The Daily for Sunday December 05, 2021

richwmn

19 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all!  I am a bit late this wintry morning.  Thanks Debbie, that black lentil pasta dish looks really good.   And Prosecco, can’t go wrong! 

I’m enjoying the photos of Kodak!  And Gerri has inspired me to get baking!  Would like the recipe form Jazzy too! Laura, I tried making my Dm Christmas cake, but no method, so this year am cheating with Costco! 

I had gotten a recipe from BFF's family in Germany, but I think something got lost in the translation. This one has been my go to for the last several years. https://www.daringgourmet.com/hutzelbrot-german-fruit-and-nut-bread/  It's a very wet dough, with all the soaked fruit, even though I drained it well. I had to add about another cup of flour to get a manageable dough.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all!  I am a bit late this wintry morning.  Thanks Debbie, that black lentil pasta dish looks really good.   And Prosecco, can’t go wrong! 

I’m enjoying the photos of Kodak!  And Gerri has inspired me to get baking!  Would like the recipe form Jazzy too! Laura, I tried making my Dm Christmas cake, but no method, so this year am cheating with Costco! 

Graham, I envy you the lovely spots, we haven’t dined out for a long time now! 
happy Sunday! 

I'm sorry to hear you haven't dined out for a long time now.

Hopefully you will be cruising again soon and have lots of dining experiences.

Graham.

• Like 8

Good afternoon, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

A good collection of days. I volunteered yesterday at the Children's Christmas party which was a success.

If the quote is about taking the high road, I am on board.

I love lentils but I am sure I enjoy meat sauce way too much to try today's meal.

We have been getting the house ready and packing today in order to leave tomorrow morning. At this time we do not know what day we will return home. What I do know is that for 12 nights the Nieuw Amsterdam ⛴️ will be our home. According to the Navigator we have 5 days and 8 hours. 🎉 (I know it is really more like exactly 6 days that we should be leaving FLL.) 

@grapau27 Graham, what a beautiful setting and delicious looking food, not to mention the good looking family. Thank you for sharing.

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, I am happy for the win, but disappointed the refs could not keep a handle on the game. Praying the injured players are feeling better and that nobody got hurt in this morning's game.

Wishing everyone a blessed Sunday.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Just got a text from oldest DD who is waiting to get her booster.  They are thinking about driving out to Quartzsite for Christmas. I'm excited and keeping my fingers crossed 🤞 it all works out.  Like last year, if things change and they feel unsafe traveling, we'll understand.  I'd rather have them safe than risk their health to see them for a few days.

I found a few different pictures of Kodiak on DH's tablet.  They are from our various trips except the one in 1992 in the pre-digital age.

@rafinmd, Roy, this first picture is for you.  I didn't find a good picture of the Tustemena in Kodiak, but this was her sailing out of Homer, bound for Kodiak.  I guess that counts.  For those who have never sailed on her or seen her, the tall structure near the stern is how vehicles are loaded on the ferry.  You drive onto the platform between the uprights, and are then lowered to the parking deck.  Once on that deck, a turntable rotates the vehicle so it can be driven to its parking spot.

DSC04008.thumb.JPG.0e921707fd66a83306e0fcede4b6b5e8.JPG

A Kodiak bear looking for salmon in a stream.

P1010341.thumb.JPG.37d0a351b50ab46f6feb3d8cc5b5a087.JPG

Eagles near town looking for fish 

DSC03900.thumb.JPG.62da4e7995f397b3d5974105022ea304.JPG

A WWII bunker and remnants of guns in Fort Abercrombie State Park.  This bunker is a museum that is worth a visit.

P1050276.thumb.JPG.abf1eca4e2b8c71585fe124ee2cd930f.JPG

P1050298.thumb.JPG.408bd640fcff6e553982065f18f05daa.JPG

P1050301.thumb.JPG.e500d3016686a99465071fac0c566771.JPG

Another bunker 

P1050305.thumb.JPG.2d7f7409c3cabfd2b74260a2167bd06f.JPG

The plaque marking the high water level reached by the tidal wave after the March 27, 1964, earthquake.  The plaque is outside the fire station near Mcdonalds, quite a way above sea level.

