So is there still the 5% of non vax kids for July or Aug?

JEANMR1

I mentioned it on another thread, but we’ve decided to sail on Celebrity for our next cruise in big part because they seem to have their act together when it comes to protocols that will allow our young, unvaccinated children to sail with as little uncertainty as possible. . 

They are sailing under the 95% vaccinated rule, but they are handling those numbers from the moment guests make their bookings. If the 95% will be exceeded, they simply don’t allow you to book. 

The guidelines are pretty clearly spelled out on their website. Still preparing for any unforeseen circumstances , but currently pretty confident that booking Celebrity was the right decision. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, txgranny said:

They say one thing this morning then another this evening. Glad I got full refund cause there would be no guarantee that 4yo could cruise.   I'll rebook next year when the stress of all this passes

I believe there is a zero tolerance regarding vaccinations for July sailings from Galveston, versus a 5% max made up of mostly kids for August cruises out of FLA.  

People need to realize that protocols will be fluid and there could be disparities from port to port, ship to ship and week to week.

• Like 1

This is for my July 27th on the Miracle out of Seattle, WA

6617b600-cbad-4bae-abbc-4b99711d11bb.png
Guest Protocols for Carnival Miracle – July 27, 2021 Sailing

Dear Carnival Guest:

We are very excited about our upcoming restart and are looking forward to welcoming you on board!   We know you are awaiting more details about pre-cruise and onboard protocols and procedures and we want to thank you for your patience while we finalized our plans.  

Our Have Fun. Be Safe. protocols and procedures have been designed to maximize the health and safety of our guests and crew while delivering a fun and memorable vacation experience. 

Please take note of our Have Fun. Be Safe. guidelines we expect to follow:
  • Guests, including children who are age-eligible for vaccines, will need to be vaccinated and show proof of vaccination in advance of boarding. (As a reminder, fully vaccinated is defined as receiving the final dose of a vaccine at least 14 days before embarkation.)  For your reference, any vaccine approved by either the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) or the World Health Organization (WHO) meets this requirement.
  • According to current CDC guidelines, vaccinated guests on your sailing will not be required to wear face masks or physical distance while on board.  However, masks are required at the cruise terminal during embarkation.
  • Vaccinated guests may participate in Carnival sponsored tours or independent activities.  We are in the process of finalizing our Alaska tours and expect more availability to be added in the next few weeks. Please check back on Carnival.com by the end of the month.
  • All guests are required to follow the protocols and requirements for each destination while ashore.  These restrictions are under the control of local government and are subject to change without advance notice.   We encourage you to come prepared for potential requirements ashore which may apply to health screening/testing, masks, physical distancing, organized tours/independent activities, etc.  
A Know Before You Go email will be sent to you the week before sailing with additional information on embarkation related matters.  Please watch for and read that email carefully, as it will be specific about vaccination verification and other details.

With everyone’s cooperation and support, we are ready to deliver a fun and healthy cruise vacation to our guests. 

We look forward to our great team welcoming you on board soon.

Sincerely,

Christine Duffy
President, Carnival Cruise Line
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Lee Cruiser said:

Once again there is conflicting information being given.  However, the website may just be Texas cruises and not August cruises from Florida.

Who said that the information and future protocols was going to be the same across every ship in the fleet?

So far it seems there is a set for Galveston in July, which will entail 100% vaccinated cruisers and 95% from FLA in August.  Probably because of the overwhelming number of cruisers that had unvaccinated kids and filled out the online exemption form for Galveston sailings.  Because of this, the protocol was put in place for 100%.  Since August is further out, there is time to process the 5% for August sailings from FLA.

September is nothing but pure speculation at this point.

Thanks, everyone, for sharing your letters.  I got one too as a passenger on one of the Vista sailings in August.  Mine was almost the same as the one posted here for the Mardi Gras.  That cruise is intended to be a 95/5 cruise with the 5% mostly composed of children under 12.  No link for me yet (not that I need it); that and other details to come soon.

• Like 1

I am booked on the 7/24 Breeze out of Galveston and the 8/21 Vista out of Galveston.  Both the July and August cruises will have a small exemption allowance (less than 5% - to allow for no-shows).  This is the form that I completed for my 7/24 Breeze cruise.  I would expect something similar for the 8/21 Vista.

COVID-19 VACCINATION EXEMPTION REQUEST FORM

Thank you for your interest in our vaccination exemption process. We are very excited for the restart of guest operations and appreciate your support and patience throughout this pause.

Based on the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) requirements for operating a cruise where 95% of guests are fully vaccinated, we are only able to accept exemptions for children under 12 and for others who need to be accommodated as required by federal law. Please be advised all other guests traveling with children under 12 are required to show proof of vaccination.

