MDR foods not to miss

tjcletzgo

As mentioned above, the goat cheese souffle. Back in November, I had an appetizer that was ponzu marinated tofu with pomegranate reduction. That was really great. Calamari and pork belly paella was really good too.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sandyoftheseas said:

The cold peach Bellini soup  I always order two! I agree with post #5 all the cold fruit soups are good but my husband doesn't agree he says soup should be hot.  

I'm a big fan of the cold soups. They have a chilled pumpkin soup that's really good. Savory, rather than sweet.

• Like 1

A good opportunity to try things you might not have tried or don't trust shoreside.

Try Steak Tartare. You can trust them to prepare it right.  Escargot is only on the last formal night. On Celebrity it's an appetizer every night.

The Ernesto burger. Readers from other countries will think I'm just being an American about a hamburger, but it is the best hamburger I've ever eaten.

The Love Boat Dream.

You didn't mention which ship you will be on. The Majestic for example has a Chinese restaurant that offers items familiar to westerners. But we have not eaten there, just saying some ships have different venues.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

You didn't mention which ship you will be on. The Majestic for example has a Chinese restaurant that offers items familiar to westerners. But we have not eaten there, just saying some ships have different venues.

Good point on the Majestic! If you're on that ship, you shouldn't miss the noodle bar out on Lido deck. Really good eats.

13 hours ago, suekel said:

Goat cheese souffle, Chicken and Leek pot pie, Beef Wellington

Omg the pot pie.

On the Antarctica Cruise when we were stuck without being able to get more provisions because we missed two ports and they had the pot pie for 8 days I was soooooooo happy.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mel8kri said:

Love the Beef Wellington. Also since I can’t afford escargot in a restaurant I always get it on the ship.

You might consider making them at home.  Canned escargot (which is what they use on ships) are relatively inexpensive and preparing is quite easy.  DW even purchased empty escargot shells for the times that she wants to serve them in shells.  

Agree that the Beef Wellington is good.  In fact we found it the best beef served on our recent Enchanted cruise...even superior to the so-so ribeye served in the Crown Grill.

Hank

• Like 4

Three words:  Flourless Chocolate Cake.

Usually served the first night (embarkation day) for dinner.  We give up or defer our free day one specialty dining perk simply because of this dessert.

Second choice, on a sea day lunch menu, Beef Roulade.  Perhaps not as good as you might get in Thuringia but really, really good just the same.  Again, we change plans as necessary when this appears on the menu!

• Like 2

Around the holidays there is Stollen (German Christmas bread) on the pastry trays that are brought around for breakfast in the MDR. They still had it in January 2020 which was after the holidays.

Challah bread on Friday evenings in the MDR, but you need to ask for it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jondfk said:

Three words:  Flourless Chocolate Cake.

Usually served the first night (embarkation day) for dinner.  We give up or defer our free day one specialty dining perk simply because of this dessert.

Second choice, on a sea day lunch menu, Beef Roulade.  Perhaps not as good as you might get in Thuringia but really, really good just the same.  Again, we change plans as necessary when this appears on the menu!

Just spent 28 days on the Sky...and the flourless chocolate cake is certainly not like it was 2 years ago....it is more like a dense pudding.

And we never, ever saw a chicken and leek deep dish....as a matter of fact, never saw anything that was "Curtis Stone" on the menu.

There were many menu items that were not like they used to be, sadly.

• Like 1