Carnival Vista from today's USA Today

lostsoulcruiser

14 minutes ago, topaz123 said:

More than two dozen cases of Covid-19 have been detected among crew and passengers aboard a Carnival cruise ship, according to the Belize Tourism Board.  Is this true, it was reported on CNN?

Yes, it's true. That's old news though that was first brought up on this board on Tuesday, I believe. Lots of talk about it, just search the threads. :classic_wink:

1 hour ago, bucfan2 said:

Sorry you couldn’t understand the point I was trying to make in a soft manner.  I’ll rephrase it so even you can understand….I believe failure of a cruise line will make for easier social distancing.

Next Cruise desks have never been on Carnival in that name and a variation of it has not been on Carnival in years.  You obviously have it confused with another cruise line that you like to cruise on.  Which begs the question, why are you on the Carnival boards when you have not cruised on Carnival in 4 years?  Or better yet, since you probably don't have a Carnival cruise currently booked, it'll be real easy for you to social distance sitting behind your keyboard.

They did a good job containing the spread   .however this is the 3ed cruise ship that I know of that  has had the covid  . It is apparent that the Delta variant is   as   aggressive as chicken pox  ,so expect more cases on ships; but ,as long as there are strong protocols in place it is containable

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

They did a good job containing the spread   .however this is the 3ed cruise ship that I know of that  has had the covid  . It is apparent that the Delta variant is   as   aggressive as chicken pox  ,so expect more cases on ships; but ,as long as there are strong protocols in place it is containable

I hope your right. I’m not sure. 
Tony

58 minutes ago, caribill said:

And all 27 people had been fully vaccinated.

Which is why testing prior to boarding is so important.

People seem to think that if they are fully vaccinated, they are impregnable.  You can still get the virus, but hopefully,  the vaccinations will mitigate the symptoms. 

• Like 1

27 people out of almost 4500 (1500 crew, 3000 cruisers) tested positive making the positivity rate 0.6%. Wow. Maybe a cruise ship is the safest place to be right now. 

And that ship isn't 100% vaxed!!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

Which is why testing prior to boarding is so important.

People seem to think that if they are fully vaccinated, they are impregnable.  You can still get the virus, but hopefully,  the vaccinations will mitigate the symptoms. 

But testing before you get on you may have it and it doesn't show up until later.  That's my problem with the testing.  Why not just have 100% vaccinated only and be done with it?  Then it would be no different than people years prior on ships with colds/flu and out and spreading it around.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mellon1 said:

But testing before you get on you may have it and it doesn't show up until later.  That's my problem with the testing.  Why not just have 100% vaccinated only and be done with it?  Then it would be no different than people years prior on ships with colds/flu and out and spreading it around.  

Sorry - testing will show if you are positive or negative,  so if you are negative you will not develop symptoms.

All cruises out of the UK are for 100% double vaccinated people, and everyone  is tested  immediately before embarkation.  Positive test - no cruise!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Sorry - testing will show if you are positive or negative,  so if you are negative you will not develop symptoms.

All cruises out of the UK are for 100% double vaccinated people, and everyone  is tested  immediately before embarkation.  Positive test - no cruise!

But I was under the impression you would have been next to someone say Monday (the day you got your test) but then don't develop symptoms for a couple days later?  That's what my nurse friend said can happen.  It isn't instant that you are next to someone and then you get the test right there and test positive I mean.  Or is she wrong?

2 minutes ago, mellon1 said:

But I was under the impression you would have been next to someone say Monday (the day you got your test) but then don't develop symptoms for a couple days later?  That's what my nurse friend said can happen.  It isn't instant that you are next to someone and then you get the test right there and test positive I mean.  Or is she wrong?

Obviously there is a time lag between exposure and the test result showing positive, but by testing obe hour before embarkation you are getting the latest possible result.

15 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Obviously there is a time lag between exposure and the test result showing positive, but by testing obe hour before embarkation you are getting the latest possible result.

I guess my point is so many people fly the day of the cruise and have been in the airport and on a plane for many hours and then they get tested that day.  It just doesn't seem like it's the best scenario.  Probably better than nothing I guess.  Being vaccinated is the only thing to slow this variant down.  We didn't want the shots, but got them because of traveling and because we care about infecting people around us.

7 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

The Majestic Princess has also had cases -- and more than one or two as have many other ships sailing right now.  Look at the CDC Cruise Ship Color Status.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/cruise-ship-color-status.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fcoronavirus%2F2019-ncov%2Ftravelers%2Fcrew-disembarkations-commercial-travel.html

They say on the page what each color means.

image.png.2b7b397a20d7ae7faede34762c738774.png

The Majestic Princess is yellow so it has met the criteria for being above the threshold although they don't say what the threshold is.  It's been yellow or orange for multiple weeks now, so we know they've had cases because the data is updated regularly.  I was on the ship last week, but we never heard about cases.  Nevertheless, they are happening.  We kept our masks on last week except in the dining room as did quite a few others on the ship just to help minimize the spread.

52 minutes ago, mellon1 said:

I guess my point is so many people fly the day of the cruise and have been in the airport and on a plane for many hours and then they get tested that day.  It just doesn't seem like it's the best scenario.  Probably better than nothing I guess

But being tested at the port has to be better than being tested three days before the cruise! 

52 minutes ago, wowzz said:

But being tested at the port has to be better than being tested three days before the cruise! 

So just tested at port by Princess free?  Also, so we don't have to be tested on our own 3 days before?  Thing is all those people are coming in and tested after in airport and flying.  Makes me scared.

19 minutes ago, mellon1 said:

So just tested at port by Princess free?  Also, so we don't have to be tested on our own 3 days before?  Thing is all those people are coming in and tested after in airport and flying.  Makes me scared.

Free?  I’ve paid plenty for my cruise.  I need to test 3 days before because I’m flying internationally but I think it would be nice to have the option to test at the pier.

27 out of nearly 4500 (3000 pax, 1500 crew) 95% vaxed persons = 0.6% positivity rate. Sounds like a cruise ship is the safest place to be. And they can enforce quarantine 

Sign me up!!

Edited by Ombud

28 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Free?  I’ve paid plenty for my cruise.  I need to test 3 days before because I’m flying internationally but I think it would be nice to have the option to test at the pier.

I thought everyone had to be tested 3 days before the cruise?  Am I wrong?  HELP!  We are from US and driving to Ft. L, 2 days, because we did not want to fly with covid.

4 minutes ago, Ombud said:

27 out of nearly 4500 (3000 pax, 1500 crew) 95% vaxed persons = 0.6% positivity rate. Sounds like a cruise ship is the safest place to be. And they can enforce quarantine 

Sign me up!!

More like 27 out 7500, +/-. The cases were over TWO cruises. Vista is expected to sail today as scheduled, as I predicted. Once again the doom and gloom false prophets were wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I cruise both Carnival & Princess. Princess tomorrow.  Carnival next spring. It's not hard to find, book, endure the test. And it's covered by insurance, state, and feds. So I don't understand all the naysayers unless they just like being negative. Covid is here to stay. I just figure out how to live my life within the parameters and stay safe. I will not hibernate forever. But you do you, I'll do me

Vaxed, tested, masked, cruising!!