Sky suite vs Aqua class

Cdresser

7 hours ago, Miaminice said:

Well, it´s not a matter of service or food. Both venues are great. However, I have to admit it´s probably the people... We have had fantastic conversations in Blu and created friendships lasting for years. And yes, we have also met nice people in Luminae. But in Blu it feels less pretentious and the conversations are not about "we have done this suite and that suite..." 🙂 

For more or less the same reason we don´t frequent Michael´s or visit the CC events. If we wanted a more exclusive feeling, we´d book a different class of cruise or ship. We simply enjoy or cruise - and look for quiet and empty spots 🙂 

Isn't that interesting.  I see many posters here who do not like the close two top layout in Blu, but I quite like it.  I don't feel like others are listening in...although it's easy to strike up a conversation with folks next door if you choose.  Thanks for responding.

1 hour ago, marieps said:

Isn't that interesting.  I see many posters here who do not like the close two top layout in Blu, but I quite like it.  I don't feel like others are listening in...although it's easy to strike up a conversation with folks next door if you choose.  Thanks for responding.

🙂 Same here 👍
I think the distancing in Blu is just fine - maybe with the exception of Reflection, which is a little more crowded. 

It´s easy to talk to the people on the next table - and it´s easy not to.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, marieps said:

We have been in AQ multiple times and love Blu.  We are in suites for our next three =X= voyages.  I'm very interested in why you prefer Blu over Luminae.  We've never dined there so opinions from those who've done each are welcomed.  Thanks for your input.

We enjoy SS over Aqua. Blu has a limited menu. So does Luminae on the Edge class ships. Photos are from Luminae.IMG_20160907_130619524.thumb.jpg.5def7dc63a17d5184f8ccdd9ed459803.jpgIMG_20160909_230244501.thumb.jpg.05b4c85f96503729e68a2a44f5775493.jpgIMG_20160905_191105061.thumb.jpg.08f62c7a50dd5528885192f9e96402ef.jpgIMG_20160905_191700044.thumb.jpg.d950902e9634e4e6fa0ac320a23af26a.jpgIMG_20180326_132058084.thumb.jpg.819d26f61700726be4fa3b98031e2059.jpgIMG_20191003_124030447.thumb.jpg.d7ec425c6285b36905713af803f5177a.jpgIMG_20180326_193743845.thumb.jpg.f939a2876ee6daeec7c5678e305fb4bf.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bigbenboys said:

We enjoy SS over Aqua. Blu has a limited menu. So does Luminae on the Edge class ships. Photos are from Luminae.IMG_20160907_130619524.thumb.jpg.5def7dc63a17d5184f8ccdd9ed459803.jpgIMG_20160909_230244501.thumb.jpg.05b4c85f96503729e68a2a44f5775493.jpgIMG_20160905_191105061.thumb.jpg.08f62c7a50dd5528885192f9e96402ef.jpgIMG_20160905_191700044.thumb.jpg.d950902e9634e4e6fa0ac320a23af26a.jpgIMG_20180326_132058084.thumb.jpg.819d26f61700726be4fa3b98031e2059.jpgIMG_20191003_124030447.thumb.jpg.d7ec425c6285b36905713af803f5177a.jpgIMG_20180326_193743845.thumb.jpg.f939a2876ee6daeec7c5678e305fb4bf.jpg

Those are awesome.  Thanks so much for posting!!

We are hoping to have our first suite experience in July on the Silhouette (UK seacation). We very much enjoy Aqua and will book it if the price is right. 

We like Blu and are looking forward to Luminae. At least with the U.K. sailing and only 2 ports in 6 days, we can enjoy all the ship, and Retreat, has to offer. Now all we need is for the British weather to oblige 😂🤞.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2021 at 8:44 AM, Cdresser said:

DH and I have sailed in Aqua class, twice in an RS, and once in an Edge Villa. We have never sailed in a Sky Suite. For our next cruise, we are debating between a Sky or Aqua class. For those who have done both, did you think the price difference was worth it for the Sky Suite? We enjoy Blu more than luminae and don't really use the sundeck so the main difference for us would be the butler and the room size. DH really loves the persian garden but I have assured him we could get passes for that with our OBC. We had a bad experience with our room attendent when we sailed Aqua but I don't think it was typical- he disappeared after 2 days and we had a series of fill ins for the rest of the cruise who did not even want to have us order room service. I don't expect butler level attention but I don't want to argue with someone just to get basic housekeeping service.

Regardless of what we book, I will probably try for a move up bid to a higher level suite but I want to feel  good about whatever we book in case our bid is not successful (or the minimum bid is out of our price range).

