Grand Turk Port Closed Until October 1

Lee Cruiser

So it looks like Grand Turk is out until October 1.  Our September Sunrise cruise still has Grand Turk listed as one of the three ports, along with Nassau and Half Moon Cay.  I wonder what port Carnival will substitute for Grand Turk.  I hope it is not Amber Cove.  We will already stay on the ship in Nassau and that would make two ports.  Hopefully they will announce the changes soon.

https://tcweeklynews.com/carnival-back-by-october-bigger-and-better-premier-assures-p11696-127.htm

1 hour ago, Lee Cruiser said:

So it looks like Grand Turk is out until October 1.  Our September Sunrise cruise still has Grand Turk listed as one of the three ports, along with Nassau and Half Moon Cay.  I wonder what port Carnival will substitute for Grand Turk.  I hope it is not Amber Cove.  We will already stay on the ship in Nassau and that would make two ports.  Hopefully they will announce the changes soon.

https://tcweeklynews.com/carnival-back-by-october-bigger-and-better-premier-assures-p11696-127.htm

For our August MG cruise they gave us Nassau in place of Grand Turk. 

1 hour ago, jsglow said:

Our late August cruise is headed to Bimini instead of GT.

That would probably make the most sense because it is close to the other ports.  Now that I look at the map, Amber Cove is probably too far for a five day cruise.

9 hours ago, NYcruzzer said:

Would  Bimini a tender or dock port  for a Carnival ship ?

I have been to Bimini twice altho 20 some years ago, I am sure it will be  tender port and this is a small island and will be interesting to see if they will be able to handle so many people coming ashore.  I enjoyed my visits because it was not touristy and I will follow if and when they do go there and reflections of passengers who go ashore.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Lee Cruiser said:

That would probably make the most sense because it is close to the other ports.  Now that I look at the map, Amber Cove is probably too far for a five day cruise.

Yep.  I think Amber is a typical stop on a 6 day. 

2 hours ago, beachbum53 said:

It's probably too much to hope for that Carnival will ban the vendors from the beach area at Grand Turk when it reopens to cruises. 

Kidding aside, that is probably why Carnival is holding off on sailing there at first: contact with locals is all but guaranteed as soon as you step onto the beach - although I will note they are offering sailings with Grand Turk as a port in Sept, so not sure how they can do that if GT closed until October...

Edited by ProgRockCruiser

11 hours ago, Lee Cruiser said:

We visited Amber Cove on a 5-day out of Port Canaveral.  It should still be within reach from Miami.

3 hours ago, elklemi said:

I have been to Bimini twice altho 20 some years ago, I am sure it will be  tender port and this is a small island and will be interesting to see if they will be able to handle so many people coming ashore.  I enjoyed my visits because it was not touristy and I will follow if and when they do go there and reflections of passengers who go ashore.

Yeah, there's no way it isn't a tender port.  Tiny Alice Town exists really to be the Bahamas jump off point for sailors coming from FLA.  This will be a nice little boost for the economy and will most assuredly NOT have a Diamonds International for the American tourists!

8 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

We visited Amber Cove on a 5-day out of Port Canaveral.  It should still be within reach from Miami.

Yes, very true.  But when done as a 5 day out of either Port Canaveral or rarely Miami is was always a 2 port, 2 sea day cruise that included Grand Turk.

5 hours ago, crooooze said:

I hear that the Grand Turk Ministry of Tourism is using these next several months to squeeze 1,000 more "$20-per-use" beach umbrellas between the free green ones and the water. 🤪

Well, it does say they are spending money on upgrades.  Hopefully that's not where some of it is going. 😀

Edited by Lee Cruiser

4 hours ago, misguy said:

We just booked the Sunrise for Sept 25 and it is showing GT, AC, and Nassau.

That's the cruise we are on as well.  Hopefully the article is wrong and GT will open before October.  If not, my guess is that it will be Bimini like the August Sunrise cruises.