Embarkation Lunch Inquiries

gkthorn

Wanted to know if there are any other places to each lunch besides the buffet on embarkation day?

We recently went on a Carnival Cruise and on their embarkation day they had the Italian Restaurant and JiJi's kind of a build your own Ramen on embarkation day.

We were hoping the same may be awarded for princess.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Glenn

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gkthorn said:

Wanted to know if there are any other places to each lunch besides the buffet on embarkation day?

Are you sailing on a particular ship? One of the MDR’s will be open on embarkation day usually from 12 to 1:30 but depending on the ship there may be other options we could suggest.

Edited by KLM3164
  • Like 1

There usually is an embarkation lunch, but they don't publicize it and try to send everyone to the buffet. A good alternative is Alfredo's, if there's one on your ship, since there's a good variety of Italian food and pizza. The other option is to use the app to order food and drinks wherever you're at, which I've found is a good way to avoid overeating at the buffet before dinner. 

• Like 4

Crew will do everything to get pax to the buffet instead of to the MDR for embarkation lunch.  At least one dining room is open from 12-1;30.  Plenty of other places to eat though, pizza, burgers, room service, international cafe, can't even begin to name them all.  

• Like 2

Besides the MDR open around noon to 1:30.

Buffet

Gill & Pizza by the Lido pool.

International Cafe.

Alfredo on Royal Class ships as well as the Grand & Sapphire.

Ocean Now app for ordering food may be operational, not sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skynight said:

Alfredo on Royal Class ships...

On the more recent Royal Class ships (Enchanted Princess and Sky Princess), Alfredo's has been renamed to Gigi's with the same menu as Alfredo's.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, rj59 said:

There usually is an embarkation lunch, but they don't publicize it and try to send everyone to the buffet. A good alternative is Alfredo's, if there's one on your ship, since there's a good variety of Italian food and pizza. The other option is to use the app to order food and drinks wherever you're at, which I've found is a good way to avoid overeating at the buffet before dinner. 

Shhh don't tell anyone  🙂

Cheers

• Like 2

4 hours ago, capriccio said:

On the more recent Royal Class ships (Enchanted Princess and Sky Princess), Alfredo's has been renamed to Gigi's with the same menu as Alfredo's.

Unfortunately the food isn't as good on the Enchanted as it was on the Regal or Royal. We've tried it 2 times and went back to the DR .

4 hours ago, capriccio said:

We know that Alfredo’s was named after former head executive chef Alfredo Marzi…who is Gigi? 

• Like 1

I ws on the Caribbean, March 6th cruise.  I asked as we got on board what dining room was open for lunch - the answer was none.  But you could go to the International Cafe, get pizza or burgers/tacos, etc at the grill in addition to the buffet.

18 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Usually one of the main dining rooms are open from 12 PM until 1:30 PM. The beef tenderloin, salmon, and grilled vegetable appetizer are all very good.

I am almost positive there will be no beef tenderloin at lunch. We went days in a row with no sign of beef on the dinner menu. Out of 15 days there were maybe 4 times they there was prime rib or steak.  Absolutely nothing like that at lunch.  Really, really sad how their menus have gone downhill. 
We also arrived at port before 11 and by the time we were bussed to Covid tests and then had to wait a really long time for results and then be bussed back, it was 1:30 by the time we got on the ship.  No dining room lunch that day. 

Edited by jeno
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, rj59 said:

On the Grand Princess at the top of the gang plank there used to be a person directing people to the MDR that was open for lunch. Of course you had to arrive early enough to board while lunch was still being served.

38 minutes ago, jeno said:

I am almost positive there will be no beef tenderloin at lunch. We went days in a row with no sign of beef on the dinner menu. Out of 15 days there were maybe 4 times they there was prime rib or steak.  Absolutely nothing like that at lunch.  Really, really sad how their menus have gone downhill. 
We also arrived at port before 11 and by the time we were bussed to Covid tests and then had to wait a really long time for results and then be bussed back, it was 1:30 by the time we got on the ship.  No dining room lunch that day. 

It is always on the embarkation lunch menu and I will be surprised if it is no longer there.  It was on the menu when we cruised three months ago.  

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Genessa said:

I ws on the Caribbean, March 6th cruise.  I asked as we got on board what dining room was open for lunch - the answer was none.  But you could go to the International Cafe, get pizza or burgers/tacos, etc at the grill in addition to the buffet.

What time did you board? There is usually one MDR open from 12 PM until 1:30 PM.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genessa said:

I ws on the Caribbean, March 6th cruise.  I asked as we got on board what dining room was open for lunch - the answer was none.  

That's always the answer, if you ask. So, don't ask. Just go to deck 6 & check (IIRC it's usually 6). If that's not it, walk down a flight to 5.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

What time did you board? There is usually one MDR open from 12 PM until 1:30 PM.

We boarded around 12:15.  I know there is usually one open, not advertised, which was why I asked.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

That's always the answer, if you ask. So, don't ask. Just go to deck 6 & check (IIRC it's usually 6). If that's not it, walk down a flight to 5.

I've been on many Princess cruises.  I ask.  This was the first time I was ever told that there was no MDR open.  I have no reason to believe that they were lying to me.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

It is always on the embarkation lunch menu and I will be surprised if it is no longer there.  It was on the menu when we cruised three months ago.  

My DH has gotten those beef medallions for the embarkation lunch several times since the return to service.  It's still there, at least it has been on the Ruby, Majestic and the Grand.  The person that complained must have hit an odd sailing.  I'm sure there could be some supply chain issues.  

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Genessa said:

I've been on many Princess cruises.  I ask.  This was the first time I was ever told that there was no MDR open.  I have no reason to believe that they were lying to me.   

I've been on many Princess cruises and sorry to say but they were lying to you.

Before I learned to check the Patter or walk to one of the dining rooms, I asked about lunch in the dining room ( learned it here on CC) and they told me no, go to the buffet. I knew they were wrong so I went to one of the dining rooms and sure enough they were open 12:00-1:30 and a nice, sit down lunch to start the cruise in a relaxed way. Now I just always find the dining room for lunch.

ETA: They may have not had it in the DR during the restart so I can't comment on that.

Edited by tonit964
added Info
  • Like 3