The Daily for Tuesday July 27, 2021

richwmn

On Oct. 10, 2016 our private tour group drove 2 hours from Aqaba past the Wadi Rum desert wilderness area and arrived at Petra, one of the new seven wonders of the world.  We arrived by 9 am which is a good thing since this is a very hot, dry area and it only gets hotter as the day goes on. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ65ADl4H-3ksk_OZz933YR?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIQab90LXK-XSYEEysus9pk?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

The entrance to the visitor center. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIpSyKV1eDEsP_rLb6qvlaw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

When you first start out there is an area on your left where they keep the horses.  You can either ride a horse, take a cart, or walk.  We walked.  The long walkway here is called Bab Al Siq.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJjLbD4NC8qmbzRyn6aXEML?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKHMKGv0yHcUyDxw61wRO4V?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Next you'll see the Obelisk Tomb.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJjLbD4NC8qmbzRyn6aXEML?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

It's named after the four Indian obelisks that decorate the top of the tomb.  This tomb has two stories to it.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJcyjJ0ZINtiiEUFitWT0Yh?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK4bqaq_c6oo7l91w-LMOMS?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVINmW0-IpBHUOPpHjzhRqH3?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

The Siq is a spectacular gorge that leads into the ancient city.  The original channel cut in the walls to bring water into Petra can be seen, and in some places the original terracotta pipes are still in place. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ6j8l7kJlOIzvtlePY-j3N?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK-ERWJq30mF11a7HBQl3Fm?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKTkbJa0bq8n4ZDfbJaHzXH?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

This is one of my favorite photos of DH walking through the curvy walled tunnel.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKCT9ascX5NhBdAnKSWyy28?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Back with more photos shortly.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone. Another 90:degree day today.

Sam has a busy schedule with OT, Speech therapy ( his last) and a nurse visit. I am going to try to make sense of the two insurance policies I have that might help to pay for some of the very expensive home health care we have. 
I love following along with my favorite TA as she cruises on the NA.

Carol

• Like 23

31 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning everyone!  It's a sunny start to our day but I predict rain in the forecast going into tomorrow morning.  It rained when I headed to bed last night and it looks like it was about 1/2 inch.  I don't know what the actual numbers are but I would guess we are ahead of our usual rainfall totals so far this year.  Not a bad thing.  I wonder if all this inclement weather is bothering my lower back?  It's worse than usual this morning.  The aching wears off during the day usually but today may require some Advil or Tylenol.

A very diverse collection of days to celebrate today.  Not a stilt walker, appreciate bagpipers, am impressed with Atlantic communications, and respect those who fought for us in the Korean conflict.  But did you know today is National Chicken Finger Day?  I wish we had a Raising Cane's near us!

Today's menu suggestion looks good.  Thanks Debbie for the recipe and photo!  Thanks Rich for the great Daily today.  I'm looking forward to reading Lisa's Live From thread when I finish here.  Thanks also to Roy for the Care and Celebration lists.  The Care list is still long so more prayers for all.  I wish I had some good news to add but all I have to share today is DMIL fell out of bed again last night.  That happens a lot so they have her bed as low as it will go and have foam pads on the floor to cushion her.  She has never broken a bone in a fall so that is one positive thing.  Still spunky as ever!

We enjoyed a visit to Aqaba and Petra in October 2016 on the Emerald Princess.  We took a private tour with a roll call group and it was excellent.  Draining though with the heat so drink twice as much water as you think you should.  I nearly fainted at the end and had to plop down on the ground to prevent injury as we got back to the visitor center.  But I'd do it again in a heartbeat.  I'll collect some photos and post as soon as I can.

Sorry to hear about your back.

Sorry to hear your Mother in law has fallen out of bed again.

Our NHS gave Pauline's late mam use of  a bed at home with metal sides to stop her falling out of bed after she fractured her hip after a fall.

Any news about your persistent cough?

Take care 

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 13

30 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I wonder if all this inclement weather is bothering my lower back?  It's worse than usual this morning.  The aching wears off during the day usually but today may require some Advil or Tylenol.

Perhaps too much yard work?

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Good morning, Dailyites from misty San Diego.  The last few days have been rainy -- something that seems to happen about one time each year in mid-summer.  It is always a welcome change from the heat.  🌧️

Thank you, Rich, for the Daily.  The collection of days is interesting.  Both my dad and DH's served in Korea.  His was a forward scout, so brave one there.  @St. Louis Sal, I've never heard of anyone using stilts for a practical purpose -- always thought they were just for fun.  Interesting new info there for sure.  @Seasick Sailor, that's fabulous that you've experienced Edinburgh Tattoo twice.  That is a bucket list item for me.  The timing never seems to work out.

