Are the newer ships designed to prevent jumpers/falls?

Eli_6

I noticed on the Vista and many other ships that they have a low deck with high siding that circles the ship. So, if you jump, you would fall on to a deck...unless you are in a cove balcony. Now I wonder if this is why...

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

I noticed on the Vista and many other ships that they have a low deck with high siding that circles the ship. So, if you jump, you would fall on to a deck...unless you are in a cove balcony. Now I wonder if this is why...

I think it's just so they can get more open deck space. Jumpers are so rare I doubt they really play into the design of ships, other than railings.

• Like 4

On 2/18/2022 at 1:54 PM, Eli_6 said:

If cruise ships were designed with suicidal jumpers in mind NONE of us would enjoy the open air again and the cruise lines would stop building them. That has never been a consideration in design (safety always is, preventing people from being themselves is not).

• Like 4

On 2/18/2022 at 4:54 PM, Eli_6 said:

While your chances of survival without injury when jumping from a height into the water is not great, it is far higher than landing on a steel deck, with structural protrusions from a height.  Ever notice that when doing a medical evacuation, once the basket is a few feet above the deck, the helicopter moves away from the ship and continues the winching over the water?

• Like 3

I think suicide prevention  is a ridiculous idea with regard to designing a cruise ship.   Of course, I can see high enough railings (as we have now), to prevent legit accidents , but let's face it .. if someone is intent on throwing themselves off a ship, where there's a will, there's a way. 

What would be next?  Ban alcohol?  That's dangerous too, right?   

Edited by F27TW
  • Like 5

In the 20 years period of 2000-2019, there were 630 deaths reported on cruise ships.  Of that number 20% (126) were (passenger/crew inclusive) suicides/jumpers.   A few million people sailed during that same period.   Adding millions of dollars to design/build costs for a number that isn't even a statistical blip is unwarranted.

Then again, there is the crowd who seem to think people are jumping from cruise ships daily.  😐

Had a recent exchange with someone who said her "Cabin girl" to her people are always going on cruises just commit suicide.🤣  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, F27TW said:

I think suicide prevention  is a ridiculous idea with regard to designing a cruise ship.   Of course, I can see high enough railings (as we have now), to prevent legit accidents , but let's face it .. if someone is intent on throwing themselves off a ship, where there's a will, there's a way. 

There is a certain segment of society demanding that cruise lines 'closer regulate'  (yes, actual words used) who is being served and how often.   

I would say deck railings have gotten higher in recent years.  Not specifically for jumpers, but safety in general.  Take for example the Spirit class on her back lido deck vs Mardi Gras on her back pool deck.  First 2 pics are Pride.  3rd and 4th pics are Mardi Gras.  Glass is definitely about 18" or more higher.

845771436456733.webp

389171393973770.webp

CarDec-41361-1631146579.webp

CarDec-85365-1631145075.webp

Edited by bstel
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, pr8hd said:

Then again, there is the crowd who seem to think people are jumping from cruise ships daily.  😐

Had a recent exchange with someone who said her "Cabin girl" to her people are always going on cruises just commit suicide.🤣  

Always huh? Exaggerating much? Wonder if the cabin girl really said that. However if you wanna plan in advance I guess there are worse places to call it a wrap, notwithstanding the horrific impact to everyone else. 

I did notice a lot of very high glass on Mardi Gras as well, however. 

217D02C8-E854-4AAD-8FCB-7519AD0DBCAF.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KmomChicago said:

And, as Pyrate says, a lot of this is to reduce wind on the open deck, so that there is less possibility of plastic items being blown overboard, causing more headaches for Carnival Corp in court.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

Always huh? Exaggerating much? Wonder if the cabin girl really said that. However if you wanna plan in advance I guess there are worse places to call it a wrap, notwithstanding the horrific impact to everyone else. 

As others have noted.  The higher glass is likely for wind/spray protection and as Chengkp75 noted, litter/pollution reduction.  

So far as the 'Cabin girl' story:  The OP on that one became very defensive 🤬 when questioned on her claim of 600+ jumpers.  Never met a Cabin Attendant/Steward with time for idle conversation with passengers.  Adding to that, pretty sure there's a corporate list of topics/subjects not to be discussed with passengers.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, F27TW said:

Park rangers in the Grand Canyon find cars parked in secured areas frequently due to suicides.  Can't stop visitors to the parks.  

• 8 months later...

Certainly helps with liability. They only say people "fall" because they are being respectful and worried about PR, which is honestly a smart move. Falling sounds nicer than jumping (accident and unforeseeable vs foreseeable). They also help with wind on decks and also act as plausible deniability for conditions in which someone could theoretically fall. Kinda of hard to clear the wind screens and claim someone fell. People do actually fall, whether people believe it or not, happens in tall hotels/condos/apartments with balconies as well and usually involves alcohol and poor decisions like sitting on the rail, doing handstands, puking over the side, horseplay, climbing between rooms etc. I think the over the water locations will get fewer and be limited to non cabin decks simply for liability.