Carnival Vista from today's USA Today

lostsoulcruiser

11 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

Unless Carnival exceeds the CDC threshold, what difference does it make on each cruise?  People know by now that they can get covid if they travel.  It appears that Carnival exceeded the crew threshold with the Vista cruise, but on other cruises when the cases are fewer it shouldn't make a difference. 

Transparency. We were on the Horizon July 10 cruise and they shut down the shops the last day. Never said that an employee was sick. We found out from another crew member.

10 hours ago, Stick93 said:

Seeem like the other lines are doing better. Carnival having Belize inspect the ship prob give nobody confidence. The CDC will prob come on board later and we shall see what happens. 

They are packing ships with 80% capacity - which their ships have less comman space than most of the other lines. Do your math more people, less space - COVID and you get a poss disaster. 

I don’t care if people want to hear this because they are so happy to get on a ship they will take any chance, but 27 people means there is a chance there are many many many more. 

Ships arent going out at 80% and never have as of yet and capacity seems to be dropping. Why would belize inspecting the ship give me less confidence. Protocols were met. Carnival did what they needed to. Seems like a positive. 

I think I'm now under a month to board vista. Probably still have some positives. Luckily in isolation. I doubt if any cruises will be at 0. Nor air planes or disney. I'll stay onboard and try to avoid crowds.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Ships arent going out at 80% and never have as of yet and capacity seems to be dropping. Why would belize inspecting the ship give me less confidence. Protocols were met. Carnival did what they needed to. Seems like a positive. 

I think I'm now under a month to board vista. Probably still have some positives. Luckily in isolation. I doubt if any cruises will be at 0. Nor air planes or disney. I'll stay onboard and try to avoid crowds.

I totally agree.  We will be on Vista September 11 and I’m confident that Carnival is following protocols.  I’m in Texas so I figure there are more people in HEB that would test positive than on the ship. (Percentages).   We will have a child with us, age 12, that we had vaccinated as soon as his cake was cut.  We will wear masks and avoid crowds.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We are on the Vista a week from tomorrow. It's been a long and dry spell for us to sail again. We'll follow all protocols. Wife's going to stay on the ship when we port in Belize. I may or may not go on a ruin excursion. But definitely get off the ship. Looking forward to it. We are driving down next Friday & staying overnight at a Motel 6(yeah, I know but got it at a good rate) in Galveston 5 minutes from the port. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

And if and when the CDC does that using the Coast Guard, lots and lots of passengers will be extremely agitated.

1 hour ago, Babr said:

Ships have to be granted permission every time they enter port. Free pratique is just part of the process. Most passengers have never been aware of it until now, and it really does not matter if they get agitated.

The USCG is just the enforcer, the pratique process is complicated and involves approval from multiple agencies.  I'm sure a lot of passengers would be upset if the normal paperwork process was changed to a full inspection of the ship and testing for all personal onboard.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kleibo said:

Blerk - I guess there was no issue in Cozumel.  Weren't they stopping there next?

Cozumel was the next scheduled port. I don't know if they stopped, but am sure there would have been misleading headlines, if not flat out lies if the ship had missed Cozumel 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Babr said:

I don’t think “allow” is the right word. They were under the jurisdiction of the port authorities. They are the ones who control port entry.

Of course Carnival allowed. Carnival has the option to skip the port. But Carnival opted for transparency. As always, the CDC was aware of the situation because Carnival is following CDC guidelines and is required to report illnesses 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, asalligo said:

Well we knew the mainstream media would get it eventually. Let's all remember next time that Cruise Law News, ambulance chaser or not, was absolutely accurate with their information. 

33 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Stu on FBN says coming up, 27 tested positive on carnival. We will tell you next what they are doing about it. Its spread too wide to contain the news. Lol as bad as covid spreading like wildfire. Rumors.

Yes on local CTV in Vancouver now.

So, I'm on the Magic right now -- and I do think that Carnival is "following protocols" in general.  I'm not overly worried or anything.  That being said, I am a bit disappointed at the lack of hand washing or sanitizing stations.  It looks like there is just one at each entry door to the buffet area.  (And, I've literally seen maybe 5 or less people even use them.)  What I'd much rather see is several stations throughout the buffet area -- or, heck, just one at the END of the buffet line.  The idea should be that after you've had to touch everything else in line, let people clean up a bit before they sit down and touch their food.

Note that that isn't just a Covid thing.  This should, IMO, just be the standard for trying to prevent Covid or Norovirus or anything else on a ship (or any buffet for that matter) -- just have some hand sanitizing stations before AND AFTER the buffet line...

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, JohnMI said:

Note that that isn't just a Covid thing.  This should, IMO, just be the standard for trying to prevent Covid or Norovirus or anything else on a ship (or any buffet for that matter) -- just have some hand sanitizing stations before AND AFTER the buffet line...

