HAL's Black Friday Prices - BE CAREFUL!

PaperSniper4

I have been working with HAL now for over an hour. Turns out not all cruises listed on HAL's web page as "Black Friday" cruises actually qualify as Black Friday cruises. So be very careful and confirm what is included before booking! For instance, 8Apr2023 Nieuw Statendam is listed under Black Friday, but HAL is telling me and my TA that cruise doesn't qualify for the Black Friday perks....even though it's listed.

Hopefully I can find someone at HAL who can get mess straightened out....I doubt the one cruise I checked is the only one that is on their page that is NOT a Black Friday fared cruise. Beware!😪

Two hours later: Not all the cruises that show under "Black Friday" qualify UNLESS there is a small "Black Friday" logo on the upper left of the map of that particular cruise <image below>. I am using Firefox as my browser. Perhaps other browsers will show that logo, but mine does not. So, if you are going to book on HAL's web page, be sure that the cruise you want to book has the small logo on the map, even though the cruise is listed under Black Friday. I've attached a sample of the logo. Hopefully I can save someone else from wasting 2 hours on the phone.😎

Doug

logo.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Turns out not all cruises listed on HAL's web page as "Black Friday" cruises actually qualify as Black Friday cruises.

I checked on a couple cruises that we have booked in 2023 and they appeared in the list of Black Friday Deals but didn't include the crew incentives. They did have the $99 per person cruise deposit listed, so I guess that would be a deal if it were a new booking.

25 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

False or misleading advertising is never a good PR move.

If you click on the link for the Black Friday Sale there are 52 pages worth of cruises that all have the Black Friday sale logo on them. Not to false or misleading in my opinion. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I use chrome’s Browser and the Black Friday banner was readily visible. DH booked October 8-22 Nieuw Statendam online with no problem at a $99 deposit pp and received a confirmation showing all the promised perks.

IIRC, HAL sometimes shows a message on their website that Chrome is the recommended browser if people are having issues.

I tend to be an early booker.  I called on this, since my cruise is definitely listed, and was told that my original "promotion" was not included.  I didn't receive a great price on the cruise, and as usual, couldn't understand what I'm missing.  Maybe I should book last minute from now on.  It would have been fair if I received a terrific price on the cruise, but that is not the case at all.  I never had this difficulty with HAL in years past.  The PCC would just give me the extra perks on Black Friday.

1 hour ago, Laminator said:

If you click on the link for the Black Friday Sale there are 52 pages worth of cruises that all have the Black Friday sale logo on them. Not to false or misleading in my opinion. 

Well no, but if you  can't see those logos then you can't see them. I see that as a problem. I suspect it's some glitch with their code that is not compatible with some browsers. I use Firefox and cannot see the logo. I was going to use another PC and see if IE or Chrome would display the logos. But that's a task for another day..........from what others have said, apparently their code works correctly with Chrome, but not with Firefox. According to one link, I am in the distinct minority using Firefox! Oh well, I have always danced to the beat of a different drum!<g>

Doug

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

I use chrome’s Browser and the Black Friday banner was readily visible. DH booked October 8-22 Nieuw Statendam online with no problem at a $99 deposit pp and received a confirmation showing all the promised perks.

IIRC, HAL sometimes shows a message on their website that Chrome is the recommended browser if people are having issues.

we use chrome also, and it is the most reliable for us. we booked as well on a black Friday sale without a hitch. if it helps anyone still looking for hotels, black Friday deals apply to hotel sales as well. we booked cruise and hotels and saved a lot of money today.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Well no, but if you  can't see those logos then you can't see them. I see that as a problem. I suspect it's some glitch with their code that is not compatible with some browsers. I use Firefox and cannot see the logo. I was going to use another PC and see if IE or Chrome would display the logos. But that's a task for another day..........from what others have said, apparently their code works correctly with Chrome, but not with Firefox. According to one link, I am in the distinct minority using Firefox! Oh well, I have always danced to the beat of a different drum!<g>

Doug

Maybe you misunderstood. 

If you click on the link of the graphic below that is on the home page all of the cruises that show up are Black Friday Specials. As I stated earlier there are 52 pages of them. If the link doesn't work for you on Firefox then there are more issues than a logo not appearing.

image.thumb.png.c0ceac12d32a8cfcd89bdb4bb39dbaae.png

1 hour ago, tuolumne couple said:

we use chrome also, and it is the most reliable for us. we booked as well on a black Friday sale without a hitch. if it helps anyone still looking for hotels, black Friday deals apply to hotel sales as well. we booked cruise and hotels and saved a lot of money today.

Me too! And I got airfare 10% off through Alaska. I saved a nice chunk of change today with the sales. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tuolumne couple said:

I primarily use Chrome, but sometimes it runs VERY slowly and will not load certain HAL pages.  When that happens I switch to Edge and get MUCH better results.

3 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

I primarily use Chrome, but sometimes it runs VERY slowly and will not load certain HAL pages.  When that happens I switch to Edge and get MUCH better results.

hmm, well, i have a new computer, so my operating system is pretty fast. naturally, a web browser is not always in control of the speed, there are a lot of factors controlling that for sure, such as an internet connection. glad edge is working well for you. I have the shortcut, but i haven't tried it yet.

50 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

Do you receive  the $99 deposit and the tips paid only when you book with the Have it All promo?  I don't feel the promo is worth the price for us so we will be booking cruise only.

I do not find the terms all that clear.

Thanks for any insight 🙂

I am pretty certain you get it without taking the HIA promo.  Do a test booking on the HAL site on your cruise to be certain.

1 hour ago, SilvertoGold said:

Do you receive  the $99 deposit and the tips paid only when you book with the Have it All promo?  I don't feel the promo is worth the price for us so we will be booking cruise only.

Thanks for any insight :)

you do not need to book the HAVE IT ALL promo.  Black Friday/Cyber Sale perk of reduced deposit and prepaid crew incentive is available  with advantage fare, refundable deposit bookings - as long as the sailing is coded/applicable for Black Friday promo.

Carol

1 hour ago, SilvertoGold said:

Thanks for any insight 🙂

I got some good Mariner pricing on my cruise and I still got the crew incentive.  I didn’t use thee $99 deposit because I canceled on cruise and booked another.  Everything was just transferred over.

54 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I got some good Mariner pricing on my cruise and I still got the crew incentive.  I didn’t use thee $99 deposit because I canceled on cruise and booked another.  Everything was just transferred over.

This is good to know. I booked on Wednesday with mariner pricing and the person couldn’t figure out how to add the Black Friday special to it. I’ll call back and check in with someone else. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies to my query in post #18

I did a test booking. 7 day cruise, April.

1. Not signed in: yes, included is $99 Deposit and tips with cruise only booking. 

2. Signed in with Mariner number:  pricing is $$50.00 less pp than #1, but the $99 deposit and tips are not included with cruise only booking.

Most interesting!

• Like 1