If you're a frequent Silversea passenger, read this!

Caxe

25 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

With Port to Port fares.

I've taken screen shots of the T's and Cs. It would seem that VS days are credited on P2P but that the VS days-earned 5% and 10% savings only apply against D2D ssilings:

2090060189_Screenshot_20220528-1433482.thumb.png.c63d938de1d0740b10ad0244965ff87a.png270859120_Screenshot_20220528-1436042.thumb.png.12046bd0c3e95a6e984e8a54f96c8cba.png

1 hour ago, Silver Spectre said:

Nicely put @markham, however experience tells us that the likelihood of the Head of Marketing responding to feedback from the VS faithful is exactly zero. Tin ears comes to mind.

I don’t like the idea of a non refundable deposit, and it’s currently unlikely to tempt me. What really annoys me is the idea that you can pay to cruise with SS and not accrue Venetian days. People have always paid different prices to cruise, either based on space or due to discounting of one sort or another, and unless you are a travel agent with a large group of guests, you have always been treated the same and accrued Venetian days. I think that introducing two different classes of guests stinks.

I'm amazed it hasn't dawned on SS that VS discount and accrued days is the loyalty incentive, without which there as absolutely zero reason not to book with someone else.

In fact I'd suggest it encourages to book with another line which doesn't neglect loyalty and deletes past promises.

Whilst personally, it's unlikely I'll get to the next tier to gain from additional days to get a free cruise, it's not the point. The idea was sold on a premise of rewards that's now been removed unless you agree to an inflated fare. 

Edited by les37b
  • Like 4

To be fair, there are clearly plenty of people happy to pay through the nose to have everything taken care of by SS and are in the privileged position of having money to burn. Anyone looking at D2D who happens to be able to use all of the included elements may feel it's good value. 

The losers here are those of us that like to arrange our own travel with the flexibility to come and go wherever before and after the cruise. 

The other losers are those who, because of location, cannot use some of the included elements, receive a credit but end up paying way more than what is effectively a P2P at an inflated price. 

I can see where SS is coming from. I don't agree with nor like it. 

The old system didn't penalise those who use their own initiative on travel nor did it penalise folk geographically. 

I might look like a cabbage but I'm not green. 

I'm out. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, les37b said:

I'm amazed it hasn't dawned on SS that VS discount and accrued days is the loyalty incentive, without which there as absolutely zero reason not to book with someone else.

In fact I'd suggest it encourages to book with another line which doesn't neglect loyalty and deletes past promises.

Whilst personally, it's unlikely I'll get to the next tier to gain from additional days to get a free cruise, it's not the point. The idea was sold on a premise of rewards that's now been removed unless you agree to an inflated fare. 

This can be compared to my decision to not bother with airline status and mileage accrual once the miles were so devalued and made difficult to use.  It was a decision that allowed me to really focus on in-flight service and best routes, flight times rather than remain blindly loyal with reduced benefits.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, les37b said:

"No reason not to book with someone else"      I venture to suggest there is every reason and many of us who love our SS cruises know what these reasons are.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, labrasett said:

"No reason not to book with someone else"      I venture to suggest there is every reason and many of us who love our SS cruises know what these reasons are.

I'm sure there are many who agree with you. 

SS have changed. I too love my SS cruises (I still have 3 in the pipeline fully paid for to look forward to). And think SS will be overjoyed by your reply and unquestioning loyalty. My view is it's a shame that loyalty isn't returned.

Your opinion is completely valid even though I disagree with the notion the changes should just be accepted without question and I dare say the responses posted suggest the majority do not agree with you either.

Each to their own.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, les37b said:

Your opinion is completely valid even though I disagree with the notion the changes should just be accepted without question and I dare say the responses posted suggest the majority do not agree with you either.

You mean the majority of people who post here don't agree with labrasett. That is a given. I'll suggest that the overall reaction from all its customers and potential customers will determine whether Silversea changes its approach. In other words, the effect on the bottom line.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, turtlemichael said:

You mean the majority of people who post here don't agree with labrasett. That is a given. I'll suggest that the overall reaction from all its customers and potential customers will determine whether Silversea changes its approach. In other words, the effect on the bottom line.

I only referred to the people posting here. I have no access to sales statistics,though I suspect they are not as expected, but concede the general market plays a big part in that also. (Even more reason not to rock the boat IMHO). For the first time, a few weeks ago, I saw a mainstream UK travel company offering what was almost 50% less than advertised on the SS website for a western Baltic Cruise. I think Rosebud may have booked it so may be able to confirm. I know they do offload to various places at times, but that was a first for me to a main UK agent. I'm not adverse to those tactics and had I not booked something else on a different CL, I would have jumped on it..... And get my VS discounts and days credited. £2699 for a D2D is a pretty good deal!