P1010356.thumb.JPG.76cb454c26c72e83b52a3b5b4282293e.JPG

Finally, the small boat harbor downtown 

P1050272.thumb.JPG.5d626c4bd5eaef9c53d151a9eb2a5813.JPG

Lenda

• Like 23
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, JAM37 said:

Good afternoon, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

A good collection of days. I volunteered yesterday at the Children's Christmas party which was a success.

If the quote is about taking the high road, I am on board.

I love lentils but I am sure I enjoy meat sauce way too much to try today's meal.

We have been getting the house ready and packing today in order to leave tomorrow morning. At this time we do not know what day we will return home. What I do know is that for 12 nights the Nieuw Amsterdam ⛴️ will be our home. According to the Navigator we have 5 days and 8 hours. 🎉 (I know it is really more like exactly 6 days that we should be leaving FLL.) 

@grapau27 Graham, what a beautiful setting and delicious looking food, not to mention the good looking family. Thank you for sharing.

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, I am happy for the win, but disappointed the refs could not keep a handle on the game. Praying the injured players are feeling better and that nobody got hurt in this morning's game.

Wishing everyone a blessed Sunday.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

Thank you for your lovely words.

I hope you both have a wonderful cruise.

Graham.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

As promised, a few pictures from Kodiak from our 2010 14-day trip on Amsterdam. We took a HAL sponsored tour to the State Park and it was spectacular. 

Sail in:

DSC_0106.thumb.JPG.84c5e449bf22fa8a262c6f95945b4d17.JPG

Hike in the State Park:

DSC_0143.thumb.JPG.234994d74351a2641c49c656947999f4.JPG

DSC_0167.thumb.JPG.c46e9bb4aa11f24425cbadfd7cbe1ba1.JPG

DSC_0203.thumb.JPG.c9fdcf6a959324a7508d1c1e467eccca.JPG

DSC_0206.thumb.JPG.cbec0c87f84454ef3b849c7e6e9d942b.JPG

DSC_0210.thumb.JPG.77de6f70d028a12e902950d646d59ac4.JPG

DSC_0224.thumb.JPG.6dfaf17c3029a7348003cc42a99b7ced.JPG

The Harbor:

DSC_0267.thumb.JPG.59652e65e0e4bd413055af6042b6b302.JPG

The wind came up as we left and we had a very exciting ride, getting off the dock and out the harbor. 

DSC_0307.thumb.JPG.b0808a2673340df236b73f77ff67c5d0.JPG

DSC_0329.thumb.JPG.34a9778f7e5d4212801701cf01814760.JPG

• Like 20
  • Thanks 4

Regarding a post from last week concerning growing lettuce hydroponically (on Mason Jar Day):

Use 1 Qt wide mouth mason jars that have been spray painted black to exclude light and prevent algae growth.

You need the following:

1. Proper fertilizers:  Amazon.com: MASTERBLEND 4-18-38 Complete Combo Kit Fertilizer Bulk (2.5 Pound Kit) : Patio, Lawn & Garden

2. A set of 3" baskets, which will fit the mason jars  Amazon.com: Mesh Net Pots for Hydroponics Cups - 25 Pieces 3 Inch Wide Lip Bucket Basket for Hydroponic Slotted Mesh with 25 Pieces Plant Labels and 33ft Self-Watering Capillary Water Wick : Patio, Lawn & Garden

3. Clay pellets (Hydroton) or 1 1/2" glass wool cubes. I couldn't find the brand recommended, so i bought this  Amazon.com : Onetour Hydroclay Premium Hydroponics Clay Pellets Substrate 10 litres : Patio, Lawn & Garden

4. A 6-pack of lettuce.

Instructions:

Fill bucket with water (5 gallons) first, then add nutrients at this concentration:

·         2.5 tsp Master Blend 4-18-38     

·         2.5 tsp Ca Nitrate 15 5-0-0

·         1.25 tsp MgSO4 (Epsom salt)

Insert plant with roots cleaned of soil. Wrap glass wool around the roots or surround with Hydroton balls to fill basket. 

Insert basket in mason jar with solution. Screw on bank. 

It is supposed to take 3 weeks. 