@dfish, the chicken dish looks really good, BUT...my favorite take-out is Panda Express, so I'll let them do the cooking.  😉

@StLouisCruisers, sorry to hear about DMIL.   Receiving those "fall calls" is really stressful.

We try so hard to protect our elderly family members, but it gets very hard to keep them safe.

We've not been to Petra, but the route to Petra is what DH is pushing for most, so some day we will get there.  So far, my wish list is taking precedence.  As it should be, right?  lol

Anyhow, so much news here at the Daily, I can hardly keep up.  All eyes were on the Nieuw Amsterdam the past few days, and reports from the ship, so we're all probably a bit giddy about that.  🤪

I see that photos are starting to appear here of Petra.  Looking forward to seeing them.  So many port photos on the Daily have been inspiring for future travel.

A big thank you once again for our Daily, a sea of calm in a stormy world.  Sending prayers for those on the care list and will tip the glass for our celebration list.  Have a lovely Tuesday, Everyone!  😊  🌺  🌻  🌷

Maxine

• Like 19

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIad4YakP0AfaBNgBIS7A38?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

One particular rock formation looked like a fish from the side but an elephant from the front. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIeWlG7SjhZHQMOumbtMuVv?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

The elephant view00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJbCV6wHZSLXPy_UdO2Mtlu?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

The colors of the rock can vary widely.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIKt2pCdoWZOfgdBSdci-ZM?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Most interesting are the many niches carved into the sandstone walls.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK9ijWdbs8hptqaRSdzHqch?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Suddenly ahead we saw, through the gap in the rock, the magnificent Treasury!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK0k_niSUwtkbd4Gh8N_HPW?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

It rises to almost 128 feet and is intricately decorated with Corinthian capitals, decorative bands, figures and more.  It is crowned by an urn, which according to local legend conceals a pharaoh's treasure.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ5ZEFT-JbG_t4-5ppkjM7z?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIhppRAooX5j1i5RON3TKcZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL764p5VU7CoEKeeztWJ3vb?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

To the left of the Treasury is this area to rest and shop. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIAgO-0P2gMZTgaefG75XT2?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

You could rent a camel for a ride here in case you were tiring from the walk.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIXxh6WmYOxWatcBnHRevq1?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

From the Treasury we proceeded on to the Street of Facades, the name given to the row of monumental tombs carved into the southern cliff face.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJhfK4FeykmYQQmU4xNJ-E7?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIIaqabYgt3bq8m-t-wf05N?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJOiadmMllBBKMxYqkm0EID?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI_qD9SkTasXLnwsTj4-voQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIUK1obVFnJyTom9jXVIPiO?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLJfBG-IsOIzoFmgc8NTzQ4?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

The Theatre

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIjhWe_k2MiojkblcsJ7kdW?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Our guide Zayed and some of the Royal Tombs.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIaLg0LVDdkm9ugN41Uohyu?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKLvyUcjurPttfrUFGtAGYL?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKRl8RVYHW0PlrG5hmWMhbC?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI2d0Zlt9Y7gG_-t1ObsNnb?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

We walked as far as we could.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLSlTnb4_ksJ8JdaGPaNXY4?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

All the way to the Nymphaeum, a semi-circular public fountain shaded by a 450 year old wild pistachio tree.  No water here!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIpuh2FmTW6SId22y5VUPwA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Further down was the Colonnaded Street which would have been a shopping street in ancient Petra, but by now we were ready to turn back.  We had miles to walk, uphill to return to our bus.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJdPKUeWRNzYszMRMw9MRq3?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIl6IzMfCP140NpfIPnj6pp?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

When we walked back past the Treasury there were lots more people there.  Glad we got there early!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKJ7P0e2vXqrUj7MkhXs9mz?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

You had to watch out for carts and horses all the time or risk getting run over.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKi9XzBq6VNlTi8Yn8r-hc0?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJyGQH1DN6u9nVqkB4ILUxG?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

On to lunch!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Good morning central Texas where it will be hot, but at least not in the triple digits, barely.

An interesting collection of days.  I will honor Korean veterans.  I was just old enough when the conflict ended to remember hearing about it.  I like bagpipes in small doses, and I prefer to keep both feet on the ground.  I looked up Cross Atlantic Communications Day, and it originally referred to communicating across the ocean by ship.  My how things have changed since then.

