CDC/Refund

sassy~one

2 minutes ago, sassy~one said:

Perfect answer. I was feeling pretty stressed when I posted.  I have decided to sit tight. Thanks.

If it makes you feel any better about the airports and planes, we had to fly 4 flights in December due to a death in the family and flying wasn't as awful as we thought it would be.  Atlanta airport had the most unmasked individuals at the gate but you can always sit somewhere else.  We wore our masks of course, but if you're anxious about being in close quarters on the plane, double mask.  Also, you don't have to eat the snack or drink your water, so you could avoid removing your mask then, too.  

I know you'll do okay with the flying, and then you can enjoy your cruises.  Enjoy!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

If it makes you feel any better about the airports and planes, we had to fly 4 flights in December due to a death in the family and flying wasn't as awful as we thought it would be.  Atlanta airport had the most unmasked individuals at the gate but you can always sit somewhere else.  We wore our masks of course, but if you're anxious about being in close quarters on the plane, double mask.  Also, you don't have to eat the snack or drink your water, so you could avoid removing your mask then, too.  

I know you'll do okay with the flying, and then you can enjoy your cruises.  Enjoy!

Thank you so much.  Great ideas and supportive answer. 

• Thanks 1

Just cancelled Jan 2 zuiderdam yesterday. Did not have HAL insurance, had outside company for better medical coverage, but that wouldn’t cover this kind of thing. HAL gave me FCC that agent said would be good to cover a 2022 or 2023 cruise (but haven’t seen it in my account yet…a few weeks they said. Agent told me HAL policy had just changed day before, Wednesday, to allow cancellation up to 48 hours before. 

kind of sad.  Should be driving to Minneapolis today for flight tomorrow. Didn’t want to take chance of ending up in quarantine though, rather go when less stressful. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lizofwisconsin said:

Just cancelled Jan 2 zuiderdam yesterday. Did not have HAL insurance, had outside company for better medical coverage, but that wouldn’t cover this kind of thing. HAL gave me FCC that agent said would be good to cover a 2022 or 2023 cruise (but haven’t seen it in my account yet…a few weeks they said. Agent told me HAL policy had just changed day before, Wednesday, to allow cancellation up to 48 hours before. 

kind of sad.  Should be driving to Minneapolis today for flight tomorrow. Didn’t want to take chance of ending up in quarantine though, rather go when less stressful. 

I think you are very lucky.  I wouldn’t be surprised if it took longer than they say.  Just to clarify hal insurance is not good for medical.  I buy a completely different policy for that.  No way would I count on $10 k to cover medical expenses.  To me, the platinum plan should be purely used as a cancellation plan.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lizofwisconsin said:

Where is this new 48 hr cancellation policy ?  I don’t see it on HAL’s site?

• Like 2

Hi,

I am booked on the Rotterdam's cruise that is scheduled to depart on January 23, 2022. Because I purchased the platinum cancellation insurance, I have decided not to cancel my cruise at this point. It looks like I should receive a 90% refund if I cancel more than 24 hours in advance. I am not very optimistic, but there is still a slight chance that I will take the cruise. I don't have anything to lose by holding onto the reservation for a little longer.

Chuck

• Like 4

I assume you knew about the cancel for any reason up to 30 day policy a few weeks ago so I also assume your stress is new.   Realizing this is a temporary stress try to relax and wait until Monday before pursuing this further, you will just drive yourself batty. Nothing is going to change the cancellation policy facts between now and the cruise date.   Since there is likely no refund forthcoming I would do nothing in case you change your mind when there are fresh facts.   If there is a refund it will not change in value between now and Monday 

• Like 1

We have a 10 day cruise on the Eurodam booked for January 16th.  We did get the platinum protection, and we're seriously considering canceling the cruise.  I'm not afraid of catching Covid--we're both in good health and have had all 3 shots -- but I don't want to spend 10 days quarantined in a stateroom.

We cruised in August on the Nieuw Amsterdam to Alaska, and no masking was required on board ship.  We cruised on Royal Caribbean in October, and masks were required but social distancing was easy to do.

We live just outside of the area burned by yesterday's Colorado wildfires.  Today while walking the dogs I found pages from books that had been burned around the edges and floated a couple of miles on the wind.  Between Covid and being ready to evacuate yesterday, I'm just done with weirdness.  I don't want to quarantine on a ship.

Sorry for the rant.  I count my blessings often, and they are many.  But I want some normality for a while.  Thanks for reading this far.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, seacruise9 said:

Hi,

I am booked on the Rotterdam's cruise that is scheduled to depart on January 23, 2022. Because I purchased the platinum cancellation insurance, I have decided not to cancel my cruise at this point. It looks like I should receive a 90% refund if I cancel more than 24 hours in advance. I am not very optimistic, but there is still a slight chance that I will take the cruise. I don't have anything to lose by holding onto the reservation for a little longer.

Chuck

If you have the HAL Platinum Protection Plan, you can cancel right up to time of departure and get 90%. If you have the Standard Plan, cancellation is 24 hours ahead, for 80%.

Our Standard & Platinum Plans At A Glance

Unforeseen events happen. When you book your next cruise, be sure to ask about our Cancellation Protection Plans to protect your cruise investment.

