1 COVID positive passenger and 4 quarantining on 6/15 Orion Bermuda Cruise

B_A_H

42 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Though I’m much too lazy to research it, is this “quarantine after a contract tracing hit” a Bermuda thing only?  Or do other countries require this?

Contact tracing has been used by our Public Health since day 1. Been very effective in managing the pandemic and keeping our numbers low.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Though I’m much too lazy to research it, is this “quarantine after a contract tracing hit” a Bermuda thing only?  Or do other countries require this?

No, it is the correct PH way of doing things.  It was tried in the US, but there apparently were a lot of people who refused to comply.  

The thing is, all of the tests out there do NOT test for live virus, and this is the failure of all the testing we currently have…..particularly now with a good chunk vaccinated.  A positive test in a vaccinated person could be that this person’s immune system encountered the virus, killed it and the virus is shed.  That doesn’t make you a carrier, it means that the vaccine worked the way it is supposed to.

I think Viking isolating them and retesting is a good idea.  

• Like 4

Here is what Steve just posted. He doesn't have to quarantine if he tests negative.

When we get back to our room, they will do a PCR test. We wait in our room for 4 hours for the results of that test. If successful, which it will be, we are free to roam the ship just like normal. This is normal Viking health protocol. It was the Bermuda government who initially wanted us quarrentined off shore for 14 days.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, stretchcruz said:

Here is what Steve just posted. He doesn't have to quarantine if he tests negative.

When we get back to our room, they will do a PCR test. We wait in our room for 4 hours for the results of that test. If successful, which it will be, we are free to roam the ship just like normal. This is normal Viking health protocol. It was the Bermuda government who initially wanted us quarrentined off shore for 14 days.

Yeah.  Just ignore the studies that say the PCR test will show 100% false negative within the first 48 hours of exposure, and that it can take up to 10-14 days to become positive.  This is why Bermuda wants to quarantine him.  Viking is nuts for thinking that this one test will clear him.  Best of luck, though.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

What is the point of spending all that money and going?

A break in the long, dull routine of the last year’s quarantine.  A chance to experience new sights, sounds and culture.  A chance to spend quality time with my daughter without the “interruptions” of day to day life on the home front.  A week where someone else will make my bed, clean my bathroom, cook my meals and do the dishes.  It is always fun to meet new people and we have enjoyed meeting many people on our voyages but it is not the primary impetus for our travels.  This is a short trip, a chance to dip our toes into the waters again, that’s all.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, dwlmg said:

There is a facebook post from one of the people put ashore. Apparently Viking worked a miracle with the government and the people involved are back aboard the Viking ship in their same room.

No miracle, more like calling in favors and peddling influence and before anyone calls that bluster, look no further than the below which clearly shows Viking has presence in Bermuda (like many other companies making use of their favourable tax laws, etc)

https://www.dnb.com/business-directory/company-profiles.viking_cruises_ltd.7889ba5a377f1269ba8039f54a8a692a.html

• Like 2

Has anyone managed to understand why there was cause to quarantine anyone in the first place? According to Bermuda’s published policy, close contact to an infected person only calls for quarantining if both were unmasked. Personally I wouldn’t be in minibus of strangers unmasked while on a cruise.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, WanderingBrit said:

Has anyone managed to understand why there was cause to quarantine anyone in the first place? According to Bermuda’s published policy, close contact to an infected person only calls for quarantining if both were unmasked. Personally I wouldn’t be in minibus of strangers unmasked while on a cruise.

Were they strangers? 

Were they masked?

What say ye, minivan driver?

Since the infection came from "home", it could have been anyone, including your travelling companion that you do feel comfortable with unmasked. There are so many variables and possibilities with this bug.

I think we'll never know.

1 hour ago, WanderingBrit said:

Has anyone managed to understand why there was cause to quarantine anyone in the first place? According to Bermuda’s published policy, close contact to an infected person only calls for quarantining if both were unmasked....

According to SR’s initial post, they “followed all mask protocols.” I read that because they were masked on the excursion, they were allowed to return to the ship at Viking’s urging, as that was within Bermuda’s protocols.

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, molymoo said:

A break in the long, dull routine of the last year’s quarantine.  A chance to experience new sights, sounds and culture.  A chance to spend quality time with my daughter without the “interruptions” of day to day life on the home front.  A week where someone else will make my bed, clean my bathroom, cook my meals and do the dishes.  It is always fun to meet new people and we have enjoyed meeting many people on our voyages but it is not the primary impetus for our travels.  This is a short trip, a chance to dip our toes into the waters again, that’s all.

We so love your wonderful attitude and positive nature!  You must be a very happy well grounded person.  Enjoy your posts of reason and perspective !

• Like 8

7 hours ago, molymoo said:

Amen. These trips are a huge step forward, especially during a pandemic. Yes we should expect blips along the way. The more blips occur. the faster Viking will right the ship. We are all figuring this out together. For those vaccinated and willing to travel at a very low risk, the payoff is huge—the joys of cruising which you captured. Great post molymoo!

Edited by rbslos18
  • Like 5

18 hours ago, jtwind said:

Yeah.  Just ignore the studies that say the PCR test will show 100% false negative within the first 48 hours of exposure, and that it can take up to 10-14 days to become positive.  This is why Bermuda wants to quarantine him.  Viking is nuts for thinking that this one test will clear him.  Best of luck, though.