The meal, drink and wine all sound good.  Really like the quote.

We have not been to today's port, but it is on the itinerary for next year's cruise, and if it is canceled, it is on the 2023 itinerary.  It was canceled as a port in 2003.  We'll get there some day.  @StLouisCruisers,  Sandi, thank you for the pictures.

@Seasick Sailor Joy, loved the meme of the dachshund.  Our 7 pound dachshund thought she was a Rottweiler.

@smitty34877 Sorry Tana's hospital stay will be an extended one.

@mamaofami Carol, good luck with the insurance policies.

Now, I have the "pleasure of clearing house today.😠

Lenda 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

The restaurant we ate lunch at was called Alcantarah.  They had a huge buffet inside but on the porch they were preparing a delicious chicken and vegetable stir fry dish.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKK_HJ2nKc9-lbReHGzyp67?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLpOm-35schOmJ97hgjf-Z0?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLEm-Mrx0jKuE08bBoFDjsP?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLxgoTkB2UMkuyD77sbMi5M?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

I think we cleaned them out of desserts!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLeIFlFGennAd3Dqpk861uD?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL5SivsfTiq04o2AzbUknre?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKxzqIKshWcNk0MtGC2NeeJ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLnd0JQuro5ubAfI7Wp70Pa?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

On the drive back to Aqaba we stopped at this shop and were able to have a restroom break.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKMuTFia_fW8jna0H5XOlIM?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJUEHMS7dlr7ddp5fEOHLT8?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJiGmNz8QRcK_q4zWOu-NBW?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIkzRmuFi5b81Ifl0JGQgSB?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

We had very nice clean restrooms which were much appreciated by this very tired group.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKw2WQKTm6_TfWnHhNj2YV4?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

See anything you like?00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL4NjmOtYfYMP0BR8Qho_c8?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLAriqw7EU6QjLBEuj53-WI?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJKzP7eyF7MJBgPry3VVxcA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLojME-UrX19eLxsbV9k86v?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVInJW3g29-D3apDpNZgEdF6?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

I recommend the restaurant and the rest stop here highly.  

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

The continuing Icelandic Saga…. Trust me, you do not want to see any pictures from today!

My knee felt slightly better in the morning, and I had regained my lateral movement. But we would be leaving the Capital area the next day - so I decided I needed to visit the local ER after breakfast. 

5 hours later I had visited the ER, personally spoken with two doctors, been X-Rayed, had an orthopedic guru review the X-Ray, been diagnosed with a crooked “t” or “y” fracture of the left kneecap, casted and visited a local pharmacy. With instructions to get off my feet, if I felt any pain.  Phew. And spent just $633! And I could still continue with my trip! Woo hoo!

Ooh, and the icing on the cake, I was given a pair of hospital shorts to wear back to the hotel, since the pants I wore would not fit over the cast.😎. Luckily I had one of my wide & long Turkish scarfs with me. When worn over the shorts, it looked as if I was wearing a skort. I fully expected to start a new fashion trend.

Back at the hotel, I reassessed my wardrobe and realized neither my wind proof nor bug proof pants would fit over my cast. 😞 But my pajama capris, my long underwear and my rain pants would! Then I met Janice, who had graciously accompanied me to the ER, in the lobby for a very late lunch with wine - my treat. 

The rest of the group and our guide eventually joined us. I had already touched base with François Denis, our G Adventures guide, who assured me that with the exception of a couple activities, I would be able to enjoy his country.  After a short “Meet & Greet”, he took those interested to a local restaurant for dinner. This was my first encounter with our mini-bus. That first step was a doozy. Going up was bad enough. Coming down, I had to sit down and slide. 🙄 But it was worth it.  I had the most delicious falafel salad! I only had room for a couple of the sweet potato fries I ordered.  And wine, of course. 

Back to the hotel for a nightcap and then in bed by 10. Tomorrow would be an early day…

The best is yet to come!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Dailylites!

It is so refreshing to come here every morning and get a dose of goodwill.  Thank you to all who contribute.  Cheers to the celebratory list and hugs to the care list.

We docked in Aqaba on December 17, 2011, on the Brilliance OTS.  We took a ship tour to Petra.  Most of our pictures would be duplicates, but hopefully what I share won't be.

