The Daily for Friday 01/21/2022

richwmn

Today is National Hugging Day, Squirrel Appreciation Day, and International Sweat Pants Day

Without music, life would be a mistake.--Friedrich Nietzsche, Twilight of the Idols

Meal Suggestion for today - Saltwater Fish Dish
Drink of the Day - Peppermint Hot Chocolate
Wine of the Day - Marqués de la Concordia 2018 Lagunilla Crianza (R
Destination of the Day - Argostoli, Cephalonia, Greece

Ships With Passengers

At Sea Caribbean

Eurodam  

Destination Cristobal PA eta 1/22

Nieuw Statendam  

Destination Half Moon Cay BS eta 1/22

Rotterdam  

At Sea Pacific

Koningsdam  

Destination Honolulu HI eta 1/23

Panama City PA

Zuiderdam  

Anchorage

Ships Without Passengers

At Sea Caribbean

Nieuw Amsterdam  

off South Florida

At Sea Mediterranian Sea

Oosterdam  

Destination Corfu GR eta 1/21

Corfu GR

Volendam 

Zaandam  

Long Beach CA US

Westerdam  

Anchorage

Port Everglades, Fort Lauderdale FL US

Noordam  

Anchorage

0121Caribbean.thumb.png.a3252f300c675016d0c6ed941cc88f5b.png

0121Europe.thumb.png.4eb7154297a77166147e54c4ce304831.png

• Like 31
  • Thanks 14

Good afternoon.

It is 36°F and partly sunny.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

Pauline and I hug all the time.

Squirrels are cute.

It is rare to see red squirrels in our part of the UK as the grey squirrels have increased in numbers.

I wear jogging bottoms (Sweat pants) while in the house.

I love music and was a record sales representative for 3 years in the 1980s so the quote is good.

Nice food and drink today.

We have been to Argostoli on a cruise ship.

It is a nice port to walk around.

Prayers 🙏 for all those it will help.

Wishing everyone a lovely day.

Stay safe 😷

Graham

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the TGIF Daily, Rich.  While I salute hugging day in does not seem wise in the age of Covid.  I'll pass on the other 2 days and the fish.  I love the Nietzsche quote and will be at the Baltimore Symphony tomorrow.  I have not bee;n to Argostoli; it sounds interesting.

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui, dealing with more than should be on anyone’s shoulders
Saint John Hospital Covid Situation and Jose’s fall and fracture
Marley with poor lab results

Welfare of furloughed crews
Mamaofami, Sam and the search for a new aide
Tana in hospital with poor prognosis
MissG’s dad with pneumonia
kakalina with spreading lung cancer in hospice and stressful return to Louisiana with possible covid exposure
JAM37 DGD with covid
Cruzin Terri lump surgery 1/25
Numerious dailyite friends and family with covid
From the rotation:
MissG’s father hanging in for one more cruise.
Recovery for StLouisCruisers Niece DH after throat cancer surgery
SrLouisCruiser awaiting MOSE 2/21
HAL Sailor DH health issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

5 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers        
Carnival Group  hospital ships Nieuw Amsterdam, Crown Princess, and Queen Victoria
summer slope , sassy~one and bobpatj , (Rotterdam to1/29) at sea
Cruising single in Hawaii
Aide rotation for Sam
Marley recovering from infection
Progress for luvteaching DH
cunnorl successful MOSE
Seasick sailor’s angel Claudio
Highland Cruiser with the grandkids
StLouisCruisers DSIL going to be with his sick mother in Florida, AND more optimistic diagnosis
Tana out of ICU
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 12

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Interesting collection of days.  I'll give my sweetie a few extra hugs today.  Bertie loves squirrels.  We have a lot of black and grey squirrels in the area and a few red ones.  In the town of Exeter Ontario there are white squirrels.  Bertie will chase them all.🙂  I wear sweat pants around the house in the winter.

Good quote.

