Tracelets being used on the Millenium/Summit

Kreative03

Got my pre-cruise emails for July 17 - looks like the Summit will start to require a Tracelet. Is this happening on any cruise earlier? Would love to know the experience folks have had. I know RCCL has used this in Asia on their restart.

"TRACELET- All guests, ages 2 and above, will be issued a Tracelet™ at the terminal to be worn during the cruise. The Tracelet will help us with contact tracing in the unlikely case of an onboard health concern. We will collect your Tracelet at the conclusion of the cruise."

Not clear when this is being enacted or what has triggered it. It does not currently show on the Healthy at Sea requirements for St. Maarten (https://www.celebritycruises.com/gb/healthy-at-sea/st-maarten-travel-requirements)  -- however there are details that have been updated on the Southampton pages

Tracelets

Guests aged 2 years and over must wear a Tracelet at all times. Guests will be issued with their Tracelet during the check-in process at the terminal.

• The Tracelet needs to be worn on the wrist.
  • Guests must wear the Tracelet at all times and until they disembark the ship on debark morning.
  • Tracelets are not water-proof. Guests must remove the Tracelets when bathing or swimming. 
  • If a Tracelet is lost, a replacement will be issued at Guest Relations/Services
  • Tracelets will be collected at the end of the voyage prior to the guest entering the terminal and cannot be kept. 
  • Tracelets have an advanced Bluetooth chip and an antenna that can ‘see’ other Tracelets around. 
  • If a guest comes into contact with someone with COVID-19, they will be notified by the shipboard team. 
  • Refusal to wear a Tracelet will result in denial of boarding and not being able to sail.
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Alakegirl said:

Why is Millie in this thread’s title? 

Because the OP, @Kreative03 posted, "Got my pre-cruise emails for July 17 - looks like the Summit will start to require a Tracelet. Is this happening on any cruise earlier? Would love to know the experience folks have had". The Millennium was Celebrity's first post covid ship to cruise and believe they are wanting to hear from those on that Millennium cruise. 

That’s actually really annoying. My sea pass card works just fine for tracing my movement. So does their facial recognition cameras.

I’m not a huge fan of wearing things around my wrist and avoid all inclusive hotels that require them.

Hopefully the tracelets aren’t tacky and in a neutral color. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Seany527 said:

That’s actually really annoying. My sea pass card works just fine for tracing my movement. So does their facial recognition cameras.

I’m guessing your sea pass card doesn’t have enough space for a Bluetooth chip and antennas 

I’ve worn these type of bracelets on two cruises. I actually prefer them over carrying a card if the can be used for every day things like opening the cabin door, charging items, and getting on and off the ship. Much more convenient than trying to find where to put a card in a pocketless bathing suit. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tapi said:

I’m guessing your sea pass card doesn’t have enough space for a Bluetooth chip and antennas 

I’ve worn these type of bracelets on two cruises. I actually prefer them over carrying a card if the can be used for every day things like opening the cabin door, charging items, and getting on and off the ship. Much more convenient than trying to find where to put a card in a pocketless bathing suit. 

Very true. Replacing the card would be convenient but it sounded like this was in addition to the cards. 

They could tell me I have to wear the tracelet around my neck and I would still cruise.  I guess I just don’t like the concept of additional tracking mechanisms.  

19 minutes ago, Seany527 said:

I’m not a huge fan of wearing things around my wrist and avoid all inclusive hotels that require them.

Hopefully the tracelets aren’t tacky and in a neutral color. 

My guess is that the cruise cards are not sufficient because those are primarily point of purchase and do not accurately reflect when, how or for how long someone was exposed to an infected person.  Because of the contact tracing that was required for the infections on Millennium and Adventure they probably decided that the facial recognition cameras did not work sufficiently.  Not at all surprised as these types of devices are are being used on cruises in other areas of the world.  

We were on the Jun 12th sailing of the Millennium from St. Maarten and they were not in use.  Maybe this is something they are implementing during the switch to Summit?

Edited by Fedic

2 minutes ago, Seany527 said:

That’s Celebrity’s version or an example of one? That thing looks ridiculous. 

It’s RCI’s version they use on Quantum Asia cruises.  I suspect it is the same one they will use on Celebrity.  No time to reinvent the wheel. 

• Thanks 1

The Tracelet reminds me of the Magic Bands Disney uses. Disney doesn’t use it (yet) to trace contacts, but they sure do trace where and when you use it. Fortunately, Disney is transitioning to using the app on your phone so the MB is optional.

What I want to know is, do I have to wear it on my wrist, or, it is acceptable just to have it with me, such as in a handbag or pocket?   Don’t mind wearing it during the day, but would like to be able to have an option for the evening. Happy to keep the Tracelet with me, just not on my wrist.

• Like 4

Thanks all - looks like this is an evolving target, just like the RT-PCR requirements. If this is the compromise for not having a mask mandate like Greece, I think I can suffer through it. Would prefer it if it was a combo wow-band/tracelet but it's super annoying to have to wear something that's mostly useless. I couldn't get the 2 year old to keep the required 'muster station' band on her arm so this looks like we're gearing up for another fight 🙂

• Like 1

I just think it's awesome that they are using every tool in the drawer to get sailing again.  This pandemic has once again shown how clever and resilient we people can be.  The tracelets are clunky and goofy looking, but will go well with smart casual.  😉

• Like 17
  • Haha 2

Just a quick question - just coming back from Apex´s Maiden Voyage- we did not get any tracelets-  I take it thats because we had the new WIFI Boarding passes. On the older ships it´s traclets, because the cards are not equiped with WIFI?

Having an object visible on a cruiser that is observable to staff can help the crew monitor virus prevention protocols.

There has to be a way for staff to determine which passengers did not provide vax proof when boarding, in addition to be a tool for contact tracing, etc., as others have already posted.

• Like 2