Vaccine requirement change-again!

fd851

So after a long absence, we decided to use the fccs and book something.  we went to our go to site, that can't be mentioned here.  they gave the option to filter cruises by those which require a vaccine and those that do not (not all of our travel companions are).  We narrowed it down to a couple that did not require it, shared the news and asked opinions.  Tonight, we went back to the site only to find that feature disabled and all RCCL cruises labeled as "vax required"  Thinking I had lost it, I reached out to the TA site.  They confirmed that about 2 hours ago, RCCl sent an email stating that vax would be required for all cruises from US.  I asked what would happen to the people who booked in the time that the vax was not required for some sailings.  Of course, the TA had no idea.  Just wanted anyone else who was questioning their sanity to know "it's not you!" it really changed.

Perhaps the site that can’t be mentioned had it wrong.  And Royal has been providing refunds to those who booked BEFORE protocols for their particular cruise were announced and are unable or unwilling to comply once the protocols were issued.  I would think your TA would know that.

Edited by poocher
  • Like 3

Since the beginning of Sept Royal has required vax for all cruises. Before Sept they required it for everywhere but Florida. 

All cruise lines now require vax. So either your friends need to get the shot or figure out another vacation. I don't think it's going away - NCL just announced that vax will be required indefinitely. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, poocher said:

Perhaps the site that can’t be mentioned had it wrong.  And Royal has been providing refunds to those who booked BEFORE protocols for their particular cruise were announced and are unable or unwilling to comply once the protocols were issued.  I would think your TA would know that.

If you could please, point me to a link on the RCI web site regarding this refund policy? I could not find it but admittedly did not spend a tremendous amount of time searching. TIA!

I am just going by posts here and on the “other” Royal blog.  If protocols for your cruise timeframe are issued and you are unable/unwilling to abide by them, you can call RCCL or your travel agent & request a full refund.  It has been said that this would also include a full refund of any FCC’s you may have used for payment.  I have no first hand knowledge of this nor do I know how long this pretty generous policy might continue.

7 minutes ago, joepeka said:

If you could please, point me to a link on the RCI web site regarding this refund policy? I could not find it but admittedly did not spend a tremendous amount of time searching. TIA!

They haven't posted it anywhere official. Likely because they don't want to. An executive mentioned it on a travel agent conference call a few months back and the news spread. For the most part I've seen people able to get refunds, but it being unofficial is probably so they can yank it when they want and so that if you don't know you just get FCC.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fd851 said:

So after a long absence, we decided to use the fccs and book something.  we went to our go to site, that can't be mentioned here.  they gave the option to filter cruises by those which require a vaccine and those that do not (not all of our travel companions are).  We narrowed it down to a couple that did not require it, shared the news and asked opinions.  Tonight, we went back to the site only to find that feature disabled and all RCCL cruises labeled as "vax required"  Thinking I had lost it, I reached out to the TA site.  They confirmed that about 2 hours ago, RCCl sent an email stating that vax would be required for all cruises from US.  I asked what would happen to the people who booked in the time that the vax was not required for some sailings.  Of course, the TA had no idea.  Just wanted anyone else who was questioning their sanity to know "it's not you!" it really changed.

It's probably a bad idea to rely on some ta site for vaccinated info. I do see sometimes a certain site labels cruises vaccinated  .. which doesnt mean the others are not. FAQ on rcl site is what you should rely on. If some ta said it changed a hour ago and sounds like baloney ... dont trust them again. Excuses .

A website that does something very much like what you described chose to advertise cruises assuming that once Nov. came along the vaccination requirements would change.  Their filters were configured to advertise Royal and MSC as not requiring a vax after a certain Nov. date.

That was explicitly that website choosing to advertise that way.  Neither MSC or Royal changed anything which put that company in the position of having sold cruises while misinforming their customers on vax requirements.  

This mistake is on that online travel company, not the cruise lines.    

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Marie51 said:

I was on a royal Caribbean cruise in August and there were passengers who were not  vaccinated. They even had a separate dining room among other things. 

Perhaps the "unvax'd" were traveling with kids that weren't vax'd and in that case, the entire family was considered unvax'd and had to follow protocols accordingly.

I've been cruising on RC since late Jun and vaccines have been required for all 12 and over.

So sorry you'd been misled or misinformed.

56 minutes ago, Marie51 said:

I was on a royal Caribbean cruise in August and there were passengers who were not  vaccinated. They even had a separate dining room among other things. 

Yes, that was for families with children under 12 that could not be vaxxed.  Everyone 12 and up must be vaxxed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marie51 said:

I was on Adventure in August.  Vaccines were required for everyone eligible to receive one. On Allure now, and there are areas that are open to unvaccinated guests as well.  But this is to accommodate those guests who have a verifiable reason for not being vaccinated.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JsMom2 said:

I was on Adventure in August.  Vaccines were required for everyone eligible to receive one. On Allure now, and there are areas that are open to unvaccinated guests as well.  But this is to accommodate those guests who have a verifiable reason for not being vaccinated.  

I am also on Allure. Pre-check in info was very clear “All guests 12 and older must provide proof of Covid vaccination”. 

• Like 1

On 11/8/2021 at 5:38 PM, smplybcause said:

They haven't posted it anywhere official. Likely because they don't want to. An executive mentioned it on a travel agent conference call a few months back and the news spread. For the most part I've seen people able to get refunds, but it being unofficial is probably so they can yank it when they want and so that if you don't know you just get FCC.

FWIW, I asked our TA to check into this for us and RCI told her that if a booking that was made prior to the protocols being established, and the booking was then changed/cancelled due to reluctance to comply with the protocols, the deposit will be held as FCC and not partially or totally forfeited (i.e. if booked non-refundable). 

Edited by joepeka

I have successfully cancelled 8 cruises using the "vaccine protocol" rules.  In addition to receiving full cash refunds for all of those cruises, I also was reimbursed for a number of FCC's that had been used to pay one of those cruise fares (total of ~$10K in FCC's).  So it is definitely doable.  I thank my awesome TA for getting all of these cruise fares refunded.

The "catch" to successfully using the vaccine protocol refund strategy is that in almost all cases you must first pay your cruise balance in full and THEN request a full refund once the vaccine protocols are published.  So unless you are willing to have your money tied up for a good while waiting for your refunds, this strategy may not work for you.  It has worked without incident for me but I have had a great deal of money at stake with each cancellation.  So far, no regrets.