Ironing on board/tips?

sundaypeople5

I am aware we are not allowed to bring irons on board.  I was wondering what folks do to get the wrinkles out of their clothes .  I am packing my clothes carefully using all of the tips out there to avoid wrinkles, but I am already noticing that many of my  outfits are still getting them.  Are there irons already in the rooms for us to use?  Any tips?  

1 hour ago, TiggerTony2 said:

There will be a laundry room on the same deck as your stateroom (have a look at the deck plans, its marked on there). Just use the iron in there - we tend to do a batch of ironing which will then last us a few days.

This is correct info. Each deck has a self service laundry that is usually near the aft.  Besides two washers and two dryers there is at least one ironing board and iron.  We always pack some detergent pods and some dryer sheets so we don't have to purchase any onboard (there is a machine in the laundry room that can dispense it for a fee).  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, tillys mom said:

Try using a small spray bottle with a dryer sheet inside. When you get onboard, add water and spray your wrinkles as you hang up your clothes.

I get these small bottles at the dollar store (now 1.25) but never thought about putting a dryer sheet in this when I iron, clever thanks.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

I get these small bottles at the dollar store (now 1.25) but never thought about putting a dryer sheet in this when I iron, clever thanks.

Folks who do this equate it to Downy Wrinkle Release spray.  EM

• Like 3

My secret packing tip is to use dry cleaning bags.  I fold our clothes rather than roll them and I save my dry-cleaning bags to layer between the clothes when I pack them.  Sort of like making a sandwich - first I put a dry-cleaning bag inside the case, then a layer of folded clothes, then a dry-cleaning bag, another layer of clothes, and so on.  I stuff the socks, knickers, and other small, assorted things along with the shoes around the sides.  If we are taking tuxes/suits/gowns I will leave them in the dry-cleaning bags and layer them in that way.  I also avail myself of the irons and ironing boards if needed.  Make sure to check the bottom of the irons first and do a few test swipes on the board before you use them on your clothing though as they are used by many and not always cared for.

• Like 2

When you use the free irons/boards in laundry room.  Check to see if the previous user has melted a colour synthetic material onto the sole plate.  It will smear on your clothes.  Take a pillow case or similar to put on top of what you iron to protect your clothes.

Regards John

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, MommyOTwins said:

For the laundry machines, can you use medallion to pay or does it have to be credit card (or cash)?  

medallion pay to get tokens to put into machines - can get tokens in laundry ( if machine working ) or at customer service desk

On 5/18/2022 at 1:41 AM, sundaypeople5 said:

I am aware we are not allowed to bring irons on board.  I was wondering what folks do to get the wrinkles out of their clothes .  I am packing my clothes carefully using all of the tips out there to avoid wrinkles, but I am already noticing that many of my  outfits are still getting them.  Are there irons already in the rooms for us to use?  Any tips?  

As you’ve heard other posts -yes there are iron and ironing boards in the laundry area on your deck.

No matter if it’s a cruise or a land vacation I put all my clothes on wire hangers -pant hangers & shirt hangers ,hang them up in a dry cleaning bag and tri fold them in my suitcase. And Just like that, you take out of suitcase & hang everything up in the closet and you are pretty much unpacked .  Carefully remove the dry cleaning bag and store it in your suitcase until ready to go home. Never have anything wrinkled but pretty much keep everything hanging up until the night before traveling and I never have any wrinkles in my clothes. 

If you never dry clean anything -I say go dry clean a couple items so that you can get a couple dry cleaning bags and hangers and you can reuse them over and over. I do it all the time ,that’s my tip.

On 5/18/2022 at 11:54 AM, john watson said:

Take a pillow case or similar to put on top of what you iron to protect your clothes.

This is a very good tip.  I purchased a pressing cloth at a fabric store years ago and it is always in my “cruise laundry bag” with inflatable hangers, some clothespins, Wine Away, a sink stopper, and a small jar with OxyClean powder.  Detergent pods are separate. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arizonaperson said:

No matter if it’s a cruise or a land vacation I put all my clothes on wire hangers -pant hangers & shirt hangers ,hang them up in a dry cleaning bag and tri fold them in my suitcase. And Just like that, you take out of suitcase & hang everything up in the closet and you are pretty much unpacked .  

This is my technique as well.  

As I remind myself (and my wife):  "Except for our travel companions, there is no one on the ship we will ever see again, so why should I care if my dress shirt is a bit wrinkled?"  In almost 40 years of cruising, I have never used the laundry (either the ship's laundry or the self-service machines) or the irons/ironing boards.  My wife bought a wrinkle-removing steamer that we don't even bother to pack any more.  

• Like 1