Refund for new test requirement

8 minutes ago, ScottsSweetie said:

It was my understanding that the new recommendations are for "high community transmission areas". I'm not sure if cruise ships fall under that category.

High transmission rates in port cities could have an impact.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

The point is they have people coming from all over, so they are treating the ship as if it is.  

So, not following the CDC recommendations. Because if I live in a "high community transmission area", the CDC says I should be wearing a mask. But if I travel to an area without high transmission then the CDC does not recommend that I wear a mask. But follow the science!

1 hour ago, dandeck said:

As a fully vaccinated person, with 3 short cruises in November & 4 B2B in Jan - Feb, those are excellent questions!  Also, when on B2B, do you get tested before each cruise?!  With the possibly of being put off the ship and no flt scheduled to go home?!  Omg, this is getting complicated!!  All this is why I got vaccinated!!  

I called and was told they will test on the ship

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I would let my credit card company fight with them if they refuse a refund over last minute rule changes.

EXACTOMONDO ! My cruise on the PANORAMA isn't until January 29th, but I'm not going to continue jumping through hoops just to please Carnival with one of their last minute conditions and not be given a FULL REFUND if that occurs. Agree with onthweb. Let Carnival duke it out with my credit card company.

15 minutes ago, glrounds said:

EXACTOMONDO ! My cruise on the PANORAMA isn't until January 29th, but I'm not going to continue jumping through hoops just to please Carnival with one of their last minute conditions and not be given a FULL REFUND if that occurs. Agree with onthweb. Let Carnival duke it out with my credit card company.

and by the end of January this may all be over, but you cancelled

43 minutes ago, EngIceDave said:

and by the end of January this may all be over, but you cancelled

Final payment not due 'til October 31st and reduced deposit so I'll have plenty of time to consider with very little at stake. This just increases my interest in trips to Spain and Germany.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, glrounds said:

Just make sure you are able to document all transaction between yourself and the cruise lines. Be able to show how they changed from the time they took your money and the time you would be able to sail. Also have dates of whenever you called them and told them you wanted a refund and what their answer was. Make sure your cc company knows you made a legitimate effort to obtain the refund and were turned down.

11 hours ago, glrounds said:

You will lose that battle.  CC charge reversals favor the vendor not the card holder. Usually in case of vendor fraud, unauthorized charges or other deceitful business practices.  contractual policy changes are listed under your passenger contract that you already agreed to. So you will not get the reversal.  Bet you can hope for is a FCC. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Yellowjacket1799 said:

Thanks, I have’nt had an opportunity to see his statement. I plan to call Carnival today as soon as I get an opportunity and find out what the penalty is. I just don’t think those of us that are vaccinated should have to be subject to a test that can give false positives from time to time. And what happens to someone that does test positive? Do they just loose out on all the money they’ve invested or do they get a future credit? 

if testing increases the chances of no one on my cruise is infected so be it. healthy passengers and crew means happy cruise for me. and i'm glad to get tested as many times as carnival wants before my cruise. btw...i'm happily vaxed. oh and, i'll be wearing a mask onboard regardless of the mask rules.

Edited by cyclist_guy1
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Just make sure you are able to document all transaction between yourself and the cruise lines. Be able to show how they changed from the time they took your money and the time you would be able to sail. Also have dates of whenever you called them and told them you wanted a refund and what their answer was. Make sure your cc company knows you made a legitimate effort to obtain the refund and were turned down.

The main problem is the cruise contract you agreed to allows them to change pretty much anything about your cruise, including boarding requirements, ports, and much more.  If people want to try this route, I wish them luck, but you can probably save yourself a lot of frustration and anger by simply taking the cruise credit and scheduling a cruise for sometime late next year. 

You cancelled the cruise, not Carnival

The product offered and purchased is still available to you.

Contract of carriage that you agreed to allows for any number of changes, especially changes based on the health and welfare of the entire ship.

Cancellation is your decision, not Carnival's

Your refusal to adhere to health guidelines established by the cruise line in conjunction with the CDC and relevant health advisors, is on you.

If a lawyer takes this case, he's only doing it to milk you for the hours. No lawyer will take this on contingency.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrMarc said:

No, the Judge said that the CDC could not enforce rules, but they could make recommendations.  Not surprisingly, the cruise lines are actually interested in the safety of their passengers (and their own reputations) and really do not care about the politicization of this medical issue.  They will follow the CDC not because they have to, but because they are quite intelligent.

People lose sight of this. Most cruise lines wanted to follow CDC guidelines. At least one wanted to exceed it. It was only the State of Florida that challenged the CDC. It was a waste of time and money since cruise lines were going to follow them even if they were downgraded to recommendations.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mikeandliz said:

You will lose that battle.  CC charge reversals favor the vendor not the card holder. Usually in case of vendor fraud, unauthorized charges or other deceitful business practices.  contractual policy changes are listed under your passenger contract that you already agreed to. So you will not get the reversal.  Bet you can hope for is a FCC. 

Not sure what you are basing this one, but I'd say they bend over backwards to give the credit to the cardholder. I worked for amex so I know, not just making up facts. 

For instance you disputed a charge, merchant contacted and we didnt get a reply in the allowed time by law, charge back the merchant. Of course this doesnt mean the merchant wouldnt come after you to collect the money or report you as a non payer to credit bureau. 