Sunrise from our balcony

DSC00004.thumb.jpg.ee2e10ab835d32f953d502092a66fd94.jpg

IMG_0417.thumb.jpg.1015bb589178dd81e5d13e74f613092e.jpg

Interesting marketing

DSC00028.thumb.jpg.05c90e88b0c26c3a57b8f2b1f24657bf.jpg

DSC00031.thumb.jpg.1cc64ddc78d32cd70ef68c4ec696f2e4.jpg

Transportation for hire

DSC00032.thumb.jpg.dd27fe0c67c4e1c3970dbcb8eb54e597.jpg

1597165374_DSC00033(2).thumb.jpg.e34148935b7cb6c976b8e199153a2add.jpg

Roman cobblestones -- walking was not easy.  As we say every time we encounter these -- "damn  Romans".DSC00084.thumb.jpg.51ebeba84fd5fbff99338334cadee3d6.jpg

The obligatory photo in front of the Treasury

IMG_0468.thumb.jpg.c335b6044ddefd1ec5934583a6850dcf.jpg

Sunset on the way back to the ship

IMG_0503.thumb.jpg.0a8b0bf66ee812045ee3aed89c3e33da.jpg

Edited by kb4683
  • Like 27

42 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Sorry to hear about your back.

Sorry to hear your Mother in law has fallen out of bed again.

Our NHS gave Pauline's late mam use of  a bed at home with metal sides to stop her falling out of bed after she fractured her hip after a fall.

Any news about your persistent cough?

Take care 

Graham.

Good morning/afternoon Graham!  I took some Tylenol a while ago and using throw pillows at the lumbar region and the back feels better already.  I have back aches nearly every day.  

My cough is still with me.  I've been told to try a weaker acid reflux medication so it doesn't cause my stomach so much distress.  My stomach is fine but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with my cough.  I think nasal drainage is the culprit but my antihistamine isn't helping any either.  We may end up doing the laryngoscopy to take a look in the throat.

DMIL has a bed with rails at the head of the bed but of course not all the way to the foot of the bed.  When she gets agitated she squirms around until she falls out the lower half of the bed.  They are not allowed to restrain her.  And unless someone is with her every second they can't always prevent her falling out.  Sometimes they give her a light sedative to calm her and help her to rest.  July 2021 is 3 years since her car accident which started the whole hospitalization/rehab/nursing home thing.  It's been a rough time for everyone involved.🙁

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

17 minutes ago, cat shepard said:
The continuing Icelandic Saga…. Trust me, you do not want to see any pictures from today!

My knee felt slightly better in the morning, and I had regained my lateral movement. But we would be leaving the Capital area the next day - so I decided I needed to visit the local ER after breakfast. 

5 hours later I had visited the ER, personally spoken with two doctors, been X-Rayed, had an orthopedic guru review the X-Ray, been diagnosed with a crooked “t” or “y” fracture of the left kneecap, casted and visited a local pharmacy. With instructions to get off my feet, if I felt any pain.  Phew. And spent just $633! And I could still continue with my trip! Woo hoo!

Ooh, and the icing on the cake, I was given a pair of hospital shorts to wear back to the hotel, since the pants I wore would not fit over the cast.😎. Luckily I had one of my wide & long Turkish scarfs with me. When worn over the shorts, it looked as if I was wearing a skort. I fully expected to start a new fashion trend.

Back at the hotel, I reassessed my wardrobe and realized neither my wind proof nor bug proof pants would fit over my cast. 😞 But my pajama capris, my long underwear and my rain pants would! Then I met Janice, who had graciously accompanied me to the ER, in the lobby for a very late lunch with wine - my treat. 

The rest of the group and our guide eventually joined us. I had already touched base with François Denis, our G Adventures guide, who assured me that with the exception of a couple activities, I would be able to enjoy his country.  After a short “Meet & Greet”, he took those interested to a local restaurant for dinner. This was my first encounter with our mini-bus. That first step was a doozy. Going up was bad enough. Coming down, I had to sit down and slide. 🙄 But it was worth it.  I had the most delicious falafel salad! I only had room for a couple of the sweet potato fries I ordered.  And wine, of course. 

Back to the hotel for a nightcap and then in bed by 10. Tomorrow would be an early day…

The best is yet to come!

So very sorry the injury happened to your knee but hearing about your experiences in getting medical attention there has been most interesting.  I'm very happy you were able to continue on with your tours.  Can't wait to hear the rest!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Yard work doesn't help but I have a back ache nearly every day.  Just a lot more bothersome today.  

