2 cruises 2 Alaska: Yellow Fish sails again!

PescadoAmarillo

19 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Hi everyone, unbeknownst to us, our T-Mobile cellular is useless in Alaska. We have no service at all and no WiFi on the Nieuw Amsterdam. However, we are sitting to a fire pit on the rocky beach at Icy Strait Point before sunset and found WiFi with a whopping 2Mbps upload speed. I’m managed to drink beer and upload three posts (they’re rough, with no editing) simultaneously. Today was a beautiful day in Glacier Bay, weather has been fantastic. I will try to upload again in Sitka tomorrow and will definitely get caught up in Seattle on Saturday. Thanks for your patience. 

I happened to refresh the Blog page before this post made it up and came here looking to post a note.  I have not finished the three days of blogging as yet, but let me assure you that you have not lost a thing and it's like riding a bike - you are right back in the saddle and doing just great.  I was smiling and laughing before finishing Day 1.  

ETA:  Just to prove I wasn't finished reading it all yet, I thought HAL had dropped Formal Nights.  Yes, it's Gala Nights with formal optional.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Hi everyone, unbeknownst to us, our T-Mobile cellular is useless in Alaska. We have no service at all and no WiFi on the Nieuw Amsterdam. However, we are sitting to a fire pit on the rocky beach at Icy Strait Point before sunset and found WiFi with a whopping 2Mbps upload speed. I’m managed to drink beer and upload three posts (they’re rough, with no editing) simultaneously. Today was a beautiful day in Glacier Bay, weather has been fantastic. I will try to upload again in Sitka tomorrow and will definitely get caught up in Seattle on Saturday. Thanks for your patience. 

I'll remove the pic from my reply in case you try to see this with your weenie Internet connection. I had read that you wouldn't have connectivity on HAL and have been waiting for you to "pop up" once you got somewhere.  Happy you managed to drink beer. We consider that essential when visiting places. 😎 So glad you have had good weather. I'll be checking your blog (as usual) for further info

Note: Once again our Australian cruises are certain to be cancelled. Please tell G that his "Great Potato Chip Adventure In Oz" has inspired me.😁 I look forward to discovering the myriad flavors of "crisps" available if the world ever returns to some semblance of normality and we can actually visit the great land Down Under.

• Like 2

Absolutely delightful blog.  Just love it.  Sorry your internet isn't stronger!

Am wondering why you take a magnetic clothes line and don't just use the one in the shower?  You are such an experienced cruiser I am thinking you know something I don't... and I'd like to know too!

Again, thanks for a great blog. Enjoy Alaska!

• Like 2

I woke up at 3am and checked to see if your blog had updated yet. 😜 I was so excited that it had, I stayed up reading your posts. They are so informative. Your menu photos are wonderful along with the scenic photos. Thanks and thanks again!!!!

Cheers, Denise

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I do that all the time and wish it happened more - seems wasteful to copy forward reams of photos.

Agreed. I'm often amazed when several people reply to a post that's filled with pictures and they all leave the pic in over and over and over.

• Like 4

We discovered today in Sitka that we turn off our automatic carrier selection under Cellular Data in settings and then choose ATT. That gives us 1 bar of 4G signal strength, similar to what we get overseas. We’ll take it. 

We bring our own clothesline because it makes us stabby to be taking down and re-hanging wet clothes when we want to shower, plus it supports more weight and feels cleaner. 

• Like 5

So excited to read your and G’s adventures again!!!  Laughed out loud several times already!!!  Thank you for taking us along!!!  Have a joyous, and healthy time!!  😻

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

We bring our own clothesline because it makes us stabby to be taking down and re-hanging wet clothes when we want to shower, plus it supports more weight and feels cleaner. 

Which clothesline are you bringing and where do you hang it?  Balcony?  THIS IS VERY HELPFUL!

On 8/4/2021 at 8:50 PM, BuckeyeMark said:

Which clothesline are you bringing and where do you hang it?  Balcony?  THIS IS VERY HELPFUL!

I will take a photo of it on the Majestic Princess and post it. It’s not on the balcony.  It fits perfectly across the width of the cabin. 

• Like 4

Have recently discovered your blog-wow, just wow!  Been reading it about your South Pacific ports & taking notes as we are going next Fall.

Caught up on your Alaska cruise on the NA and will be following along tomorrow too.  Have another great cruise.   

• Like 1

We have always enjoyed following your blog and all the helpful hints!  Just wondering how you managed the updated CV-19 testing requirements as you change ships and cruise lines?

Edited by 81Zoomie

12 minutes ago, 81Zoomie said:

We have always enjoyed following your blog and all the helpful hints!  Just wondering how you managed the updated CV-19 testing requirements as you change ships and cruise lines?

The new testing requirement does not start until next week voyage.