Concerns about noise from people using Medallion Apps/Watching Movies, etc?

Smokeyham

Hello,

I just finished watching Princess' video about using "Oceanview" to watch movies, etc.  One of the features they highlight is the ability to start watching a movie, etc. in your cabin and then to continue watching the same while out on a deck.  

In the video there was no mention about the need for people to use a headset or similar so the rest of us don't have to listen to this.  Most people probably will, but it only takes one or two to ruin it for others.  Hopefully Princess will sell these on board for people who have forgotten them, and also require their use.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Smokeyham said:

Hello,

I just finished watching Princess' video about using "Oceanview" to watch movies, etc.  One of the features they highlight is the ability to start watching a movie, etc. in your cabin and then to continue watching the same while out on a deck.  

In the video there was no mention about the need for people to use a headset or similar so the rest of us don't have to listen to this.  Most people probably will, but it only takes one or two to ruin it for others.  Hopefully Princess will sell these on board for people who have forgotten them, and also require their use.

I find it more irritating when people sit in the Lido Deck area during Movies Under the Stars and talk loudly nonstop.  Rude.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Peckishpixie said:

People have always had the ability to watch movies on deck via their phones and tablets. Do you find that particularly disruptive or see a lot 9f people using media without headsets? 

I was thinking that this new service would increase the number of people watching movies, etc. especially as Princess is promoting it.   No problem with people who use headsets, but increasing the number of people would likely increase the chances of having people who would not use them.

• Like 3

I was on one cruise where people at the pool next to us were playing loud gospel music. They left their music on the whole time - while they were in the pool, in the buffet and who knows where. After that it was The Sanctuary only for me.

On 7/15/2021 at 4:37 PM, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I find it more irritating when people sit in the Lido Deck area during Movies Under the Stars and talk loudly nonstop.  Rude.

Exactly! I don't even try to watch MUTS anymore. Too many distractions.

• Like 1

With a couple of thousand passenger on a ship.... quiet  time..... I don't think so...

We use our cabin if quiet time is needed.....     

Have you ever noticed how loud the MDR is ?? 

what next no talking over dinner..... OMG   what if somebody burped...or whatever

and with MUTS  it is generally rather loud... so don't hang round...

• Like 1

I watch movie almost exclusively when on the open deck (with earphones).I can't see how this would increase the noise any more especially since the MUTS audio is usually blasting and it's almost impossible to hear over the loud speakers anyway.

Maybe they should issue earphones for the MUTS audio. 😁

• Like 2

I can't count the times I have gone into a mostly empty lounge, sit down and start to read a book...then somebody decides that there MUST be music playing so on it comes.  I love music myself but I use headphones as I am sure that not everyone would share my taste.  In the lounges , often annoying music it is played over the loudspeaker systems and the music is picked by a bartender or cruise director or who knows who.

It is becoming increasingly difficult to find anyplace outside your cabin to be able to sit and read, or just enjoy the sounds of the sea, in peace and quiet.  Even on the decks Princess loves to blast the big screen sound almost non stop all day and half the night.

Headphones are a wonderful invention.  Most everyone has a smart phone that will hold thousands of your favorite songs etc.  Is it really necessary or desirable to have piped in music into every venue or loud music/movies blasting the outdoor areas?  Can we at least have a few areas dedicated to peace and quiet or headphones only?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dockman said:

I can't count the times I have gone into a mostly empty lounge, sit down and start to read a book...then somebody decides that there MUST be music playing so on it comes.  I love music myself but I use headphones as I am sure that not everyone would share my taste.  In the lounges , often annoying music it is played over the loudspeaker systems and the music is picked by a bartender or cruise director or who knows who.

It is becoming increasingly difficult to find anyplace outside your cabin to be able to sit and read, or just enjoy the sounds of the sea, in peace and quiet.  Even on the decks Princess loves to blast the big screen sound almost non stop all day and half the night.

Headphones are a wonderful invention.  Most everyone has a smart phone that will hold thousands of your favorite songs etc.  Is it really necessary or desirable to have piped in music into every venue or loud music/movies blasting the outdoor areas?  Can we at least have a few areas dedicated to peace and quiet or headphones only?

I don't understand why pax are so unwilling to speak up for themselves! If someone is being annoying politely tell them. If they continue, have a staff person tell them to stop. You want to see my spouse go off? Never touch the food with your hands. He will point you out to everyone around. Public shaming isn't fun, but it can make the issue go away quickly.

