Does RCCL block WiFi calling?

I've heard, if I turn off my cellular radio, then turn on Wi-Fi calling, I can can call and text over the internet so long as I have an internet package, which I will.  I have done this many times, to avoid roaming charges, but never on an RCCL ship.  We are Quantum, May 16, to Alaska.  Does anyone have first hand experience with this?  Thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Should work about the same as on land or other ships. 

Not really

You will get dropouts. 

For the OP, specifically, you have a low look angle at the satellite  which could cause signal loss and there will be portions of sailing in the fjords where you are totally blocked. 

Check with your Carrier.  I have Verizon and last cruise with Princess used Medallion net on Mexican Riviera.

It was great but when I got home received $300 bill.  Called Verizon they said it is for international call.

I told them Mexico is free on my plan.  They changed tune and said it is roaming charges. I said then why do you itemized on bill as international.  After transfer to many department, I finally coughed up and paid but this was really stressful for me.

Hope this will not happen to you.  So please do check with your Carrier.

Good lucks,

1 hour ago, funcky said:

Check with your Carrier.  I have Verizon and last cruise with Princess used Medallion net on Mexican Riviera.

It was great but when I got home received $300 bill.  Called Verizon they said it is for international call.

I told them Mexico is free on my plan.  They changed tune and said it is roaming charges. I said then why do you itemized on bill as international.  After transfer to many department, I finally coughed up and paid but this was really stressful for me.

Good lucks,

Sounds like you may have forgotten airplane mode; if not, i certainly would not have paid the bill

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SG65CB said:

People have been reporting wi-fi calling does not work on Wonder of the Seas, so it would be good to find someone with specific knowledge/experience on Quantum of the Seas. 

I think that limitation on Wonder was only for some folks with some phones on AT&T only. No reason to think Quantum wouldn’t work - no one can confirm till next week. 

14 hours ago, funcky said:

Good lucks,

That Mexico included roaming  is only good in the ports. Sounds like you had roaming on onboard the ship on and connected to the ship cell. You need to be in airplane mode with wifi on onboard the ship when at sea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NSXCRUISER said:

Does Diamond + get any free wifi minutes on Royal? It's been awhile since I cruised on Royal.

No more minutes. You get the equivalent of the value of two 24 hour periods of the Surf tier of VOOM. 

On 4/29/2022 at 6:35 PM, funcky said:

Good lucks,

Are you sure you were in airplane mode with only Wi-Fi on? I can't imagine how Verizon could have charged you for roaming if you didn't connect to the ships cell tower. 

On 4/29/2022 at 5:46 PM, johnasmith99 said:

I've heard, if I turn off my cellular radio, then turn on Wi-Fi calling, I can can call and text over the internet so long as I have an internet package, which I will.  I have done this many times, to avoid roaming charges, but never on an RCCL ship.  We are Quantum, May 16, to Alaska.  Does anyone have first hand experience with this?  Thanks.

If you have Wi-Fi calling turned on. Have you turned it on?

On 4/30/2022 at 6:43 AM, Biker19 said:

I think that limitation on Wonder was only for some folks with some phones on AT&T only. No reason to think Quantum wouldn’t work - no one can confirm till next week. 

Not limited to AT&T , while on the Wonder my Verizon Samsung S22 Ultra would not allow me to receive Text or Calls.  The IT dept said they knew of this problem with Verizon phones I asked about AT&T they said they have not hear of any problem for those users.

On 4/29/2022 at 6:35 PM, funcky said:

Good lucks,

Didn’t you put your phone on airplane mode?