Dress code

jjsnonna

I’ll bite once. 

I really don’t find that people push their dress recommendations on others. Yeah, there are some that can come close. But cruisers are human. There’s an experimental concept of confirmation bias. Your observations confirm your expectations. Unless everyone is in a tux and you’re in khakis and a Nat Nast, or vice versa, you’ll see people dressed like you because that’s what you expected. If you see anything at all. And you’ll correctly state you saw many people, few people, or no one else dressed formally or casually, because you’re on vacation and you’re not actually counting or doing a statistical sample. And other than the thou shall nots (shorts for dinner…), it’s pretty much a recommendation. And if you actually are counting, please go to the martini bar and have 2 or 3 chocolate and vodka drinks. It’ll be OK!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

We've never found it difficult to pack snorkeling gear, two weeks worth of clothing, lots of toiletries, shoes, etc. and still have plenty of room for a tuxedo and a couple of gowns/dresses in one suitcase each.  We're always under the airline weight limit, as well.

Same for us. I managed four slim fit tux jackets in my 23 kg luggage limit for our Caribbean cruise.

I don't care how people dress on chic nights, but to bring out the luggage restriction excuse is so lame.

My smart attire is to compliment my wife who loves dressing up, and out of respect for my fellow passengers and crew.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Why do we always have a DRESS code threads and never PANTS code threads? 

HAPPY CRUISING!

Because those on the east side of the big pond and those on the west side of the big pond will be talking about two different things......

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, ScubesDad said:

Because those on the east side of the big pond and those on the west side of the big pond will be talking about two different things......

Wouldn't that help explain/clarify the code? LOL

What would we read if we didn't have the C O D E?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bretty said:

Absolutely! Tanqueray 10 and Noilly Prat.

No love for vodka martinis?  I swirl the glass with vermouth first if I make them at home.

Edited by zitsky
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, jjsnonna said:

First let me say I am not looking for a debate....but can anyone tell me why those that like to wear tuxes or gowns seem to be hellbent on trying to convince others that it is the norm?  It definitely is not.  I see so many posts on Facebook regarding this and just can't image why what someone else wears matter to anyone.  Dress up or don't, as long as you're within the dress code who cares.  Personally, I like to wear dresses (not gowns) but if someone else is wearing jeans I couldn't care less.  I actually posted this on FB and someone had the nerve to reply that they care "because I have to look at you".  Wow....on my vacations I just want to have fun and don't worry about what someone else does.

Of course you are looking for a debate, specifically for support on your position on this topic.

Very, very, very few of us even mention FB (TOS issue mainly) and we have plenty of 'dress code' topics here which draw out lots of comments concerning dress aboard.

From my, personal, perspective were one not to truly care about dress, then do not read or post on it.

As well, one can always refer the questioner to X's website where dress code(s) are outlined to a great degree.

It is obviously a sensitive topic, for you and others here, I understand as this is one with a few others that bring out deep seeded resentment a few people have one way or another about 'what to wear and when and etc...)

When there is a written policy of 'desired' dress when on-board specific lines, then follow them regardless of personal thoughts. If the dress code is too restrictive or too loose, then I do know there are other lines which one can sail that will cater to ones' desires, even if it is a charter sailing.

Alas, we are truly getting back to pre-pandemic posts and chatter, are we not? 😎

See you on Formal Night and bon voyage

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Why do we always have a DRESS code threads and never PANTS code threads? 

HAPPY CRUISING!

We do, from time to time, amongst the 'polo and shorts' queries... LOL

See how you are, you just gloss over them without a second or third thought!!! LOL

bon voyage

10 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Sounds great.  I'll be there in my button-down Hawaiian shirt.  😉

But no shorts.  Unless you go to the buffet..........But then no bathing suits..........Unless you order room service.  But don't stand naked on your balcony.   Lots of choices for everybody.

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

When there is a written policy of 'desired' dress when on-board specific lines, then follow them regardless of personal thoughts.