I just started painting the jars, so it will be tomorrow at the earliest before I plant. I'll report back ~ "Mikey"

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

I had gotten a recipe from BFF's family in Germany, but I think something got lost in the translation. This one has been my go to for the last several years. https://www.daringgourmet.com/hutzelbrot-german-fruit-and-nut-bread/  It's a very wet dough, with all the soaked fruit, even though I drained it well. I had to add about another cup of flour to get a manageable dough.

Thankyou!  It sounds amazing and quite the labour of love!  I do have some German background so will try this,. Not sure how easy it will be to find dried pears? 

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

I'm sorry to hear you haven't dined out for a long time now.

Hopefully you will be cruising again soon and have lots of dining experiences.

Graham.

We do take out and sometimes eat in the dining room, lol!   Hoping for a winter trip to Hawaii where most times you can eat outside.  

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 11

Good evening friends!  We are home from Orlando safe and sound.  The family is on a plane at the moment heading back to Ann Arbor.  It was an early morning (7:30) game after a late night watching the Michigan game.  We will have to catch up on sleep tonight.  But the football game ended very well last night, and the soccer game ended very well this morning!  The ref today was much younger and in good shape so was able to keep up with the young soccer players.  The earlier two refs were so out of shape they just stayed put most of the time and sure didn't see very well!🤔  After a rough two days both teams seemed to play a little subdued today or it could be because of the early hour.  We didn't see the poor sportsmanship we had encountered Friday and Saturday.  Today's opponents were from the Miami area.  Unfortunately for them, our Michigan Tigers won 7 - 1.  🙂  The boy with the bruised tailbone sat out today so I hope he's feeling much better very soon.  The abused player from yesterday was back at it today and doing fine.  

I told everyone we HAD to stop and take a photo today so here it is.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJdwWiS9N3TDNXCPFwpWkue5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1638744939

L to R:  DS, Ren, DH, DDIL, older DGS, me.

I'll go back and read all the posts right after our pizza is consumed.  Hope everyone had a great weekend!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

Just now, StLouisCruisers said:

Good evening friends!  We are home from Orlando safe and sound.  The family is on a plane at the moment heading back to Ann Arbor.  It was an early morning (7:30) game after a late night watching the Michigan game.  We will have to catch up on sleep tonight.  But the football game ended very well last night, and the soccer game ended very well this morning!  The ref today was much younger and in good shape so was able to keep up with the young soccer players.  The earlier two refs were so out of shape they just stayed put most of the time and sure didn't see very well!🤔  After a rough two days both teams seemed to play a little subdued today or it could be because of the early hour.  We didn't see the poor sportsmanship we had encountered Friday and Saturday.  Today's opponents were from the Miami area.  Unfortunately for them, our Michigan Tigers won 7 - 1.  🙂  The boy with the bruised tailbone sat out today so I hope he's feeling much better very soon.  The abused player from yesterday was back at it today and doing fine.  

I told everyone we HAD to stop and take a photo today so here it is.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJdwWiS9N3TDNXCPFwpWkue5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1638744939

I'll go back and read all the posts right after our pizza is consumed.  Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Glad you're home safely and that things were saner today.  Glad the team won.

Kdam just sailed.  We're on the balcony enjoying the SD skyline.  Captain Draper likes to sail early, which has been most days.

Lenda

• Like 13

58 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Thankyou!  It sounds amazing and quite the labour of love!  I do have some German background so will try this,. Not sure how easy it will be to find dried pears? 

Yes, dried pears aren't easy to find. The first year I got a little pack at Trader Joe's, and upped the other fruits to make the weight. Now I order from nuts.com, who have a 1lb bag for about $12. I get the hazelnuts there too, although recently my grocery store had them.

44 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Great picture. I'm glad the Tigers won, that the ref was able to keep up, and that no one seems seriously injured.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Sandi, I'm glad you are home safe and sound. Congratulations on today's win as well as a better ref and less violence. Continued prayers for the injured. Wishing you a peaceful night's sleep.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Congratulations on the win!! I was hoping the action today would be less abusive. Thankful you're home safe. Enjoy your pizza and see ya tomorrow. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

We do take out and sometimes eat in the dining room, lol!   Hoping for a winter trip to Hawaii where most times you can eat outside.  

