Carnival Newbie

Which is better Horizon or Magic?  They both have the same exact itinerary 8 day Southern which is my "bucket" list cruise.  I just can't decide which ship we would like better.  This would be our first Carnival cruise!  We are an older couple. Hoping not too many kids on this long cruise. We like to sit around and do nothing all day. Drinks food/entertainment are our top priority.  We plan to visit Serenity a lot. We need help deciding!

I have not cruised, but I am on the Magic in November. Been looking at a lot of things for that cruise. Just my opinion, Horizon has more specialty dining options. I am not too sure about the Skyride. It also has an IMax theater in it. The specialty dining options is what I think I would miss on the Magic, but that may be about it.

As for kids, I like seeing kids around on vacation. It gives me a chance to do cannonballs in the pool too. 

Never been on Horizon, but have on Magic. Couple of years ago. From the pictures, I believe I like Magic better. Horizon seems to have a more modern looking decor. The theme on Magic is prettier to me. I also personally like sailing out of Port Canaveral vs Miami. I’m sure you’ll get plenty of other opinions!

The Southern Caribbean is my favorite! We’ve done it twice now. Had another booked before COVID, but decided not to rebook that itinerary because others in our group wanted to do a different itinerary.  Also usually in the Fall/Winter there aren’t that many kids.

Edited by Bostwick girl
Additional info.

I've cruised on the Magic and also on the Vista & Panorama, both of which are like the Horizon.  
Vista Class:  Much nicer ship overall with more to do.  Buffet area setup is much better.  The new elevator systems eliminates the need for everyone to crowd to the next available elevator.  They are nicer ships overall than the Dream class.

Dream Class:  Much nicer atrium area and the theater is 1000% better than the Vista class.  This is where the Vista class is a negative.  The Vista class theater setup is horrible.  The Dream class lines were much shorter on our cruises.  When we cruised the Vista class, we had to leave earlier and stand in lines longer to get good seats at shows.

If you have never cruised on either one, then you can't lose.  They are both nice ships and both will have pros and cons. 

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 2

I've sailed them both and honestly, they are both great!!  I don't think either will let you down.  The decor on the Horizon is a little more "modern" and toned down.  The Magic was one of the last ships the previous designer had his hands in.  As was mentioned by others, the dining and iMax will probably be the biggest differences.  I would recommend using Carnival's cruise ship compare tool and see if any of the dining options / entertainment interest you more.

https://www.carnival.com/cruise-ships/compare-cruise-ships

• Thanks 1

Just gonna add that Horizon, like Vista and that class of ship has less pool/hot tub than the smaller ships like Magic.  At least the last time I was on Freedom... it was much easier to find a hot tub or space in a pool than on Vista.  Its a non-issue if you book Havana on the larger class ships as you get a private pool area that way.

Edited by arkaine23

1 hour ago, cruisekitty22 said:

Hoping not too many kids on this long cruise.

If you’d prefer fewer children on the cruise, just watch your calendar carefully! Avoid any time massive amounts of American kids have school holidays—Summer, Winter Break (usually mid February), Spring Break, etc. 

I am acutely aware of the difference because I sometimes travel with my elementary school age Grandkids.

And since some kids seem to be on any larger cruise these days (home schooled? Different country with different school vacation schedule? Truants?...) then which kid-oriented amenities are on the ship would come into play.  Haven’t cruised on Horizon or Magic so can’t help there.

4 hours ago, cruisekitty22 said:

Which is better Horizon or Magic?  They both have the same exact itinerary 8 day Southern which is my "bucket" list cruise.  I just can't decide which ship we would like better.  This would be our first Carnival cruise!  We are an older couple. Hoping not too many kids on this long cruise. We like to sit around and do nothing all day. Drinks food/entertainment are our top priority.  We plan to visit Serenity a lot. We need help deciding!

Have you considered booking a spa cabin? Dream class has the best spa with the t pool and minerals and heated benches included with a spa cabin booking. ..magic

Horizon will have more specialty pay restaurants but has a smaller theater and comedy club and enclosed promenade deck.

I have one of each class booked next 2. Vista is horizon same class and I'm looking forward to JiJis to eat. But breeze is the next after magic and I loved magic. 

Horizon you can book the Havana area which has it's own area and much loved for always getting a lounge chair and better service...but the spa area isnt as good as magic.

If you book spa or Havana my answer changes.

8 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I've found that cruising in September is a time when there are a lot less kids.  Also, ports like Port Canaveral tend to have a lot of families.

