WhAt is available to passenger in ordinary staterooms on Edge?

Larwos

We love the Solstice class ships, and have been happy to continue sailing on those and the Millenium Class ships, seeing Edge as catering to suites and less for we ordinary passengers. 

Edge is now coming to Australia, and I was thinking we may give it a go. If you’ve sailed on Edge in a verandah stateroom and are Elite, can you tell me what’s missing and what’s good for our class?  I believe Sky lounge has been moved over to suites.  Has something replaced it?

I’m really interested in hearing your thought please. 

If you want a true veranda, book a Sunset Veranda..aft..larger cabin and large outdoor balc. We loved it!

Otherwise, it will most likely be an Infinite Veranda..which is an enclosed balcony  with a big window that goes up and down...not a real  outside balcony..It wasn't bad..adds more space but cabin space seemed tight.

You will likely have access to the 4 mdrs depending on how u arrange your dining. Nice included lunch cafe in EDEN  for bkfast and lunch and a nice buffet space.

You will have current Elite perks.

EDEN is the big beautiful space aft, theres also another Club abd a realky awesome theater..

Suite guests have their own private spaces.

ENJOY!

Edited by hcat

2 hours ago, Larwos said:

We love the Solstice class ships, and have been happy to continue sailing on those and the Millenium Class ships, seeing Edge as catering to suites and less for we ordinary passengers. 

Edge is now coming to Australia, and I was thinking we may give it a go. If you’ve sailed on Edge in a verandah stateroom and are Elite, can you tell me what’s missing and what’s good for our class?  I believe Sky lounge has been moved over to suites.  Has something replaced it?

IMO, the only reason that it seems that Edge caters more to suite passengers is that recently, especially since cruise lines began sailing again, most of the posts here on CruiseCritic are from suite passengers.   Nothing wrong with that other than it doesn't give a full description of ship life for the rest of us infinite verandah occupants. 

What I can tell you from personal experience is that I was on the Edge in an infinite verandah two years ago pre-Covid.  We loved the infinite verandah because it expanded the cabin size.  The bathroom was very nice.  The ship never felt crowded, we could always get a lounger by the pool, the food and service was very good and surprisingly the entertainment was also very good.  I'm not Elite so I can't help you with perks but I can tell you I never felt like I was traveling in steerage or a second class citizen. 

We have the Apex booked for a Mediterranean cruise for NEXT October.  If all goes well and Covid is under control I'll be thrilled to be able to cruise again in an infinite verandah.  

• Thanks 2

EDEN is awesome, has great aft views and a very nice bar.  Seats are a bit low to the ground. Truthfully we did not miss the Sky lounge..esp since it has been chopped up in some ships thus eliminatung the panoramic view.  There are rotating musicians night and day, parties, and   puzzles and other events during the day in EDEN.

"The Club"  is interior but has a great bar, lovely upper seating area , dance floor acrobatic type shows  and  live music at night and many daytime activities.

If you are an S Class fan much will differ in EDGE..some like it..some don't

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

The 4 MDRs are excellent.  Much nicer than the 1 huge 2 level MDR.  Each has it unique decor and special menu items.  Eden is lovely and is another option for breakfast or lunch, a place chill during the day, lots of entertainment in tge evening.  
We are on our 3rd cruise on the Edge we like it more with each cruise.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

The 4 MDRs are excellent.  Much nicer than the 1 huge 2 level MDR.  Each has it unique decor and special menu items.  Eden is lovely and is another option for breakfast or lunch, a place chill during the day, lots of entertainment in tge evening.  

If anyone sailed in an SV, did you find the music coming from Eden disturbing during late evening hours?

You won’t have access to Retreat or Luminae unless you are in a Suite, and you won’t have access to Blue unless you are in Aqua Class or a suite.  Otherwise you will have access to everywhere on the ship.

infinite “verandah” is not a verandah stateroom, just a room with a window that opens.

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

We don’t sail on Edge until 2024 but have booked a SV as we like a proper balcony. We’re looking forward to the four main dining rooms as well as Eden for daytime eats. Is the main dining room, any of them, open for breakfast and/or lunch as they are on S and M class?

8 hours ago, Larwos said:

Good lord, there is plenty to do on board, no matter which state room you are in, and I think you probably know that already.  Tired of the "steerage" and "ordinary" comments, because one chooses to book a Sky Suite, Penthouse, Iconic or whatever, it is a personal choice on how one decides to spend their money and what they feel gives them their best vacation value, no matter which room a person books. ALL passengers are catered to.  Enjoy your cruise, if you decide to book it. 

The IVs have some issues with the chief complaint being once the window is lowered the AC shuts off.  I booked an IV room this past July in the Caribbean and changed rooms to a "porthole" room which has a regular balcony and am glad I did since it was the peak of the humid summer.  Porthole rooms are usually the same cost as IVs but SV can be much more than IVs.

While there are 4 MDRs, only the Cosmo is open for three meals a day and the other three are dinner only.  They all share the same galley so you can order the "exclusive" items at any MDR.  Visiting different MDRs is just for a change of scenery.  Also remember that on X, you can call room service and have your MDR meals delivered for free (gratuity expected) which is a rarity for non-suite guests in other lines.

4 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

If anyone sailed in an SV, did you find the music coming from Eden disturbing during late evening hours?

Oceangoer2:  we sailed on Edge last month in an SV.  We sat out on the balcony every night just before going to bed, and never heard any music or noise from anywhere.  We were on deck 10 though, which we thought was a fantastic height where the sound of the wake wasn't overwhelming but was just a pleasant sound.

OP:  we loved the Edge and didn't find that it "catered to Suite guests" at the expense of anyone else.  Service was awesome, the 4 MDR concept was fantastic... so much so that we're hoping that we don't really miss it when we return to the 1 MDR on our Equinox cruise in Nov!

i will say though, as Elite, now with Always Included, we didn't find that there was much left of the Elite perks.  There was breakfast in Tuscan (one of the 4 MDRs) but that wasn't even listed on the list of Elite perks left in the cabin.  We def felt like those perks are being phased out.

As many others have said, Eden (both the restaurant and the bar) is also wonderful and we usually found ourselves there at some point in each day.

Would definitely recommend giving this beautiful ship a try!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jelayne said:

We just booked a SV on the Apex leaving Nov 13th. Unfortunately, due to our late booking we wound up with Traditional (Fixed) Dining at 6 pm and Waitlisted for Anytime dining. The shortfall as we see it with with Traditional Dining is that you get assigned to one of the 4 MDRs rather than being able to make reservations prior to sailing for a specific time at all 4 MDRs.

Here's my question if what I said above is true. Can you order from any of the 4 MDR menus, to include the entrees unique to a specific MDR, from the MDR you have been assigned?

5 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

In our middle deck 7 SV we did hear music from above...mostly in the space  next to the bthrm.. bed was by the balc so not a big disturbance but was heard.  Could also hear music from somewhere while out on the balc..also no big deal.

We were disturbed by the   neighbors next door who held nightly parties pre and post dinner for many of their pals.. Could happen anywhere...but was a bit annoying.

• Thanks 1