If the Seabourn sale goes ahead, it may well be great timing for SS management and this may get the new influx you suggest.  Who knows. My opinions are purely based on my personal POV and how it affects me subjectively. If as you suggest SS is playing a wait and see in the hope they replace "us", then so much for loyalty. I don't think it unreasonable to highlight dissatisfaction and why.

• Like 2

I might be wrong but I understood that the point of this thread was to highlight the revised Ts and Cs as they affect the P2P and D2D aspects of making a booking.

When a significant number of loyal SS customers feel frustrated, disadvantaged or just plain angry at the new rules it is hardly surprising that they vent somewhat on here. And as CC only touches a small portion of the VS membership I think it fair to extrapolate this thread's dissatisfied numbers to suggest a decent chunk of SS regulars are not happy. 

I've voted with my feet and I'm not the only one. Plenty of people are still booking. Others are trying to suggest that it's all a bit of a storm in a teacup. Very well, be that as it may and have a happy life but in a world of choice and diversity I, for one, will take my custom to a line with a more transparent and fair booking system that will honour my accrued loyalty benefits regardless of whether I choose to take their hugely inflated included features. 

• Like 5

Hopefully this too shall pass, and we can get back to us normal cruise fares without all the inflated add ons.  We are getting a hundred pp credit to decline the ride to the airport.  One of our kids or friends can take us and pick us up, or we can just take an Uber if all else fails, which is $30 at most each way.

but silversea will have to give me good reason to book future cruises with them.  We currently only do the expedition cruises, as we like Regent for traditional cruising.  And I am pretty sure we can find other expedition ships with straightforward pricing and not a bunch of add ons that we don’t want or need.

• Like 7

On 5/28/2022 at 9:57 AM, Tothesunset said:

The losers here are those of us that like to arrange our own travel with the flexibility to come and go wherever before and after the cruise. 

With the included excursions with no opt-out reduction, other losers are well traveled guests with lots of VS nights who resist being herded on "free"/included group tours and want to explore on their own.  I know of three couples who met at trivia on SS and who had planned to sail together on a longish SS cruise.  They have been terminally put off by included excursions and corresponding increase in fares.  They will travel on another luxury line and rent vans with private guides at a number of ports.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Observer said:

They will travel on another luxury line and rent vans with private guides at a number of ports.

I guess that would have to be Seabourn if you are talking small ship luxury lines. Regent already includes excursions. If the Saudis buy Seabourn, things might change there too.

43 minutes ago, silkismom said:

Hummm, if I remember correctly, Saudis don't allow liquor????

The Saudis have major investments in high-end hotels that have bars.  They do not generally allow liquor in the Kingdom, but I believe the liquor is permitted in some expat enclaves.  

15 hours ago, Observer said:

With the included excursions with no opt-out reduction, other losers are well traveled guests with lots of VS nights who resist being herded on "free"/included group tours and want to explore on their own.  I know of three couples who met at trivia on SS and who had planned to sail together on a longish SS cruise.  They have been terminally put off by included excursions and corresponding increase in fares.  They will travel on another luxury line and rent vans with private guides at a number of ports.

There is so much discussion on here about the "cost" of included excursions and various other gripes about p2p and d2d, loss of "benefits" etc. etc.    I have just dipped into cruiselines boards on CC and see that most of them have similar gripes to those found here.   I checked a similar lines terms and conditions yesterday and found them even more complicated, wordy and opaque than those of SS.   So if loyalty bonuses are so important I wonder how many other walks of life people seek similar attaching benefits, does your local motor mechanic give you points for each vehicle service so you can save up for a free service in five years time?   I doubt it but for some reason luxury cruise passengers seem to think they should be "rewarded" for their loyalty.   If its here to be had then all well and good but if not you takes your choice and pays your money.   As for price increases these were inevitable following the two years of Covid business losses, SS is not a charity, fuel costs are going through the roof, air fares are rising exponentially and will continue to do so will Russia wages its war, staffing issues remain hard to resolve and so it goes on.

11 hours ago, Observer said:

The Saudis have major investments in high-end hotels that have bars.  They do not generally allow liquor in the Kingdom, but I believe the liquor is permitted in some expat enclaves.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been wondering how many people like myself are a captive audience with SS due to a build up of FCCs. When my FCCs are gone I will not be booking SS unless this pricing D2D is gone. My questions:  How much of this FCC buildup has factored into SS pricing? Do they realize how many previously loyal clients are and will be jumping ship because of it? Will the crazy pricing go away once FCCs are used up? Will it be too late to get those previously loyal clients back as they have found excellent alternatives?