Probably less kids but the height of hurricane season.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mexicobob said:

There's always risk. Hurricane season starts beginning of June. Granted it's a roll of the dice, but I'm willing to take that risk. However firefly got caught up it in it in Galveston and destroyed her car.

It's a risk we all must consider when sailing out of Gulf ports from June to Nov. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, mexicobob said:

Yes, it is.  Two of my September cruises were completely rerouted with different itineraries.  However, the ships were able to sail into great weather.  It is a bit stressful and we definitely watch the hurricane paths. Other than that, I love cruising in September.  The weather is great.

• Like 1

I have sailed Horizon, Breeze and Dream. I recently just booked the Horizon again as It has been the best cruise I have ever been on. That is due to one simple reason the Havana area. It is a game changer. But if you take that out of the equation I might still have to go with Horizon. I really enjoy the pig and anchor smoke house on the Horizon. Jiji's is also a huge win. I prefer the lay out of deck 5 on horizon and where the Alchemy bar sits. Magic wins with the bigger atrium, comedy club and main theater. I think you will have fun on either but Horizon would be my choice. 

• Like 2

Never been on the Horizon but like some here I've been on the Vista twice and have two more booked on her and I adore that ship. I've never noticed a huge issue with children to be honest on any Carnival cruise although they are heavy at the main pool and water park as to be expected, they often stay busy in their own way and in their own places. Most (all?) Carnival ships have an adults only area and the Vista is the same. It's calmer with it's own lounging areas, hot tubs, bar and even lunch counter. In addition deck five on the Vista extends out from the ship and is loaded with areas to hang out and being several decks away from the pool/water park/ buffet areas there are rarely any kids there at all, so it's a good place to find some quiet(er) places as well if you should find a lot of kids on your vessel with bars and places to grab food still being an easy reach. I hope you enjoy your cruise no matter what you choose!  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, tap_out said:

I have sailed Horizon, Breeze and Dream. I recently just booked the Horizon again as It has been the best cruise I have ever been on. That is due to one simple reason the Havana area. It is a game changer. But if you take that out of the equation I might still have to go with Horizon. I really enjoy the pig and anchor smoke house on the Horizon. Jiji's is also a huge win. I prefer the lay out of deck 5 on horizon and where the Alchemy bar sits. Magic wins with the bigger atrium, comedy club and main theater. I think you will have fun on either but Horizon would be my choice. 

I'm the opposite on deck 5 lay out. I really love the big windows where you can stop and sit and look out at the ocean. Age thing maybe, as I like to sit in the ac along there when it's so hot at the pool. The vista class is al, closed in.

I hated the bbq being outside on vista, my cole slaw and potato salad were melty. Much prefer magic again for the bbq being inside and the food not sitting out in the heat, and much more seating. Having the bbq outside on vista was really stupid to me and not enough seating.

JiJis on vista is a winner though. I cant wait for vista for JiJis the first night. 

If I was a spa fan, magic, Havana goes to vista. ..solved the problem, book both.

Theater on vista and comedy club too small. I just cant wait to board. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I'm the opposite on deck 5 lay out. I really love the big windows where you can stop and sit and look out at the ocean. Age thing maybe, as I like to sit in the ac along there when it's so hot at the pool. The vista class is al, closed in.

I hated the bbq being outside on vista, my cole slaw and potato salad were melty. Much prefer magic again for the bbq being inside and the food not sitting out in the heat, and much more seating. Having the bbq outside on vista was really stupid to me and not enough seating.

JiJis on vista is a winner though. I cant wait for vista for JiJis the first night. 

If I was a spa fan, magic, Havana goes to vista. ..solved the problem, book both.

Theater on vista and comedy club too small. I just cant wait to board. 

This is why The pig and anchor is such a win for me as far as bbq. It is in place of the red frog on horizon. Also the reason I choose the horizon over vista. Great atmosphere and decor along with killer beers , drinks and bbq. Deff agree on the comedy club. Really curious to see what our 8/1 sailing will be like as far as crowds knowing it wont be at capacity. 

• Thanks 1

We are also an older couple and we cruised with another older couple on the Horizon on that 8-day southern itinerary.  We both had Havana cabins and spent all day every day sitting, reading, chatting, and enjoying an adult beverage in the Havana area where it was so quiet and peaceful. We absolutely loved it.  Whenever we have a chance in the future, we will definitely go with the Havana cabin for the peacefulness of that exclusive Havana area.

• Like 2

On 6/27/2021 at 7:55 AM, firefly333 said:

Are you sure about BBQ inside on the Magic.  According to all the deck plans: Dream, Magic, Breeze, Vista are outside. Horizon and Panorama inside.