Global Entry

Tedferg

Anyone applied for Global Entry recently? How long does it take? A friend said he waited a long time for an unterview but I also hear that some locations take walk ins.

We have a tight connection in Newark on our return from Quebec so we just applied for Global Entry.

2 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Anyone applied for Global Entry recently? How long does it take? A friend said he waited a long time for an unterview but I also hear that some locations take walk ins.

We have a tight connection in Newark on our return from Quebec so we just applied for Global Entry.

My wife just renewed hers. She did the interview over Zoom. Hint: check on Saturday or Sunday morning and you might be able to get a Zoom interview the same day. That's what worked for her.

This was a couple yrs ago, but Step 3 is what caused a delay for my wife of about 3 weeks (something in her background check they saw and they brought up in the interview).  Mine was conditionally approved w/in a week.  We then just scheduled our 1-1 interview and they had many openings in central FL.  We love GE, since TSA-Pre is part of it.  We plan to use GE when we go through the immigration stage in Vancouver for our NB Grand cruise in 2 weeks.

How to Apply for Global Entry | U.S. Customs and Border Protection (cbp.gov)

It’s easy. Just follow these steps:

1. Create a Trusted Traveler Programs (TTP) account. Regardless of your age, you must have your own TTP account.
  2. Log in to your TTP account and complete the application. A $100 non-refundable fee is required with each completed application.
  3. After accepting your completed application and fee, CBP will review your application. If your application is conditionally approved, then your TTP account will instruct you to schedule an interview at a Global Entry Enrollment Center. Each applicant must schedule a separate interview.
  4. You will need to bring your valid passport(s) booklet and one other form of identification, such as a driver’s license or ID card to the interview. If you are a lawful permanent resident, you must present your machine readable permanent resident card.
Edited by Grillfish

Thanks for replies, also FYI, it seems some credit cards refund the $100 charge. I assume this is just one refund per account. I initially thought it was an annual fee, but now find it is valid for five years.

25 minutes ago, shellbeachjim said:

My wife just renewed hers. She did the interview over Zoom. Hint: check on Saturday or Sunday morning and you might be able to get a Zoom interview the same day. That's what worked for her.

We renewed our global entry on line, answered some questions, got an immediate approval with no interviews.  The actual replacement card came within 5 days.

• Like 2

We just renewed ours late last year and it was quick and easy.  But a related note, if you renew your passport, be sure to take the new passport in to the enrollment center so they can attach it to your account.  You don't need an appointment to do this and it takes only a minute or two.  But your new passport needs to be scanned into their system in order for it to work at the airport.  

Again, thanks for updates. I expect initial application will take longer than renewal. We return from Quebec on Sep 30 this Fall and have a one-and-a-half-hour transit in Newark. Seems too short for Customs, TSA etc. so hoping Global Entry will work. The alternative is an extra four hour wait in Newark.

14 minutes ago, pompeii said:

We just renewed ours late last year and it was quick and easy.  But a related note, if you renew your passport, be sure to take the new passport in to the enrollment center so they can attach it to your account.  You don't need an appointment to do this and it takes only a minute or two.  But your new passport needs to be scanned into their system in order for it to work at the airport.  

I was able to do this online. Up until recently - our state did not have a Global Entry interview site which would have made it difficult to visit in person.

Edited by Coral

23 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Thanks for replies, also FYI, it seems some credit cards refund the $100 charge. I assume this is just one refund per account. I initially thought it was an annual fee, but now find it is valid for five years.

Yep, my venture care pays for mine.  Just applied yesterday. 

14 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Again, thanks for updates. I expect initial application will take longer than renewal. We return from Quebec on Sep 30 this Fall and have a one-and-a-half-hour transit in Newark. Seems too short for Customs, TSA etc. so hoping Global Entry will work. The alternative is an extra four hour wait in Newark.

If your connection is anything like ours, 1 1/2 hours is certainly not long enough. If it takes your luggage as long to get you as ours did, it will, in fact, be impossible. 

3 minutes ago, Jaymuxman said:

If your connection is anything like ours, 1 1/2 hours is certainly not long enough. If it takes your luggage as long to get you as ours did, it will, in fact, be impossible. 

I guess we should bite the bullet and take the earlier flight. Still will be nice to have Global Entry.

