The Daily for Wednesday September 01, 2021

richwmn

Today is National Cherry Popover Day, World Letter Writing Day, and American Chess Day

I'm for whatever gets you through the night. - Frank Sinatra

Meal suggestion for today - Classic Lasagna

Drink of the Day - Flirtini

Wine of the day - Wittmann 2018 100 Hills Dry Pinot Blanc (Rheinhessen) Germany

Destination of the Day - Cross International Dateline

Ships with Passengers

Argostoli, Greece
Eurodam 09:00 - 19:00

Sitka, AK
Nieuw Amsterdam 08:00 - 17:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Adriatic Sea
Rotterdam Destination Ijmuiden NL eta 9/10

At Sea North SEa
Oosterdam Destinaation Ijmuiden NL eta 9/3

At Sea Pacific
Noordam Destination Ensendada MX eta 9/3

Augusta IT
Volendam

Corfu GR
Zaandam

Ensenada MX
Zuiderdam

Long Beach
Koningsdam Anchorage

Puerto Vallarta MX
Westerdam Anchorage

Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

0901NAmerica.thumb.png.715d6f3470331ebd339b889525955e9d.png

0901Europe.thumb.png.cbdb92bcb5ae8aff7e5cc70dc6b7868b.png

• Like 32
  • Thanks 7

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Rabbit rabbit rabbit.

Welcome September, I hope you are a good month.🤞

Interesting collection of days.  I haven't written a letter in months, nor have I received one.  I'm not good at chess.  A cherry popover sounds delicious.

Good quote.

The dinner suggestion sounds good, but not tonight.  Hope the wine and drink of the day are tasty too.

I've never cross the International Date Line, looking forward to seeing pictures of the celebration.

Prayers to everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 21

Thank you for the first Daily of this September, Rich.  A great selection of days although I was never good about writing letters.  Love Cherry Popovers, also never good at chess.  Today's destination is not very scenic and I've been there a number of times but only once on a BHB.  I like the Sinatra quote and the lasagna sounds great.  Today we get the remnants of Ida; lots of rain and possible severe thunderstorms.

Today’s care list:

RIP Surfside lifeguard Keith Pinto
Welfare of furloughed crews
Western (Especially BC) wildfires
cat shepard’s friend undergoing chemo for stage four cancer
Those left behind in Afghanistan
New Zealand continuing outbreak
JAM37 DH fighting Covid
Those in the wake of Ida, victims and rescuers
Cruisin single awaiting mamogram clarification
NextOne DDIL with long haul Covid
From the rotation:

Tana continuing to deal with long haul covid
Scout Jamie C recovering from major surgery

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Welcome aboard boze9999
2 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
3 Days for Atexsix, dobiemom, and Lafnvegas
Welcome home Aliascihief
Tioga Cruiser on a road trip
msmayor’s New Orleans friend ok
StLouisCruiser’s neighbor Brenda feeling better
Upsells for Dfish, Cruising-along and Ancient Wanderer
World Central Kitchieen
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 31
  • Thanks 6

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Hump Day smile 🙂 

Interesting collection of days.  Loved chess in my younger days and yes, I still write letters.

Love that quote by Frank Sinatra

Crossing the international dateline is a fun event on a BHB, for sure 🙂 

The robo calls are in full momentum with the Canadian election and I am sick & tired of them.

BA41A030-9EA5-49EC-9DC6-4BBC72E1FEDB.jpeg.08b6e2a0e5c31c0607ec8559d11687bc.jpeg

I’m a little weary with my company, cooking and entertaining but it was so nice to see my sister and BIL after 2 long years.  I have no idea what will be for dinner tonight but it will be something easy, I think.  Or leftovers.  And wine 🙂 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Wednesday everyone!!!

709750C4-03C5-4401-9522-0327D5F59C94.thumb.jpeg.f97ef3af751a81c901dcdd3880df6716.jpeg

Stay safe and please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 38

19 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Today is National Cherry Popover Day, World Letter Writing Day, and American Chess Day

I'm for whatever gets you through the night. - Frank Sinatra

Meal suggestion for today - Classic Lasagna

Drink of the Day - Flirtini

Wine of the day - Wittmann 2018 100 Hills Dry Pinot Blanc (Rheinhessen) Germany

Destination of the Day - Cross International Dateline

Good morning everyone and thanks for today’s daily report.  I would love a cherry popover right now.  I have a high school friend that I may pen a letter to today.  Happy chess day to all you players.  Sleep gets me through the night.  Lasagna sounds great for dinner.  I have not crossed the international date line, yet.  Prayers to everyone on our prayer list today and cheers to everyone celebrating a happy event today, like packing for your upcoming cruise!