This is a difficult question to answer, as you have been in an RS and villa...kudos on the villa.  I was lucky to see one, but it was too pricy for my DH and all the steps might get old when doing a two week cruise/TA.  Although the exercize would be great.  Also being closer to everything can be a plus!  I like the S1 corner afts because of the huge balcony and the wake, but that is just me and a few cruise buddies.  If your AQ room wasn't too tight. I would give it another try because you seem to really like Blu.  You can check for space available in Blu if you are in a suite, but you probably know that. Anyway, good luck on your choice and have a great cruise!

My DH just reminded me that we actually did end up eating in Blu more than Luminae on one cruise, as the food was excellent!

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

On 6/17/2021 at 8:59 AM, marieps said:

Yeah, it’s a personal thing. I find them too close for comfort, but just far enough away that it’s a bit awkward because people are trying to avoid eye contact out of courtesy.

On 6/16/2021 at 11:44 AM, Cdresser said:

DH and I have sailed in Aqua class, twice in an RS, and once in an Edge Villa. We have never sailed in a Sky Suite. For our next cruise, we are debating between a Sky or Aqua class. For those who have done both, did you think the price difference was worth it for the Sky Suite? We enjoy Blu more than luminae and don't really use the sundeck so the main difference for us would be the butler and the room size. DH really loves the persian garden but I have assured him we could get passes for that with our OBC. We had a bad experience with our room attendent when we sailed Aqua but I don't think it was typical- he disappeared after 2 days and we had a series of fill ins for the rest of the cruise who did not even want to have us order room service. I don't expect butler level attention but I don't want to argue with someone just to get basic housekeeping service.

Regardless of what we book, I will probably try for a move up bid to a higher level suite but I want to feel  good about whatever we book in case our bid is not successful (or the minimum bid is out of our price range).

We have done a Sky Suite once and Aqua once, both times with upgrades, not paying full price.   Both were nice, but we just don't feel either is worth the cost over a balcony cabin.

On 6/16/2021 at 10:44 AM, Cdresser said:

Sorry this is a late reply. We’ve done AQ for several weeks, then Sky Suite, one Royal, the back to an inside cabin a few months later, so I know what it’s like to go from more space than you need to, “little bitty living space”.

The Sky Suite coming form an Aqua felt like going from a cruise ship cabin to a small city hotel room - we stayed at a nice hotel in Paris in a room that was probably smaller than our Edge inside cabin!

As others have said, the real question is do you want something different- different food, Persian Garden, lots of shade? Or do you spend a lot of time sunning on the balcony- no sun in AQ.

For us it’s a different decision based on length and itinerary - we have some travel partner friends - we did the Royal on an 11 day Caribbean, which was their first cruise in years - the extra space was great for being together during the day and they were quite happy with their Sky Suite. We have two more cruises planned with them - a British Isles on Apex where we’re both in IVs, then back in the fall for the Apex TA where we will have 2 Sky Suites.

• Like 1

Would choose Luminae and the Retreat Lounge over Blu. We had good service in Blu but we thought the service in Luminae was better and the 2 tops in Blu are practically on top of each other. 

• Like 2

On 6/17/2021 at 4:24 AM, Miaminice said:

Noted and accepted 🙂
However, the old Michael´s felt like a dungeon to me - might be different in the new Retreat.

It's interesting how different people's tastes can be.  We loved the old Michaels Club - it felt warm and cozy and really had an old time ocean liner "club" feel to it.  The new Retreat is ultra modern, as bright as a hospital operating room, and in our opinion physically uncomfortable.  

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

It's interesting how different people's tastes can be.  We loved the old Michaels Club - it felt warm and cozy and really had an old time ocean liner "club" feel to it.  The new Retreat is ultra modern, as bright as a hospital operating room, and in our opinion physically uncomfortable.  

It is. I've only been in Michaels on reflection and Retreat on equinox.

I thought Michaels was dark and a bit dingy and very very crowded with furniture and occasionally with people (even though the space is much larger than on Equinox). I also didn't like the passed snacks vs getting your own (obviously pre-Covid) - with the get your own you could have 2 of the one you liked and pass on the ones you didn't, on Reflection the servers were so busy you got a premade plate of one of each, no matter what. The Equinox snacks were better for the purpose - more like bar snacks and less like slightly wilted canapes.

The downsides of new Retreat is the coffee table waiting to break your shins as someone pointed out, and some of the furniture was beyond ridiculous (I"m not sure that furniture survives the shut down, I think some of it was changed during our cruise)/ The banquettes were great for sharing drinks and conversation with a couple of other people.

I think you answered your own question.   You have sailed in AQ and suites.   Why would any one else’s opinion change your opinion and experience?    

