Covid outbreak on the Ruby

Optotronics

14 minutes ago, Ombud said:

What is the daily food $$ amount?? Thai ran us $14pp + tx + tip Friday. Breakfast is often $10. So it needs to be fairly hefty ..... 

The food allowance is $100 pp/per day.

Costs would be the absolute LEAST of my concerns if I were in a quarantine situation. 

Edited by julia
  • Like 4

34 minutes ago, Ombud said:

There's the "symptomatic" range which goes from worst flu-like ever

Then we have a first-hand report of a symptomatic case making the statement in the newspaper article wrong.  That's all I'm sayin'.  I just read over and over and over again in all sorts of contexts of "all cases being asymptomatic or mild".  But this simply cannot be true.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Then we have a first-hand report of a symptomatic case making the statement in the newspaper article wrong.  That's all I'm sayin'.  I just read over and over and over again in all sorts of contexts of "all cases being asymptomatic or mild".  But this simply cannot be true.

I'm sorry that you are so sick so far from your regular MD. Have you called their office to see who they would recommend you contact in SF for care?

20 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

Gee, I sure do long for the fall of 2020 when I was paying $1.58/gallon. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Wow… we haven’t seen those prices here since I’ve been a teenager and that was decades ago.  
I long for a reasonable price on gasoline as well.  $3 a gallon would make me oh so happy!  
Everything goes down in price including groceries and food in restaurants.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Optotronics said:

My wife never tested positive supposedly, so it might have been a cold or allergies for her. She going to the rooftop garden to get fresh air (wearing n95) and take some pictures.
I’m not going anywhere outside this room… about the time I do the cdc will show up;)

as for princess customer care, I’ll call them when we get home and see about them paying for the hotel and food.

then use our travel insurance to cover the airline flight back home and extra parking.

I think if they really cared about their “customer care” they wouldn’t have dropped all the testing and mask enforcement and wouldn’t have sent people shivering from Covid out to wait at the curb for an hour for transport to the hotel… or even made a priority to get those stuck in their quarantine cabins food and drink in a timely manner.

You keep saying they dropped all testing but they are still requiring a negative covid test at embarkation.  I just want to clarify for the people that may read this and think they won't have to get a covid test before boarding.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MJSailors said:

Some posters have encouraged you to call your family physician and give the details of your symptoms. The doctor may be able to order medication that would lessen lingering side effects from Covid. Your home doctor may also request that you go to an Urgent Care facility to get medical assistance. This may also apply to your wife who now seems to be experiencing symptoms. The front desk should also be able to direct you to such a facility as the hotel is accepting Covid guests.

The SF Chronicle article says in part:

The statement said the Ruby Princess was in compliance with CDC and San Francisco established rules and regulations, which also include a requirement that cruise companies have private agreements with medical facilities to treat COVID-19 passengers and crew if needed.

So Princess should be able to provide the contact info for an appropriate health facility.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, GatorGirl1313 said:

You keep saying they dropped all testing but they are still requiring a negative covid test at embarkation.  I just want to clarify for the people that may read this and think they won't have to get a covid test before boarding.  

And also, should make others aware that Princess is letting passengers from previous cruise stay onboard and in quarantine.

not critical of anyone here,  I just did not understand the protocols I read I guess.

I expect when I board All others will have produced a negative Covid test.  If already on-board positive Covid, that they would disembark.

calling Princess tomorrow 

8 minutes ago, caribill said:

The SF Chronicle article says in part:

The statement said the Ruby Princess was in compliance with CDC and San Francisco established rules and regulations, which also include a requirement that cruise companies have private agreements with medical facilities to treat COVID-19 passengers and crew if needed.

So Princess should be able to provide the contact info for an appropriate health facility.

Great!! So the poor sick passenger isn't abandoned at the hotel. A 2nd opinion re: severity should be easy to get. At least Princess is not involved in that step, seems their hands are full

3 hours ago, IJustWantToGo36 said:

Since Ruby has removed all (or almost all) of their POSITIVE pax.....why has the CDC color not been reset to GREEN?