A request for an exemption can only be submitted after the booking is paid in full. Exemptions are subject to capacity control. Submitting an exemption request is not a confirmation as we are required to manage to a specific percentage of unvaccinated guests, which means the final count of vaccinated guests must be determined before we can confirm exemptions.

By submitting your request, you agree to the following protocols that will apply to all unvaccinated guests:

Testing

• All unvaccinated guests will be required to submit at embarkation the negative results of a PCR COVID-19 test taken within 72 hours prior to embarkation.
  • As per the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) guidance, unvaccinated guests will also be required to be tested at embarkation (and debarkation if the cruise is longer than 4 days). The cost of testing and administration is US$50, per person, which we will waive for guests sailing in July and August.
  • Any guest who tests positive at embarkation –along with their traveling companions –will not be able to join the ship and will be provided a future cruise credit.
  • Guests who test positive and have flown in for their cruise may be required to quarantine locally. Although Carnival will secure lodging, any expenses will be the responsibility of the guest.
  • Additional COVID-19 tests may be required by the destinations we visit prior to debarkation at the port of call.

Mask wearing

• Although generally not required, it is recommended that unvaccinated guests wear masks on board.
  • However, all unvaccinated guests must wear masks in the following instances:
    • In the terminal during the embarkation and debarkation process, during water shuttle operations, and on shore excursions.
    • The following indoor areas: kid’s club, arcade, medical center, and in spa areas (including treatment rooms).

Shore visits and excursions

• Unvaccinated guests will be limited to Carnival-approved tours and will be unable to carry out self-guided or independent exploration. These guests will also need to follow local guidance regarding testing/screening, mask wearing and physical distancing and organized tours/activities.
  • In private ports of call or port-controlled areas, unvaccinated guests may participate in self-guided or independent exploration.

We will not know the total number of exemptions available for each cruise until we have received and processed all final payments. If capacity limits are reached and we are unable to confirm your exemption, you will have the option to receive a full refund and have the option to rebook at a further date. We are unable to grant exemptions at embarkation.

We will be in touch with you via email as soon as we are able to finalize the sailing and our waitlist. Please be aware our contact center is not managing this process and cannot access the exemption waitlist. In the event we are unable to confirm your request, we remain optimistic that requirements for cruising from the U.S. will continue to evolve and our approach to future sailings will become more flexible. At this time, we must follow the guidance we have as of today. We have ship itineraries open through 2024 and if we cannot provide an exemption, we hope you will consider a future Carnival cruise for your vacation.

Thank you for your understanding. We hope to welcome you on board soon.

Given the conditions outlined above, if you would like to submit a request for an exemption, please complete the information below.

All fields with * are required. Please submit one request form for each booking.

* Primary Contact Name
* Contact Phone Number
* Contact Email
* Booking Number
* Name(s) of Guests Requesting Exemption
I hereby certify and represent that I am (or my minor child is) presently unable to receive the vaccination for COVID-19 for the following reason(s) (check all that apply):
 My child is of an age currently ineligible to receive the vaccination(s) otherwise required by Carnival’s COVID-19 Guest Protocols.
 Due to a current medical condition or medical circumstance that precludes me from safely obtaining the vaccination(s) otherwise required by Carnival’s COVID-19 Guest Protocols.
 Because the administration of vaccination(s) otherwise required by Carnival’s COVID-19 Guest Protocols conflict with my sincerely held religious beliefs, observances, or practices.
 I have made final payment on this booking and understand I will get a full refund if my request is not confirmed.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

After I submitted the Vaccination Exemption form I received this notification:

Thank you for your waitlist request. We will not know the total number of exemptions available for each cruise until we have processed all final payments that are due on June 14. We expect to begin notifying guests who agree to the protocols and verifications, beginning the week of June 21, and by order of sailing date.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Based on what I read from someone's email and the Carnival site, each cabin is going to have to submit unvaccinated status. Carnival put that little * caveat in their statements as well. This is kind of how I see this going and there is going to be a massive outcry of how "unfair" it is/was.