Benefits Provided by
Holland America Line
Standard Plan Platinum Plan
Cancellation for any reason Up to 24 hrs prior to departure Any time prior to departure
Cancellation fee refund Up to 80% total cruise vacation cost Up to 90% total cruise vacation cost
Extra Baggage Liability $500* $500*
Additional Benefits ○ Standard Plan Platinum Plan
Trip Interruption** Not included Up to 150% total cruise vacation cost
Trip Delay Not included Up to $500
Baggage/Personal Effects Not included Up to $1000*
Baggage Delay Not included Up to $500*
Emergency Evacuation / Repatriation Not included Up to $50,000
Medical & Dental Expense Not included Up to $10,000
Worldwide Emergency Assistance Services ◊ Not included 24/7
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Lizofwisconsin said:

I'm sorry you canceled. I understand your sadness.  It's been such a tough few years.  I'm also very happy you were allowed to get your money back. Have an amazing 2022! Sail often. Deb

• Like 1

12 hours ago, seacruise9 said:

Hi,

Chuck

I am also scheduled to sail on this cruise also.  Jan 9-Jan 29. 

10 hours ago, Machta said:

We have a 10 day cruise on the Eurodam booked for January 16th.  We did get the platinum protection, and we're seriously considering canceling the cruise.  I'm not afraid of catching Covid--we're both in good health and have had all 3 shots -- but I don't want to spend 10 days quarantined in a stateroom.

We cruised in August on the Nieuw Amsterdam to Alaska, and no masking was required on board ship.  We cruised on Royal Caribbean in October, and masks were required but social distancing was easy to do.

We live just outside of the area burned by yesterday's Colorado wildfires.  Today while walking the dogs I found pages from books that had been burned around the edges and floated a couple of miles on the wind.  Between Covid and being ready to evacuate yesterday, I'm just done with weirdness.  I don't want to quarantine on a ship.

Sorry for the rant.  I count my blessings often, and they are many.  But I want some normality for a while.  Thanks for reading this far.

I'm sorry for all you are going thru.  I have family in Colorado and it been so tough.  You do what is best for YOU!  May 2022 be amazing for you and yours.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cruiserchuck said:

I read on the NCL boards that NCL is allowing last minute cancellations with no penalty.  You get a future cruise credit, not a refund.  Hopefully HAL will follow suit.

I was talking with a neighbor yesterday who has a Viking cruise booked in January - less than two weeks from now.  She told me that they can cancel up to the day before. I assume they get a cruise credit and not a refund, but didn't ask for specifics.

2 hours ago, sassy~one said:

I'm also very happy you were allowed to get your money back.

Just to clarify. We get future cruise credits rather than actual money back. But very happy HAL allowed this. These are unusual times. 

when I booked our January cruise a year ago, I foolishly thought pandemic would be in the rear view mirror by now! Goes to show my ability to predict the future is murky. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tjcox9 said:

I was talking with a neighbor yesterday who has a Viking cruise booked in January - less than two weeks from now.  She told me that they can cancel up to the day before. I assume they get a cruise credit and not a refund, but didn't ask for specifics.

Viking has a very strict policy. It begins with full payment one year before, or when you book the cruise if less than a year. Then if you cancel, it is only cruise credit as they hang on to your money.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Heartgrove said:

Viking has a very strict policy. It begins with full payment one year before, or when you book the cruise if less than a year. Then if you cancel, it is only cruise credit as they hang on to your money.

And that is why we have never booked with Viking river or ocean cruises......would have to be last minute if we were  ever to do so.

• Like 4

On 12/31/2021 at 7:02 AM, DaveOKC said:

OP - does your credit card provide some travel insurance?  You might want to check on that.

Many credit cards have deleted their travel insurance policies (my Citi Visa stopped coverage last year). I checked into getting a new Chase Sapphire Reserve card that does still have travel insurance. However, coverage for pandemics (i.e. COVID) is explicitly excluded. Same with many independent policies - no pandemic coverage. One can buy Cancel for Any Reason coverage. Typically, it needs to be purchased within 2 or 3 weeks of the 1st deposit for the trip and the refund is 75-90% depending on the policy.

From elsewhere on Cruisecritic, it seems that Carnival has also changed their cancellation policy, at least for cruises through Jan. 14. to allow for a full refund. Given that Carnival and HAL share the same parent company, it seems plausible that the new HAL cancel policy mentioned earlier in this thread is legit.

Plus, it would make sense (at least from a health perspective, if not a financial one) for any cruise line to reduce their passenger counts as much as possible for the next few weeks.

See this thread on the Carnival board: "New Email From Carnival - Change of Ports, Masks, Full Refunds" here's a link to the email from Carnival mentioned in that thread:

https://view.carnivalcruiselineemail.com/?qs=c77e5e59b973f05d6f00c504624fd9e5869118035a3e1bb51b366f486e2b52b2c2974004e651f67c5c9155010fc2be39b45b57c3e2aa413769fa228920330f790020b0dd52048f6f8afe493fe3b5f157

• Thanks 1

Good info here from HAL website.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/worry-free-promise.html

Please note it also says: 

We are currently assessing enhanced health and safety protocols in light of COVID-19 and how they may impact our future offerings. Our actual offerings may vary from what is displayed or described here. Review our current Cruise Updates,  Health & Safety Protocols and CDC Travel Advisories.  We now have a COVID-19 Protection Program in place to provide further peace of mind for guests.