Positive covid test today! Should I cancel?

Just had a PRC test, and came back positive for COVID.  I am fully vaccinated, and ironically got super sick the day I had scheduled my booster.  Sunday I had a fever, and felt like death, lost all sense of taste and smell.  Monday, felt fine but tired, had PCR test.  Tuesday today, came back positive.  

So my question is should I just cancel my cruise for  November 26th, or would I probably test negative by then on a rapid antigen test. 

I am sick about this, but need to plan ahead.  We are driving, not flying. Thanks

Wait until you have to?  Your home isolation would end in 10 days (the 19th).  That gives you a week to get another test.  You don't say how long it will take you to drive to the port - maybe get tested the day before you leave?

Just my own $0.02...      --bruce T.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Why panic and cancel now?  Your cruise is 17 days out and Royal will give you a refund if you test positive before the cruise.  Most vaccinated people are over Covid pretty quick,  I would probably plan to be past it and just test every few days until you are over it.  If you are still testing positive cruise week then you can center.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, AustinCruise said:

And check with your doctor if any other treatments are suggested. 

And keep an eye on anyone traveling with you that may have been exposed. 

This is a really important point. Do you live with/been close with someone going with you? That could be a problem.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My son (double vaccinated) tested positive on a PCR test a few days after symptoms started (and after 2 positive lateral flows). He tested negative on a lateral flow test a week later, before he was even out of isolation. I wouldn't cancel yet.

Edited by Bobal
  • Thanks 2

dont cancel unless you aren't feeling well 2 days prior and/or you still test positive.  It isn't fun feeling like crap on a cruise ship.  I was quarantined back in November 2018 on a transatlantic cruise with the flu and I felt lousy for a while after.  First cruise where I lost weight.  

Edited by jean87510
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all so much for your comments and suggestions.  The doctor said I am eligible for the monochronal anti bodies, so hope that will help. Haven't had a fever since 11/7, but am very tired and still can't smell or taste.  I am concerned about my husband, and him getting it. I need to be watchful on him.  We are separating as much as you possibly can in a 900sq ft. loft. (crazy, but I love it) 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

I would not cancel yet.

This ☝️ ☝️. You are vaccinated so my guess is that your symptoms won't last long. Get the COVID test needed prior to your cruise and see what those results are. My guess is that you will be fine. Positive thoughts! 🙏

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WindinmySails said:

The doctor said I am eligible for the monochronal anti bodies, so hope that will help.

I wouldn't cancel yet, but I'd ask your doctor if this treatment will not cause you to show positive even if you're healthy.

It happened to my friend, who received the above treatment, and continued to show positive at least 3 weeks after recovery 😢

I highly recommend the Regeneron shots since your physician says you are eligible.  Though my husband and I were both fully vaccinated (second shot in March), we tested positive in mid August and were sick for over two weeks.  Had the Regeneron shots and started to feel better immediately, and were recovered in a matter of days.  Less than three weeks after testing positive, my husband tested negative on the at home test, and I tested negative the next week, just in time for our mid September cruise.

So my advice is to focus on getting well, and test two days prior to your cruise.  Fingers crossed you will be recovered, test negative, and be able to enjoy your cruise.  

If you have to cancel, I think Royal will take good care of you. Royal was great with me and refunded everything, including our Royal Up charge, as I tested positive days before my Allure cruise. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WindinmySails said:

Thank you all so much for your comments and suggestions.  The doctor said I am eligible for the monochronal anti bodies, so hope that will help. Haven't had a fever since 11/7, but am very tired and still can't smell or taste.  I am concerned about my husband, and him getting it. I need to be watchful on him.  We are separating as much as you possibly can in a 900sq ft. loft. (crazy, but I love it) 

I got the antibody infusion and felt much better within a day. My smell and taste were not affected but I have read numerous reports that it takes a long time for that to return to normal. 

• Like 1

My wife had COVID last December, before there were Vaccinations.  She had only minor symptoms and tested negative after 12 Days.  I wouldn't cancel at this point, especially since you are vaccinated and getting the treatment, you SHOULD recover more quickly.  And I agree get an antigen test not a PCR pre-cruise.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, emdia43 said:

I got the antibody infusion and felt much better within a day. My smell and taste were not affected but I have read numerous reports that it takes a long time for that to return to normal. 

Well, if I do get to cruise, and I still can't taste, I guess I can still eat low cal and not break my diet.  So good to hear you recovered quickly!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kruzerci said:

Before the cruise take a rapid antigen test rather than a PCR. You will likely be able to pass an antigen test before your sail date but potentially not a PCR. 

Bad info. We took the PCR but were afraid the test wouldn’t make it back on time so we took the RAPID the next day which came back negative. We received our PCR test results the second day of the cruise and my wife came back positive. We did the right thing an reported to medical. My wife is in the COVID ward now and they are flying us home tomorrow. We are on A b2b so our vacation has been cancel. So why worry about a negative result from the RAPID and you got COVID. I wonder how many people on this ship with COVID but not know because they took the RAPID.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, WindinmySails said:

Well, if I do get to cruise, and I still can't taste, I guess I can still eat low cal and not break my diet.  So good to hear you recovered quickly!

Lack of taste and smell will make eating the current offerings in the WJ a lot easier.😇

• Haha 5

12 minutes ago, muscleman said:

Bad info. We took the PCR but were afraid the test wouldn’t make it back on time so we took the RAPID the next day which came back negative. We received our PCR test results the second day of the cruise and my wife came back positive. We did the right thing an reported to medical. My wife is in the COVID ward now and they are flying us home tomorrow. We are on A b2b so our vacation has been cancel. So why worry about a negative result from the RAPID and you got COVID. I wonder how many people on this ship with COVID but not know because they took the RAPID.

That is my concern about a PCR test for cruising....the time factor . We live in Denver and were going to drive to Galvaston and I do intend to get a PCR test before I leave Denver to make sure I am not infectious.  (my husband as well)  I hope your wife has a speedy recovery!