Do you have one of these back support thingies?  They are a great help when doing heavy work.

https://www.amazon.com/Mueller-Adjustable-Back-Brace-Black/dp/B001OAXE0S/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2RRAIL9386L05&dchild=1&keywords=mueller+back+support&qid=1627393321&refinements=p_72%3A1248903011&rnid=1248901011&s=hpc&sprefix=mueller+back%2Caps%2C262&sr=1-5

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, kb4683 said:

Good morning Dailylites!

It is so refreshing to come here every morning and get a dose of goodwill.  Thank you to all who contribute.  Cheers to the celebratory list and hugs to the care list.

We docked in Aqaba on December 17, 2011, on the Brilliance OTS.  We took a ship tour to Petra.  Most of our pictures would be duplicates, but hopefully what I share won't be.

Sunrise from our balcony

DSC00004.thumb.jpg.ee2e10ab835d32f953d502092a66fd94.jpg

IMG_0417.thumb.jpg.1015bb589178dd81e5d13e74f613092e.jpg

Interesting marketing

DSC00028.thumb.jpg.05c90e88b0c26c3a57b8f2b1f24657bf.jpg

DSC00031.thumb.jpg.1cc64ddc78d32cd70ef68c4ec696f2e4.jpg

Transportation for hire

DSC00032.thumb.jpg.dd27fe0c67c4e1c3970dbcb8eb54e597.jpg

1597165374_DSC00033(2).thumb.jpg.e34148935b7cb6c976b8e199153a2add.jpg

Roman cobblestones -- walking was not easy.  As we say every time we encounter these -- "damn  Romans".DSC00084.thumb.jpg.51ebeba84fd5fbff99338334cadee3d6.jpg

The obligatory photo in front of the Treasury

IMG_0468.thumb.jpg.c335b6044ddefd1ec5934583a6850dcf.jpg

Sunset on the way back to the ship

IMG_0503.thumb.jpg.0a8b0bf66ee812045ee3aed89c3e33da.jpg

Thank you for your photos!  Were you on a ship's tour?  When we went I had no idea how beautiful a lost city could be.

• Like 7

35 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIad4YakP0AfaBNgBIS7A38?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

One particular rock formation looked like a fish from the side but an elephant from the front. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIeWlG7SjhZHQMOumbtMuVv?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

The elephant view00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJbCV6wHZSLXPy_UdO2Mtlu?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

The colors of the rock can vary widely.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIKt2pCdoWZOfgdBSdci-ZM?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Most interesting are the many niches carved into the sandstone walls.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK9ijWdbs8hptqaRSdzHqch?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Suddenly ahead we saw, through the gap in the rock, the magnificent Treasury!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK0k_niSUwtkbd4Gh8N_HPW?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

It rises to almost 128 feet and is intricately decorated with Corinthian capitals, decorative bands, figures and more.  It is crowned by an urn, which according to local legend conceals a pharaoh's treasure.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ5ZEFT-JbG_t4-5ppkjM7z?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIhppRAooX5j1i5RON3TKcZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL764p5VU7CoEKeeztWJ3vb?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

To the left of the Treasury is this area to rest and shop. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIAgO-0P2gMZTgaefG75XT2?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

You could rent a camel for a ride here in case you were tiring from the walk.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIXxh6WmYOxWatcBnHRevq1?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

From the Treasury we proceeded on to the Street of Facades, the name given to the row of monumental tombs carved into the southern cliff face.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJhfK4FeykmYQQmU4xNJ-E7?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIIaqabYgt3bq8m-t-wf05N?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJOiadmMllBBKMxYqkm0EID?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI_qD9SkTasXLnwsTj4-voQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIUK1obVFnJyTom9jXVIPiO?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLJfBG-IsOIzoFmgc8NTzQ4?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

The Theatre

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIjhWe_k2MiojkblcsJ7kdW?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Our guide Zayed and some of the Royal Tombs.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIaLg0LVDdkm9ugN41Uohyu?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKLvyUcjurPttfrUFGtAGYL?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKRl8RVYHW0PlrG5hmWMhbC?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI2d0Zlt9Y7gG_-t1ObsNnb?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

We walked as far as we could.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLSlTnb4_ksJ8JdaGPaNXY4?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

All the way to the Nymphaeum, a semi-circular public fountain shaded by a 450 year old wild pistachio tree.  No water here!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIpuh2FmTW6SId22y5VUPwA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Further down was the Colonnaded Street which would have been a shopping street in ancient Petra, but by now we were ready to turn back.  We had miles to walk, uphill to return to our bus.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJdPKUeWRNzYszMRMw9MRq3?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIl6IzMfCP140NpfIPnj6pp?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

When we walked back past the Treasury there were lots more people there.  Glad we got there early!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKJ7P0e2vXqrUj7MkhXs9mz?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

You had to watch out for carts and horses all the time or risk getting run over.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKi9XzBq6VNlTi8Yn8r-hc0?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJyGQH1DN6u9nVqkB4ILUxG?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

On to lunch!

