Calculating Crown & Anchor Points

jrapps

My wife and I were looking thru our past cruise history and I noticed that cruises we took from 2001 to 2007, we only received one point for the entire cruise regardless of the length. Staring in 2012, each cruise gets the same number of points as nights.

Is that right? Did they change the way they calculated points at some point, or is this a bug and I really should have had many more points than it shows I have. If it's a mistake then I've been losing out on diamond benefits for quite a long time.

They changed the system. It used to be one point per cruise which wasn’t really fair because you got one point whether it was 3 days or 12 days. 
Now it is one point per night and double points if you stay in a JS or above. 

Edited by RosieRoo

7 minutes ago, jrapps said:

My wife and I were looking thru our past cruise history and I noticed that cruises we took from 2001 to 2007, we only received one point for the entire cruise regardless of the length. Staring in 2012, each cruise gets the same number of points as nights.

Is that right? Did they change the way they calculated points at some point, or is this a bug and I really should have had many more points than it shows I have. If it's a mistake then I've been losing out on diamond benefits for quite a long time.

They converted the old points to the new system.  Add your points up by the days, double for suite cruise,  and compare it to what shows as total points in your account.   If the days added is more call C&A.

10 minutes ago, jrapps said:

I went thru the change. Most of my cruises are very old. If you mostly did 7 days it came out the same. If you did short cruises you made out like a bandit. Each short cruise got 7 days credit in the changeover. Some went crazy back then b2b2b2b2b short cheap majesty cruises.

Below is the conversion C&A used for the credit conversion when this was done in 2012.

Crown & Anchor changed from cruise credits to days credits using the following conversion.

1-4 - cruise credits x 7 plus 1 extra

5-7 - cruise credits  x 7 plus 3 extra

8+   -cruise credits  x 7 plus 13 extra

Edited by robtulipe
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I went thru the change. Most of my cruises are very old. If you mostly did 7 days it came out the same. If you did short cruises you made out like a bandit. Each short cruise got 7 days credit in the changeover. Some went crazy back then b2b2b2b2b short cheap majesty cruises.

Agree, some made out but then I was one of the few that lost some Points in the Conversion...

• Like 1

Just now, ONECRUISER said:

Agree, some made out but then I was one of the few that lost some Points in the Conversion...

I remember some were hurt. The post above mine isnt what I remember. I didnt cruise rcl that much  but I sure wished I lived by a florida port at the time .. even back then. Now I'm making plans to move there, too little too late? But that's my plan. I'd mostly done 7 days cruises and didnt make out but wasnt hurt. I too remember if you had longer cruises you didnt come out ahead.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, robtulipe said:

Below is the conversion C&A used for the credit conversion when this was done in 2012.

Crown & Anchor changed from cruise credits to days credits using the following conversion.

1-4 - cruise credits x 7 plus 1 extra

5-7 - cruise credits  x 7 plus 3 extra

8+   -cruise credits  x 7 plus 13 extra

This math adds up PERFECTLY. We had 2 cruises before the switch and if those count as 15 points, then my total works out.

Thanks everyone!

Just to add, I really appreciate this forum and everyone here. My wife wanted me to call Royal. I think I had a dozen responses here explaining everything faster than I would have even gotten thru on hold to Royal. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

I remember some were hurt. The post above mine isnt what I remember. I didnt cruise rcl that much  but I sure wished I lived by a florida port at the time .. even back then. Now I'm making plans to move there, too little too late? But that's my plan. I'd mostly done 7 days cruises and didnt make out but wasnt hurt. I too remember if you had longer cruises you didnt come out ahead.