Seems like people today are just posting anything as if it's a fact. Oh I worked in disputes for amex, I worked disputes for years. Not some other area, disputes. I have 1000s of cases to know how they work. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Yellowjacket1799 said:

Thanks, I have’nt had an opportunity to see his statement. I plan to call Carnival today as soon as I get an opportunity and find out what the penalty is. I just don’t think those of us that are vaccinated should have to be subject to a test that can give false positives from time to time. And what happens to someone that does test positive? Do they just loose out on all the money they’ve invested or do they get a future credit? 

You get your test on your own up to 72 hours before the cruise. So as far as false positives go, as long as you test on the early side of the 72 hours you may have time to get a second test. 

1 hour ago, MrMarc said:

The main problem is the cruise contract you agreed to allows them to change pretty much anything about your cruise, including boarding requirements, ports, and much more.  If people want to try this route, I wish them luck, but you can probably save yourself a lot of frustration and anger by simply taking the cruise credit and scheduling a cruise for sometime late next year. 

Thank you, MrMarc. And also comments from Mikeandliz and ontheweb. A somewhat  "cooler head" is now looking at this conundrum. And as EnglceDave has suggested, this may all be over by January 29th.

With 34 Carnival cruises at 82 years of age, FCC is at best, amusing. Maybe it's time for this sailor to move on and let Carnival use my deposit to buy more advertising. Everybody wins I guess.

Just now, glrounds said:

Thank you, MrMarc. And also comments from Mikeandliz and ontheweb. A somewhat  "cooler head" is now looking at this conundrum. And as EnglceDave has suggested, this may all be over by January 29th.

With 34 Carnival cruises at 82 years of age, FCC is at best, amusing. Maybe it's time for this sailor to move on and let Carnival use my deposit to buy more advertising. Everybody wins I guess.

You've made it this far, don't give up now.  And right now I am not a cooler head, my back is killing me and I am being somewhat of a jerk.  I am saying things I want to say, but usually wouldn't.  As for your situation, I am sure you have a PCP.  Talk to them and see if they can do more for you, I actually believe they have some leeway based on how young you are.

• Haha 1

CARNIVAL CRUISE LINE REFUND* AND CANCELLATION POLICY FOR COVID-19 (from https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols?icid=advisory_cruisehealth_072821)

The following information applies to all sailings scheduled during the declared Public Health Emergency involving COVID-19. Except as specifically stated below, or as otherwise provided in the Ticket Contract for your cruise, the standard cancellation policies and penalties described in the Ticket Contract apply.

CRUISE CANCELLED BY CARNIVAL

• If your cruise is cancelled by Carnival or boarding is delayed by twenty-four (24) hours or more due to government order or declaration of Public Health Emergency, you are entitled to a refund of the amount paid to Carnival within 180 days, or an optional Future Cruise Credit (“FCC”).

CRUISE CANCELLED BY GUEST

• If, following a declaration of a Public Health Emergency, you cancel a booking for a cruise scheduled during the declared emergency, or must cancel your booking because you are prohibited from traveling to the vessel due to a governmental travel restriction, but the cruise is not cancelled, you are entitled to a FCC for the amount paid to Carnival. In all other cases our standard cancellation policy will apply, as set forth in the Ticket Contract for your cruise.
  • If you, your family members living with you in the same household or travelling companions assigned to the same stateroom cancel a cruise booking due to testing positive for COVID-19 within 14 days of embarkation, you and they are entitled to a FCC for the amount paid to Carnival. If guest has close contact with a positive or suspected COVID-19 case within 14 days of embarkation, and Carnival deems you are unfit to travel, you are eligible for a FCC.
  • To qualify for the FCC, if your COVID-19 test was administered by a provider other than one retained by Carnival, you must present your verified positive test result in a form acceptable to Carnival.

DENIAL OF EMBARKATION OR REBOARDING; QUARANTINE AND/OR DISEMBARKATION

• If you, your family members, travelling companions or other close contacts are denied embarkation or reboarding, or quarantined or disembarked during the voyage, due to a positive COVID-19 test or being suspected of having COVID-19, you and they are entitled to a FCC for the amount paid to Carnival in the event of denial at embarkation, or a pro-rated refund of the unused portion of your Cruise Fare in all other cases.
  • Guests denied embarkation or reboarding, or who are disembarked or quarantined during the voyage, for failure to comply with the Carnival COVID-19 Guest Protocols in effect at the time of the cruise, shall not be entitled to a refund or compensation of any kind. Please refer to the Ticket Contract issued for your cruise for complete details.

*All refund requests must be made within six months of the scheduled embarkation date or you will only be entitled to a Future Cruise Credit for the amount specified.

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Not sure what you are basing this one, but I'd say they bend over backwards to give the credit to the cardholder. I worked for amex so I know, not just making up facts. 

For instance you disputed a charge, merchant contacted and we didnt get a reply in the allowed time by law, charge back the merchant. Of course this doesnt mean the merchant wouldnt come after you to collect the money or report you as a non payer to credit bureau. 

Seems like people today are just posting anything as if it's a fact. Oh I worked in disputes for amex, I worked disputes for years. Not some other area, disputes. I have 1000s of cases to know how they work. 

Thank you. My experience with Amex has always been positive when disputing a charge.

• Like 1