MDR foods not to miss

tjcletzgo

6 hours ago, jondfk said:

Three words:  Flourless Chocolate Cake.

Usually served the first night (embarkation day) for dinner.  We give up or defer our free day one specialty dining perk simply because of this dessert.

2 hours ago, chrysalis said:

Just spent 28 days on the Sky...and the flourless chocolate cake is certainly not like it was 2 years ago....it is more like a dense pudding.

6 hours ago, jondfk said:

Three words:  Flourless Chocolate Cake.

Usually served the first night (embarkation day) for dinner.  We give up or defer our free day one specialty dining perk simply because of this dessert.

The flourless chocolate cake varies from ship to ship and even from venue to venue on a ship. It was excellent on the Caribbean this month but not that great in the dining room on the Majestic in August. On the Majestic, though, it was wonderful in the buffet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Sadly I would not count on your “go-to” favorites aS being the same.  Hoping this is temporary but there is literally nothing on the menu I would recommend.  The Alfredo is nothing like what it was.  I cook and I can tell the sauce has been majorly altered.  In fact, I’m on the regal now and two nights ago it was served with linguine rather than fettuccine.  It was shocking.  On sky in November it was also awful.

cost cutting, supply chain or whatever - the belts have been tightened in many ways.

15 hours ago, CruisinChris said:

Sadly I would not count on your “go-to” favorites aS being the same.  Hoping this is temporary but there is literally nothing on the menu I would recommend.  The Alfredo is nothing like what it was.  I cook and I can tell the sauce has been majorly altered.  In fact, I’m on the regal now and two nights ago it was served with linguine rather than fettuccine.  It was shocking.  On sky in November it was also awful.

cost cutting, supply chain or whatever - the belts have been tightened in many ways.

Agreed. This happened a few years ago when we noticed the definite change. It's just OK now but no where's near as good. 

Maybe they just wanted to make a healthily version of it?

I just sit there & laugh to myself when I listen to others rave about how good it is. 

6 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Agreed. This happened a few years ago when we noticed the definite change. It's just OK now but no where's near as good. 

Maybe they just wanted to make a healthily version of it?

I just sit there & laugh to myself when I listen to others rave about how good it is. 

I think they now use milk instead of cream - or at least that's what it tastes like to me

Without a doubt, the Chocolate desserts on Princess cruises are the best on the high seas. Pasta dishes are also very good, the Beef Wellington is excellent.

Soups are also very good especially the French Onion. 

All that being said, we were told  back in 2017 that the budget with MDR food was being reduced  and which we have noticed.

I will say based on 2 cruises on the Caribbean Princess in the past 3 weeks that the food in the World Marketplace has been very good and of pretty high quailty.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 1

On 12/22/2021 at 4:12 PM, skynight said:

We always enjoyed the cheesecake ordered with chocolate sauce instead of the strawberry sauce. Hope it's still available.

That's brilliant!  I'll have to try that same sub with other desserts that come with extraneous fruit-based sauces. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, victory2020 said:

I think they now use milk instead of cream - or at least that's what it tastes like to me

I think so.

It is healthier but if I only eat it once a year what difference could it make at my age. 😆

• Haha 1

On 12/22/2021 at 7:01 PM, geoherb said:

The flourless chocolate cake varies from ship to ship and even from venue to venue on a ship. It was excellent on the Caribbean this month but not that great in the dining room on the Majestic in August. On the Majestic, though, it was wonderful in the buffet. 

Interesting... I had the flourless chocolate cake on the Emerald's post-COVID, inaugural sailing, and I thought it was fantastic!  Very dense and rich.  They used the good stuff for the MDR that night.

• Like 2

We were just on the Enchanted for 20 days. Fantastic food and service. So many new and different salads at dinner. We ate in the dining room  every night. We did find the new buffet set up wonderful. So many small dishes of a wild variety of different items. I loved the individual baked pasta at lunch. Desserts in the dining room were fantastic. A new trio dessert on Italian night was out of this world. Lots of different  cheesecakes 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kucheraa said:

We were just on the Enchanted for 20 days. Fantastic food and service. So many new and different salads at dinner. We ate in the dining room  every night. We did find the new buffet set up wonderful. So many small dishes of a wild variety of different items. I loved the individual baked pasta at lunch. Desserts in the dining room were fantastic. A new trio dessert on Italian night was out of this world. Lots of different  cheesecakes 

Princess must have cornered the market on cream cheese. 😁

• Haha 1

My morning go-to was Eggs Benedict -> replace ham with spinach. But then it took a little longer to get it as it was specifically made w/o pepper. Otherwise spinach had it. 

SORBET after every brunch, lunch, dinner!!!!! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kucheraa said:

I have to agree with you on the small dish buffet items. I’m a fan of how they are easy to grab and go for a quick snack in your stateroom when you get the munchies and can’t wait for dinner. They are perfectly sized so you don’t spoil your appetite and there’s enough variety to find something you’ll enjoy.