• It is going to have to be a lottery system or something on the lines of who booked the cruise first
  • Each cabin must submit the number of unvaccinated passengers in it
  • Each individual is treated as an individual and not per cabin
    • This means if Jack and Jane have a 5yo and 7yo both not vaccinated. The 5yo is selected to sail through the lottery and the 7yo is not, the 7yo doesn't get to sail. It wouldn't be fair for a cabin to get 2 chips in the lottery and only one needs to be selected for 2 people.
    • 95yo Gertrude isn't vaccinated and falls into that caveat * group. Her cabin mate is vaccinated. Old Gert doesn't win the lottery, her per friend is stuck with the situation to travel or not.
  • What happens on Embarkation day when they have the 5% number at 300 passengers and the lottery given out. Then 20 more no shows occur above their estimate. The cruise line needs to bump 1 non-vaccinated passenger (I know it is extreme talking about 1 person, but it could be 10). How do they determine which lottery winner(s) don't get to board the day of the cruise late in the afternoon after most have already boarded? Last one to arrive, the one with the latest boarding time, the lowest cabin class, or whatever random criteria to ruin a family's vacation?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jfaaborg said:

This is for my July 27th on the Miracle out of Seattle, WA

6617b600-cbad-4bae-abbc-4b99711d11bb.png
Guest Protocols for Carnival Miracle – July 27, 2021 Sailing

Dear Carnival Guest:

We are very excited about our upcoming restart and are looking forward to welcoming you on board!   We know you are awaiting more details about pre-cruise and onboard protocols and procedures and we want to thank you for your patience while we finalized our plans.  

Our Have Fun. Be Safe. protocols and procedures have been designed to maximize the health and safety of our guests and crew while delivering a fun and memorable vacation experience. 

Please take note of our Have Fun. Be Safe. guidelines we expect to follow:
  • Guests, including children who are age-eligible for vaccines, will need to be vaccinated and show proof of vaccination in advance of boarding. (As a reminder, fully vaccinated is defined as receiving the final dose of a vaccine at least 14 days before embarkation.)  For your reference, any vaccine approved by either the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) or the World Health Organization (WHO) meets this requirement.
  • According to current CDC guidelines, vaccinated guests on your sailing will not be required to wear face masks or physical distance while on board.  However, masks are required at the cruise terminal during embarkation.
  • Vaccinated guests may participate in Carnival sponsored tours or independent activities.  We are in the process of finalizing our Alaska tours and expect more availability to be added in the next few weeks. Please check back on Carnival.com by the end of the month.
  • All guests are required to follow the protocols and requirements for each destination while ashore.  These restrictions are under the control of local government and are subject to change without advance notice.   We encourage you to come prepared for potential requirements ashore which may apply to health screening/testing, masks, physical distancing, organized tours/independent activities, etc.  
A Know Before You Go email will be sent to you the week before sailing with additional information on embarkation related matters.  Please watch for and read that email carefully, as it will be specific about vaccination verification and other details.

With everyone’s cooperation and support, we are ready to deliver a fun and healthy cruise vacation to our guests. 

We look forward to our great team welcoming you on board soon.

Sincerely,

Christine Duffy
President, Carnival Cruise Line

Thank you for posting this! We have under-12s on and August sailing and we’re curious what the guidance would be. We’re not willing to do Carnival excursions -  we know our ports and would just be doing beach days on our own, so it’s good to see their plans (at least as of today…).

I also think it’s tough they’re asking for final payment before they approve your exemption and it may take a bit before they know. I appreciate that they are dealing with complicated and changing logistics, but most people can’t easily adjust their vacation plans at

the last minute because they aren’t sure if they’ll get an exemption.

For those that still want to sail - we hope you have a great time! We’ll be keeping an eye on it and hope to be back onboard soon once things settle out a bit more!

If I was not vaccinated or had children who were not vaccinated, I would rebook. Even if the families do get to sail, there are different rules and restrictions. I would wait until cruises opened up to families without restrictions. Just my personal opinion.

Putting my faith in the hope that my family would be one of the few exempted to make up what Carnival now states will be less than 5% is not a gamble I would take.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

If I was not vaccinated or had children who were not vaccinated, I would rebook. Even if the families do get to sail, there are different rules and restrictions. I would wait until cruises opened up to families without restrictions. Just my personal opinion.

Putting my faith in the hope that my family would be one of the few exempted to make up what Carnival now states will be less than 5% is not a gamble I would take.

^^^^^This. The 5% are almost impossible odds. Not worth it.  TN, I agree with everything you say.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Not only that, they have to be identifiable so they don't ruin the cruise for vaccinated passengers. I can't see this working at all because I know kids are not going to want to have a mask on while everyone else doesn't. After that, how do you manage those passengers not wearing their masks? Is it by individual or by cabin. If the cabin gets 3 strikes, are they disembarked at a foreign port? What is going to be done. This is why non-vaccinated cruises are crazy until the CSO is lifted.

