Wrong name on COVID card

sprinkles

After reading an interesting thread in the Celebrity forum, I thought I’d start one on here.  We’re sailing on the Koningsdam in November.  Here’s my story of woe regarding my COVID card.   Our home is in California, but hubby and I have been pretty much full timing in our RV for the last year and a half.  Got our first moderna shots in Wheeler county Texas in early February.  Got back to out motor home and saw that both cards had hubby’s name on them.  Called the hospital (the ice storm was just starting) to ask to come replace mine.  They told me, just to cross out hubby’s first name and write in mine.  I said I’d really prefer to replace mine.  They said no, it would be in the Texas Registry.

Second dose was given at a Walgreens in another part of Texas and they wrote my second dose of information on first card.  When we went home a few months ago “reading the writing on the wall” regarding our cruise.  Sent off a request from Texas for my records (hubby’s too).  What we received back was a one sheet piece of paper with the correct information on it, but honestly not really that official looking.  Sent all the above to our health department hoping to get a QR code in California, no such luck.  Texas, is currently not agreeing to “vaccine passports “.  As the days get closer I’m getting more concerned.  Any suggestions?  Any other stories of COVID card woe?

We discovered that my husband put his shortened name (like Bill not William, not his name) on his CDC card. We just returned from a Carnival cruise and a few weeks before that I was concerned because the Carnival protocols said the name on the CDC card had to match exactly the name on the cruise booking. I contacted our county health dept. who had provided our 2 Moderna vaccinations in January and they printed out and sent me our Florida State Health Dept. Shots database vaccination records. They had his correct full first name as it appeared on the Carnival booking.

I brought our CDC cards and the FL Shots database vaccination records with  me to embarkation last week. The  person doing check in looked at both CDC cards and didn't mention his names were different. So, I was ready to prove his full name was on the official state database, but ended up not having to do it.

However, with 7 more Holland America and Carnival cruises booked over the next 16 months, you can be sure I will be ready with both the CDC cards and the FL Shots database records just in case the check in people scrutinize the CDC cards more carefully.

Seems to be a common occurance, SOME kind of mistake on the vaccine card.

DH had the wrong birth YEAR written on his card, didn't notice it until we got home after the first shot. Asked them about it when we went for the 2nd shot, they just said scratch it out and write in the correct date. ARGH. Did it but still worried. Tried to contact the Health Department, no one ever got back to me. Managed to find info online through a link on the local TV website, so I've printed that to bring with us, too.

SIL also had the wrong DAY on her card. Same thing, scratch it out and write in the correct one. Hoping everything goes well, we sail on Saturday (as long as the tests we've scheduled for tomorrow come back negative).

Best wishes and best of luck!

There seems to be consistency challenges with the cards.  I completed both doses but do not have a signature for my second shot.  I have a concern if my completed card will be accepted.  I have sent my vaccination record to my insurance company (they currently do not have verification for my second injection) and hoping for some kind of digital confirmation.  I believe that may be helpful for backup and proof that I am fully vaccinated.  This is a bigger concern to me than the three day positive test requirement before cruising.

Edited by Mooregre

Don't know if this would help, but my primary care doctor noted my vaccination dates/info in my records. I am able to print off my vaccination record, which includes the covid vaccination. I have no idea if this would be an accepted alternative to the vac card, but I'm sure that many people will be facing the same issue as yours. 

I have volunteered at 21 vaccine clinics here in Washington, and my job was to make out the cards for people. Here in WA we do have a state vaccination data base, and primary care providers as well as the various county health departments have access to it, as well as to replacement cards. You may have more success having your PCP fill out a new card for you, if that's possible in your state.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IslandThyme said:

I have volunteered at 21 vaccine clinics here in Washington, and my job was to make out the cards for people. Here in WA we do have a state vaccination data base, and primary care providers as well as the various county health departments have access to it, as well as to replacement cards. You may have more success having your PCP fill out a new card for you, if that's possible in your state.

That's actually a really good idea.

When we needed a lot of vaccines for extended travel in Thailand, we took our old vaccination cards to a county health facility and they gave us all necessary new shots and entered our full immunization records, including the ones from our old cards, into the California database.  

A personal physician might be able to do this, but I think a visit to a County health department facility in California would certainly pull everything together for the OP.

11 hours ago, Djptcp said:

We discovered that my husband put his shortened name (like Bill not William, not his name) on his CDC card. We just returned from a Carnival cruise and a few weeks before that I was concerned because the Carnival protocols said the name on the CDC card had to match exactly the name on the cruise booking. I contacted our county health dept. who had provided our 2 Moderna vaccinations in January and they printed out and sent me our Florida State Health Dept. Shots database vaccination records. They had his correct full first name as it appeared on the Carnival booking.

I brought our CDC cards and the FL Shots database vaccination records with  me to embarkation last week. The  person doing check in looked at both CDC cards and didn't mention his names were different. So, I was ready to prove his full name was on the official state database, but ended up not having to do it.

However, with 7 more Holland America and Carnival cruises booked over the next 16 months, you can be sure I will be ready with both the CDC cards and the FL Shots database records just in case the check in people scrutinize the CDC cards more carefully.

