R.I.P. Cruise Compass on Navigator of the Seas

seychelle

2 minutes ago, cruisinsusin said:

No - they are planning on discontinuing the printing of the daily Compass and are directing anyone who asks to the app. The kiosks have signs taped to them directing to the app

Ok, thanks for your reply too! 

21 minutes ago, DJLDRUMS said:

Wont the Cruise Compass be available on the many kiosks strategically located in hallways and near the elevators?

No they weren't.  Covid precautions.  No paper in those kiosks.

3 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

Remember that the junk mail is for outsourced vendors (spa, art auction, onboard shops) and most likely print / distribution is part of Royal's revenue stream.

Remember, that as  paying customers we are  the most important part of Royal's revenue stream and they need to take our preferences into consideration.

Don't force me to drag my phone around the ship - some may want to do that, but many don't.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, mugtech said:

They told us that for our convenience the programs can be printed online before we go to the ballpark. They also bragged about saving trees.  

Bragging about saving trees while everyone had to print their own out. Does this even make sense on any level?

SMH

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

No they weren't.  Covid precautions.  No paper in those kiosks.

Actually I was referring to the sign boards located in some hallways by the elevators where you can check the daily activities. Not areas to pick up paper Compasses.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DJLDRUMS said:

Actually I was referring to the sign boards located in some hallways by the elevators where you can check the daily activities. Not areas to pick up paper Compasses.

Got it.  Sometimes those don't work as well.  Also can't read them in your cabin, etc.  TV only helps a bit.

1 hour ago, mugtech said:

That is everybody's answer.  The local AAA baseball team, the Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs, stopped giving out free programs.  They told us that for our convenience the programs can be printed online before we go to the ballpark. They also bragged about saving trees.  Nothing was said about the lost revenue for the local print shop.

If you print them at home instead of the ball team printing them, how is that saving trees?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I only read them here a few weeks before my cruise.  My DW will not like this.  

Paper is recyclable why do we care if we print on it.  It has no use at all without being printed.  I mean we could wrap it around fish and then discard it, but that really isn’t a good use.

Waste…. Is just people shaming others for doing something useful

jmho and ymmv

jc

• Like 1

While I don't really care for the layout of the app to find events, you can click on most events and add them to your calendar making it easier to see what you've planned for the day.  Also, you will get a notification alert on your phone for each calendar item.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mek said:

Remember, that as  paying customers we are  the most important part of Royal's revenue stream and they need to take our preferences into consideration.

Don't force me to drag my phone around the ship - some may want to do that, but many don't.

I agree regarding wanting paper copies of the cruise compass.  My post was regarding the junk mail.

7 hours ago, BND said:

I'm waiting for the "but not everyone has a smart phone" crowd.  But, this is news as no one else has reported it so far.

🤔 What’s wrong with the not everyone has a smart phone crowd? Not everyone has one.

6 hours ago, fliprcruiser said:

Currently on the Allure, and they are discontinued here as well. 

When we were on last month we were told we could ask for them so our cabin attendant left one every night. Are they not giving that choice anymore?

4 hours ago, njkruzer said:

Maybe if they get enough complaints they'll get the message. 

It would be nice. They did it with the crystal blocks.

2 hours ago, davekathy said:

My wife prefers to read the Cruise Compass in our cabin in bed the evening before. 

We also like to read them the night before to plan the next day.

I don't like carrying my phone all around the ship with me. To do that, I have to carry a purse as well since I don't have pockets on many of my clothes that can hold the phone in place. That's why I like the daily compass. If I leave it behind somewhere, I can get another.  Losing a phone is something much more bothersome.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, davekathy said:

My wife prefers to read the Cruise Compass in our cabin in bed the evening before. 

This is me exactly. I am more than capable of using the app and find it to have its uses but reading the next day's Compass in bed before going to sleep is a ritual and a part of my overall cruise experience that I paticularly enjoy. 

AND I save them up and take them home as a souvenir. 

I would be very sad to see them go away forever.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, FionaMG said:

AND I save them up and take them home as a souvenir. 

YES! Not only a souvenir but what we did and didn't do, liked and didn't like. I make notes on mine for future reference. I plan on taking an old flip phone on our next cruise to show how antiquated we are and give me a paper copy.

• Like 4

Recently retired,the factory I last worked in obviously had super intelligent individuals working as 'eco warriors',they would walk around the place handing out pieces of paper to everyone with a simple but important message...'Save The Rainforests....THINK BEFORE YOU PRINT'!

You can guess where they ended up!😂😂😂😂(the paper not the idiots sadly!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, sailor05 said:

Don't know why they couldn't have a scrolling daily planner on the tv? 

That still doesn't help a lot of us. We carry a copy with us. If we're looking for an activity during the day, we can refer to the compass. We got to the show every night. When we get out of the show, we like to head for another activity. Having a copy of the Compass with us makes it easier to find out what our options are.

• Like 2

We remember back when there was a shipboard newspaper delivered to your stateroom each morning on Celebrity. 

It had major news stories from the various wire services, weather for some of the U.S. cities, major sport's results and was great to go along with your room service breakfasts.

Now there are several news networks on your stateroom TV. 

• Thanks 1