Carnival Freedom Funnel Fire

d12j28

2 hours ago, Aplmac said:

Freedom FIRE at Turks. 26 May 2022-3.jpeg

Looking at this photo it looks like the exhaust has some sort of DPF (diesel particulate filter) system like on diesel trucks to help with emissions and soot. Could be wrong but maybe @chengkp75 can confirm or not if ships even use DPF systems. I know on the trucks they have igniters and heating elements that aid in the reburn or regen cycles. I also know that when my diesel truck goes into regen mode the exhaust gets super hot... could have been a clogged or overheated filter that caught the fiberglass on fire 

Edited by Matco

2 hours ago, charliesdad63 said:

So I just booked Freedom for 6/2. Any chances I'm going? LOL

Are they really still taking bookings or are you just trying to jump in front of this to get some FCC of some sort? I remember some folks doing this when covid was hitting and complaining when a few cruises actually sailed lol. One person in particular booked a bunch of these and was bragging about racking up all the FCC they received. Ironically, that same person often laments openly on why they don't receive cruise deals/offers lol. Coincidence or causation? Who knows.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Matco said:

Looking at this photo it looks like the exhaust has some sort of DPF (diesel particulate filter) system like on diesel trucks to help with emissions and soot

Nope.  If there is a scrubber, that would be down in the central funnel, or even lower in the ship.  I think that's pretty much burned on insulation, and a sampling line for the SOX/NOX meters.  The sections in the fin don't even appear to be large enough for the "silencers", just a wide section of pipe with some baffles to lower the noise level.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

They were all doing bad before the latest incidents. Carnival is up again today.

The whole market has had its ups and downs, mostly downs.

When it has its ups, as they say a rising tide carries stocks including Carnival.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

They were all doing bad before the latest incidents. Carnival is up again today.

I noticed you have not actually posted anything about the fire or the noxious fumes on another Carnival ship and told us how those are positive things. 🤣

And I really do not understand the Ha Ha reaction to my post about all cruise stocks have been taking a beating.

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I think when the general public sees or hears bad news about cruise ships, they consider the industry as a whole, not which cruise line any incident happened to.

yea but Carnival is the butt of a lot of jokes.  I sail on RCI and other but I also tells folks the newest Carnival ships are wonderful. I do not like it when on a RCI ship the cruise director makes fun of a smaller Carnival ship that might have been in port or just in general.  Bad taste I say.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

yea but Carnival is the butt of a lot of jokes.  I sail on RCI and other but I also tells folks the newest Carnival ships are wonderful. I do not like it when on a RCI ship the cruise director makes fun of a smaller Carnival ship that might have been in port or just in general.  Bad taste I say.

Thats why I hope there isn't any Royal Caribbean ships in Freeport when Freedom goes there

If there is no internal damage from the fire or firefighting operation they coul possibly but it back in. Service in a few weeks if they are willing to live with with temporary pipes going straight up.  

50 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

Looks like she may still be at Grand Turk?

Conquest hasn't even arrived in Grand Turk yet.  This update says that they will start moving passengers from Freedom to Conquest this afternoon. 

https://www.facebook.com/carnivalcruiselinemiamiblog/posts/pfbid031AftPMXRNqiMKJQ43q4hbF5MUh6xcp1mCRCQD3FCzjPkUxsTa3tNsXRZVmDm8ax4l

• Like 2

This was unfortunately a bad incident. However, we should not be surprised as things made by human and/or robotic hands will eventually break down. We see car fires, we need new watches and cell phones and at times our bodies also can break down. 

Carnival did have a contingency plan implemented, as a big corporations should, to quickly remedy he situation. That's what Ship repair facilities are built to do; repair older vessels!     

16 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

We did our very first Carnival sailing in March on the Mardi Gras (15th cruise overall). It was spectacular and we had an amazing time. I would highly recommend that ship and the Carnival experience. It was a lot of fun. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aplmac said:

Looks like she may still be at Grand Turk?

Still at Grand Turk.jpg

Yep. Carnival Conquest is not scheduled to arrive until 4pm today according to John Heald and then will depart tonight once all guests are onboard. Once guests are off the Freedom, she will head to Freeport for repairs. 

• Like 1

Carnival remains the number one Cruise brand in the World for a reason; they always provide a great value and entertainment for your hard earned dollars. I have been a Carnival loyalist for many years, have seen all of the negative rhetoric, have and am still recruiting new cruisers and have attempted to align all of us Carnival Cruise Nuts via these readings.   

Let the masses talk and out of respect I will listen. I will still continue to enjoy my Carnival cruises. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, jetsfan58 said:

Carnival remains the number one Cruise brand in the World for a reason; they always provide a great value and entertainment for your hard earned dollars. I have been a Carnival loyalist for many years, have seen all of the negative rhetoric, have and am still recruiting new cruisers and have attempted to align all of us Carnival Cruise Nuts via these readings.   

Let the masses talk and out of respect I will listen. I will still continue to enjoy my Carnival cruises. 

When you have the largest fleet in the industry it's only natural you'll have more incidents. Other than the Love Boat series, Carnival is responsible for introducing more people to cruising than any other cruise line. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jetsfan58 said:

I've seen better production of shows in my kids middle schools than I do on a Carnival ship.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, WheresWalter said:

We did our very first Carnival sailing in March on the Mardi Gras (15th cruise overall). It was spectacular and we had an amazing time. I would highly recommend that ship and the Carnival experience. It was a lot of fun. 

I hope to do the ship too but wish it would sail out of Miami or Ft Lauderdale since airport is closer.

I loved the Vista and I am doing the Horizon in Oct 2023 for Halloween.

• Like 1