• Like 23

Good morning all!

Wouldn't really celebrate Cherry Popover Day - not a fan of that stone fruit.  Still have fond memories of hand-written letters both sent and received as a child with 'pen pals' from far away lands.  Learned to play chess as a kid too, but never to the skillful level as some.  

Lasagna would be a perfect meal for what will be a cool and dreary day here in NJ.  They predict my area is far enough east that our rainfall totals may reach just 1-2 inches; those further west are facing 6 or more.  Curious to see what is in the Flirtini - if it's fruity flavored, I might need to seek one out.

The cruise my husband and I have planned as our 'Welcome Back' in March 2022 is going to be cancelled.  I have known for a few weeks that it was going to need re-scheduling, but only in part due to the continuing fluid nature of what cruising is right now (I don't mind the masking, and for us the ship is the destination so movement in/around ports isn't a big deal...the testing part is a new twist though).  Truthfully, even if cruising was moving much closer to normal we'd still be rescheduling because....

We found out (and can now share the news) that we are going to be grandparents for the first time!  Our daughter and her husband are expecting, with arrival of the their first child right around the date of the cruise in March.  There's nothing that will keep us away from that event, so we'll delay our return to cruising a bit longer so we can celebrate this milestone.  

I will call HAL soon to release the booking - 11 nights on Nieuw Statendam in one of the double-wide verandahs on deck 4 aft - and have my future cruise deposit put back in our account to find another trip down the road to take.

Hope everyone has a good day today!!

• Like 34

Good morning everyone, and thanks for the Daily Report and Cares Report. Happy 1st Day of a new month! Crossed the International Dateline for the first time on April 26, 1972. I can still remember the raucous ceremony!

Last night we had a Tornado Warning from a sighted tornado running the Western Ridge of the Blue Mountains. Thankfully it didn't touchdown. Stay safe for those still in the remnants of Ida!

20210901_072828.thumb.jpg.63b30766379244c6e71e86c9c9e7ea56.jpg

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Thunder and lightning woke me at 4:30am this morning.  Looks like we will have an interesting day in MD with the remnants of Hurricane Ida.  Sand Bags are being distributed in parts of Baltimore City and Annapolis due to the threat of flooding.  

Stay Safe!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, msmayor said:

We found out (and can now share the news) that we are going to be grandparents for the first time!  Our daughter and her husband are expecting, with arrival of the their first child right around the date of the cruise in March.  There's nothing that will keep us away from that event, so we'll delay our return to cruising a bit longer so we can celebrate this milestone.  

What exciting news!  Best wishes to all!

• Like 13

Good  morning  to  all. We  have  a  fair  amount  of  rain  here  and  the  cell  phone  warns  of  flash  flooding possibilities. I  would  love  a  popover  of  any  type  and  wish  I  were  a  better  chess  player.It  has  been  a long  time  since  I  wrote  a  letter.

Lasagna  in  all  its' possible  variations is  very  popular  here  but I  am  tired  and  need  to  come  up  with  something  easy. Yesterday  felt  like  a  long  day  and  it  left  me  with  another unsettled,minimal sleep  night.

@erewhon, yesterday  was  for   the  PT  evaluation which  lasted  for  about  90  minutes. It  is  expected  that  each  session  will  last for  about  that  time  as  well as  numerous  rest  periods  and  vital  sign  monitoring  are  required. Thanks  for  asking.

Due  to  covid  rules, I  could  not  go  inside  the Out  Patient  Department so  I  waited  under  a  nice  shady  oak  tree  while Tana  was  being  treated. She is  one  of  many  long  term  covid  patients there and  they  were  also  concerned  about  her  Pulmonary  Fibrosis  diagnosis  causing  further  problems. I   think  she  was  dismayed to  see  her  oxygen  levels  go  down  with any  activity . She remains  on  oxygen   for  now.  Treatment  will  consist  of  various  exercises   and  some  of  the  machines  when  she  is  feeling  and  doing  better. She  was  able  to walk  only 25  feet  before having  to  stop  due  to  shortness   of  breath. However,  she  met  people  there  who  were  only  able  to  stand  before  their  oxygen  needs overrode  the  activity. She  is  a  nurse  and  knows  this  all  intellectually  but  the  reality  of  the  situation  requires  acceptance-much  easier  said  than  done.

Sorry  to  be  so chatty. I  found  the  experience  fraught  with  emotion  and  so  did  she.  We  had  a  good  laugh  driving  home  when  I  told  her  she  was  a  "captive"  in  my  car.  She  managed  to  tell  me  that  PT's  are  really  bossy. Well  of  course  they are-they  need  to motivate,teach and  just "be  there"  for  their  patients......It  is  a  partnership.