Yeah not that mattered too much me was already Diamond in 90's and Diamond Plus when was created. Trying remember think it was my longer 9-11 niters and SOLO 7 niters why lost bunch points

• Like 1

The math doesn't always match up PERFECTLY.  In the late 1990's we took several 12 and 14 day cruises for which at that time we received 1 point each.  When the conversion was made, we only got 7 points for each.  I guess these dates were too far back in their system to verify the number of days.  And before anyone says to contact RC about them, who keeps documentation from 30 years ago?  I would have no proof.  Bummer, because these points would probably have me at the Pinnacle level now.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Janet524 said:

The math doesn't always match up PERFECTLY.  In the late 1990's we took several 12 and 14 day cruises for which at that time we received 1 point each.  When the conversion was made, we only got 7 points for each.  I guess these dates were too far back in their system to verify the number of days.  And before anyone says to contact RC about them, who keeps documentation from 30 years ago?  I would have no proof.  Bummer, because these points would probably have me at the Pinnacle level now.

When they made the change it was only based on the points that you had been previously awarded.  They did not go back and recalculate everyone's points based on sailing length.  Some gained (3 and 4 day cruisers) and some lost (longer than 7 days).

Even if you had documentation your points would not be adjusted

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

When they made the change it was only based on the points that you had been previously awarded.  They did not go back and recalculate everyone's points based on sailing length.  Some gained (3 and 4 day cruisers) and some lost (longer than 7 days).

Even if you had documentation your points would not be adjusted

I get it, but it's still a bummer!

56 minutes ago, snaebyllej said:

Nowhere near it for mine.

The C&A cruise credits were not applicable or given for your earlier RC cruises on RC's Song of America.

Our first RC cruise that got a C&A cruise credit was in 2002 and our total recalculated nights credit was spot on, as in correct, using the above conversion scale when the change over happened to nights credits.

Edited by robtulipe

9 minutes ago, robtulipe said:

The C&A cruise credits were not applicable or given for your earlier RC cruises on RC's Song of America.

Our first RC cruise that got a C&A cruise credit was in 2002 and our total recalculated nights credit was spot on as in correct when the change over happened to nights credits.

This is how my Sept 1987 Song of America cruise was credited.  0 for the cruise, but another "1970" entry for the 1 credit.

image.png.cd6b119936a42a7337ddb058bf08cacd.png

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

They added Emerald at the same time.  We were supposed to make D on our next cruise but with the new point system and added level, we had to wait one more cruise, so we were Emerald for one cruise and had to wait for D.  So, yes, some were "hurt".  We also at the time stayed in GS most of the time and got an extra point for that and cruising out of NJ, we had a  12 night cruise.  So, on one cruise we earned 3 points (2010).  Two others we earned 2 points each (2009 and 2010).  In 2011, the new system went into effect and all of our cruises after that we got double points for GS or JS.  Yes, I had to look at past cruises on the RCI site to remember all of that.

A lot of people who lived in FL made D and D+ by taking short weekend cruises as they got one point just like the 7-11 day cruises did also.  It really wasn't a fair system due to that.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

Also, found this really interesting.  We never volunteered but it appears to be a IT test cruise so purely imaginary.  We even have a reservation #.  This is what it shows:

12 Night Non Revenue It Test Cruise

Enchantment of the Seas

Nov 13  Nov 25, 2021

Edited by BND

3 hours ago, Janet524 said:

Besides missing out of couple dozen points they had no record my 1980's Cruises, were also lost in the Conversion.... Kept everything inc Statements and the old flexible laminated Cruise Card's issued onboard back then. Otherwise those 30-35yr old Cruises didnt exist. Did last month finally throw away 3 storage Tubs with paperwork, the old Ticketbooks and Daily Planners from all those yrs from Royal Cruises. 

Edited by ONECRUISER

7 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

This is how my Sept 1987 Song of America cruise was credited.  0 for the cruise, but another "1970" entry for the 1 credit.

image.png.cd6b119936a42a7337ddb058bf08cacd.png

The Nov. 5, 1970 cruise shows on my list as well. Our 1st cruise was not until 1999. 

9 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I went thru the change.

Yup menopause sucks! 😄😄😄. Sorry, couldn’t resist!
 As to this topic, we had a 7 day Empress cruise in 2002.  Received 8 points in the conversion.

Edited by poocher
  • Haha 2