Covid is primarily airborne and Noronvirus primarily a contact virus. Hand sanitizer isn't going to stop covid, but good hygiene will help with both.

3 hours ago, aquasea said:

Transparency. We were on the Horizon July 10 cruise and they shut down the shops the last day. Never said that an employee was sick. We found out from another crew member.

Perhaps sick, but not from covid. We were on the July 10th cruise, too. The shops were closed out of an abundance of caution, testing and contact tracing began immediately. What were they supposed to do? Start false rumors on speculation? That's what the Internet is for.

I didn't mind the shops behind closed the last day - saved me a ton of money.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

Of course Carnival allowed. Carnival has the option to skip the port. But Carnival opted for transparency. As always, the CDC was aware of the situation because Carnival is following CDC guidelines and is required to report illnesses 

Carnival did not “allow a foreign country to inspect the ship in the name of transparency.” You make it sound like a goodwill gesture on the part of Carnival who graciously consented to the request of the locals. 

Actually, the request had the force of authority behind it, and there are few good options for failure to comply.  They might have had to skip several ports since it is known that there were positive cases on board from the last cruise. Any other port would have done the same.

It is no surprise that they docked in Cozumel. The process there did not draw public scrutiny because the ship had just undergone an inspection in Belize.

No use to quibble over word connotation. The fact remains that ships are granted permission for port entry, and that is controlled by local authorities.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Babr said:

It is no surprise that they docked in Cozumel. The process there did not draw public scrutiny because the ship had just undergone an inspection in Belize.

The Captain always has command of the ship.

But yes, the Belize inspection did prove Carnival's protocols work. The CDC is satisfied, Mexico is satisfied, just about everyone except a few Internet skeptics is satisfied.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, asalligo said:

Well we knew the mainstream media would get it eventually. Let's all remember next time that Cruise Law News, ambulance chaser or not, was absolutely accurate with their information. 

Wellllll he didnt not say anything wrong but im not sure i would say his info was absolutely accurate.  Without the context behind the how it got spread and who spread it to who and where it got spread its just a figure, which he did get right. 27 people got covid....yup....and?  Next we'll se the TV ads...If you or a loved one contracted COVID on a Cruise ship call now to speak to a representative who can assist you.......

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

Wellllll he didnt not say anything wrong but im not sure i would say his info was absolutely accurate.  Without the context behind the how it got spread and who spread it to who and where it got spread its just a figure, which he did get right. 27 people got covid....yup....and?  Next we'll se the TV ads...If you or a loved one contracted COVID on a Cruise ship call now to speak to a representative who can assist you.......

call volume is higher than normal. Please hold...

The 27 number is over 2 cruises.

Just now, BlerkOne said:

call volume is higher than normal. Please hold...

The 27 number is over 2 cruises.

Yup which is why i dont think his report was "absolutely accurate"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnMI said:

So, I'm on the Magic right now -- and I do think that Carnival is "following protocols" in general.  I'm not overly worried or anything.  That being said, I am a bit disappointed at the lack of hand washing or sanitizing stations.  It looks like there is just one at each entry door to the buffet area.  (And, I've literally seen maybe 5 or less people even use them.)  What I'd much rather see is several stations throughout the buffet area -- or, heck, just one at the END of the buffet line.  The idea should be that after you've had to touch everything else in line, let people clean up a bit before they sit down and touch their food.

Handwashing stations have little to do with preventing COVID.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kleibo said:

Blerk - I guess there was no issue in Cozumel.  Weren't they stopping there next?

They stopped In Cozumel next - no issues  Turnaround day is tomorrow and I anticipate the ship will leave Galveston as on time as any of the cruises.

26 crew and 1 pax

Maybe the protocols are working but the crew is either not abiding by them or don't have the ability to.  Such as tight living/dining/rec areas?

Vax can still spread it so when conditions are that tight, transmission will be higher.

As far as Carnival "not doing a good job"......go read the other boards.

It seems they all point to the other cruise line as doing better with their protocols.

The Points Guy has an article that I just read online that paints the picture to be that the 27 Covid infected people are ALL on the ship currently and makes it sound like Carnival Cruise Line has been and is irresponsible in its actions.  Crazy as it has been said in this thread that it is a combination of 2 cruises that comprised that number of infections.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Alibaster McGillicutty said:

26 crew and 1 pax

Maybe the protocols are working but the crew is either not abiding by them or don't have the ability to.  Such as tight living/dining/rec areas?

Vax can still spread it so when conditions are that tight, transmission will be higher.

As far as Carnival "not doing a good job"......go read the other boards.

It seems they all point to the other cruise line as doing better with their protocols.

We have no idea if the crew just transferred onto the ship or not. I think they were vaccinate with the J&J one shot, which is less effective.

• Thanks 1