If I remember correctly, the cruise company is also supposed to report all passengers who end up with Covid that was not diagnosed within x days after leaving the ship.

Not that Princess is following up on those cases, but status can be affected by those who caught the virus on the cruise and did not discover it until after the cruise.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IJustWantToGo36 said:

Since Ruby has removed all (or almost all) of their POSITIVE pax.....why has the CDC color not been reset to GREEN?

The CDC color status counts positive cases over the last 7 days. GREEN would mean 0 new positives on the ship for an entire week, which obviously isn't the case.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Optotronics said:

They did have a couple ambulances waiting, but didn’t see anyone rolled out.

on the 2nd formal night we went to the stardust show and you could tell they replaced a couple of show people with others who didn’t know what was going and made for a lack of coordination in the show. They must have been off boarded in Panama because we saw lots of baggage when we were getting on the tenders.

I wondered about this also.  The show was missing a male singer and a bunch of male dancers.  I wondered what happened!

I find it interesting for those that have tested positive onboard a Princess ship for Covid or negative and A roommate of a positive person You were taken to a Princess approved hotel & some have gone outside the hotel for fresh air,etc.or have been in the elevators,the hallways or lobby.

The letter says to isolate in hotel room. So how is a negative person for Covid allowed to wander in a hotel, but their roommate is positive? It doesn’t make any sense to me. But sounds like nobody’s really checking and it’s an honor system.

All of it frustrating,but seems as if some instructions were given??

Did I miss something?

Are you given hotel keys to get in and out of your room? I know when Hawaii started way back when their  quarantine if you left your room you were locked out and then that voided your quarantine. 

Edited by arizonaperson
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, caribill said:

If I remember correctly, the cruise company is also supposed to report all passengers who end up with Covid that was not diagnosed within x days after leaving the ship.

Not that Princess is following up on those cases, but status can be affected by those who caught the virus on the cruise and did not discover it until after the cruise.

How is Princess or any other cruise line supposed to do that?  We've taken 2 cruises this year and haven't received any instructions to self report.  Even if instructions were given, how much credence can be given to people self reporting.  Do they need to provide test results?  What if they self test? 

DH and I, along with my 2 brothers and their spouses disembarked the Enchanted Princess on March 20th.  While on board we wore masks in the theater, in Take 5, and the elevators.  We also had a table for 6 in the MDR, Sabatinis, and the Bistro (much easier to do with a group than a couple) that was socially distanced from the closest table.  On excursions we wore masks on all local transportation and our excursions were outdoors. 

Nonetheless, on disembarkation evening (March 20th) one of my DBs started feeling congested and his wife said she had headache that had begun the night before.  He self tested positive on the 22nd while his wife tested negative.  My DH and I plus our other DB and his spouse self tested negative. His symptoms were minor and he started feeling better by the 24th.  She didn't feel better and retested negative on the 26th and positive this morning.  She is finally starting to feel better.  She described it as more of an annoyance now than a pain.  They both are grateful that they are fully vaccinated and boosted,

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, arizonaperson said:

I find it interesting for those that have tested positive onboard a Princess ship for Covid or negative and A roommate of a positive person You were taken to a Princess approved hotel & some have gone outside the hotel for fresh air,etc.or have been in the elevators,the hallways or lobby.

The letter says to isolate in hotel room. So how is a negative person for Covid allowed to wander in a hotel, but their roommate is positive? It doesn’t make any sense to me. But sounds like nobody’s really checking and it’s an honor system.

All of it frustrating,but seems as if some instructions were given??

Did I miss something?

Are you given hotel keys to get in and out of your room? I know when Hawaii started way back when their  quarantine if you left your room you were locked out and then that voided your quarantine. 