Exactly--- But, you know ( better than Pinboy --- that's for sure) that there are many people who post on various topics just looking for a " fight ".  

I said basically the same as you in my earlier post ( #34 ), but, in a less " politically correct " way.

( Boy, I love that expression ) 

• Haha 1

On the Edge now.  Our first “dress up” night, I saw two men in suits.  One was a BRIGHT BLUE affair, which I couldn’t decide whether it was some sort of “statement”, but it was uuuuuggggly.  He would have been better off in a speedo.  The 2nd was a man in a regular black suit.  He was a BIG man, and the suit was ill-fitting, but he was in a suit.  No tuxes….no gowns.  The rest…the vast, vast majority were in polo shirts, khakis, jeans, sun dresses,  etc.

I don’t care how you dress.  I won’t respect you any more, or any less, based on how you dress.  I probably don’t even know you, so respect doesn’t come into play, at all.  I can’t respect or disrespect someone I have never met, or don’t know.

One thing’s for certain, these days, no one I know of wants to pay more for extra luggage to pack formal clothes and all the accoutrements that go with that.  I have never, ever seen anyone with a t-shirt and baseball cap on in the MDRs on dress up night, and I’ve cruised just about all the different mainstream lines.  I’ve never seen swim suits in the dining rooms, either.

Given the “tiredness” of everyone coming out of COVID, following restriction after restriction, all the folks I know do not want yet another restriction like a suit, tux, suit, gown requirement as yet another restriction.  As mentioned before, people are coming out of working from home, instead of going to an office.  Dress is whatever we wanted it to be when working from home.  That will translate into more casualness in cruising.

This trend has been happening for a while, though.  Every cruise I take, regardless of cruise line, dress is more relaxed.  Just like smoking accommodations are becoming less and less.  

Please, if you feel like wearing a gown or tux/suit, by all means, do it. No one will think more or less of you.  Just like I don’t care what you may or may not think of me wearing my Hawaiian shirts and khakis in the MDRs on dress up night.  No one cares (OK…the vast, vast majority of us don’t care, and neither do the cruise lines).

• Like 10

43 minutes ago, zitsky said:

No love for vodka martinis?  I swirl the glass with vermouth first if I make them at home.

If you want to make a dress code thread look benign, just get going on martinis...

(From Merriam-Webster: Martini--a cocktail made of gin and dry vermouth) 😃🍸

And you can find near dissertations on shaken or stirred. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, KKB said:

Yeah cuz NO ONE on cruise critic is ever judgmental in that way...

LOL, all of us who post on CC are judgemental in one way or another in agreement or disagreement ..

bon voyage

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, zitsky said:

If you're like me, you have a year to sit at the keyboard and respond to stupid threads.  Must resist.....

I’ve been telling myself the same thing. Resist…. Resist…. I laughed when I noted that this dress code thread was the “hot” thread this morning. You know what’s next, right? I dare not say it out loud🤪 Still, it’s an encouraging sign that things are moving toward something resembling normal travel when these endless debate topics pop up again.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, jjsnonna said:

First let me say I am not looking for a debate....but can anyone tell me why those that like to wear tuxes or gowns seem to be hellbent on trying to convince others that it is the norm?  It definitely is not.  I see so many posts on Facebook regarding this and just can't image why what someone else wears matter to anyone.  Dress up or don't, as long as you're within the dress code who cares.  Personally, I like to wear dresses (not gowns) but if someone else is wearing jeans I couldn't care less.  I actually posted this on FB and someone had the nerve to reply that they care "because I have to look at you".  Wow....on my vacations I just want to have fun and don't worry about what someone else does.

You're not looking for a debate, but then your post is very critical of others and basically one big complaint.  You do see the irony of this, don't you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, markeb said:

If you want to make a dress code thread look benign, just get going on martinis...

(From Merriam-Webster: Martini--a cocktail made of gin and dry vermouth) 😃🍸

And you can find near dissertations on shaken or stirred. 

That seems to be my go to drink this cruise……. 😉

• Like 1