The Daily for Sunday 02/13/2022

richwmn

Super Bowl Sunday

Today is Get a Different Name Day, National Wingman Day, and World Marriage Day

The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference.--Elie Wiesel

Meal Suggestion for today - chicken tacos
Drink of the Day - Autumn Tini
Wine of the Day - Columns Crest Grand Estates Merlot, Nestingion
Destination of the Day - Isla Robinson Crusoe, Chile

Ships With Passengers

At Sea Caribbean

Nieuw Amsterdam   Destination Puerto Plata (Ambe

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida

Nieuw Statendam   07:00 - 17:00
Rotterdam   07:00 - 16:00
Zuiderdam   07:00 - 17:00

Hilo, Hawaii

Koningsdam   08:00 - 18:00

Puerto Limon, Costa Rica

Eurodam   06:30 - 16:00

Ships Without Passengers

Cadiz SP

Volendam   Shipyard
Zaandam   Shipyard

Freeport BS

Noordam   Shipyard

Limassol CY

Oosterdam   Anchorage

Long Beach CA US

Westerdam   Anchorage

0213Caribbean.thumb.png.578b9aa398a0528d9fcdace559a8e7c6.png

0213NAmericaW.thumb.png.f0c5560ef45147e17665f7b43d61a8fd.png

0213Europe.thumb.png.ff78861b1cd8fc60c93cef1c4f320cec.png

• Like 31
  • Thanks 17

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.  Love those maps.🙂

We'll probably watch at least some of the "big game" not sure who to cheer for.  It's great that it is World Marriage Day after reading some of those heart warming stories posted in yesterday's thread.

Jim and I were set up on a blind date by 2 friends almost 40 years ago.   I guess that makes our friend a great wingman and I ended up getting a new name.  🙂

Great quote.

The meal sounds good.  I'm sure the drink and wine are tasty too.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of today's port.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a wonderful day.   Stay safe.

• Like 36
  • Haha 2

Good afternoon.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

Interesting days.

Our wives get a new name when they marry us.

Unusual quote.

Nice food .

Never been to today's port.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone.

Graham

IMG_20220213_101205.jpg

IMG_20220213_110357.jpg

IMG_20220213_123603.jpg

IMG_20220213_111717.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 40
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for today’s Daily Rich. A very rainy Sunday here. Bindi wasted no time on her morning walk. Need to hit the gym and do groceries.  Not sure what else I will do before the big game. 

The animal series continues…..

CF80F771-F5DB-4D53-9A95-C869B15B00D3.jpeg.0f4b0b184497422f7441ebc00455d6f7.jpeg

5F2F0CF7-2587-4052-9E4B-2AF0ABE8F9BB.jpeg.52da99f292f2d513e9b5ce368d51c503.jpeg

CCFDE1C3-0050-41F0-B8BD-A1E26D73A5A2.jpeg.7a1aec25d5db69479e41d9c537061dfd.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Columbia Crest Grand Estates Merlot
I am pitch hitting Columbia Crest for “Columns Crest”, since I could not find a wine with that name online. The 2018 is the last released vintage and both consumers and critics give it very good ratings. And a hard to beat price! Numerous online distributors with prices starting at $7.97.

Winemaker’s Notes
BLEND:
Mainly Merlot with small amount of Cabernet Sauvignon.
COLUMBIA VALLEY
2018 Grand Estates Merlot
VINTAGE NOTES
• 2018 was another stellar growing season and vintage in Washington.
• Warm spring temperatures were followed by mild conditions throughout the growing
season allowing for extended hang time and flavor development.
• Warm fall days allowed for full ripeness and color, while cool Washington nights helped
maintain crisp natural acidity.
VINEYARD NOTES
• Fruit was sourced from premier vineyard sites throughout the Columbia Valley, including
the Horse Heaven Hills and the Wahluke Slope.
• Columbia Valley is mostly dry with less precipitation due to the rain shadow effect from
the surrounding Cascade Mountain range.
• Vineyards are 100% drip irrigation. This, combined with the low water-holding capacity
of the soil, allow for precise control of the vines.
WINEMAKING NOTES
• Grapes were crushed and then fermented 6-10 days on the skins.
• Malolactic fermentation occurred in stainless steel tanks and oak barrels. Blending
occurred immediately after fermentation.
• The wine aged predominately in oak barrels, both new and old French and American, for
approximately 14 months.
RECOMMENDED FOOD PAIRINGS
• Pair this wine with blue cheese, duck, beef, veal and dark chocolate.
TASTING NOTES
This merlot has a rich aromatic profile with notes of chocolate and dark cherries. The complex fruit flavors are followed by a smooth, velvety finish.
©2019 Columbia Crest Winery, Paterson, WA 99345

• Like 30
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 7

Thanks for the Super Bowl Sunday Daily, Rich

I won’t be watching (except Clyesdale commercials & maybe 1/2 time show) but I hope everyone who does enjoys a great game.