I’m from FL also.  Can you tell me how you obtained the FL Shots database record?  Our vaccine cards are fine, but with all the fake ones out there, extra proof might someday be helpful.  Thank you.

• Like 1

Arizonatoflorida, I called our Polk County Health Dept. and someone there printed out our vaccination records from the Florida Shots database and emailed them to me, which I then printed out and brought with me to the cruise. Carnival protocols stated that what they will accept are the original CDC cards, copies from personal physician records, copies from the state vaccination records (which we had). I forgot to mention that the reason I called the county health dept. in the first place was because we discovered our second Moderna shot was not listed in the FL Shots database. Then we discovered that DH had not used his real name on his CDC card. The protocols also say that passengers should bring contact information (name, phone number, email) of the vaccination records holder and in our case, the county health dept. staff. I had that with me, also.

According to the Washington State Dept of Health website, "You can get official, verified proof of your COVID-19 vaccination online, for free. The MyIR website is an official state pathway to access proof of vaccination in Washington state. To get your copy, visit MyIRMobile to sign up for free."

The following states participate in this...

Arizona, DC, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Dakota, Puerto Rico, Tennessee, Washington, West Virginia, & SAFE (whatever that is.)

It correctly shows both of my doses, "Vaccine Type", "Date Received", and "manufacturer, Lot Number"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, ShipWalker said:

According to the Washington State Dept of Health website, "You can get official, verified proof of your COVID-19 vaccination online, for free. The MyIR website is an official state pathway to access proof of vaccination in Washington state. To get your copy, visit MyIRMobile to sign up for free."

The following states participate in this...

Arizona, DC, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Dakota, Puerto Rico, Tennessee, Washington, West Virginia, & SAFE (whatever that is.)

It correctly shows both of my doses, "Vaccine Type", "Date Received", and "manufacturer, Lot Number"

Is HAL accepting MyIR at the pier?

My understanding is that they want the original CDC card.

Following this topic.  My husband lost his CDC card.  I have printed docs from the MyIR site and also registered for the app.  My husband has a copy of his card and although not acceptable for boarding I hope the docs from MyIR and the copy of the CDC card will permit boarding.

1 hour ago, Djptcp said:

Arizonatoflorida, I called our Polk County Health Dept. and someone there printed out our vaccination records from the Florida Shots database and emailed them to me, which I then printed out and brought with me to the cruise. Carnival protocols stated that what they will accept are the original CDC cards, copies from personal physician records, copies from the state vaccination records (which we had). I forgot to mention that the reason I called the county health dept. in the first place was because we discovered our second Moderna shot was not listed in the FL Shots database. Then we discovered that DH had not used his real name on his CDC card. The protocols also say that passengers should bring contact information (name, phone number, email) of the vaccination records holder and in our case, the county health dept. staff. I had that with me, also.

Thank you for your response.  I called our county health department (Hillsborough County).  We must go to the Immunization Office (downtown Tampa) with ID to obtain a printed copy.  But at least I know how to get one now.

2 hours ago, Djptcp said:

Thank you for this most helpful info.  By "exact name" as booked, does that mean that middle initial or the lack thereof, will jinx the whole process?  I assume that our shots records will contain DOB or something equally definitive?

I had this issue. All my medical records are in my married name. But all of my ID is in my preferred maiden name. So my first two Moderna shots were under my married "medical" name.  I was worried about not having a record in the name I use for cruising, my passport and driver's license. 

I actually went and got a J&J shot in June in my ID name. So in essence I was forced to kind of get a booster. I don't worry about the effects of the third shot and now I can cruise in my passport name. I wouldn't normally do this kind of thing, but now I am glad I did it.

HAL on their website states,  Travel Well

"BRING REQUIRED PROOF OF COVID-19 VACCINATION
Bring proof of COVID-19 vaccination to the cruise terminal. Acceptable proofs of full vaccination include: COVID-19 vaccination card (original card only; no photocopies accepted); digital COVID-19 certificate (QR code acceptable); or record of COVID-19 vaccination from a healthcare provider including original digital email notification, personal electronic health record, or government Immunization information system (IIS) record."

I've just spoken with someone at the Washington State Dept of Health about the MyIRmobile site.

According to the WA DOH the MyIR certificate is considered an ISS record as the information provided comes directly from the State database.

Still need verification from HAL on their part.

Edited by ShipWalker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Whatever happened to independent “vaccine passports”. I wish there was one that Hal would accept.  I thought there were companies that will “verify” your vaccination status and provide a QR code!   Already thinking that we’re going to cancel our February Princess cruise.  I want to see how this one goes in November. Also interested in hearing about (COVID testing experiences) in San Diego once HAL starts there.

1 hour ago, sprinkles said:

Whatever happened to independent “vaccine passports”. I wish there was one that Hal would accept.  I thought there were companies that will “verify” your vaccination status and provide a QR code!   Already thinking that we’re going to cancel our February Princess cruise.  I want to see how this one goes in November. Also interested in hearing about (COVID testing experiences) in San Diego once HAL starts there.

I am under the impression that the facility/agency which administered the vaccine to you needs to create an account with the private companies.  It probably will cost them a pretty penny.