What to do with Medallion after cruise?

JAVERZ

We just returned from a cruise on the Ruby Princess.  Now I am wondering what to do with the Medallion.  Do you save it for another cruise?  Does it still store your  personal information on it?  Or is the personal information deleted when the cruise is over?  In other words, can anyone access data like credit card information, etc. that was entered into the Medallion App on your smart phone and was then available on the Medallion during the cruise?  Does anyone have any insight or experience with this issue?  Thanks.

The MC FAQ’s confirm what CineGraphic posted & ours are fridge magnets.

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ocean-medallion/ocean-faq/

Can someone access my personal information through my OceanMedallion™ device?
No, your Medallion device doesn’t store any personal information, so no need to worry if you lose it.

Edited by Astro Flyer

5 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

The medallion doesn’t store anything, and the battery inside of it will soon die. Use it as a fridge magnet, keepsake, or toss it in the bin.

They are not reusable in future cruises.

And if you are really worried, smash it w a hammer and then toss it out.

DON

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

The MC FAQ’s confirm what CineGraphic posted & ours are fridge magnets.

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ocean-medallion/ocean-faq/

Can someone access my personal information through my OceanMedallion™ device?
No, your Medallion device doesn’t store any personal information, so no need to worry if you lose it.

Given the level of competence Princess IT has demonstrated, do you totally believe them when they say this?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Given the level of competence Princess IT has demonstrated, do you totally believe them when they say this?

The medallion itself is really no different than the cruise card we have had for years.  If you are concerned about the medallion you can change out to a cruise card like you used to have. 

Personally, I wish Princess would collect them at the end of the cruise. It contains both a battery and electronics, so I can't simply throw it in the trash here - both must be recycled. I also have no intention of cracking the medallion open and disassemble it to make it safe to throw away. Princess should have a recycling program for the medallions. They're the ones who created them, and they should be responsible for the safe and proper disposal.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, shellbeachjim said:

Personally, I wish Princess would collect them at the end of the cruise. It contains both a battery and electronics, so I can't simply throw it in the trash here - both must be recycled. I also have no intention of cracking the medallion open and disassemble it to make it safe to throw away. Princess should have a recycling program for the medallions. They're the ones who created them, and they should be responsible for the safe and proper disposal.

I’ve been on a couple of medallion cruises in 2019-2020 and I’ve taken the medallion from the prior cruise on the next trip and left it in the room for them to deal with.  Of course I will always have one but I figure they can do the recycling (or not, lol).

19 minutes ago, t&atravel said:

I’ve been on a couple of medallion cruises in 2019-2020 and I’ve taken the medallion from the prior cruise on the next trip and left it in the room for them to deal with.  Of course I will always have one but I figure they can do the recycling (or not, lol).

Yes, but more than likely if you leave it behind they'll probably just throw it away. I guess I've been recycling so long that it's second nature - batteries in particular. Fortunately in California, it's easy to find someone to take old batteries. Hardware stores usually have a container near the door for this. E-waste is a little harder, but not that much.

11 hours ago, JAVERZ said:

We just returned from a cruise on the Ruby Princess.  Now I am wondering what to do with the Medallion.  Do you save it for another cruise?  Does it still store your  personal information on it?  Or is the personal information deleted when the cruise is over?  In other words, can anyone access data like credit card information, etc. that was entered into the Medallion App on your smart phone and was then available on the Medallion during the cruise?  Does anyone have any insight or experience with this issue?  Thanks.

I’m on a December Holiday cruise on the Ruby, I’m Elite, & if my new Medallion doesn’t have the Elite sticker on it I’ll peel off the sticker & apply it to the new one. 

Tom😀

13 hours ago, ontheweb said:

All that is on the Medallion is a reference number which is used by the on board computer system to link into the information the computer system has about you.

Much like a hotel room electronic key which also has just a reference number. No name. No credit card number. No personal info at all.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

There's always the next electronic and battery recycling event ... my community hosts them a couple times a year. 

Seems fitting, considering Princess' "green" push.

Yes, I was going to suggest this, as well. It's not a great idea to simply toss a device - even a small one like the medallion - in the trash, with its battery and other components that could be harmful to the environment. 👍

I do use ours on our refrigerator at home to post notes. It's strong enough for papers. But, as someone else said, if you're looking to hold anything heavier you might want to buy a stronger, flat magnet to glue to the back. 

5 minutes ago, trey420 said:

I never thought much about it.  I just keep it, my gf has them as keepsakes. I don't see the need to recycle them.  

Same here, just adding to my cruise card collection. The kids can throw them all away someday. Until then they make me smile.

• Like 4

I usually kept all of my old cruise cards in a box at home (even have a couple that go back to when they just had cardboard ID cards).  Now, I just keep the old medallions in the same box.  But, along the way, I've learned of one really good reason to keep these things:  Every now and then, the cruise lines screw up on your old cruise history...and though YOU know you are only "x" number of cruises from the next club level, they've somehow got it wrong...but you can prove to them that they are missing crediting you for a cruise by sending them a photo of your cruise card for that cruise...and, now, I guess a photo of that medallion would do the same thing.  Doesn't happen often, but it happens!!

• Like 1

I have a bunch of magnets from old hard drives. They are strong. I already have a number of cruise mementos with hefty magnets glued to the back that are on my refrigerator. No reason not to include a Medallion - assuming I ever get one! (Of course it would have to pass muster with the missus... 😁) I believe she does have our old cruise cards in a desk drawer.

• Like 1