Jump to content

Flying in on Day of Cruise


Nashto
 Share

Recommended Posts

My parents plan to fly into Boston for their cruise on the day of. They're plans lands at 1:30. They sail away is 5:30. Do you think I should encourage them to change their flight?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes.  Suggest that they arrive at least a day before their cruise.  There is much to see and enjoy in Boston.  They will have no trouble finding some attractions that will be of interest.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Nashto said:

My parents plan to fly into Boston for their cruise on the day of. They're plans lands at 1:30. They sail away is 5:30. Do you think I should encourage them to change their flight?

Bad idea. Always fly in at least one day early (two is preferable) since all sorts of stuff can derail them from ground transport issues to flight delays/cancellations (and rebooking difficulty) to missed connections to lost luggage. And the ship will not wait for them!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, I’d absolutely change it to the day before. It gives you no room for error at all. I’ve had luggage lost, plane delayed, etc…. Always fly the day before! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Nashto said:

My parents plan to fly into Boston for their cruise on the day of. 

 

Do your parents like to live dangerously? Why do I have a funny feeling this was a very frugal financial decision that will turn out badly? Remember, you have to be on board at least one hour prior to the sail away time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Considering the recent flight cancellations in the news, it's quite the risk to fly in the day of as getting a replacement flight to arrive in time is going to be nearly impossible.  I would absolutely try to fly in the day before, especially if the flight is any decent distance.  I flew to Miami from New York the day before my recent cruise.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, kelkel2 said:

Yes, I’d absolutely change it to the day before. It gives you no room for error at all. I’ve had luggage lost, plane delayed, etc…. Always fly the day before! 

Not always. For example: For  intercontinental flights with connections (book with minimum 3 hour layover), plan for at least 2 nights in the cruise embarkation city. You will enjoy the “peace of mind” and “problem buffer” that comes with that decision.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, donaldsc said:

In addition to the other posts of how bad this idea is, just remember that if sail away is 5:30, they have to be on board the ship by 4:00, not 5:30.

 

DON

And that means they must be checked in and on the ship by 4pm, not walking into the terminal.  EM

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/17/2022 at 10:47 AM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Not always. For example: For  intercontinental flights with connections (book with minimum 3 hour layover), plan for at least 2 nights in the cruise embarkation city. You will enjoy the “peace of mind” and “problem buffer” that comes with that decision.

Sure, absolutely. If it’s international I’d definitely consider longer than the day before. I was thinking more like never even consider the day of the cruise. It’s just asking for trouble. And coming from someone who’s luggage didn’t make it to our destination, I was panicking. Thankfully delta got it to us, but we were stressed. Neither my mine or my husband’s luggage made it so cross packing wouldn’t have mattered either. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/16/2022 at 10:42 AM, Nashto said:

My parents plan to fly into Boston for their cruise on the day of. They're plans lands at 1:30. They sail away is 5:30. Do you think I should encourage them to change their flight?

 

 

I don't have the same fears as others about flying in the day of a cruise.  But arriving at 1:30 for a 5:30 departure is, IMO, cutting it too close.   So, yeah, adjusting the flight would be a good idea.  

 

Let us know who it goes.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, ldubs said:

 

 

I don't have the same fears as others about flying in the day of a cruise.  But arriving at 1:30 for a 5:30 departure is, IMO, cutting it too close.   So, yeah, adjusting the flight would be a good idea.  

 

Let us know who it goes.  

Common sense and fear are quite different things.🤔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Common sense and fear are quite different things.🤔

 

Huh, they are not mutually exclusive.  Much common sense comes from fear of an undesired outcome, like a missed cruise.   And, clearly I did not use the word to imply any kind of lack of courage but instead more like anxiety.  No need to pick bones.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Yes. Their flight is scheduled to arrive at 1:30. Even with just carryon luggage, this is a too tight time frame. If the plane is a second late, if the luggage isn't the first off, if they get a cab immediately and there's no traffic in Boston -- which doesn't happen -- they won't have a second to spare.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Lilactime said:

Yes. Their flight is scheduled to arrive at 1:30. Even with just carryon luggage, this is a too tight time frame. If the plane is a second late, if the luggage isn't the first off, if they get a cab immediately and there's no traffic in Boston -- which doesn't happen -- they won't have a second to spare.  

 

You left out "if there isn't a minor accident anywhere on the route between the airport and the cruise port".  Finally, I may have missed it but did the OP say if their flight was non stop or that they have to change planes.

 

DON

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/16/2022 at 1:42 PM, Nashto said:

My parents plan to fly into Boston for their cruise on the day of. They're plans lands at 1:30. They sail away is 5:30. Do you think I should encourage them to change their flight?

No, I think you should tell them to change their flight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lots of questions…

Did they book the flight with the cruise ship company? 
Did they book a transfer from the airport to the ship with the cruise company?

if so, then they should be fine.  If their flight is delayed or cancelled and they booked these with the cruise company my understanding is the cruise company will get them on board….they might miss a port though. 
 

Are they retired?  If so, why put themselves through the stress of wondering if they are going to make it.  Fly in the day before, stay at a hotel that has airport and cruise port shuttles, relax, have a nice dinner and leisurely breakfast before catching the shuttle to the ship.  Their trip starts a day early. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/25/2022 at 11:10 PM, ldubs said:

 

 

I don't have the same fears as others about flying in the day of a cruise.  But arriving at 1:30 for a 5:30 departure is, IMO, cutting it too close.   So, yeah, adjusting the flight would be a good idea.  

 

Let us know who it goes.  

I agree with this, they need to get there at least a couple of hours earlier than mentioned.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Wayfairers said:

Lots of questions…

Did they book the flight with the cruise ship company? 
Did they book a transfer from the airport to the ship with the cruise company?

if so, then they should be fine.  If their flight is delayed or cancelled and they booked these with the cruise company my understanding is the cruise company will get them on board….they might miss a port though. 
 

Are they retired?  If so, why put themselves through the stress of wondering if they are going to make it.  Fly in the day before, stay at a hotel that has airport and cruise port shuttles, relax, have a nice dinner and leisurely breakfast before catching the shuttle to the ship.  Their trip starts a day early. 

 

 

Your “understanding” is not necessarily correct.
They need to read their T&Cs and Ticket Contract. In most cases, cruise line air depts. act solely as would any TA: They sell/adjust air tickets/ground transfers and have no liability for third party performance.
The cruise line may assist in locating/securing alternate arrangements as needed. But, there are, most often, no “guarantees” that “ships will wait for you” or “get you to the next port” at no cost to you (which could be several sea days away and incur numerous additional expenses which you or travel insurance would have to cover).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

We never do this--in fact, from Nebr. it usually isn't possilble--until our March cruise.  Due to several factors we couldn't control, we did book day-of usine Princess Easy Air.  But, we got to LA at 9:30 AM, so felt we had plenty of time, which we did, as all went smoothly.

 

Knowing how early we would get there and having a least some support since we booked cruise line air, we did this--hope never to again though.

 

I think that flight is arriving just too late and close to boarding.  So many things can happen, and with that late arrival any little glitch could sink their cruise.  And yes, we have had the same problems with flight cancellations and delays that so many people have had, luckily not the day of that cruise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...