Porters in Europe: Tip or no?

nyc2pdx

Since it isn't customary to tip in most of Europe, do you tip the porters at the pier when boarding at a European embarkation city?

I don't want to create a huge thread about tipping, but I think most people in the US tip the porter $1-$2/bag at the pier when you hand over your luggage.  I was curious if the same custom exists abroad.  I don't believe the porters are employees of NCL (correct me if I am wrong).

I’ve never tipped a porter at a European port. Many times it would be a struggle to do so. As soon as your bags are out of the taxi they grab them and are off. There is no hanging around for a tip before they move away.

I’m sure that a tip would be appreciated, but it isn’t expected.

• Like 2

while tipping in many parts of europe is not the norm, there are exceptions. and those exceptions pretty much pertain to big cities... and the hospitality industry. cruise ship embarkation generally falls into both of those categories.

i'd be shocked if the porters didn't expect a tip. and many passengers might argue that the porters deserve a tip. and they'd be right, in my opinion.

one or two dollars (or local equivalent) is not adequate in my view. five dollars a bag sounds right, although you might be able to get away with ten bucks for three bags.

Edited by UKstages
  • Like 1

It's really simple, in Europe tipping IS expected but just not on a huge scale as in the us, $5 is a reasonable tip for most things, be it the porters or for a modest meal.

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Like 1

sorry, this shouldnt even be an issue. the porters bust their butts, there are a few thousand people dropping off their respective pieces of luggage, and it's the responsibility of the porters to make sure all these pieces get on board and to get where they need to be.

cough up a $10. dont you tip the skycap at the airport when you drop off your luggage? 

In the UK (Southampton, Harwich anyway) your cases are whisked away as soon as you arrive, it has never occurred to me to tip the porters and I’m fairly sure they don’t expect one, and would probably be surprised to get one. I don’t think I’ve tipped in other European ports either, the port staff never hang around for one, but I’m sure they wouldn’t refuse one.

For our last 2 cruises the cases have been taken directly from the airport in a separate truck, to be sanitised and delivered to our stateroom, so no porter interaction anyway.

• Like 1

It does not matter if it’s obligatory or not, just do it ($5.00 per bag is sufficient), as it will be appreciated and remember “what goes around…..”

As a good deed, you’ll discover you will get it back, with interest, in other ways.  Somebody up there is taking stock.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Get it back

13 hours ago, complawyer said:

sorry, this shouldnt even be an issue. the porters bust their butts, there are a few thousand people dropping off their respective pieces of luggage, and it's the responsibility of the porters to make sure all these pieces get on board and to get where they need to be.

cough up a $10. dont you tip the skycap at the airport when you drop off your 

Do you really tip everyone with a tough job? Nurses, teachers, policemen (or policewomen), firefighters etc.? If not, why are the porters different?

In most countries in Europe their salary is not based on them being given a lots of tip so they are already paid to do the job. Will they be happy to get more money? Of course, why shouldn't they?

People can tip if they want but it's absolutely not necessary. 

Edited by sverigecruiser
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, complawyer said:

cough up a $10. dont you tip the skycap at the airport when you drop off your luggage? 

Bust their butts?  They take your luggage and put on a cart that is then put on the boat via a forklift.  It's their job for which they make a better than average wage.  Chances are they have a greater annual wage than many of the passengers on the ship.  I never tip a Stevedore.

Edited by Oakman58
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Notts1964 said:

In the UK (Southampton, Harwich anyway) your cases are whisked away as soon as you arrive, it has never occurred to me to tip the porters and I’m fairly sure they don’t expect one, and would probably be surprised to get one. I don’t think I’ve tipped in other European ports either, the port staff never hang around for one, but I’m sure they wouldn’t refuse one.

For our last 2 cruises the cases have been taken directly from the airport in a separate truck, to be sanitised and delivered to our stateroom, so no porter interaction anyway.

That is the way it was in Rome a few weeks ago. You get into the terminal, they send you straight to the testers. The porters are right next to the testers in the terminal, give them your bags and straight to the test.

Thanks all.  I don't usually use airport porters, but do tip the porters at the pier.  No doubt they work hard and fast.  I didn't want to get into a 'tip' discussion, but rather just what people do in areas where tipping is not the norm like it is in the US.  I'll certainly tip them in Rome.  

oakman58 

meanwhile if you dont think loading 1000's of pieces of luggage and taking them onto the ship is not b**l busting, by all means dont tip. are you really saying that after paying 1000's of dollars for a cruise, (airfare, hotel if you arrive early, cab fare to the ship etc) you cant pop for an extra $10.and sverigecruiser, the porters are doing you a personal service by taking your luggage. your analogy to cops, nurses, teachers etc. is not applicable. tell me you dont tip waiters, waitresses, cab drivers, bell people etc. they're the ones that should be tipped.

hopefully, we'll be on a cruise from stockholm next august. if the service workers that help me get upset that i'm not tipping, i'll tell them to contact you

15 minutes ago, complawyer said:

tell me you dont tip waiters, waitresses, cab drivers, bell people etc. they're the ones that should be tipped.

I can tell you that I don't tip thoose people in Sweden because their salary is not based on them getting tip. They are already paid to do their job.

When in the US I tip thoose people but the question was not about the US so that is not relevant.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Notts1964 said:

Yes, exactly.

In places like Barcelona, it isn't that I make a conscious decision not to tip the porter. I never actually see them because by the time I have paid the taxi driver my bags are gone and the porter has long gone.