4 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Each cabin must submit the number of unvaccinated passengers in it

• Each individual is treated as an individual and not per cabin
    • This means if Jack and Jane have a 5yo and 7yo both not vaccinated. The 5yo is selected to sail through the lottery and the 7yo is not, the 7yo doesn't get to sail. It wouldn't be fair for a cabin to get 2 chips in the lottery and only one needs to be selected for 2 people.

This is totally insane!!!! No parent is going to accept one of my children can go while the other one is not.

3 hours ago, cruisegirl06 said:

Thank you for posting this! We have under-12s on and August sailing and we’re curious what the guidance would be. We’re not willing to do Carnival excursions -  we know our ports and would just be doing beach days on our own, so it’s good to see their plans (at least as of today…).

I also think it’s tough they’re asking for final payment before they approve your exemption and it may take a bit before they know. I appreciate that they are dealing with complicated and changing logistics, but most people can’t easily adjust their vacation plans at

the last minute because they aren’t sure if they’ll get an exemption.

For those that still want to sail - we hope you have a great time! We’ll be keeping an eye on it and hope to be back onboard soon once things settle out a bit more!

You're reading about protocols for a July Alaska cruise and you are assuming that the same protocols and requirements will be in place for your August sailing that I am assuming is in the Caribbean since you mentioned going to a beach.

July Alaska sailings, July Galveston departures and August FLA departures all seem to have 3 different sets of protocols at this point. Don't  assume that they will be the same from month to month, port to port and ship to ship.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

This is totally insane!!!! No parent is going to accept one of my children can go while the other one is not.

So they switch their sailing till next year and choose another vacation method this year.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

So they switch their sailing till next year and choose another vacation method this year.

That is a reasonable response for the parents in question. I would ask why Carnival, or any other cruise line, would expect the passengers in this situation to choose the present booked cruise.

40 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

No kidding, but how are they going to do it fairly is the question. I don't see it being fair for a family with 1 unvaccinated child having 1 chance in a lottery system while a family with 2 kids have 2 chances. In all fairness, the cabin should have 1 chip in the pot for each kid, but if one is selected, the other one is not automatically selected. Its going to be interesting on how they make this a fair practice because there will be more than 5% booked that are not vaccinated. 

1 minute ago, AtoZgirl said:

The way it reads, is these under 12 will not be required to wear masks, except during embarkation/debarkation, at the kids club, arcade, spa and medical center.

AC469F54-88A1-4FB1-A07B-9ACF90816924.jpeg

And on Carnival sponsored excursions.

22 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

"and other exceptions as required by federal law)"  Children are not sources of ship revenue.

Children can be just as valuable to the organization as any paying adult. For example, many sectors within tourism market their product as a family experience or destination such as theme parks and even cruise lines. It’s just as important to strike an impact and build a connection through memories with the younger generation who will be part of the next series of revenue generators as it is with those providing the payment. Memories, nostalgia and emotional connections play a big contribution to the success of the mouse and even Carnival. As much as I dislike Carnival, their fan base is very enthusiastic and loyal based on some of those factors.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Tapi said:

I mentioned it on another thread, but we’ve decided to sail on Celebrity for our next cruise in big part because they seem to have their act together when it comes to protocols that will allow our young, unvaccinated children to sail with as little uncertainty as possible. . 

They are sailing under the 95% vaccinated rule, but they are handling those numbers from the moment guests make their bookings. If the 95% will be exceeded, they simply don’t allow you to book. 

The guidelines are pretty clearly spelled out on their website. Still preparing for any unforeseen circumstances , but currently pretty confident that booking Celebrity was the right decision. 

Good choice. It’s also a line that draws somewhat fewer young children to begin with. It would have been hard for Carnival to plan ahead for the current requirements and likely there are several scheduled cruises where they’ve already exceeded the exemption percentage. Now of course if some of those cancel voluntarily the numbers might work themselves out.

7 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

Good choice. It’s also a line that draws somewhat fewer young children to begin with.

I agree. The children count on lines like Celebrity and Holland America is normally a fraction of what it is on Carnival and other family friendly cruise lines. Our last cruise was on Holland America (Feb 2020) and the kid count was 110 out of 2,600 passengers. Had that sailing operated under the current restrictions, they would’ve been able to keep the children count under 5% without having to deny boarding to anybody.

As a side note, even though these cruise lines aren’t as “kid friendly”, my children have enjoyed them tremendously. One of the reasons why they loved our last cruise on HAL so much was exactly because there weren’t too many kids onboard. The kids club wasn’t packed so the counselors could provide a more personal experience. They also had an opportunity to make real friends. Since the groups were so small, they were with the same exact 10-15 kids every time.

• Like 3