closet and drawer space

ImperialLady

We sailed on the Ruby 5 years ago and the closet space was more than adequate but neither myself or my husband could remember much drawer space.

fortunately I took a portable, cloth, hanging shelving piece and it was great.  We are in a balcony on the Crown in August. Does anyone know about closet/drawer space?  Should I take my shelves again? We are flying Alaska Air and they are sticklers about 50 lbs suitcases.  Thanks in advance

Yes, I always cruise with my hanging shelf.  So much easier to access items.  There is a cabinet with a safe and 4 or 5 shallow/narrow shelves on the Grand Class ships.  The other drawers would be in the desk (just a couple).  There are some open shelves on the side of the desk.  I believe there is a (not so user friendly) shelf under the sink.  The two night stands will also have drawers.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

As best I can recall (and this is in regards to mini-suites) there are only 3 drawers but there is a LOT of shelf space in the closet area (where the safe is kept).  Oh, and 1 drawer in each nightstand.

thank you

3 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Yes, I always cruise with my hanging shelf.  So much easier to access items.  There is a cabinet with a safe and 4 or 5 shallow/narrow shelves on the Grand Class ships.  The other drawers would be in the desk (just a couple).  There are some open shelves on the side of the desk.  I believe there is a (not so user friendly) shelf under the sink.  The two night stands will also have drawers.

Oh  I am glad to know someone else brings the hanging shelf...they are so handy. I left ours for our steward on that trip.  Thanks

• Thanks 1

There is a nightstand with 2 drawers and an open cubby on either side of the bed.  And I thought the desk had a cabinet with 2 shelves.  However in this picture the desk has 3 drawers.

Balcony - Princess Cruises

The closet area has a cabinet with a bunch of shelves.  6, I think with one being used by the safe.

Edited by Blondilu
  • Like 1

Just now, Blondilu said:

There is a nightstand with 2 drawers and an open cubby on either side of the bed.  And I thought the desk had a cabinet with 2 shelves.  However in this picture the desk has 3 drawers.

Balcony - Princess Cruises

thanks, I like having an actual photo

6 ft open closet with shelf above. Part of the shelf space is for the life vests

Wardrobe in the closet area, not actually in the closet, with 5 shelves one of which has the safe.

Night stand with two drawers

Desk with 4 drawers

Hair dryer on wall

Three small shelves on fridge enclosure, Top of fridge enclosure can be used to place things on

Upper shelf above the fridge has the TV with some storage space around it.

We have always brought magnetic hooks to hang things like hats on the blank walls  

2 hours ago, ImperialLady said:

We sailed on the Ruby 5 years ago and the closet space was more than adequate but neither myself or my husband could remember much drawer space.

fortunately I took a portable, cloth, hanging shelving piece and it was great.  We are in a balcony on the Crown in August. Does anyone know about closet/drawer space?  Should I take my shelves again? We are flying Alaska Air and they are sticklers about 50 lbs suitcases.  Thanks in advance

I suggest you take your own drawers and place them on a shelf. Additional storage space is available to ladies who send their husband down to reception the first day on a pointless errand.  I have been doing the latter for years to my partner and not yet been rumbled.

Regards John

• Haha 3

I once brought a box (think big box store) to place on the shelf above the closet.  Being short has its disadvantages (so you learn to be very creative).  Use the box to store things you won't use every day.  This way, items will not get lost on the shelf.  I know...not environmentally friendly to leave the cardboard box behind.  But it is recyclable.  

Princess has a lot of storage with their semi-walk in closet--more than most lines.  It does make for a smaller bathroom though.

We always have plenty of space with the drawers in the cabin, as shown in the picture above, the long open hanging rod and the row of shelves where the safe is.  The top shelf along the closet rod is not too usable unless you are tall, but we put some things we don't use much there.  

• Like 1

On 4/16/2022 at 11:36 AM, ImperialLady said:

This is the shelf space in the closet area on The Crown.- balcony cabin. 6 shelves not including safe shelf.( photo)

1 large shelf above closet rod.

2 nightstands each with 1 open shelf and 2 drawers .

i find the desk area to sometimes have a single door ( see second photo)with 2 shelves inside and sometimes 2-3 drawers- can not remember exact drawer number.

I travel with dh and travel with lots of “ stuff” ,we always find the shelves,drawers,storage area to be great,but our opinion.

we store our large suitcases Under the bed.

We find anything you would store in a drawer can be stored on a cruise ship on a shelf.

AB47DFF3-0AD2-48E6-A05E-838C3E1CB7DB.jpeg

5E186A63-9A0E-45BE-88C1-E04F84A9CC1A.jpeg

Edited by arizonaperson
  • Like 1

On 4/16/2022 at 3:10 PM, JF - retired RRT said:

All the ships (up to Royal class - can't comment, haven't been on one) have essentially the same amount of shelf/drawer space. With the obvious exception of suites.

The Grand Princess has less closet space than the later ships.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, arizonaperson said:

This is the shelf space in the closet area on The Crown.- balcony cabin. 6 shelves not including safe shelf.( photo)

1 large shelf above closet rod.

2 nightstands each with 1 open shelf and 2 drawers .

i find the desk area to sometimes have a single door ( see second photo)with 2 shelves inside and sometimes 2-3 drawers- can not remember exact drawer number.

I travel with dh and travel with lots of “ stuff” ,we always find the shelves,drawers,storage area to be great,but our opinion.

we store our large suitcases Under the bed.

We find anything you would store in a drawer can be stored on a cruise ship on a shelf.

5E186A63-9A0E-45BE-88C1-E04F84A9CC1A.jpeg

For standard inside/oceanview/balcony - Crown/Emerald/Ruby all have the cabinet with shelving at the desk as pictured.  Caribbean, Diamond, Grand and Sapphire have 3 drawers instead (as did Golden/Star).  I prefer the drawers over the cabinet.

Except for the Grand, the closet space/layout is identical on all the above ships as pictured

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 2

We have always had tons of space for clothing. the shelves with the safe are wonderful. However, we have not yet been on the Grand. You can watch cabin videos on YouTube for your ship.

• Like 1

Anecdotally speaking, we have stored five months worth of stuff in a inside cabin on Princess (including snorkel gear, floaties, coolers, full formalwear) and had no problem finding a place for everything. On HAL and RC ships in the middle of those five momths, we tripped over things setting out in the cabin the entire cruise because there was simply no space for them. 

• Like 1

On 4/16/2022 at 5:29 PM, john watson said:

I suggest you take your own drawers and place them on a shelf. Additional storage space is available to ladies who send their husband down to reception the first day on a pointless errand.  I have been doing the latter for years to my partner and not yet been rumbled.

Regards John

On 4/17/2022 at 11:56 PM, arizonaperson said:

I'm not sure I always get my 3 of 6 shelves in that cabinet.  😉

11 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Anecdotally speaking, we have stored five months worth of stuff in a inside cabin on Princess (including snorkel gear, floaties, coolers, full formalwear) and had no problem finding a place for everything. On HAL and RC ships in the middle of those five months, we tripped over things setting out in the cabin the entire cruise because there was simply no space for them. 

Right, but show them a photo of your over-the-door hanging shoe thingy that we learned about years ago from you and bought one and it was especially handy on our 60-night Around South America voyage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

I'm not sure I always get my 3 of 6 shelves in that cabinet.  😉

That is my cabinet. There is a lot of extra storage area above the hanging rail for clothing on the life jackets high shelf adjacent too.  The two night stands and dressing table are not mine.

Regards John

• Haha 1