Interesting collection of days.  Looked up the get a different name day and it appears you can celebrate with name tags - so, maybe I will start to look at the design for our name tags for our Meet & Greet that is ever so far away 😉   From the posts yesterday on marriage I think we are all celebrating World Marriage Day every day 😉 

Love today’s quote.  Indifference does more damage than anything else IMO. DH would love that meal if he were here.  Today’s port is one that would be fun to go to.  I think it’s a tough one to tender to though IIRC.

Valentine’s Day hint for the men out there:

B4FB1F1A-9B8A-4611-9485-6706B8D19CE8.jpeg.db8fa2a824556cb5dc72bd542c45b56d.jpeg

DH has always joked I should open a flower shop. Well, I might not have that skill, but can definitely deliver flowers.  I wracked my brain trying to figure out how to get DH’s calla and tulips to him without them being damaged.  So, I put them in a box, then cans of gingerale (always take them for DH) next to them to keep them in place, placed the box in my biggest recyclable bag and then covered it with plastic.  The plants got there safely with nary a drop of water spilled.  Thankfully there is enough room on the window sill for them (hope it’s not too cold for them).

A64E1F8C-FAFB-4904-8DB6-91E6C1BCEC13.thumb.jpeg.b61be0ca96e46f504b210ce17eb282a1.jpeg

We are back to the cold today but it looks like most of the water dried up so hopefully the roads should be a-ok today.  I have to make the most of it since now all of a sudden, they are calling for another storm this afternoon.  Yup, another weekend storm 😡 Apparently NASA is even studying the storms around the Bay of Fundy to try to figure out why we are getting so much snow.  Sounds like a snowy Valentine’s.

CCE4D671-0946-437F-B9C9-A2B693024E4B.jpeg.4ee85c22937efd64702ecf35ec725103.jpeg

@grapau27women don’t always get a new name when they marry 😉. Some keep their maiden names.   A tradition I love in the Spanish culture is that the wife keeps her maiden name.   They do add the husband’s name but the wife’s maiden name is even passed down to the children.  Proud to say I upheld that tradition.  I legally have two last names.  Both are on my passport but at work I used my maiden name and socially, DH’s.  When you’ve built a career for many years, you don’t need to get into explanations on a new name 😉 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory list.

Have a good Super Bowl Sunday, everyone !!!!

8E9C4EDA-7F1A-4B7D-BB2F-FC23D8177E36.jpeg.af6fb19db84dfc1a229a89285464e568.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 14

Good morning.  Thank you Rich for the Daily.  Interesting group of days.  Will not be watching the super bowl nor the half time.  Have been married for almost 56 years so will celebrate Marriage Day.

Love Chicken taco's, looking forward to Debbie's recipes.

Have not been to today's destination.

Prayers and toasts to our lists. Thank you Roy.

Please continue to stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Autumn Tini:

Ingredients
2 parts Cruzan® Aged Light Rum
1 part DeKuyper® Hazelnut Schnapps Liqueur
3 parts Pear Nectar
Sugar
Cinnamon, Ground
Cayenne Pepper Mix

Instructions
In a martini shaker, mix the ingredients with ice and shake. Shake into a martini glass that has been rimmed with a Sugar/Cinnamon/Cayenne Pepper Mix.

Screen Shot 2022-02-13 at 7.07.38 AM.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 9

Good morning everyone from a snowy Boston.  Thanks for the daily report.  Nice collection of days today.  My Superbowl prediction is, lots of calories consumed.  Love the quote and the meal suggestion.  I’ll pass on the drink, a Springtini perhaps but I’m not dialing it back to the start of Winter!  I haven’t been to today’s port but will enjoy the pictures.  Prayers for everyone on today’s list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events!