I haven’t left the room, but my negative tested wife has because we need water, ice, tissue and wash clothes….

to be able to remain in quarantine, you have to have a support system of people to supply you with essentials. There is no one here to guard or check on anyone because princess didn’t provide it. No one comes to the room to clean anything. 
the idea is that to remain in quarantine, you have to have someone getting you the essentials 

If we had someone in the hotel to call and bring ice or water or any of those others thinnga we would. They don’t have room service, so if you want ice or anything else you do it yourself.

they Will leave fresh towels toilet paper and soap, extra pillows at the door, but that’s it.

Edited by Optotronics
Added content
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Optotronics said:

I haven’t left the room, but my negative tested wife has because we need water, ice, tissue and wash clothes….

to be able to remain in quarantine, you have to have a support system of people to supply you with essentials. There is no one here to guard or check on anyone because princess didn’t provide it. No one comes to the room to clean anything. 
the idea is that to remain in quarantine, you have to have someone getting you the essentials 

If we had someone in the hotel to call and bring ice or water or any of those others thinnga we would. They don’t have room service, so if you want ice or anything else you do it yourself.

they Will leave fresh towels toilet paper and soap, extra pillows at the door, but that’s it.

So I'm assuming Princess set up the room reservation for you?  But what if you lived close enough to rent a car and drive home when you felt sufficiently better to do so - is there really anyone keeping you in the room other than your own self awareness and good conscious?  Obviously not really socially acceptable but it would save princess money and its not that much different than half the people I see at a drug store hacking and coughing or perusing the cough and cold meds aisle.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, capriccio said:

How is Princess or any other cruise line supposed to do that?  We've taken 2 cruises this year and haven't received any instructions to self report.  Even if instructions were given, how much credence can be given to people self reporting.  Do they need to provide test results?  What if they self test? 

People are supposed to self report which would include disclosing recent travel.  This is the language from the CDC site but some states have specific guidance on how to go about this.

"

Do I need to report the results from my self-test?
CDC strongly encourages everyone who uses a self-test to report any positive results to their healthcare provider. Healthcare providers can ensure that those who have tested positive for COVID-19 receive the most appropriate medical care, including specific treatments if necessary.

In most jurisdictions, healthcare providers who diagnose COVID-19 are required to report those cases to public health.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/testing/self-testing.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Optotronics said:

I am surprised no one has been in touch with you.  Hoping tomorrow is a better day!

42 minutes ago, Cruisingawayfromthesnow! said:

I am surprised no one has been in touch with you.  Hoping tomorrow is a better day!

Shame on Princess for treating you like this!!! I’m really shocked that Princess seemed so unprepared for all this. After all the bragging they have been doing.     They should have flown in extra help that morning in San Francisco .  They had @ least 24 hours notice.  Then off to the pier & started helping wherever they could. Especially those people in quarantine .  They should have assigned one person for every 4 quarantined person to stay at their hotels with them and get whatever they needed .

This does not look good for Princess.   Where the H….. is their PR people.  This was a good chance to redeem themselves.  They blew it!!!!

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Ronnieslady said:

This does not look good for Princess.   Where the H….. is their PR people.  This was a good chance to redeem themselves.  They blew it!!!!

You will not like what I'm about to say, but the PR people did an incredible job.

They put out a press release, that effectively ended the story.

The only people that know about the hotel situation, and the problems on the ship, are CC members reading this or similar threads.

Reality- not that many.

PS- this does not mean I agree with the methods, but this is what PR is paid for.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, capriccio said:

How is Princess or any other cruise line supposed to do that? 

People who test positive within 5 days of disembarkation with the results being sent to a local or state health department with the info the person had disembarked from a cruise ship is the reporting method and then the health department notifies the CDC. The cruise company is not involved. (Yes, not a snowball's chance in h---- of this ever working.)

The CDC wording :This percentage may include passenger cases occurring within 5 days of disembarkation if state or local health departments notified CDC of these cases.