I'm not sure about the meal suggestion, I'll wait until I see the recipe.

Love hot chocolate but no peppermint in mine.  Hope the wine is good.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of today's port.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

RIP Meatloaf.

Have a wonderful Friday.   Stay safe.

• Like 31

Good morning and happy Friday everyone.  Thanks for the daily report and lists.  I’ll take hugging day and squirrels always entertain me when I walk through the public garden (those of you that feed birds may think otherwise).  Hats off to sweatpants although I don’t own any, just the flannel lounge pants.  Interesting quote.  Fish sounds nice depending on the recipe.  It’s 10°F this morning so I’ll take the drink.  I haven’t been to today’s port yet and look forward to the photos.  I await the results of a biopsy on my forearm yesterday, thankfully not as invasive as mohs.  Prayers for everyone on our list and Happy ___________ to those of you celebrating today!

• Like 32

Thank you for the lists.  One of the best parts of working from home is wearing sweat pants!!  We are having tuna noodle casserole tonight - maybe that counts as the fish of the day. In that with the windchill it is currently -2F out, it is definitely a peppermint cocoa kind of day - but I will start with coffee. 

• Like 31

19 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the TGIF Daily, Rich.  While I salute hugging day in does not seem wise in the age of Covid.  I'll pass on the other 2 days and the fish.  I love the Nietzsche quote and will be at the Baltimore Symphony tomorrow.  I have not bee;n to Argostoli; it sounds interesting.

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui, dealing with more than should be on anyone’s shoulders
Saint John Hospital Covid Situation and Jose’s fall and fracture
Marley with poor lab results

Welfare of furloughed crews
Mamaofami, Sam and the search for a new aide
Tana in hospital with poor prognosis
MissG’s dad with pneumonia
kakalina with spreading lung cancer in hospice and stressful return to Louisiana with possible covid exposure
JAM37 DGD with covid
Cruzin Terri lump surgery 1/25
Numerious dailyite friends and family with covid
From the rotation:
MissG’s father hanging in for one more cruise.
Recovery for StLouisCruisers Niece DH after throat cancer surgery
SrLouisCruiser awaiting MOSE 2/21
HAL Sailor DH health issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

5 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers        
Carnival Group  hospital ships Nieuw Amsterdam, Crown Princess, and Queen Victoria
summer slope , sassy~one and bobpatj , (Rotterdam to1/29) at sea
Cruising single in Hawaii
Aide rotation for Sam
Marley recovering from infection
Progress for luvteaching DH
cunnorl successful MOSE
Seasick sailor’s angel Claudio
Highland Cruiser with the grandkids
StLouisCruisers DSIL going to be with his sick mother in Florida, AND more optimistic diagnosis
Tana out of ICU
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for the lists Roy.

Graham 

• Like 15

Good morning  to all. We are enthusiastic  huggers  in this house.Our city has mostly grey squirrels but there have been a few black ones scurrying  around.The dogs always think they can catch up with one.Music has always been important to me and in my old age I remain a rock and roll woman at heart.I was sorry to hear about Meatloaf's passing .I  remember singing along with him in the car,much to the other occupants  horror.He was so theatrical and could really belt out a song.

It is quite cold today at 14 but would seem balmy for @ger_77  on the frozen tundra.

We have not been to the port.Love the quote.

Terry

• Like 34

Good morning.  Really rocking and rolling today.  Hug my DH often, have a dislike for squirrels.  Will pass on the meal.