Terry

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, msmayor said:

How exciting for you 🙂. Congratulations!

• Like 14

Good morning, everyone!  

It was an early morning for me.  I woke up at 5 and couldn't get back to sleep.  I made myself stay in bed until 5:45 and then got up and put the coffee on.  

@msmayor  Congratulations on the announcement of your first grandchild.  While  you have some time to wait, that will be fun time.  

@kazu  I really liked the meme about don't count your days.  We tend to do that and I bet we wish an awful lot of our life away.  

So, to make today count, Tim is coming over to take out the bottom shelf of my kitchen cabinets and then I will go to the hardware store to buy lumber to replace it.  The one in there was warped and everything I kept in there slid to the middle and it was a mess!   Of course, now it is all up on the counter.  I need to get that project done!

Today's meal is a favorite.  Who doesn't like lasagna?   And, if you want an easy lasagna fix, just use prego.  

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1019042-classic-lasagna

In case that is behind a pay wall:   https://www.thewholesomedish.com/the-best-classic-lasagna/

1827222069_Classiclasagna.thumb.jpg.099a36d4b9fbe0c438936ef821d4b45e.jpg

1195225406_Best-Classic-Lasagna-600-x-900(1).thumb.jpg.cd05b57f3f73c9c439fb2cf63a202e06.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 4

Thank you Rich for creating today's daily.

Thank you Roy for the care reports and celebrations.

Some nice days today.

I love 🍒 cherries in various formats like in yogurt,pies or just as they are.

It is 50 years since I last played chess.

I think CC in a way helps our letter writing.

Great quote today.

Lasagna is a regular meal for me.

Nice drink choice.

We have never crossed the date line and Hawaii is the furthest West we have been.

I hope everyone has a nice day.

Graham.

Screenshot_20210901_125742.jpg

• Like 28

Happy Wednesday.  Cherry popover's sound really good this morning.  I never learned Chess, and I send out cards/letters weekly.  The Sinatra quote is good as is the meal.  Thank you @dfishfor the recipe, Rich for the daily, and Roy for the care/celebration lists. @cat shepardfor the wine descriptions.  @msmayorcongratulation on the coming grandchild. 

Rabbit, rabbit, rabbit.

Prayers and shoutouts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Flirtini:

Ingredients
1/2 oz vodka
1/2 oz Cointreau or Triple Sec
1 oz pineapple juice
3 oz champagne
1 maraschino cherry, for garnish

Steps
1 Pour the vodka, Cointreau, and juice into an ice-filled mixing glass. Stir.
2 Strain into a chilled martini glass.
3 Top with the champagne.
4 Garnish with the maraschino cherry.

Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 8.09.08 AM.png

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 4

46 minutes ago, msmayor said:

Good morning all!

Wouldn't really celebrate Cherry Popover Day - not a fan of that stone fruit.  Still have fond memories of hand-written letters both sent and received as a child with 'pen pals' from far away lands.  Learned to play chess as a kid too, but never to the skillful level as some.  

Lasagna would be a perfect meal for what will be a cool and dreary day here in NJ.  They predict my area is far enough east that our rainfall totals may reach just 1-2 inches; those further west are facing 6 or more.  Curious to see what is in the Flirtini - if it's fruity flavored, I might need to seek one out.

The cruise my husband and I have planned as our 'Welcome Back' in March 2022 is going to be cancelled.  I have known for a few weeks that it was going to need re-scheduling, but only in part due to the continuing fluid nature of what cruising is right now (I don't mind the masking, and for us the ship is the destination so movement in/around ports isn't a big deal...the testing part is a new twist though).  Truthfully, even if cruising was moving much closer to normal we'd still be rescheduling because....

I will call HAL soon to release the booking - 11 nights on Nieuw Statendam in one of the double-wide verandahs on deck 4 aft - and have my future cruise deposit put back in our account to find another trip down the road to take.

Hope everyone has a good day today!!

Congratulations to your daughter and her husband and fantastic news you are going to be first time grandparents.

Graham.

• Like 13

Today's alternate menu selection features an soup and desert from the "Modern" page and entree from the "Classics".  

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2016/09/menu0901.pdf

It is Consume Double, Pink Roasted Veal Rack, and Apple Caramel Trifle, Caramelized Apples, Cinnamon Sabayon, and Vanilla Ice Cream as served on Crystal Serenity September 1, 2016.

The entree:

vealrack.jpg

and the desert:

trifle.jpg

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2