OK to stuff multiple Emed testing kits into One box...?

Planning to bring lots of Emed proctored testing kits for our upcoming large family cruise to Alaska.

Since we're staying in Vancouver 3 nights before embarkation, & then flying back to US, we're bringing 2 tests person + One extra just in case.  

The box clearly states to do not open the boxes until testing time, but the test materials inside only takes up 10% of the box volume.  It'll take almost a whole suitcase, just to bring all the testing kits for our family.

Have read that some online proctors don't care if boxes are opened, just as long as the individual testing materials inside are still opened/intact.  

So is it OK for us to open them, stuff a few test kits inside One box, just as long as we save to QR codes on each box, to do the tests later...?

No, don't do it.  The boxes have a code on them and that is the first thing that they check.  If the box code does not match the code on the test card, you are in trouble.

Also, they work with a 'script'.  They tell you to "now open the box".  If they see that the box is already open, they will freak out and claim that the test is corrupt.

They will also freak out when they see multiple test cards and swabs and reagent kits fall out of the same box once you open it.

On my last test, there was a second strip over the glue that holds the test card together.  They became very upset when they saw that it was not the usual single strip.

• Like 6

Boxes are not supposed to be open before the test.  The proctor will want to see the back of the BOX.  The box being open is not the issue because they really can't see that the seal has been broken.  

I wouldn't take the chance, but you could try a different proctor.

Good luck.

• Like 1

my test kit  did not  have the  adhesive stripe to glue the  test  card  together.  It  did not  work. I did not get my test  confirmed.

Beware of that.  You don't know that  until you start  testing.     You must  not  open the box  before  testing.

10 minutes ago, NavyCruiser said:

So is it OK for us to open them, stuff a few test kits inside One box, just as long as we save to QR codes on each box, to do the tests later...?

Nope.

Also, you should put them in your carry-ons, so they won't get damaged or lost.

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 2

Let's assume you're correct in that you have "heard" that some proctors don't care if the box is already open. With that assumption, you arrive into Canada, take the tests and all goes well.

Now, let's assume you arrive into Canada, break out the box, and all the contents fall out onto the table for 8 tests. The proctors eyes get real big and ask you what is going on? The proctor then states that they cannot give you a pass.

You're in Canada, what is your back-up plan?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Let's assume you're correct in that you have "heard" that some proctors don't care if the box is already open. With that assumption, you arrive into Canada, take the tests and all goes well.

Now, let's assume you arrive into Canada, break out the box, and all the contents fall out onto the table for 8 tests. The proctors eyes get real big and ask you what is going on? The proctor then states that they cannot give you a pass.

You're in Canada, what is your back-up plan?

Drink Molson and find a new test place.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, NavyCruiser said:

Planning to bring lots of Emed proctored testing kits for our upcoming large family cruise to Alaska.

Since we're staying in Vancouver 3 nights before embarkation, & then flying back to US, we're bringing 2 tests person + One extra just in case.  

The box clearly states to do not open the boxes until testing time, but the test materials inside only takes up 10% of the box volume.  It'll take almost a whole suitcase, just to bring all the testing kits for our family.

Have read that some online proctors don't care if boxes are opened, just as long as the individual testing materials inside are still opened/intact.  

You say "large family". Does that mean you have a lot of minor children?  Or do you mean there are other adults traveling?  If there are other adults, let them carry their own tests.

Absolutely do not open the tests and combine anything.  Not only is there are barcode on the box, there is also one on the test card.  It says don't open for a reason.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, ILOVESHIPS said:

my test kit  did not  have the  adhesive stripe to glue the  test  card  together.  It  did not  work. I did not get my test  confirmed.

Beware of that.  You don't know that  until you start  testing.     You must  not  open the box  before  testing.

Always have at least one extra..

1 minute ago, PTC DAWG said:

Always have at least one extra..

This.  We bought four for our Apr b2b, used two and will be buying two more for our July cruise.  Always have a backup.

• Like 1

Totally annoying for sure. We just flew to London before heading to Voyager it of Copenhagen on Sunday, so we will. We’d to test to board and then test to fly home. My plan is to test at the CPH airport each time, but just in case, we brought 4 boxes…first across the pond, and then later to Copenhagen. Frustrating to have them take up so much space in your carry one (do NOT pack them in checked baggage as others have said),  but better safe than sorry. On our Allure cruise in April, both I and MxCatLady tested in MI before heading down to FL. I got my test results back before boarding; they did not, so super thankful to have the kits.

Good luck!

• Like 1

We recently had the same problem....Yes, those eMed boxes are so large considering the small test items they contain. We wrapped them in bubblewrap and carefully put them in DH backpack. That backpack was handled by us with kid gloves. Such a bother as we flew trying to fit the backpack under the seat or  OH MY in the overhead watching another flyer didn't cram their stuff on top of it.

We were traveling with our extended family of 4 adults and two kids and no way considering all the stuff everyone needed to carry that we would have let anyone else be responsible for these tests.

What a PIA transporting them was...These tests need to be in smaller boxes and made easier to travel with JMHO !!!!!!

• Like 2

The iHealth orange and white boxes have two tests in the box and the iHealth proctors don't require an unopened box, just unopened materials.  No codes on boxes, either.  US gov just reopened free test kit mailings although haven't gotten new set from post office yet so don't know if these will be iHealth.  Not sure they are still doing these - web site shows sold out.

42 minutes ago, LeeW said:

The iHealth orange and white boxes have two tests in the box and the iHealth proctors don't require an unopened box, just unopened materials.  No codes on boxes, either.  US gov just reopened free test kit mailings although haven't gotten new set from post office yet so don't know if these will be iHealth.  Not sure they are still doing these - web site shows sold out.

Mine weren't the iHealth this time.  I got BinaxNOW that has 2 test in the box.  I don't think this type can  be proctored.

The Abbott/eMed boxes contain materials for two tests. And the box must be unopened prior to taking the supervised text.

So, what happens to the second test once the box is opened? Can another family member use it to count as their own supervised test? Hoping to do this -- not sure how...

Thanks!

1 hour ago, bme said:

The Abbott/eMed boxes contain materials for two tests. And the box must be unopened prior to taking the supervised text.

So, what happens to the second test once the box is opened? Can another family member use it to count as their own supervised test? Hoping to do this -- not sure how...

Thanks!

for the proctored test there is only 1 test per box