But since you asked here is my opinion.  Book inside cabin and bid up to a suite.   🤗

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

We love Aq class and Blu over standard verandah cabins and the MDR and had one on the Infinty cruise that got canceled this week. We took our 125% FCC and snagged an aft facing Sky Suite on the August 27th 10 day cruise on the Equinox.  The extra 25% credit let us upgrade to the SS with nothing more out of pocket.  We have 4 sea days so we figured we will get a lot of use of 5he retreat. This is our first suite experience and looking forward to this cruise. With all the suite perks and $600 OBC,  this was a no brainer for us.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Resurrecting this older thread since I need to reschedule a cruise on the Summit to next year. Currently booked in Aqua but just read about the new Aqua Sky Suites. Trying to decide between the two, and so this thread is helpful. There are probably more if I search around. 

It looks like the only AQ Sky Suite rooms on the Summit are the ones towards aft on Deck 6. I try to stay pretty close to mid-ships on account of motion issues. The deck plans are very confusing in that they refer to Sky Suite (S1 and S2) but no distinction is made as to whether it's a regular SS room or AQ SS. I wish the exact type of room would come up when  you click on one. Sometimes the color gradations are tough to tell apart also. 

15 minutes ago, AnyWayIsGood said:

Resurrecting this older thread since I need to reschedule a cruise on the Summit to next year. Currently booked in Aqua but just read about the new Aqua Sky Suites. Trying to decide between the two, and so this thread is helpful. There are probably more if I search around. 

When it comes to the new Aqua Sky Suite. M Class ships my feelings are all sky suites are nice. Now with the S Class ships. The new Aqua SS are in the best location deck 12. As they are under the carpeted area of the Oceanview Cafe.

4 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

M Class ships

I must profess some degree of ignorance. We've only ever been on the Summit and Infinity - are those M or S class??  I think probably M. As to being on deck 12 - not sure I'd care to be that far up - much more motion up there. 

Edited by AnyWayIsGood

Just now, AnyWayIsGood said:

I must profess some degree of ignorance. We've only ever been on the Summit and Infinity - are those M or S class??

Yes M Class are Millennium, Summit, Infinity, Constellation. The Class is the 1st letter of a new ship type. S Class are Solstice and then the new E Class as in Edge. M Class ships are now my favorite.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On Summit sailings after April 2023, the S1s are rebranded as AS, and the S2s rebrand as S1s.  The cabin interiors are identical except for 6145/6, which have much bigger bathrooms and different doors to their bigger balconies. The AS (formerly S1) cabins have bigger balconies.  The S1 (formerly S2) have standard, uniformly sized balconies.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AnyWayIsGood said:

Interesting...how come?  So I've been looking at the deck plans and am confused over what the difference is between S1 and S2 rooms. 

With the M Class I like deck 6 with most suites in the same area. Right down to deck 4 for Luminae.

S Class deck 12 the new Aqua SS are in my favorite location as you can go right out to the pool or up one deck for OceanView Cafe for food or snacks back to the suite.

Tough decision as to AQ or AQ sky suite. Not sure I want to shell out the extra money for the sake of having Retreat access and the Luminae option. Then there is mention (with the Sky rooms) of having thermal suite access. Can't speak for the bigger ships having never been on any, but as far as the Summit is concerned, isn't the Persian Garden the only sort of spa facility onboard?  Then of course there's butler service, which we may or may not even use. 

10 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

On Summit sailings after April 2023, the S1s are rebranded as AS, and the S2s rebrand as S1s

Thanks for this info! I have to revisit the deck plans since I noticed briefly that different sailing dates show a different room configuration / branding, but didn't have sufficient time to really compare them.  So based on what you're saying the current S1s are the AQ sky suites but are not currently designated as such on the plans. 

Edited by AnyWayIsGood

7 minutes ago, AnyWayIsGood said:

Tough decision as to AQ or AQ sky suite. Not sure I want to shell out the extra money for the sake of having Retreat access and the Luminae option. Then there is mention (with the Sky rooms) of having thermal suite access. Can't speak for the bigger ships having never been on any, but as far as the Summit is concerned, isn't the Persian Garden the only sort of spa facility onboard?  Then of course there's butler service, which we may or may not even use. 

Unless you really are going to use the spa services, the AQ Sky Suite is not for you, it costs much more than a Standard Sky Suite. I felt the same as you do believing that all we needed was standard Aqua Class cabins, until we sailed in a Sky Suite last year on the Equinox. It was so much more than what we expected and now we are ONLY booking Celebrity cruises in the Retreat and have 6 future ones booked. We even canceled 2 cruises on RCL and Oceania to switch to the Reflection and Equinox in Sky Suites. If the thermal suites are a big thing for you, book a Sky Suite and day passes to the spa, monetarily you probably will be ahead.

Edited by terrydtx