Web-based OCEAN READY coming this Fall

ProfMHC

16 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

No - it makes sense to have the same sort of application and functionality on Princess.com as in the MC App.  Makes no sense to go back to older features that are going to be incomplete and not compatible with MC App. 

As to whether it will be a debacle or not remains to be seen.  Hopefully by Nov (sooner in fact), MC App functionality will be much improved and working with most bugs fixed.

No way of knowing whether this enhancement (web checkin etc for those without devices) will be ln princess.com or on a separate and different website.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gilgod said:

Stand by to stand by.  So they will have to transition the MedallionClass app from Android and iOS operating systems to MacOS, Windows, and/or Linux operating systems.  Good luck with that.

Job security for those charged with making this happem.

• 1 month later...

I am curious what errors you all are getting and if they are like mine.  I can log into app but if I try to "Link a Booking", it comes back and says "no booking number found".  It doesn't matter which booking number I use (we have about 7 cruises booked), it always comes back the same.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app multiple times, no luck.

So frustrating!

47 minutes ago, mar2352 said:

I am curious what errors you all are getting and if they are like mine.  I can log into app but if I try to "Link a Booking", it comes back and says "no booking number found".  It doesn't matter which booking number I use (we have about 7 cruises booked), it always comes back the same.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app multiple times, no luck.

So frustrating!

I have not seen this issue.  I would suggest checking your profile and see if all info is correct.  Also, do you have same login ID and Pswd for Princess.com and the MC App?

On Royal, which we were on in September, I checked in on line, and it transferred to the app seamlessly. The only thing I had to do on the app was the health form the day before the cruise. If I didn't have the app, it could be completed at the port. The same with pics. I didn't take them, and it was done at the port.

2 hours ago, mar2352 said:

So frustrating!

We are having a similar issue and I have made numerous calls. One of the last ones the woman finally got our January cruise to show on my App.   My husbands show 3 cruises which includes one that we moved from.  We can’t order medallions or upload any information.  Our new CVP has said she will help and has escalated the problems.  We have 3 couples sailing with us and one other person has the same problem.  Not a very good track record.  
I have been calling since August to an avail. Keeping my fingers crossed in the meantime. You are Not Alone 😎

On 9/9/2021 at 5:53 PM, mellon1 said:

I did the same thing, $1,300 later a new phone I didn't need or want!

$1300 for a smart phone is too much if you don't want a lot of features.  You can get a perfectly acceptable smart phone for < $400.  What you are getting for $1300 is a larger screen, more memory and a faster processor.  I doubt if Medallion needs that power.

Regardless, your point is well taken.  You shouldn't have to buy new phones just to cruise w Princess when there are lots of other cruise lines out there.  The line seems to have figured it out although given their Medallion track record, I have my doubts that they will be able to get past their Medallion fiasco.

DON

2 hours ago, donaldsc said:

$1300 for a smart phone is too much if you don't want a lot of features.  You can get a perfectly acceptable smart phone for < $400.  What you are getting for $1300 is a larger screen, more memory and a faster processor.  I doubt if Medallion needs that power.

Regardless, your point is well taken.  You shouldn't have to buy new phones just to cruise w Princess when there are lots of other cruise lines out there.  The line seems to have figured it out although given their Medallion track record, I have my doubts that they will be able to get past their Medallion fiasco.

DON

Well, of course, they did not tell me that at Verizon!  LOL.  Unfortunately, we canceled our trip as our doctor said numbers are growing and not a good situation.  I am very sad to say the least; however, it is not worth being one of the numbers.

4 hours ago, donaldsc said:

2 hours ago, mellon1 said:

Well, of course, they did not tell me that at Verizon!  LOL.  Unfortunately, we canceled our trip as our doctor said numbers are growing and not a good situation.  I am very sad to say the least; however, it is not worth being one of the numbers.

I can't imagine paying that much for a phone. Must be an iPhone. Also, one should never purchase a phone from Verizon. I always get mine at Costco. My current phone is a Samsung S10e - the baby brother off the S10. (I wanted the 128 GB version but they were out of and I didn't want to wait so got the 256 GB version.) At that time, Verizon  wanted something like $800 for the phone. Stupid since I'm a long time customer. I got the same phone at Costco for just over $400. This has been the case with my last few phones. Verizon has horrible prices.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mar2352 said:

So frustrating!

My understanding "Link a Booking" is so you can link to a booking of friends on the same voyage so one person can coordinate things like dining reservations.

On 9/10/2021 at 11:22 AM, greenie082756 said:

Well I just think they went about this backwards. Should of updated and improved the online Personalizer and then worked on all the sections of the Medallion Class.

Even though we were all aware of what the Medallion would / could possible do to your experience in cruising, I don't think we were expecting these changes.

Lets hope that those that do not want to deal with the app on their phone will be happier once the personalizer goes back to what it was.