Virtual hugs and prayers for our lists.  Toasts to our celebrations.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Peppermint Hot Chocolate:

Ingredients
3 c. whole milk
2/3 c. chocolate chips
1/4 c. sugar
pinch of salt
1 1/4 oz. peppermint schnapps - per glass
1 1/4 oz. creme de cocoa - per glass
Toppings:
marshmallows
crushed peppermint candies or candy canes

Instructions

In a medium saucepan, add the milk, chocolate chips, sugar, and salt.
Heat on medium-low heat, whisking frequently. Continue whisking until the chocolate melts completely and the mixture comes to a low simmer. (Do NOT let boil, as it will burn to the bottom of the pan.) Once the liquid comes to a low simmer, promptly remove from heat.
To 3 medium mugs, add 1 1/4 oz. (1 shot) each of the peppermint schnapps and creme de cocoa. Ladle in the hot chocolate to each mug. Top with marshmallows and crushed peppermints. Enjoy right away while hot.

Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 7.25.17 AM.png

• Like 33
  • Thanks 7

25 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon.

It is 36°F and partly sunny.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

Pauline and I hug all the time.

I envy your weather today as it's 13F here with a wind chill of 2.  I'll be out to the mall to walk soon, waiting until I can see any patches of ice on the roads but leaving the mall before there are many people there.

Roy

• Like 30

Good morning, everyone.

We're off to a cold start here in northeast Ohio.  I'm hoping the trash pickup comes by this morning so I can move my cans to a better place.  Right now they are blocking the driveway.  The snow drifts are too high to put them where I usually put them and so if I want to go out I have to move the cans to the "sidewalk", move the car out and park it, get out and move the cans back to the bottom of the driveway.   Repeat the process when I come home.  Yesterday was supposed to be pickup but the company called and said because of weather and the holiday on Monday they might be delayed, but do have the cans out there.  

Today's meal is kind of wide open.   I did not find a recipe for a single dish called Saltwater Fish Dish.  I found hundreds of recipes for saltwater fish dishes.   Here is a listing that you can browse and see if there are any that jump out for you.   https://www.tasteatlas.com/100-most-popular-saltwater-fish-dishes-in-the-world

574129112_SaltWaterFishDish.thumb.jpg.9785222585bcccec1b3e1a4e28604059.jpg

I went through it and picked out a few that sounded interesting.  Some because they just sounded good and others because they would be a new way to prepare fish.   

There are many reasons to love black cod — it is sustainably fished, full of healthy omega-3 fatty acids, and wonderfully buttery when cooked. Here’s one more: a classic Japanese recipe for black cod that makes an easy, elegant dinner for guests or a quick main dish you can prep over the weekend.  https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-nobu-miso-marinated-black-cod-117238

1770172051_BlackMisoCod2.jpg.9de8ff4b1a04e2c5648fbff3e9e5868f.jpg

Smooth, crisp and delicately flavored, Fiskefrikadeller (Danish Fish Cakes) make a delicious entrée or unique appetizer.  Serve with aioli.   https://artofnaturalliving.com/fiskefrikadeller-danish-fish-cakes/

fiskefrikadeller_Danish_fish_cakes_PinA.thumb.jpg.d1f89890b474e12870d0cd7b098bcce7.jpg

Originally, because of the high duty on salt which was back then an unavailable commodity, the local fishermen used to prepare acqua pazza by poaching the day's catch in seawater.

This simple broth was flavored merely with some olive oil and tomatoes if they were at hand. Over time, the recipe has evolved, and acqua pazza became a much sought after dish all along the Italian coast, especially popular with tourists on the island of Capri during the 1960s.  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/acqua-pazza-7116722

1105055886_Acquapazza.jpg.60b7a1ce1746ca1975965f8e5ef05b7b.jpg

LEKKERBEKJES ARE THE DUTCH VERSION OF “FISH AND CHIPS” WHERE YOU HAVE THE DEEP FRIED FISH SERVED IN A BUN WITH TARTARE SAUCE AND SOME BOILED POTATOES.   

https://adorefoods.com/dutch-lekkerbekjes/

Lekkerbekje.jpg.b493376f82a2210157194a2f1cc83d56.jpg

Prayers for all who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and may those who need prayers soon join the celebration list.  

Enjoy!