47 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

I have been wondering how many people like myself are a captive audience with SS due to a build up of FCCs. When my FCCs are gone I will not be booking SS unless this pricing D2D is gone. My questions:  How much of this FCC buildup has factored into SS pricing? Do they realize how many previously loyal clients are and will be jumping ship because of it? Will the crazy pricing go away once FCCs are used up? Will it be too late to get those previously loyal clients back as they have found excellent alternatives?

I dont think people realise this is not crazy pricing, it is comparable with other similar cruise lines.  Everything is going up in the world at the moment, dont expect a miracle to occur and prices to drop if and when Covid goes away and the Russian generated hostilities cease, it would be silly to think this.

52 minutes ago, labrasett said:

I dont think people realise this is not crazy pricing, it is comparable with other similar cruise lines.  Everything is going up in the world at the moment, dont expect a miracle to occur and prices to drop if and when Covid goes away and the Russian generated hostilities cease, it would be silly to think this.

Most of us on this board are smart enough to realize what causes prices to rise and that is not what is really being discussed here. You miss the point, It is not about pricing going up or loyalty, but the change in policy and marketing with not much warning or communication and not very transparent. The change is confusing and nonsensical which is causing many posters to vent and complain. The effort to try and compare and evaluate the SS pricing to other Luxury lines has become more difficult. Yes in the end after wading thru the changes you can arrive at a cost and cancellation penalty that you either are willing to accept or not. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, labrasett said:

OK. How's this for crazy pricing:

21 Jun 22 Silver Moon Copenhagen to Stockholm 7 nights. 

D2D £4900

P2P £2350

So a difference of £2550 per person. 

That £2550 gets you flights to Copenhagen return from Stockholm.  That's about £400 or less for Business. You get return from home to Airport (if you live within the radius) and back. So another £200. Overseas airport - port - Airport. Let's be generous and say £100.

So for the extra £2550 you get the elements you could buy yourself for £700. To put it another way on a D2D fare you are paying £1850 for, er, absolutely nothing. That's £3700 for a couple. 

So you can pay £9800 for D2D or £6100 (£2350x2 + £700x2)for P2P and arrange your own travel. 

That's not crazy pricing? 

The crazy thing is that anyone would buy the D2D. That really is crazy. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

That really is crazy. 

Not really, IMHO, for such a close in booking.  

D2D is all algorithmic.  So, the P2P manual override price allows SS to discount without having to pay refunds to any passengers who booked D2D previously.

As such, P2P in the case of the voyage you cite entices those folks who do not plan in advance to getaway and sail at the last minute.  At this late date, it would be very odd for a couple to book the D2D fare as the full fare would be required at the time of booking anyway, thereby significantly reducing the risk of the P2P fare over the next three weeks.

Edited by Stumblefoot
  • Like 1

OK, Stumbles. The message is clear. Don't book a D2D, be flexible and annoy your shipmates with your last minute bargain!

I'm not really sure why I'm pursuing this topic. It just annoys me that SS is charging such a ridiculous mark-up on D2D while at the same time penalising those who gain value and flexibility from making their own arrangements. It was always possible to book a cruise then get the air credit. No penalties. We did this all the time. Now it's made SS less attractive. 

I'm sure the cruises will be as good as ever. I hope the loyal customers who book have a great time. But I'm sure there are old SS hands unwilling to be party to such egregious practices. Seems that some just can't take the news that SS has disappointed some customers. 

SS will thrive, I'm sure. But it will do so without me. That's not a threat or a fit of pique. There are plenty of alternatives. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tothesunset said:

OK, Stumbles. The message is clear. Don't book a D2D, be flexible and annoy your shipmates with your last minute bargain!

Thankfully, I’ve never witnessed behavior like that before.  But, I guess there could be braggarts of all types.  Certainly not someone I’d want to socialize with.

1 hour ago, Tothesunset said:

Seems that some just can't take the news that SS has disappointed some customers. 

I don’t know about that.  Maybe, I guess.  Certainly not me.

Ever since I began participating in this forum all those years ago, there have always been people who were disappointed in SS in some form or fashion. Most of the complainers move along, never to be heard from again in this forum, while SS continues to sail on.

While I certainly don’t care for the D2D and P2P scheme, I just chalk it up to a company trying to find a way to satisfy a segment of their target customers.  But, like most everything, this too shall pass in due time, I imagine.  Some loyal passengers will leave for greener pastures, while some new passengers will arrive to take their place.  Happens in virtually every business, I suppose.

• Like 3