Wonderful photos thank you.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, AncientWanderer said:

It doesn't mention if it's washable or not.  After all the sweating we did yesterday I would want to be able to clean it.  

Funny thing, last weekend we went into Home Depot and I saw a man wearing a brace like this and jokingly told DH, I need one of those sometimes.  I foretold the future.  

My Dad used to wear a brace for his back pain.  He injured his discs in a fall from some rafters in the 1950's and as he aged his discs disintegrated causing bone to rub on bone.  He was in excruciating pain for decades.  Nothing anyone did helped him.  So happy there is no pain in Heaven!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Thank you to all who fought in the Korean War.  I'd love to be on the other side of the Atlantic right now to be able to make a call, wouldn't you?  I like listening to bagpipes, especially in marching bands. 

In elementary school we had to try walking on stilts during one PE class.  I managed to get a couple of steps in before I bailed, but the class clown figured he could try using them as pogo sticks - resulting in a face plant on the floor and the loss of his 2 front teeth.  I'm sure today his parents would have likely sued the school and teacher beyond belief, but that was a different time and he came back toothless for a while until  a partial plate was made for him.

@kazu I'm sorry to hear the smoke has made it's way to you, but fair's fair - now it's your turn to give us some of your rain.

@StLouisCruisers love your photos - thanks for sharing them - were you on a ship tour?  Sorry to hear about your DMIL's fall - that can be disconcerting when you get a call like that.

Another hot and muggy day here on the "frozen tundra" with our high expected to reach 35C (95F), and the humidity is at 78% when normally we're sitting around the 45 mark.  I'm going to head outside to water all the plants, then come in, close up all the windows and turn on the a/c for the day.

I really like today's menu suggestion, but have some ground beef thawing in the fridge which will be made into tacos tonight.  I'm pretty sure we've got some tater tots in the freezer that can be tossed into the air fryer for a dinner that will replicate Taco Tuesday at Taco Time.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra thanks for everyone on this thread who comes here and brightens the days of others, rather than becoming petty and ugly.  Raising the glasses tonight to toast all on the happy list.  Stay safe, be well, wash your hands, wear your masks when you need to, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 20

Just now, StLouisCruisers said:

It doesn't mention if it's washable or not.  After all the sweating we did yesterday I would want to be able to clean it.  

Funny thing, last weekend we went into Home Depot and I saw a man wearing a brace like this and jokingly told DH, I need one of those sometimes.  I foretold the future.  

My Dad used to wear a brace for his back pain.  He injured his discs in a fall from some rafters in the 1950's and as he aged his discs disintegrated causing bone to rub on bone.  He was in excruciating pain for decades.  Nothing anyone did helped him.  So happy there is no pain in Heaven!

That thing has been life-changing for me.  I don't have a terrible back, but a bit of a bulged disc that acts up when doing heavy gardening or at the kitchen sink all day preparing a holiday, etc.

I try to remember to put it on before trouble starts, but sometimes just start wearing it at first sign of trouble.  It's dopey looking for sure.  I usually put it over a lightweight T-shirt and then wear a blouse or something over it because, as you say, it would get sweaty.  I really cannot recommend highly enough.  It has saved my back.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

DMIL fell out of bed again last night.  That happens a lot so they have her bed as low as it will go and have foam pads on the floor to cushion her.  She has never broken a bone in a fall so that is one positive thing

Wow!  Can’t they use the protective things they have in the hospital for her?

Or something else?  Thank heavens she didn’t break anything.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thank you for your photos!  Were you on a ship's tour?  When we went I had no idea how beautiful a lost city could be.

Yes, we were on a ship's tour.  Actually, I think I should be thanking you for your photos -- you got there ahead of the tour busses so got pictures without the "madding crowd" 🤭

I agree, it was beautiful and amazing...a great day.  (Machu Picchu is another beautiful and amazing lost city.)

• Like 10