There was no reason for the Medallion Class app.  All they had to do was enhance the web based Personalizer with any new features and add a suitable mobile CSS (cascading style sheets). They also need to make the web based Personalizer use web standards instead of some of the bizarre Google Chrome experimental extensions they use.

1 hour ago, brisalta said:

My understanding "Link a Booking" is so you can link to a booking of friends on the same voyage so one person can coordinate things like dining reservations.

No.... Link My Booking is a feature on the left panel (pops out when you tap on your photo at top left) where your voyages are listed and you tap on the + (plus) sign to add another voyage.  Thing is that the system should pick up any new bookings automatically from POLAR.

What you mentioned is adding Travel Companions for linking up dining or other activities they may add.

22 hours ago, Dar &amp; Bob said:

We are having a similar issue and I have made numerous calls. One of the last ones the woman finally got our January cruise to show on my App.   My husbands show 3 cruises which includes one that we moved from.  We can’t order medallions or upload any information.  Our new CVP has said she will help and has escalated the problems.  We have 3 couples sailing with us and one other person has the same problem.  Not a very good track record.  
I have been calling since August to an avail. Keeping my fingers crossed in the meantime. You are Not Alone 😎

I have been calling since July, always the same answer - call back at end of month. Mine has been "escalated" but they say it goes in order from time to cruise. My Princess TA can't get it to work either because they have to use the same app to do it as well. Thank god the ship will be only 50% full so dining shouldn't be a problem. But now we have to get our medallions and boarding passes at the port. One thing I am worried about is since Medallion/OceanReady doesn't work does that mean we can't use Wi-Fi on board. If so, I will be looking for a refund on that portion of our fare.

14 hours ago, Thrak said:

I can't imagine paying that much for a phone. Must be an iPhone. Also, one should never purchase a phone from Verizon. I always get mine at Costco. My current phone is a Samsung S10e - the baby brother off the S10. (I wanted the 128 GB version but they were out of and I didn't want to wait so got the 256 GB version.) At that time, Verizon  wanted something like $800 for the phone. Stupid since I'm a long time customer. I got the same phone at Costco for just over $400. This has been the case with my last few phones. Verizon has horrible prices.

I wish I would have asked on CC about what phone and where to buy!  Who would have thought.  I swear you guys know everything about everything.  Well, now I feel violated after $1300, plus the extra things I had to get for the phone.  I needed the big one as I cannot see upclose without glasses and didn't want to put my readers on all the time.  LOL.    Well, next time I will know.  I hate the phone by the way.  So does my husband.  I haven't even told many people I have it because I don't want all the texts so many think I still have the old flip phone!

• Like 2

On 9/9/2021 at 8:07 PM, ProfMHC said:

Saw this on Facebook this evening: 

D941A710-0F7F-4C54-B758-284F11CA8465.jpeg.143dbfca0093b1460ccc7e84420056e7.jpeg

"For clients who don't have smartphone" [sic]

I really think this is insulting and dismissive of all the people who have spent endless hours trying to get the app to work for them.

The issue isn't that some folks don't have a smartphone, but rather that the app doesn't work a lot of the time.

Even people with phones find the app works one day, and not the next.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

"For clients who don't have smartphone" [sic]

I really think this is insulting and dismissive of all the people who have spent endless hours trying to get the app to work for them.

The issue isn't that some folks don't have a smartphone, but rather that the app doesn't work a lot of the time.

Even people with phones find the app works one day, and not the next.

Yes, insulting and then some.

But putting the onus on pax who don't have compatible devices creates the appearance that all is well with the program ... saves developers and managers admitting to an epic debacle. 

No accountability ... it's YOUR fault.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mar2352 said:

One thing I am worried about is since Medallion/OceanReady doesn't work does that mean we can't use Wi-Fi on board. If so, I will be looking for a refund on that portion of our fare.

As long as your device has wireless internet connectivity, you will be able to connect to ship's wifi and access the internet.  The Princess MC App works on board using the ship's intranet (also over wifi) and doesn't require internet connection.  You will find that on-board features work much better than the pre-cruise features that are buggy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ProfMHC said:

It was posted by John Chernesky during one of his videos for TAs. It has since been amended to a November start.

And one should not be surprised if the next amendment is December, followed by January and so on.

Did anyone really expect it to be up and working by the date they indicated?

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Did anyone really expect it to be up and working by the date they indicated?

Doubtful that they'll meet the exact date, but I am now actually hopeful that they can come pretty close. The fact that they're doing the web version at all indicates that there has been a complete 180 degree reversal of their corporate policy, undoubtedly made against the violent objections of the beancounters. They've also hired an entire group of what they're calling 'Medallion Class Brand Ambassadors'; one cruiser reported that she spoke to two of them onboard, and they went through in detail the problems she was having with the app and promised to address them. It does appear that they now realize how disastrous the original app-only decision was, and are willing to spend a fairly significant amount of $ to deal with the problems it created. There's certainly no guarantee they'll be able to solve them, but at least they're trying. We'll have to see if they can succeed - ask me again after the web version is actually released.  

Edited by barrykel