29 minutes ago, Retirement2016 said:

We renewed our global entry on line, answered some questions, got an immediate approval with no interviews.  The actual replacement card came within 5 days.

Same here!  Renewal was super easy.

1 minute ago, Tedferg said:

I guess we should bite the bullet and take the earlier flight. Still will be nice to have Global Entry.

Yes, it too depends where the GE office is located.  Initially, we had to fly to Denver (closest GE office)  and it was located outside of security.  Would have to go through security again.

It has been super fast through customs 

with just facial recognition. Like a lot if the ports are now.

The initial application and renewal have different requirements. Our initial interview had to be done in person (March 2022). How quickly you can schedule an interview depends on which airport you live near and how many appointments they have available. Call them - 

International Arrival Level
San Francisco, CA 94128
Phone: 650-877-4006

Try this info for Newark. 

Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR)
Address: Terminal B
Newark, NJ 07114
(Located on Level 1, behind domestic baggage carousel #1)

Contact Information: (973) 565-8000 ext. 8135 and/or ewrglobalentry@cbp.dhs.gov
Edited by Jeal

I just filled out our applications last week, which was accepted by the next day. The interview on the other hand is about 20 days away in MIA. I have heard, and keep trying to log back in every so often to see if anything becomes available sooner.

2 hours ago, Coral said:

I was able to do this online. Up until recently - our state did not have a Global Entry interview site which would have made it difficult to visit in person.

Interesting...I asked if it was necessary to come in and they said yes, I had to physically bring the new passports.  But we do have an enrollment site at our airport in Cleveland so maybe that is why.  I would have much preferred to do it online!

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

I just renewed my GE in Feb., online.  But I will need to renew passport next year.  I was just assuming I could do the update online.  Guess I’ll find out.  EM

I renewed by passport and went on TTP (Trusted Traveler Program) site and entered my new passport number on line.  

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Retirement2016 said:

I renewed by passport and went on TTP (Trusted Traveler Program) site and entered my new passport number on line.  

Maybe that is a recent improvement to the system.  In April 2021 when entering the new passport number on that website, I got a warning that I needed to take it to the GE office for processing. Luckily the Port Everglades office is only 15 miles away.  As others have noted, it didn't require an appointment and took all of 5 minutes while I remained in the waiting room. 

• Like 1

Just to add another experience, I submitted my renewal in Feb 2022, they charged my CC, and when I go in to check, it says pending review.

Since Feb! I just checked yesterday.

It does say that the expiration date has been extended, so I am not worried.

They have my money though...😛

My renewal was applied for and approved in a three day period. No interview.

I let my husband's lapse. He was conditionally approved in a three day period but the earliest appointment for an interview in El Paso (we are a 45 minute drive away) was three months away. We requested a change to Albuquerque (about 3.5 hours away) and he was interviewed within about six weeks.

DW and I were conditionally approved within 48 hours, Yay! Nearest interview location is SFO we are near Sacramento. Also, SFO has no appointments available!

Do we have to check every day for an appointment? I assume appointments will be snapped up as they come available.

Chase card automatically credited $100 in 24 hours, one per account. 🙂

Edited by Tedferg

Anyone had luck doing a walk in at Newark? Looks like we will not get an interview in time for our Sep 2022 cruise. We will reschedule to an earlier time at Newark and would try a walk in there to get GE completed.

Does interview have to be within 30 days of conditional approval?

Edited by Tedferg

We applied for Global Entry in early March. I was approved the me,t day (conditionally) for an interview. But DH was finally conditionally approved on May 22nd. We are fortunate as we can drive to an interview place which has nearly immediate interviews.

I am pretty sure that there is no requirement to interview within 30 days because you can interview when returning from a flight at The airport, provided you have your conditional approval.

8 hours ago, nini said:

We applied for Global Entry in early March. I was approved the me,t day (conditionally) for an interview. But DH was finally conditionally approved on May 22nd. We are fortunate as we can drive to an interview place which has nearly immediate interviews.

I am pretty sure that there is no requirement to interview within 30 days because you can interview when returning from a flight at The airport, provided you have your conditional approval.

OK we have decided to take earlier flight into Newark, it means a five hour wait there so hopefully we can do a walk-in interview. Even if we had Global Entry one and a half hours seems like a tight transit time.