Bulk Barn for the dried pears?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all!  The boys are great kids and their coach doesn't put up with behavior like the other teams exhibited.  The coach is Scottish and a real hoot to talk to.  Love his accent!

I feel those two nasty teams bully and abuse their opponents to claw their way to a victory hoping at least some of their illegal behavior will be missed.  It seems to work sometimes.  

Here's some of the boys after the game.  Ren is 4th from left.  He's co-captain along with the guy in green, who is the goalkeeper.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJGLLT2Pfg-Rsg4KvR7mhrb4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1638744940

The young lady player, Chloe, was being interviewed by a reporter at the time the photo was taken.  Yesterday when the mean boys were trying to initiate a fight with our players, several of our guys ran over to shield Chloe and lead her to safety quickly.  They watch out for her.  She may not have the same speed as the boys do but she has fantastic footwork!

• Like 14

Thanks for all the Daily reports, recipes, humour and photos, have not been to Kodiak, so appreciate seeing the pictures.

Volunteer day, is important.   Today we delivered Meals on Wheels, Rotary club members have turn about delivering as part of their volunteer activites.  We have both been involved with various volunteer activities for many years.

@StLouisCruisers congratulations to the winning team, bullying is such bad sportsmanship. Thanks for sharing the team photo.

@JAM37 Bon Voyage.

It's a cloudy day, a little blue sky, but temperature only 12 C.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

Edited by erewhon
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Great days. Volunteering is important; I used to volunteer at a women's shelter. Yay Repeal Day! Communicating with your kids is vital (although I have none).

Not sure what the quote means; if it's the high road in life, then I'll agree with it.

I'll pass on the meal (although I like lentils in stews with meat or chicken), drink and wine.

I haven't been to Kodiak. Thanks for the pictures.

Not to much going on here. Doing laundry, and bringing up some of the outdoor decorations as I make trips up and down to the basement.

@StLouisCruisers Sorry to hear of the injured players. Congrats to your team for winning.

@grapau27 Thanks for the pictures of you all at the castle, with its decorations. 

@Heartgrove Bon Voyage!

@Overhead Fred Welcome home.

@NextOne Prayers for your DDIL. Safe travels!

Prayers for the care list and a toast to the celebration list.

Stay safe all.

A picture of my efforts for the last 3 days. German fruit bread (Hutzelbrot). The loaves are now wrapped and allowing the flavors to meld. They will last 2-3 months or can be frozen. Most will go to BFF as a Christmas present.

1121299166_2021_12.4Hutzelbrot1.thumb.jpg.e50ca4b8655ef49bf1ad40aff7a9db2b.jpg

Vanessa, I’m intrigued, what is the pad under your mixer?  Does it help with the movement of the mixer?

• Like 4

11 hours ago, bennybear said:

Laura, I tried making my Dm Christmas cake, but no method, so this year am cheating with Costco! 

I found DM’s stash of Christmas recipes in the back of an old cookbook. Her favourite, that she had left as a note, had no method other than baking temp and time. Sorting through the papers, I found a very old newspaper clipping with the original recipe. The tips and method were in that, so all is well. 

• Like 10

12 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Vanessa, I’m intrigued, what is the pad under your mixer?  Does it help with the movement of the mixer?

The pad is a countertop appliance slider, designed to help slide heavier appliances without damaging the counter. I upgraded to a 7qt professional Kitchenaid mixer, as my 5 qt tilt head just couldn't handle the dough of this bread, unless I made it in two batches. So I just slide the mixer from it's place in the counter to a more accessible area. People put them under mixers, coffee makers, toaster ovens, etc, 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JazzyV said:

The pad is a countertop appliance slider, designed to help slide heavier appliances without damaging the counter. I upgraded to a 7qt professional Kitchenaid mixer, as my 5 qt tilt head just couldn't handle the dough of this bread, unless I made it in two batches. So I just slide the mixer from it's place in the counter to a more accessible area. People put them under mixers, coffee makers, toaster ovens, etc, 

Thank you!  Can you share a brand name?  I’m always sliding my mixer around on the counter. 

• Like 2