We are talking about vaccinated people being tested.  Statistically when you mass test a low risk population you will get more false positives.  It is my guess (as well as everyone there by the looks of it) that the positive test was likely a false positive.  But- even if it wasn't a false positive, the risk of a vaccinated person wearing a mask actually contracting covid from this positive person (who was also vaccinated and wearing a mask) is extremely low.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, shadowlover said:

We are talking about vaccinated people being tested.  Statistically when you mass test a low risk population you will get more false positives.  It is my guess (as well as everyone there by the looks of it) that the positive test was likely a false positive.  But- even if it wasn't a false positive, the risk of a vaccinated person wearing a mask actually contracting covid from this positive person (who was also vaccinated and wearing a mask) is extremely low.

Rare occurrences happen. People do win the lottery. My guess is there may be some missing information. Nothing I have been told by epidemiologists or read suggests two people wearing good masks can infect/contract COVID. This would be a game changer.

55 minutes ago, shadowlover said:

Weather or not it is a false positive is conjecture. The individual that tested positive, along with their travel partner are quarantining in a Bermuda hotel. The issue of false or true positive will never be known because Bermuda does not permit a retest. The folks "in close contact" have been returned to the ship, tested and freed.

This is the new world travel reality, science or not.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, MRGACRUZR said:

Weather or not it is a false positive is conjecture. The individual that tested positive, along with their travel partner are quarantining in a Bermuda hotel. The issue of false or true positive will never be known because Bermuda does not permit a retest. The folks "in close contact" have been returned to the ship, tested and freed.

This is the new world travel reality, science or not.

Hope you are enjoying your sea day. From the ship's webcam, you have calm seas.

When do you take the test for flying back to the US? Is it the saliva test you have been taking daily?

Good to know no more positive cases today on board. 

Edited by Azulann

1 hour ago, shadowlover said:

When dealing with Governments and international travel, I recall the days when logic and science were rarely considered. What ever some Govt Official decided was what we had to follow, with negotiation rarely successful.

This is just another example of what was common place when I went to sea. Until this COVID pandemic recedes, you can expect these types of decisions to continue.

• Like 4

MRGACRUZR  We really do appreciate your information and glad to hear that guests who were involved but negative are free to move about the ship.   We arrived Bermuda on Tuesday and will be doing a back to back on the Orion Bermuda cruise.  We tested yesterday and now 24 hours later have yet to received our Bermuda authorization to travel to the island.  Hopefully just a time glitch for all those who are traveling to the island now that summer break with kids.  The ship must be very comfortable with only 300+ vaccinated  guests onboard as well as all wearing masks.  

Traveling now has its problems. Nobody wants to get sick ever.  Even if fully vaccinated, just complying with existing covid regulations can be tricky. Anyone who booked return cruises this summer should’ve been aware of risks.  When traveling and dealing with foreign countries, things can be tough. I applaud those brave cruisers who are willing to take risks.  Hope that any problems can be easily resolved. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Traveling now has its problems. Nobody wants to get sick ever.  Even if fully vaccinated, just complying with existing covid regulations can be tricky. Anyone who booked return cruises this summer should’ve been aware of risks.  When traveling and dealing with foreign countries, things can be tough. I applaud those brave cruisers who are willing to take risks.  Hope that any problems can be easily resolved. 

Its funny you say nobody wants to get sick ever.  In reviewing the Viking Covid 19 P&P again I realized it says we can be asked to leave the ship any quarantine for ANY communicable disease.  So apparently they reserve the right to refuse passage for anyone with Norovirus or the Flu.  

1 hour ago, Azulann said:

Hope you are enjoying your sea day. From the ship's webcam, you have calm seas.

When do you take the test for flying back to the US? Is it the saliva test you have been taking daily?

Good to know no more positive cases today on board. 

We are enjoying the sea day. We splurged and got an Explorers suite on the back of the ship. We're "resting" on the daybed on the wrap around deck, listening to the ocean go by.

It will be the saliva test. They gave us some info today with our luggage tags. They will provide us with the test results but, not sure if it will be based on tomorrow's spit test or Tuesdays. All cabins have to be vacated by 8AM. So far, based on the folks I've talked to, departures from the ship are around noon. Not sure why they aren't just dumping us at the airport; waiting for test results, agreement not to clog the airport, I just don't know. So, I guess we'll land in the Explorers lounge for 4 hours. Better than the airport.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, 3rdtimecruising said:

MRGACRUZR  We really do appreciate your information and glad to hear that guests who were involved but negative are free to move about the ship.   We arrived Bermuda on Tuesday and will be doing a back to back on the Orion Bermuda cruise.  We tested yesterday and now 24 hours later have yet to received our Bermuda authorization to travel to the island.  Hopefully just a time glitch for all those who are traveling to the island now that summer break with kids.  The ship must be very comfortable with only 300+ vaccinated  guests onboard as well as all wearing masks.  

We had to call the telephone number on the acknowledgement, from Bermuda, to get ours approved after waiting 48 hours. There was talk of a glitch in a new system. It has been wonderful. No lines for anything. Three waiters trying to help you at the same time, never wanting for a drink. It's been wonderful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 3rdtimecruising said:

Not much happens in Bermuda on a Sunday and this is a major holiday weekend in Bermuda. The holiday is tomorrow. 

How do you upload your COVID test results to the Bermuda Authorization form?  I am a tech challenged senior who is traveling solo on Aug 3. I am a part time teacher and I really need this nice vacation. it has been my toughest teaching  year and I have been doing it a looong time!  ps. I am also looking for help from friends And family as well. Gailellen12 

• Like 1