Carnival Health Assessment- have you traveled internationally in the last 14 days

Suncoastsailors

Someone posted a thread on this. She had been I think to Aruba, and carnival tested her.

Stopped me from booking that sept 25 awesome deal.

That was previous to having to show up with your own pre test. Idk if they will do another test at boarding or not when you already just got tested. I'm not booking anything else.

2 minutes ago, madamerkf said:

How would they know if you traveled internationally if someone chooses not to tell them?

You're passport? Lying on the assessment is a good way to get banned, and if they find out before or during the cruise, a good way to get booted off the ship without refund or recourse.

9 hours ago, drafterdw said:

Please tell me you would not lie about this! Thousands of peoples lives are at risk!

You would hope that people would not lie, but given there is a market for fake CDC vaccine cards, the fact that some people would lie is not surprising.

Well, if they were on a previous Carnival cruise, they got tagged.

And yes, this test is in addition to the one you need to get before even showing up at the pier. Though I suspect that now that the first week has occurred, systems might change.

14 hours ago, madamerkf said:

How would they know if you traveled internationally if someone chooses not to tell them?

They probably won't. When I've presented a passport at check in they just looked at the ID page; they didn't flip through it looking at stamp dates. Plus, if you really planned to lie it would be wiser to present your BC and DL at check in.

But, if you traveled internationally and then took a cruise you would have been tested before you returned to the US and within 72 hours of your cruise. Would you really care enough to lie simply to avoid another possible covid test??

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Cruisesfun65 said:

What's the logic for that??? Why take 2 tests at the same time if you get the same results???

The logic (for land based travel anyways is, you took a test 3 day before you traveled home.  tic toc tic toc, time marches on.  You could be positive in the time since the test.  We got off the Horizon two Saturdays ago, drove to PC and boarded the Mardi Gras.  Have to take a natigen test before boarding/

11 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

The logic (for land based travel anyways is, you took a test 3 day before you traveled home.  tic toc tic toc, time marches on.  You could be positive in the time since the test.  We got off the Horizon two Saturdays ago, drove to PC and boarded the Mardi Gras.  Have to take a natigen test before boarding/

In my case, I travel from overseas 1 day prior to embarkation. I take the test 1 day before travel, so my test is still valid as it's within the 3 days required. So why the need to take an extra test???

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cruisesfun65 said:

In my case, I travel from overseas 1 day prior to embarkation. I take the test 1 day before travel, so my test is still valid as it's within the 3 days required. So why the need to take an extra test???

Because figuring out the exceptions, like you, is harder than just a blanket statement that says "get tested at the port if you traveled outside the US within 14 days".

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cruisesfun65 said:

I can't imagine that they would test you a second time. If your international travel was simply from your home to the cruise ship, technically your answer to that question is obviously "yes"; however, I suspect they are looking at other types of travel. But, who knows?

• Like 1

What would be a better question (at least for cruises departing from Florida):

Have you traveled to FLORIDA in the last 14 days, or plan to travel there prior to your cruise?

Perhaps I'm missing the larger picture here, but are they trying to determine the risk level for being exposed to COVID?

Tom

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

What would be a better question (at least for cruises departing from Florida):

Have you traveled, or plan to travel, to FLORIDA in the last 14 days?

Perhaps I'm missing the larger picture here, but are they trying to determine the risk level for being exposed to COVID?

Tom

Trying to determine if the incubation period has passed.

45 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Trying to determine if the incubation period has passed.

Rather pointless, in my opinion. It's not like someone has been in total isolation since they left foreign soil - and there are many opportunities to become infected right here at "home". The real risk is all around us.

Tom 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Rather pointless, in my opinion. It's not like someone has been in total isolation since they left foreign soil - and there are many opportunities to become infected right here at "home". The real risk is all around us.

Tom 

It is rather pointless. I think it's just a holdover from early covid days. In the earliest days the question was if you had traveled to China recently, then turned into internationally within 14 days as it spread and the incubation period became known, and they have just never let that go. I agree with you that traveling to Florida for a cruise is already a high risk activity so asking about traveling to another country is a bit beside the point now. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Tom 

Exactly. Florida, the state you are most likely passing through before getting on the ship is the epicenter of Covid right now. Stupid to care if you have been over seas, but you know those dirty foreigners and all.  

• Like 1

ITA pointless now.  😉

OT PSA - yesterday when scheduling a home service appointment for my Whirlpool refrigerator the same "Have you traveled internationally in the last xx days" question was asked among the questions about Covid and your household. But the kicker was the last question "Have you been on a cruise in the last xx days?"! (I was so surprised hearing a question about cruising on there that I can't remember if they said 30, 60 or 90 days). But apparently Whirlpool won't schedule a home service appointment for you if you answer yes to cruising, so you better get those pesky appointments done before you sail LOL.

5 hours ago, Cruisesfun65 said:

Because those are the rules. It's just like when you were a kid and your parents told you to do something. You can ask why, but the reply will be just because I said so.

3 hours ago, asalligo said:

Exactly. Florida, the state you are most likely passing through before getting on the ship is the epicenter of Covid right now. Stupid to care if you have been over seas, but you know those dirty foreigners and all.  

Florida is on the way to Galveston? India and Brazil are likely saying hold my beer.