2 hours ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

And I find it incredibly boorish that your husband would consider publicly shaming someone just because they wanted to eat with their hands.  It might not be elegant, but I don't think it's remotely the sort of thing you publicly shame someone over.  If they were spouting racist or misogynistic comments, sure. If your husband ever tried something like that with the likes of someone like me, I would make him feel two inches small in a matter of seconds.

I suspect she was referring to people who go along the buffet line picking up food with their hands instead of using the utensils....I've seen passengers do this and then sometimes decide they don't want whatever it was (rolls, piece of chicken, etc) and put it back into the serving dish.

Edited by andio2of5

11 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I watch movie almost exclusively when on the open deck (with earphones).I can't see how this would increase the noise any more especially since the MUTS audio is usually blasting and it's almost impossible to hear over the loud speakers anyway.

Maybe they should issue earphones for the MUTS audio. 😁

Actually they tried this a while back, checking out devices for personalized MUTS sound.   Apparently this was an experiment that didn't work.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rbtan said:

I don't understand why pax are so unwilling to speak up for themselves! If someone is being annoying politely tell them. If they continue, have a staff person tell them to stop. You want to see my spouse go off? Never touch the food with your hands. He will point you out to everyone around. Public shaming isn't fun, but it can make the issue go away quickly.

It's not another passenger.  It is Princess staff (or one of the "bosses) that plays the music and sets the volume.  I have asked and did no good.

We were on an Alaska cruise and having a gathering on deck, watching nearby whales and trying to listen to the ship's naturalist who was making comments over the public address system.  Unfortunately, MUTS was playing as well and we could not hear the naturalist.  No one was watching the MUTS screen and I went to the bar tender to ask if that could be turned down.  He tried making a call, and came back to  tell us that only the Cruise Director could make that decision and he was busy.   

3 hours ago, dockman said:

It's not another passenger.  It is Princess staff (or one of the "bosses) that plays the music and sets the volume.  I have asked and did no good.

That's where going to the head of staff & asking them to deal with the noise issue. We don't spend much time by the pool. Too noisy between Mutts & "canned" music.

2 hours ago, norwega said:

I’m interested in getting noise canceling headphones, any recommendations?

If you're using an iPhone, I highly recommend the Apple AirPods Pro. They connect to multiple devices quite well and have excellent noise cancellation.  They're EarPods so they go in your ear, some people don't like that type of headphone but they are comfortable for me.

9 hours ago, dockman said:

Agree. Before shows in the Explorers Lounge they turn the lights too low to read anything while waiting and play music on the speakers so loud I have to put ear plugs in my ears. Speaking to the CD about this did not do any good.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, caribill said:

Agree. Before shows in the Explorers Lounge they turn the lights too low to read anything while waiting and play music on the speakers so loud I have to put ear plugs in my ears. Speaking to the CD about this did not do any good.

This is the exact reason why you have to use earphones in any of the lounges before the show.

15 hours ago, rbtan said:

We are both guys. Forgive the corny bunny ears at my niece's Easter party this past spring.

So sorry....I didn't pay any attention to your picture 😳 ......the bunny ears are cute.

On 7/18/2021 at 8:47 PM, norwega said:

I had forgotten that Princess doesn’t have many quiet spaces.  We’ve been cruising mostly on Celebrity.  I’m interested in getting noise canceling headphones, any recommendations?

I really like my Bose ear buds. DH now uses my older Bose over the ear headphones. Before that he had a pair of Sony headphones. They all have very good noise canceling. Different price points and individual fit and comfort preferences are considerations.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2021 at 10:47 AM, norwega said:

I had forgotten that Princess doesn’t have many quiet spaces.  We’ve been cruising mostly on Celebrity.  I’m interested in getting noise canceling headphones, any recommendations?

These are brilliant, Bluetooth and true noise cancelling. Work superbly on a plane to cut out plane noise as well:

https://store.sony.com.au/headphones-noisecancelling/WH1000XM4B.html

Sorry, but I live in Australia - you’ll need to source them in the US 👍

• Like 1

On 7/18/2021 at 8:03 PM, MileHighAko said:

If you're using an iPhone, I highly recommend the Apple AirPods Pro. They connect to multiple devices quite well and have excellent noise cancellation.  They're EarPods so they go in your ear, some people don't like that type of headphone but they are comfortable for me.

I bought some today but I wouldn't say they're noise cancelling.  I can hear myself typing on the computer.  😞