Hiding/Finding Rubber Ducks

atexsix

1 hour ago, leerathje said:

lol....I hid 20 ducks on the Oosterdam....

L.

We hid a dozen on Noordam but you definitely win!! 😄  

Edited by zelker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Thanks could you post it on the Holland America FB page as well??

Tried again without the link etc.  It won't even let me "mention" another FB group.  Sorry.

L.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SumoCitrus said:

If someone flushed one of these things down a cruse ship toilet, how much harm could it do?

The same harm that any one of thousands of commonly found items would do. Yet somehow rolled socks, balls of yarn, and jars of face cream are still allowed on board.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, HAL4NOW said:

@Copper10-8 Just out of curiosity: how often do foreign objects get flushed down the toilets enough to clog the system? I suspect it happens a lot.

More often than you and I would like! You wouldn't believe what the poor Filipino plumbers have fished/fish/and no doubt will fish out of the ship's plumbing system. And all that, despite the obvious sign above the commode. Some folks are completeny clueless! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

I am just suggesting to talk about the ducks on the Holland America FB 

This is what I posted, and it was rejected:

"Well, now that some are actually cruising now, don't forget that there's a little fun and frivolity that you can have...hiding Cruising Ducks!   Check out the Holland America Cruising Ducks page for more info.  (Of course, no links are allowed, so you'll have to search for it.) So much fun to hide them, so much fun to find them!"

L.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

More often than you and I would like! You wouldn't believe what the poor Filipino plumbers have fished/fish/and no doubt will fish out of the ship's plumbing system. And all that, despite the obvious sign above the commode. Some folks are completeny clueless! 

Oh yeah, I’m sure that’s true. 

I guess my bigger question is; is the cruise line actually ok with passengers doing this?  I guess it’s mostly harmless, but seems like something that could go too far. I’ve read posts in the past of people taking a hundred+ aboard to hide. 

Edited by Aquahound
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Oh yeah, I’m sure that’s true. 

I guess my bigger question is; is the cruise line actually ok with passengers doing this?  I guess it’s mostly harmless, but seems like something that could go too far. I’ve read posts in the past of people taking a hundred+ aboard to hide. 

No, they are not OK with it but it's hard to trace from which toilet/cabin that stuff originated so they could dish out consequences

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

On our last Princess sailing, when the Captain did his "welcome aboard" announcement, he was very clear that wipes (as in personal wipes) were not to be flushed.  Surprised he had to be so specific because people don't know any better.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

No, they are not OK with it but it's hard to trace from which toilet/cabin that stuff originated so they could dish out consequences

Ha!  I hear you on that. But I was referring to the practice of passengers hiding them…..not flushing them. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

How many towels from the rack hanging above the toilet?!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Ha!  I hear you on that. But I was referring to the practice of passengers hiding them…..not flushing them. 😀

To answer your question Coastie 😉 The "rubber duck hiding scheme" on HAL, as far as I'm aware, never made it to the security level as a negative issue that had to be tackled. I have actually never heard of it until reading this thread.

Having said that, the ships facilities manager, chief housekeeper, beverage manager, etc. and their respective staff might have a different opinion re: the topic.

I guess it would depend on where these rubber duckies are being "hidden" onboard. Are the folks involved in this activity going into "crew only" or other "off limit to pax" areas to hide these little buoyant anatidae or are they limiting the hiding areas to staterooms and public areas of the vessel?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

To answer your question Coastie 😉 The "rubber duck hiding scheme" on HAL, as far as I'm aware, never made it to the security level as a negative issue that had to be tackled. I have actually never heard of it until reading this thread.

Having said that, the ships facilities manager, chief housekeeper, beverage manager, etc. and their respective staff might have a different opinion re: the topic.

Agree…in this age of contagion when every surface must be cleaned and inspected, extraneous objects may not survive from one cruise to the next, I suspect.

• Like 3

I am all for having fun, and doing things on a cruise that we don't do at home (belly dance class! bungee trampoline!), but, especially now, in light of the increased sanitation measures, I just don't get why this is an appealing activity.

I've seen how thoroughly the crew clean every surface, every nook and cranny.  So if I put a duck in a nook or a cranny, and a cleaner finds it, is he/she supposed to sanitize it, carefully return it to its chosen spot?  If I find one, am I supposed to hide it somewhere else?  Do you have any evidence that my hands were clean?  Do people go around moving furniture and feeling under tables, in search of these ducks?

The duckies are adorable, but can someone please explain to me why hiding and searching is a good thing to be doing?

• Like 6

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

If I find one, am I supposed to hide it somewhere else?  Do you have any evidence that my hands were clean?  Do people go around moving furniture and feeling under tables, in search of these ducks?

The duckies are adorable, but can someone please explain to me why hiding and searching is a good thing to be doing?

I Think that if you see one of these pesky Anatidae (and yes - I had to look that up) lollygagging about I would think that you should call the purser, security Officer, and Hotel Manager immediately to have the beast restrained and sanitarily disposed of  - and then wash your hands again.

If you see any crotchety old people moving furniture around an feeling under tables, - I would most assuredly call the medical staff and security people - they clearly need mental health supervision, and or physical restraint - and how DO YOU know what they are sourcing for - best to alert the authorities  - you know - just in case. But it is more likely they are hunting for the hearing aid battery that fell out (DAMHIK).

I would postulate that hiding them, and searching for them is - Good for the child that is still yearning - in some of us that is - to be free.

It is a cruise - chill out - have a bit of childish fun - or at least let others.

Its a duck - and a little yellow one at that.

Edited by RGEDad
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Say what?

I suspect that small towels or facecloths could accidentally drop into the toilet since the rack it hangs right above it. 

On our Alaska cruise in 2007 they did ask people to be careful  with items flushed; a wash cloth had caused a blackage. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, RGEDad said:

I would postulate that hiding them, and searching for them is - Good for the child that is still yearning - in some of us that is - to be free.

I freely admit that I don't have much of the child left in me, but do still have a bit of the mom. I worry that if something like this becomes a craze it could easily become a nuisance on what is essentially a small public space shared by a couple thousand people. I could easily imagine someone stepping on one inadvertently, being startled, losing their balance, and .... 

Even Ernie learned that at some point you have to "put down the Duckie".

Sesame Street: Ernie Learns to Put Down The Duckie - YouTube

Please hide in moderation.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

I guess it would depend on where these rubber duckies are being "hidden" onboard. Are the folks involved in this activity going into "crew only" or other "off limit to pax" areas to hide these little buoyant anatidae or are they limiting the hiding areas to staterooms and public areas of the vessel?

Just to public areas, Copper.  Like, around the statues that are in the elevator area, or along the window ledge of the dining area of the Lido.  Here's a photo of the location of one that I "hid", and a  photo of the people that found it.

duck.JPG

duck1.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1