Internet Price Increase

58 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Internet pricing, at least on Allure, has increased since I cruised in January. I am posting this only to help those of you trying to decide if it is more advantageous to pre book or buy on board...

20220423_055451.thumb.jpg.cb86e69fc310595344a3ceebf4d8404b.jpg

This is what is showing in the cruise planner for both of our 2023 cruises.  So far, no 'sales' or discounts have been applied. DBP is really crazy.

55 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

So, is RCI keeping the 24 hour pass cost the same to minimize the D and up discount to a min?

This certainly affects the Voom math for those D and up.

Yep. Those prices are kind of nuts.

• Like 2

Just off Anthem 4/10 - 17 and bought a week's package of Surf+Stream for a single device on board for $136.95 with my D+ discount.  (My wife then combined our 2-days each of free Surf for 4 days for one of her devices).

Based on the above pricing of $26.99 x 7= $188.93 that would indicate a $51.98 on board D+ savings.  

Edited by leaveitallbehind

2 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Based on the above pricing of $26.99 x 7= $188.93 that would indicate a $51.98 on board D+ savings.

That (2xthe cost of Surf day pass) has been the discount for quite a while. 

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Internet pricing, at least on Allure, has increased since I cruised in January. I am posting this only to help those of you trying to decide if it is more advantageous to pre book or buy on board...

20220423_055451.thumb.jpg.cb86e69fc310595344a3ceebf4d8404b.jpg

Absolutely ridiculous.  Especially when at this time last year it was $11.49 for 1 device in the cruise planner pre cruise.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Just off Anthem 4/10 - 17 and bought a week's package of Surf+Stream for a single device on board for $136.95 with my D+ discount.  (My wife then combined our 2-days each of free Surf for 4 days for one of her devices).

Did they allow you to use your discount and get the 2 days.  We usually buy a package before the cruise and have never been able to use our 2 days on board.  My wife uses her's as the package is in my name.

10 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Considering the slow speed I might have to suck it up and go unplugged for a cruise. It’s not like not having the internet would kill me.

To be honest, I thought it would drive me bonkers but we both found it a bit liberating. 🙂 We do use our two free 24-hour periods, so we're not totally cut off, but it's kinda nice to be off the grid for most of it.

• Like 2

Not sure what you mean it went up, when? I posted in march when we missed costa maya they had the daily rate of 32.99 and I would have lost a lot of my coupon code to go online. Biker said oh no dynamic internet pricing. I wound up waiting for midnight to go on when the daily rate dropped to 24.99. But it was 32.99 when everyone wanted to go online and we had a unexpected sea day. No refund of fees and taxes for missing a port, just higher internet prices which then dropped the last 2 days onboard so my coupon worked.

Still have one screen6 shot of what I posted during my cruise. Coupon 51.99. If I bought one day of 32.99 i would have had to pay out of pocket for 2nd day. Biker saw it.

20220331_104645359.jpeg

Edited by firefly333

11 minutes ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

To be honest, I thought it would drive me bonkers but we both found it a bit liberating. 🙂 We do use our two free 24-hour periods, so we're not totally cut off, but it's kinda nice to be off the grid for most of it.

Exactly. I found myself after a day of being unplugged really enjoying it. When we are port I switch to my international plan and can use cell service to check emails and such.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

Did they allow you to use your discount and get the 2 days.  We usually buy a package before the cruise and have never been able to use our 2 days on board.  My wife uses her's as the package is in my name.

I may have misspoken previously.  I just checked with my wife and while we did purchase the package as indicated through my account with my D+ discount as soon as we boarded on Day 1, my wife subsequently only utilized her 2-day free surf days, not 4 (which would have included mine) as I had thought.  We had talked to GS about using all 4 but she only needed the 2 and never tried to activate mine. 

So I can't say for sure if that can be done.  Sorry if I mislead you on that - I thought she did use all 4 originally, but she (as usual) corrected me!  🙂

• Like 3

My family uses the internet to pass pictures to each other and stay in contact during the cruise.  Easy way to call each other and do logistics without needing to resort to going to the room.  It is nice to have already passed pics around at the moment, versus the depressing offload from various devices after the cruise.  Also great when the extended group is all over the megaship.

Kiddo uses the internet for school classes while we cruise.  Nice view while taking Biology and math.  🙂

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I am pretty sure I said between when I cruised in January and now.

Ok I wasnt sure if you meant the recent price hike in the planner too. I saw someone say internet shouldnt have gone up so much, it's a fixed cost for rcl more so than food, but idk.

The last 2 days internet went down to 24.99 per day .. less than coupon price. Dynamic pricing up and down according to demand. Varied by day. Kinda unexpected I agree with you. 

8 minutes ago, rudeney said:

Those onboard price are still less expensive than the pre-purchase prices showing in my Cruise Planner for Voyager in October:

image.png

Huh?  Are you using Royal Math?  😄

Surf 1 device: $21.99 > $15.99

S&S 1 device: $26.99 > $19.99

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rudeney said:

Those onboard price are still less expensive than the pre-purchase prices showing in my Cruise Planner for Voyager in October:

image.png

How is $21.99 for surf with one device less than the $15.99 that I see in your planner?

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Considering the slow speed I might have to suck it up and go unplugged for a cruise. It’s not like not having the internet would kill me.

I've already bought my internet for my Alaska this summer for $16 per device with a 2 Device package.  My Allure in December is a little bit more at $16.50 per device for a two device package.  I'm about at my limit for pricing on this.  Much more of an increase and I will probably do without.  I love having internet onboard but there is a limit.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Tree_skier said:

I've already bought my internet for my Alaska this summer for $16 per device with a 2 Device package.  My Allure in December is a little bit more at $16.50 per device for a two device package.  I'm about at my limit for pricing on this.  Much more of an increase and I will probably do without.  I love having internet onboard but there is a limit.

I think that is a wise approach. Everything needs a limit you will pay.

• Like 1