• Like 32
  • Thanks 12

Photo of Squirrel Holding Nut During Daytime

Years ago, DH and I went to DC, as neither of us had been, and thought it was time to go see our Capital.  We went in September, but it was a very hot and dry month, and while we would spend most of the day in one of the Smithsonian museums, we would go out and sit.  One day DH bought a bottled water, and a squirrel walked up to him.  DH poured some water into the bottle top and gave it to the squirrel.  He picked up the "cup" and drank.  He had several refills before he took off.  It was an amazing moment.

While I do feed the birds, I put out a mix for the squirrels too.

Hugging is wonderful, but I have to agree with Roy, it has been limited during covid.  When my friend lost her husband two years ago, during covid, and she was hunkering down, no one could give her a hug, and when we finally got together again, and I hugged her, she said she had needed a hug for the last two years.  She I will hug.  DH I will hug.  The cats I will hug.  

This morning, I need to get out and run some errands before starting work.  And there is that training class again at 6 tonight, which lasts too long.  But hey, I get paid for training....

Have a wonderful day every one, and the picture above is not our drinking squirrel, but imagine a small blue bottle top in his hands...

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 37

Good Morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report.  And thank you everyone for caring and sharing! Happy Friday!

It is 13 F here so the Drink of the Day sounds. I need to monitor Sam this morning while he is outside in the yard as his hips are causing him problems with the deep snow/ice that we still have. Very unstable with his rear legs.

Stay safe!

- Jack

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I envy your weather today as it's 13F here with a wind chill of 2.  I'll be out to the mall to walk soon, waiting until I can see any patches of ice on the roads but leaving the mall before there are many people there.

Roy

Thank you Roy.

We are in York today.

Graham.

IMG_20220121_123549.jpg

IMG_20220121_123736.jpg

IMG_20220121_123341.jpg

IMG_20220121_122157.jpg

• Like 36
  • Thanks 5

Just when I thought the gremlins were giving me a break….

a very quick post. Another weird attempt to post pics from my iPad. 

The Winter series continues… will it ever end?

A36C139F-5396-4625-9CA2-C61E413E845C.jpeg.3a2a4091c1e108eb49cec2aabdbfc9a7.jpeg

3D2D9112-407F-4880-9486-3A44799FE944.jpeg.ccd168a241ba026fb3245f16bed61540.jpeg

4530BCE1-F2FC-4B95-B2E1-F65BD3A4B045.jpeg.a59e5bc4ab8babae1e6c6a707dd0a6f5.jpeg

Praying for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Today’s wine has an excellent rating and a reasonable price. Another one I would love to taste. Several online distributors with prices starting at $14.99.

Winemaker Notes

Intense ruby red in appearance. On the nose, notes of vanilla and fresh tobacco leaf. Round in the mouth, fleshy, balanced, aromatic and with a persistent aftertaste. This wine is ideal with grilled meats, pasta, tomato sauces and vegetables.

WE90 Wine Enthusiast

This crianza feels flush while displaying agility. Earthy berry and cherry aromas are spicy and show a note of tobacco. Flavors of dark plum and berry fruits are backed by a hint of café mocha. The wine keeps its form across a dry and steady finish. Best Buy

• Like 36
  • Thanks 7

Good morning everyone. It’s 15 degrees and I’m missing my winter in Florida. We are huggers here and Sam has a bunch of new sweat pants. Love today’s quote because music touches the soul. Squirrels , not so much. My parents were away one winter for two months and a squirrel came down the chimney, ate through the carpet and the wood stair banister and died under the couch. It was a mess. 
Today, we have the second of three new aides. The one we had yesterday will work three or four days and they have a man scheduled for three days. He doesn’t come till Sunday.

The men ruined my pots but/good. Scratched up and burnt food that doesn’t come out.Hopefully, the new man will be OK. They don’t clean or know their way around the kitchen.

Stay safe out there,

Carol

• Like 29
  • Thanks 4