• Like 27
  • Haha 1

Thank you for the Super Sunday Daily, Rich.  You're a bit early and I'm late.  Marriage Day is surely appropriate after all of yesterday's great stories.  @4966and556 was just a bit early celebrating get a Different name day but was spot on in Australia.  Thinking of wings, although not necessarily wingmen, I understand they are very expensive this year.  While not in a taco I'll be having chicken tonight as I work on emptying my refrigerator before Thursday.  I love the quote.  Isla Robinson Crusoe is a great destination although off the beaten path.  We went from spring to winter overnight with snow at least in the grass and almost a 30-degree drop in the temp.

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui Jose, the doctors and a happy remaining life for Marley
Welfare of furloughed crews
ger_77 DH Cardiac issues and cancelled cruise
Cruisin Terri autoimmune flareup and hand pain
Marshhawk awaiting surgery
Numerious dailyite friends and family with covid
From the rotation:
NextOne  DDIL with mystery illness
HAL Sailor DH health issues
MissG’s father hanging in for one more cruise
Vict0riann’s Cousin with ALS and DH with Alzheimers

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome abord 4966and 556
3 BHB in Everglades
6 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
Florida vacation for dobiemom
Hand appointment for Cruisin Terri
Grand Australia booked for durangoscots
6 days for DeeniEncinitas (Riviera to 2/19 to 3/8)
Bon Voyage ottahand7 (Nieuw Statendam to 3/6)
Bon Voyage  0106 {Zuiderdam to 2/27)
5 days for rafinmd (Enchantment OTS to 2/25)
 Cruiser Bill (Koningsdam to 2/20), lb4683  (Regal Princess to 2/19),  and Lady Hudson at sea (Enchantment OTS to 2/25)
Welcome home Highland Cruiser and Cruising single
HorizonChaser1957 to Palm Springs
Grandchild coming for Heartgrove
Great mattress for ger_77
ottahand7's brother free of covid and ready for knee replacement
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 31
  • Thanks 12

Good morning from SW Florida, low 50s and raining, only 71 today after a beautiful 82 yesterday . Hope everyone is well.

Interesting quote. 

We've been married 52+ years. Autunm Tini sounds like something I might try.

I too will not be watching the Super Bowl for various reasons.

We sail on the Rotterdam 5 weeks from today, 7 day cruise to the southern Caribbean.

Thanks for The Daily.

• Like 28

Good morning. I am sure DH will watch the game later but I will find an alternative. I will celebrate  World Marriage  Day  and enjoyed hearing about all of you yesterday. I had a very plain last name and traded it in twice. We had a good laugh at the grocery store when we saw the prices on the  chicken wings.It reinforces the production here of more vegetarian  meals.Today I am making spinach,mushroom and Swiss cheese quiches for the group.

It is snowing now but so far only on the trees.

20220213_071653.jpg

• Like 36
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. It’s snowing here too but sticking to the ground. If we get less than 2 inches no one comes to shovel. Last storm, they didn’t do a good job on my driveway and I had to pay the reluctant male aide to do it for me. I have a tiny driveway and if you want to park there you have to park across it so your car just fits.

A nurse who works for the long term care company is supposed to come this morning to evaluate Sam for the company to see if he still needs them to pay for his care. I have no idea where she’s coming from or if she’ll come because of the snow.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, kazu said:

@grapau27women don’t always get a new name when they marry 😉. Some keep their maiden names.   A tradition I love in the Spanish culture is that the wife keeps her maiden name.   They do add the husband’s name but the wife’s maiden name is even passed down to the children.  Proud to say I upheld that tradition.  I legally have two last names.  Both are on my passport but at work I used my maiden name and socially, DH’s.  When you’ve built a career for many years, you don’t need to get into explanations on a new name 😉

Thank you, that was very nicely stated. I married my husband after I had spent many years in my career, and was well known by my maiden name. I chose to keep it as all my degrees, diplomas and certificates were in my maiden name. In addition my naturalization papers were also in my maiden name.

Many years ago (after marriage) we travelled to Ireland on vacation, I had made all the arrangements and pre-payments. DH was frequently addressed as Mr "my maiden name" which amused him immensely!

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

In case anyone is wondering why I added @DeeniEncinitasto the celebration list she's a veteran of the Daily who has been "taking a break" from cruise critic (actually not estranged and not a full break but just a break from posting--she's been reading and liking but not actually posting).  She did post on her Bon Voyage yesterday but that was her first actual post in about 5 months.

