Are we crazy (cruisers)?

Disclaimer: we are on the encore August 7th. 

We the people on CC are clearly cruise lovers and will take more chances than the average Joe in the population.  My question, for those of us who have cruises booked over the rest of 2021 and into 2022, do the people who you tell think you are nuts or look at you sideways?

We are in our 30s and are avid cruisers, but when we tell people we are going this August there is an awkward silence, or people will make a comment  hinting that they think we're mad. 

Question one are we nuts?

Question two, who cares? 😉

Question three, anyone else experience anything similar?

• Like 2

Not crazy at all. If you are vaccinated and the ship and crew are vaccinated there is no reason for anyone to think you are crazy.
Now rewind time, I was sailing on Feb 22, 2020 and people thought I was crazy with Covid nightmares on the Princess ship.  We squeaked out the cruise because the Encore only sailed one more time. I am SO thankful for that trip.  I had booked it almost 2 years prior and we had people traveling far away to join us.  Go enjoy yourself.  I've been watching some new cruise videos lately and the resorts are not crowded and the ships are not crowded either.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 6

35 minutes ago, jcu1210 said:

We the people on CC are clearly cruise lovers and will take more chances than the average Joe in the population.  My question, for those of us who have cruises booked over the rest of 2021 and into 2022, do the people who you tell think you are nuts or look at you sideways?

We are in our 30s and are avid cruisers, but when we tell people we are going this August there is an awkward silence, or people will make a comment  hinting that they think we're mad. 

Are We Nuts: Of course we are.  The good kind of nuts.  The key is setting your expectations fairly. 

Who cares?  Only the folks that have not cruised or don't have a reservation.  Folk like to put other folk down to feel better.

Anyone else experience anything similar?  Not so much any more.  However when I booked my July 31 and November 27 cruises, everyone said I was insane.  No so much now. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

I'm an old medical researcher and I'm all about the statistics. You're young, healthy and vaccinated 
You live in Orlando and one out of 4 new cases in the last week were in Florida. I'd be running from there, cruise or not. You're not nuts. Everyone on the ship will be vaccinated, not the case in your local grocery or pub. 
The only problem I would have is any pre-embarkation testing, traveling all the way & not being able to get on the ship. Both the rapid & PCR tests can show positive and the person my never get sick or transmit it to another person.

• Like 6

Although I am not going for a while- I think its good to be passionate about things in life and hope you enjoy your cruise; I believe a friend of a friend is going on the Encore as well- Alaska?

Everything is going to come with some level of risk for now on- but its time to move forward at some point and enjoy things again.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, HarpHarp said:

I'm an old medical researcher and I'm all about the statistics. You're young, healthy and vaccinated 
You live in Orlando and one out of 4 new cases in the last week were in Florida. I'd be running from there, cruise or not. You're not nuts. Everyone on the ship will be vaccinated, not the case in your local grocery or pub. 
The only problem I would have is any pre-embarkation testing, traveling all the way & not being able to get on the ship. Both the rapid & PCR tests can show positive and the person my never get sick or transmit it to another person.

yup, I agree with this totally. If you live in Florida, you’re safer on an NCL ship than you are dining in local restaurants or going to the supermarket!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have had a few comment that they are not travelling or cruising until the end of the pandemic, and imply that we are crazy (mostly on Facebook) but this is in Canada, they also look askance when I say we are heading down to Florida in October, having missed a year..but I was never one to listen to naysayers!

• Like 3

The crazy folks are those who enjoy cruising but are putting it off because "I have the rest of my life to cruise."  The "rest of my life" might just be six months.  Why not cruise? 😎

Man plans, God laughs.

Edited by CptAleSpill
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, jcu1210 said:

Let's think about this for a minute.  We tell casual friends, co-workers and neighbors xyz (e.g. I bought a car, I'm going to try this restaurant, I think I'll invest in Apple, I like candidate "x," etc.).

In all those cases, you'll likely get "an awkward silence, or people will make a comment hinting that they think we're mad" from the majority of the audience.  That's just crappy human nature.  Even if they just smile and say "that's nice," many times they still think we're nuts.  Why should cruising be any different?  This is why I generally don't share anything with anybody who doesn't need to know.

• Like 2

Of course we are nuts, 40% of those hospital deaths in the UK are double jabbed but life has to go on, if the vaccine is not fool proof what is next, do we lockdown forever? There is no other way out so this is as good as it gets.

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Let's think about this for a minute.  We tell casual friends, co-workers and neighbors xyz (e.g. I bought a car, I'm going to try this restaurant, I think I'll invest in Apple, I like candidate "x," etc.).

