Carnival Freedom Funnel Fire

d12j28

I am also on the June 11th cruise with a big group.  We got the RU1 promotion as well as the $300obc which we would lose if they canceled.  So we would still make out but it would be the 3rd time we had to reschedule.  Total of 6 rooms 

20 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

First off, Grand Bahamas does not work 3 shifts, only 2, so 16 hours/day. 

Yeah, that was more tongue-in-cheek more than anything else.

I was also going to point out that a photo taken at a random time with "no apparent work being done right now" doesn't mean that work isn't occurring regular - maybe it was lunch break or Miller time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Yeah, that was more tongue-in-cheek more than anything else.

I was also going to point out that a photo taken at a random time with "no apparent work being done right now" doesn't mean that work isn't occurring regular - maybe it was lunch break or Miller time.

Perhaps a Kalik.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRXGpK7gIebELEI8SQQWDf

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Heard this morning from a crew member onboard that they do expect to welcome guests back onboard for the 6/11 sailing (so I won't be booking that in hopes of a cancellation, lol). Of course, they could - and likely are - just telling what the company wants them to know. 🙂 

Tom

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, a,j,&fam said:

From that picture look just going do straight pipe up. Make me think of picture of past ship Carnivale, Mardi Gras, Festivale. 

Can't tell from the picture, it looks like they have removed the other exhausts, but maybe they were slightly damaged and needed replacement, or it is easier to install them in the new "fin" and then lift the whole thing up at once and connect up.

• Like 2

On 6/4/2022 at 9:03 AM, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Hum. I always thought any wing is aerodynamic. They are wing shaped are they not? Do they give less resistance to the ship? Doubt it. 

It's definitely more aerodynamic now,   according to the latest pictures

Edited by JRG
  • Haha 1

On 6/3/2022 at 9:54 PM, cruisingguy007 said:

And some said it could be fixed like it was nothing. The bets have been placed, don't laugh just yet. Fifteen year old ships are long in the tooth and the maintenance requirements are much higher/costly. Even places like the Bahamas prefer registering ships 12 years or younger for a reason. It's not too far fetched to think a ship that has some age, has been rode hard and put away wet and now has fire damage would be scrapped. Especially, in the current debt environment. 

Now please don't think this post went unnoticed.   I noticed it.   It's a longshot but there is some substance to your logic.

Gutsy call.  If there is any movement or late money on this horse please let us know.

Scrapping Freedom doesn't make a bit of sense given that she's already at a shipyard having work done, not to mention the fact that she's going to be earning badly needed revenue for CCL just as soon as she can safely sail again. 

Plus, as at least one person who seems to know what he's talking about has said, the damage isn't nearly THAT bad.

• Like 1

I feel for all the people sailing this weekend. People are going to be traveling in the coming days to get to the ship and this would be the first cruise since the fire! It would ease a lot of nerves if Carnival officially announced it is sailing but they probably won't do that until they for sure know it is sailing. So basically, it's sailing until it's not.😕

• Like 3

This was posted yesterday.  I know it’s probably common knowledge.  Sounds like they are kind of optimistic on the June 11 sailing.

Carnival Cruise Line stated, “We are grateful to our guests for their support as our team worked this weekend to bring them back to Port Canaveral on Carnival Conquest, and we remain proud of our Carnival Freedom crew who handled the situation on the ship effectively and according to safety protocols.”

The ‘Freedom’ will be out of commission until early June and its May 28, June 2 and June 6 departures have been cancelled to facilitate the repairs.

It is reported that repairs at the Grand Bahama Shipyard will be complete by June 10.

For now, the June 11 sailing is still scheduled to go ahead as planned. Guests booked on canceled cruises will receive a full refund on all monies paid and a 100% future cruise credit.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JRG said:

Now please don't think this post went unnoticed.   I noticed it.   It's a longshot but there is some substance to your logic.

Gutsy call.  If there is any movement or late money on this horse please let us know.

You do realize they're repairing the MINOR damage as we speak and she'll be back in service next week, right?  I think the only "substance" here is whatever the people who think she's being scrapped are smoking 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, Batman5924 said:

It is reported that repairs at the Grand Bahama Shipyard will be complete by June 10.

For now, the June 11 sailing is still scheduled to go ahead as planned. Guests booked on canceled cruises will receive a full refund on all monies paid and a 100% future cruise credit.

The key words there are "FOR NOW". That gives them wiggle room to cancel.

For the sake of those who are booked and planning to sail on 6/11, I hope everything works out and they do get to sail.

52 minutes ago, shof515 said:

looks soo strange without the unique whale tail funnel. looks like just regular average cruise ships to me now 

Carnival should work this to their marketing advantage - offer "limited time only" special ship pins (w/"new" funnel depicted on them)... lol

Tom

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, shof515 said:

looks soo strange without the unique whale tail funnel. looks like just regular average cruise ships to me now 

Freedom now a unique Carnival ship that doesn't have the signature "whale tale".

• Like 1

Its a longshot,   but I would add ScrapOrSell to the horse race (what caused the fire)

I'm going to set the morning line odds at 25 to 1.

It's a longshot but it belongs in the race.

• Like 1

FYI the Freedom is "mortgaged" as all of Carnival Corporation's ships are currently pledged as collateral for the current debt facilities.

I am not sure what Carnival's capitalization Policy is, but it is also capitalized and may have remaining book value as well. If that exceeds scrap value, Carnival would have to take a charge on their income statement for the remaining value of the ship.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JRG said:

Negative.  I have to point out that in your last post you are using Mortgage to describe a revenue-producing asset , which is subject to depreciation which will decrease its NBV (net book value) or carrying cost.     This is like trying to comprare a cruise ship soot fire to a kitchen grease pan fire.

So much wrong with this post, I just had to answer.  What use is depreciation or leasehold investment when there is no tax paid on the asset or its revenue?  Also, since the ships are owned by subsidiaries of the parent Carnival Corp, what leasehold investments would be made to satisfy "the customer"

Maybe in your mind, scrapping means selling the ship, but in my technical world, where precise terms matter, scrapping and selling are two distinctly different concepts, and no one in the industry would confuse or merge the two.

To say that "unloading" the Freedom because of a fire that likely cost less than the cost of one engine overhaul, which are done on each engine every 2.5 years, on new ships and old ships, makes "perfect sense" is just nuts.

And, what?  Ships are not mortgaged?  Tell that to Crystal Cruises.  And, capitalization is just adding mortgage interest to the cost of the vessel, it has nothing to do with getting money to build the ship.

It's good to get the facts right.  Always good.

• Like 3