Carnival Freedom in port today with a major change

jordanaire

Just drove past Port Canaveral and saw a really strange sight. The Carnival Freedom is back in port. At least most of it. The whale tail is missing! I guess they didn't have a spare one lying around. At least the ship is back in service. 

• Like 2

The Freedom will likely have the permanent repair made at her next scheduled drydock. This has not been announced, but based on sailings available for booking, there is a gap between September 21, 2023 (September 16 sailing) and November 5, 2023 (November 6 sailing)

• Like 1

When I saw that today on the Port Canaveral webcam, my initial thought was that I couldn't believe they'd put her back into service looking like that. 

But up closer, it really doesn't look bad at all.   And as along as mechanically everything has checked out OK  (and it -HAS-, right Carnival?) . ..then I commend them for putting her back in service and not screwing up the vacations of so many doublessly full loads of pax ...  just for something cosmetic and image-oriented.    I'll bet most of the pax  won't notice the difference anyway!

• Like 1

Just now, F27TW said:

When I saw that today on the Port Canaveral webcam, my initial thought was that I couldn't believe they'd put her back into service looking like that. 

But up closer, it really doesn't look bad at all.   And as along as mechanically everything has checked out OK  (and it -HAS-, right Carnival?) . ..then I commend them for putting her back in service and not screwing up the vacations of so many doublessly full loads of pax ...  just for something cosmetic and image-oriented.    I'll bet most of the pax  won't notice the difference anyway!

They'll immediately notice the difference when driving up to the terminal unless their name is Ray Charles. Carnival's funnel is distinctive and is in fact the company's logo. But as you said it is what it is and it's the best they could do without cancelling too many cruises. This isn't like when the Horizon needed repair and they had ships on standby.

• Haha 2

I think Carnival handled the entire situation with Freedom very, very well. The ship looks just plain "wrong" but that is a small thing that just brings a smile to my face. Good job Carnival!

• Like 1

Carnival needs to get her back in service and earning money!

Just remember Carnival is still in recovery mode
after 2 years of Covid Crap, bleeding money out!

This is a quick practical solution!

She'll get the new whale tail at her next scheduled dry dock.

FUNNEL FIX repairs.jpg

21 hours ago, May1cruiser said:

I asked if they could lower the whale tail to fit into smaller ports. Would like to see her in port of Tampa if a low profile "Mardi Gras" style tail so she would clear the skyway

21 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

I was speculating if she could fit under the Dames Point Bridge in JAX...

Stumpy coming into Nassau:

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

With a normal funnel, Freedom is 208 feet tall. I don't know how much height was taken off but I don't think enough when you compare it to Conquest there.

Freedom should have its normal funnel look back by the next time Carnival switches homeports