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 9

25 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Super Sunday Daily, Rich.  You're a bit early and I'm late.  Marriage Day is surely appropriate after all of yesterday's great stories.  @4966and556 was just a bit early celebrating get a Different name day but was spot on in Australia.  Thinking of wings, although not necessarily wingmen, I understand they are very expensive this year.  While not in a taco I'll be having chicken tonight as I work on emptying my refrigerator before Thursday.  I love the quote.  Isla Robinson Crusoe is a great destination although off the beaten path.  We went from spring to winter overnight with snow at least in the grass and almost a 30-degree drop in the temp.

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui Jose, the doctors and a happy remaining life for Marley
Welfare of furloughed crews
ger_77 DH Cardiac issues and cancelled cruise
Cruisin Terri autoimmune flareup and hand pain
Marshhawk awaiting surgery
Numerious dailyite friends and family with covid
From the rotation:
NextOne  DDIL with mystery illness
HAL Sailor DH health issues
MissG’s father hanging in for one more cruise
Vict0riann’s Cousin with ALS and DH with Alzheimers

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome abord 4966and 556
3 BHB in Everglades
6 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
Florida vacation for dobiemom
Hand appointment for Cruisin Terri
Grand Australia booked for durangoscots
6 days for DeeniEncinitas (Riviera to 2/19 to 3/8)
Bon Voyage ottahand7 (Nieuw Statendam to 3/6)
Bon Voyage  0106 {Zuiderdam to 2/27)
5 days for rafinmd (Enchantment OTS to 2/25)
 Cruiser Bill (Koningsdam to 2/20), lb4683  (Regal Princess to 2/19),  and Lady Hudson at sea (Enchantment OTS to 2/25)
Welcome home Highland Cruiser and Cruising single
HorizonChaser1957 to Palm Springs
Grandchild coming for Heartgrove
Great mattress for ger_77
ottahand7's brother free of covid and ready for knee replacement
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

Graham.

• Like 16

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I've had many names since I first came into being; my birth name, my adopted name, at age 18 I legally changed my first name (I hated Geraldine), my married name.  Then when DH and I started doing crafts, the name of our company was my original birth name, which I have subsequently used as my FB name.  DH and I are each other's wingman; we'll celebrate 45 years of marriage this year after being introduced by a mutual acquaintance on a blind date.  He was 14 years older than me and most of his family didn't think we'd last a year.  Well, I guess we can blow them all a big raspberry, huh?

Happy Super Bowl Sunday to everyone who enjoys watching it.  I think I'll tape it and fast forward to to get to the ads and the half time show.

While settling in to watch sail-away yesterday, the doorbell rang and there stood a couple of friends we hadn't seen in a very long time with chocolates for us for Valentine's Day.  They have been triple vaxxed, only going out for groceries these past few months, so we felt comfortable inviting them in, and what a lovely time we had getting together again.  Thankfully I'd made a banana coffee cake earlier in the afternoon, so we shared coffee and treats and enjoyed being in their company once more.  

I'm sorry to hear that our friends in the Eastern part of the country are getting hit with cold temperatures and in @kazu's case, yet another storm.  We're sitting at a very comfortable -7C this morning, but of course, that can change on a dime, too.

Chicken tacos sounds like a great idea for dinner tonight. We've always got frozen chicken breasts on hand, and there are a couple of packages of tortilla shells in the fridge that can be put to good use today.  It'll be chicken tacos on our table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  We'll cheer on everyone who makes up the celebration list - which is longer than the care list - yay!  Stay well, wear your masks, get your boosters, wash your hands, be safe, and keep warm!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 42

Good morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report.  And thank you everyone for caring and sharing! Have a great Sunday!

It's going to be a girl !!!  My first granddaughter.

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 51
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

Interesting collection of days. I celebrate Marriage Day every day.

I like the meal, but tacos are not on our Superbowl menu.

We will watch the 🏈 game and commercials, but not the half time show.

Yesterday was a long day, but it was nice to visit with family.

I enjoyed reading all of your stories about how you met your spouse. 

Going to clear off DMIL's tables so the food can be put on them later. Then I'll check back in to see what the rest of my Daily friends are up to today.

@grapau27 Graham, thank you again for the sermon. Not assuming is something we should practice each day.

Wishing everyone a SUPER Sunday.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1