In all those cases, you'll likely get "an awkward silence, or people will make a comment hinting that they think we're mad" from the majority of the audience.  That's just crappy human nature.  Even if they just smile and say "that's nice," many times they still think we're nuts.  Why should cruising be any different?  This is why I generally don't share anything with anybody who doesn't need to know.

Cheif, you just won me over. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, HarpHarp said:

That is my concern also about the pre-embarkation testing. I had a false positive colon test this year and because of that I had to do a colonoscopy which came back negative. So I had additional costs, etc. We are doing B2B cruises this fall and only insured the first cruise but I think we are going to add insurance to the second one also in case of a bad test when getting on the ship.

2 hours ago, Hadacareer said:

I have had a few comment that they are not travelling or cruising until the end of the pandemic, and imply that we are crazy (mostly on Facebook) but this is in Canada, they also look askance when I say we are heading down to Florida in October, having missed a year..but I was never one to listen to naysayers!

Will Trudeau Junior stick you in a COVID- Hotel/Jail?  Is that still happening?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jcu1210 said:

No

3 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

Of course we are nuts, 40% of those hospital deaths in the UK are double jabbed but life has to go on, if the vaccine is not fool proof what is next, do we lockdown forever? There is no other way out so this is as good as it gets.

That’s hard to believe. All the articles I’ve read say infections are going up in unvaccinated people due to the Delta variant and that vaccinated people are showing significant resistance to getting sick.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hadacareer said:

I believe it is only for unvaccinated now 

As of July 5th fully vaccinated Canadians and Residents of Canada no longer need to quarantine.  PCR within 72 hours prior to arrival,  PCR at the border (no charge) then travel to your destination.  This week my 32 year old niece (Canadian citizen) and her American husband, both of whom live in Seattle, crossed by land border south of Vancouver at 7am.   Very quiet, very simple and, rather than being given the test at the border, they were given kits to take with them.  They then either went to one of the authorized labs to perform the test or did it virtually in front of one of the Nurses from the Lab.  Soon thereafter picked up by the courier and sent to the Lab.   All at no cost.   And no quarantine for either.

Trudeau is indicating that by mid August fully vaccinated Americans will also be permitted to enter Canada under the same protocols above.    But, of course, subject to Covid numbers on both sides of the border over the next few weeks.

7 hours ago, HarpHarp said:

What you said about FL made me laugh, but I agree and get it. Yeah I'd be lying if I said I wasn't getting nervous. Not so much about catching Covid and getting sick, but more about the having a false positive or even a asymptomatic situation.  Haven't flown since Covid, so that should be an adventure 

Nope, not crazy. I’m in my 30s, fully vaccinated, cruising 9/3 out of Barcelona. I was ready to go on my March 2020 and November 2020 cruises, unvaccinated, because of the very low risk posed to my age group. I’m more concerned about norovirus or being quarantined on a ship than contracting COVID as a young vaccinated person 🙂

Edited by soloscientist

For us I view it as we're taking a calculated risk. Last Sept we flew to Florida to visit Universal/Disney. We were not vaccinated then, we are today. Would I go now? Not a chance. Too many variables have changed. Then, the covid numbers were low, parks capacity controlled and very strict precautions were in place. Today it's a free for all. 

All eyes were on the parks when they opened; today they're on cruises. The cruise lines are highly motivated toward success and good PR. They also need to get passengers on board so policies for refunds are more liberal than they will be down the road. For me, this is reassuring.

If I'm honest I felt more comfortable when I booked our trip (Jade from Athens B2B) In April than I do now. This variances have thrown more curve balls our way. The risks are higher so I'll make some adjustments and solidify contingency plans. One of which could include cancelling if conditions become less favorable as October comes around. 

There is though that determined part of me that really, really wants to go on this trip. Damn that urge is strong lol. No doubt this has some effect on my judgement. So yes, I'm sure I fall somewhere on the "nuts" continuum. As far as caring what others think, I just turned 60 so it's much easier to let it roll off. 

Good question- thanks for posting!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I actually have limited who I told about our October cruise on the Breakaway out of NY, I really don't care about their opinions. Since life is short and if this is what I want to do and feel comfortable doing it then I will. Carpe diem, right?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, odie1024 said:

I actually have limited who I told about our October cruise on the Breakaway out of NY, I really don't care about their opinions. Since life is short and if this is what I want to do and feel comfortable doing it then I will. Carpe diem, right?

Here's the thing.....everyone does what's right for them.  If someone looks at you like "you're nuts" ask them if they lived in a vacuum for the past 1.5 years.

I'm taking the first "non-Bermuda" ship out of NYC (just not a fan of Bermuda) in November!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1