Carnival Freedom Funnel Fire

d12j28

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Nothing I've seen, up to and including articles from this month state the dock has been repaired.  When I was there in early 2021, the talk at the yard was it was not repairable.  I wouldn't trust Google maps imagery too much.  Marinetraffic, with no date attribution, shows it half submerged and half floating.  Grand Bahamas is building two new floating drydocks in China with Carnival and RCI money that will be capable of handling the Oasis class ships.  As Dock #2 is nearly 50 years old, they likely don't feel that throwing money at it is a good idea.  Actually, the key is that Grand Bahamas website mentions that they have the capacity to lift 50,000 tons, and Dock #2 was capable of 87,000 tons.

OK, thanks for the reply - that does make sense, especially in context of the new drydocks being built.

18 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

After their over prediction on Vista a few years back, I'm afraid they will go week by week.

I'm booked on 6/16. I'd really like to know if we are being canceled so that I can get on Conquest for next Monday instead. 

Just now, charliesdad63 said:

I'm booked on 6/16. I'd really like to know if we are being canceled so that I can get on Conquest for next Monday instead. 

I don't have any inside information, I'm only guessing.

Sounds like Carnival doesn't intend to cancel anything after the June 6 sailing. Not sure what I can share, but Carnival did make a statement cancelling only sailings through then, and that the expect to welcome guests back shortly. It'll be interesting to see what they actually do for repairs in that short time frame.  

20 hours ago, Indytraveler83 said:

Sounds like Carnival doesn't intend to cancel anything after the June 6 sailing. Not sure what I can share, but Carnival did make a statement cancelling only sailings through then, and that the expect to welcome guests back shortly. It'll be interesting to see what they actually do for repairs in that short time frame.  

funny that a couple of the prognosticators said the she will probably be scrapped. lol

On 6/2/2022 at 12:19 PM, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Has this ever happened on any other Carnival ship? If it has, would you not think they would install automatic fire control systems in the tail made of fiberglass and easily burned? What caused the fire? Was it poor maintenance? I am sure Carnival will figure it out and prevent any future tail fires.

Not an expert but ships burn a heavier fuel, and like a chimney you can get soot buildup and a chimney fire.  So my guess is a buildup of soot that eventually caught fire.  [Soot is partially burned fuel].

4 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

funny that a couple of the prognosticators said the she will probably be scrapped. lol

I think some people see anything older than the Vista class as a worn out old ship.  The reality is that the Freedom was built in 2006, and is sitting at 16 years old.

If this had happened to the Elation or Sunshine (and especially Ecstacy) scrapping might be more of an option, as those ships are in the 25 year old range and Carnival likely doesn't have long term future plans with them.  

43 minutes ago, Indytraveler83 said:

I think some people see anything older than the Vista class as a worn out old ship.  The reality is that the Freedom was built in 2006, and is sitting at 16 years old.

Freedom launched in 2007. I was on the Inaugural.

35 minutes ago, Indytraveler83 said:

If this had happened to the Elation or Sunshine (and especially Ecstacy) scrapping might be more of an option, as those ships are in the 25 year old range and Carnival likely doesn't have long term future plans with them.  

Elation (and Paradise) went through refits not that long ago that added a deck and a number of staterooms. They also fit at ports in large markets (Tampa, Jacksonville, Baltimore) where air draft (height) is an issue. Elation and Paradise very much have futures.

Now if Sunshine needed cost-prohibitive repairs, Carnival might pull the plug early, especially since Charleston is exiting the cruise business. It would come down to the cost of cancelling the sailings that could be saved. The same would apply with Ecstasy in Mobile.

1 hour ago, Tippyton said:

Not an expert but ships burn a heavier fuel, and like a chimney you can get soot buildup and a chimney fire.  So my guess is a buildup of soot that eventually caught fire.  [Soot is partially burned fuel].

Doubt it...they have preventive maintenance they conduct on a regular basis for what you describe. This was an engine fire of some sort. 

8 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

And some said it could be fixed like it was nothing. The bets have been placed, don't laugh just yet. Fifteen year old ships are long in the tooth and the maintenance requirements are much higher/costly. Even places like the Bahamas prefer registering ships 12 years or younger for a reason. It's not too far fetched to think a ship that has some age, has been rode hard and put away wet and now has fire damage would be scrapped. Especially, in the current debt environment.    

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Considering Freedom is likely collateral for part of the loans, the ship will be fixed.

I'm sure the insurance will be the same also now that it has a documented fire/damage and loses plausible deniability of unforeseen hazard potential and operational integrity. Slap some duct tape on her and get her back out would be great for the line but I don't think it's that simple.

1 hour ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I'm sure the insurance will be the same also now that it has a documented fire/damage and loses plausible deniability of unforeseen hazard potential and operational integrity. Slap some duct tape on her and get her back out would be great for the line but I don't think it's that simple.

Carnival has something like a $30 million deductible if they even still have insurance against loss of ship. Carnival is self-insured against loss of use.

We all know that we get alot of great informaton from our on board engineers.

The problem is that we also get some malarkey mixed in here and there,  so we have to stay frosty and help them out when we can.

for instance,   there are some engineers who think the wing is aerodynamic.   I say no chance it is aerodynamic yet the posting from the "real marine engineers" says something different.

So I am telling you.    Stay Frosty