The Daily for Friday 06/17/2022

richwmn

Today is Eat Your Vegetables Day, Take a Road Trip Day, and National Flip Flop Day

Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.--Aristotle

Meal Suggestion for today - Fish and Chips
Drink of the Day - Makers Mark Redhead
wine of the Day - Barossa Valley Estate 2018 G-S-M (Barossa Valley)
Destination of the Day - Manzanillo, Mexico

Eurodam

Victoria BC, Vancouver Island, BC Canada 20:00 - 23:59

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 06/18

Nieuw Amsterdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 11:00 - 19:00

Nieuw Statendam

Stockholm, Sweden 07:00 -

Noordam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Oosterdam

Kusadasi, Ephesus, Turkey 07:00 - 18:30

Rotterdam

Flam, Norway 07:00 - 19:00

Westerdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 07:00 - 13:00

Zaandam

Quebec City, Canada 07:00 - 17:00

Zuiderdam

Tracy Arm & Juneau, Alaska 13:00 - 22:00

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief

0617World.thumb.png.b7a40b5cf3bd30456061517a1bf36d15.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 10

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.  Happy Friday!

I love veggies.  We're going on a road trip today, despite the high gas prices.  I don't like flip flops.

Love the quote.

The meal suggestion sounds good.  Hope the drink and wine are tasty.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 27

Thank you for the TGIF Daily, Rich.  I prefer rail or sea trips to road trips, almost never wear flip flops but try to eat vegetables every day.  I don't think I have been to Manzanillo.  Since I don't eat seafood I'll pass on the fish and chips.  My alternative is a Custom Lido Omelet, my final meal on MS Prinsendam June 17, 2015.  The photo is from my Adventure of the Seas cruise.

lastmeal.jpg

Today’s care list:

Heartgrove safe return home
Dr Fauci with covid
StLouisCruisers and DH in Covid jail
Melinda with stage 4 cancer
Heartgrove brother recovering from PEG insertion
1Angelcat frustration with medical system and hand issues
Buddy with continuing problems
Marshhawk telephone issues
From the rotation:
Strength, peace, and healing for kazu
StLouisSal with weakening legs
Cruzin Terri with continuing hand problems
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

All BHB hosting guest
jayhawk66 in NC Mountains beating the heat
aliaschief visit from daughter and grand-daughters
kazy booking followup cruise
Sharon in AZ in Venice to 6/19
Mister67 (Equinox to 6/18) Oceansaway16 (Allure OTS to 6/18), travelingbums (Jewel OTS to 6/20), Lady Hudson (Enchantment OTS to 6/24), VMAX (Oosterdam to 6/25),  StLouisCruisers, Red Haired Lady and kb4683(Island Princess  to 6/29) and  Norseh2o  (Insignia to 7/4) at sea
Vacationing Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 25
  • Thanks 9

Good morning.It is partly sunny and 65°F currently here in North East England.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

I never wear Flip flops but Pauline has lots of different pairs.

We eat lots of vegetables.

We often take road trip days and last week we went to the English Lake District and back for the day totalling 240 miles.

Interesting quote.

We both enjoy Fish and Chips.

Prayers for everyone on the care list.

Wishing everyone a safe day and lovely weekend.

Graham.

IMG_20210630_120922.jpg

• Like 28

7 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the TGIF Daily, Rich.  I prefer rail or sea trips to road trips, almost never wear flip flops but try to eat vegetables every day.  I don't think I have been to Manzanillo.  Since I don't eat seafood I'll pass on the fish and chips.  My alternative is a Custom Lido Omelet, my final meal on MS Prinsendam June 17, 2015.  The photo is from my Adventure of the Seas cruise.

lastmeal.jpg

Today’s care list:

Heartgrove safe return home
Dr Fauci with covid
StLouisCruisers and DH in Covid jail
Melinda with stage 4 cancer
Heartgrove brother recovering from PEG insertion
1Angelcat frustration with medical system and hand issues
Buddy with continuing problems
Marshhawk telephone issues
From the rotation:
Strength, peace, and healing for kazu
StLouisSal with weakening legs
Cruzin Terri with continuing hand problems
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

All BHB hosting guest
jayhawk66 in NC Mountains beating the heat
aliaschief visit from daughter and grand-daughters
kazy booking followup cruise
Sharon in AZ in Venice to 6/19
Mister67 (Equinox to 6/18) Oceansaway16 (Allure OTS to 6/18), travelingbums (Jewel OTS to 6/20), Lady Hudson (Enchantment OTS to 6/24), VMAX (Oosterdam to 6/25),  StLouisCruisers, Red Haired Lady and kb4683(Island Princess  to 6/29) and  Norseh2o  (Insignia to 7/4) at sea
Vacationing Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for posting today's lists Roy.

Graham.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. Thanks for the daily report.  I will happily eat my vegetables.  Perfect day for a road trip, only mine will be to the office.  Flip flops mean the beach to me.  I totally agree with the quote.  Meal suggestion is always a winner.  I haven’t been to today’s port and look forward to seeing the photos.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today, happy Friday!

• Like 22

Thanks for our TGIF Daily, Rich.

Interesting collection of days.  Love vegetables so I’ll happily celebrate.  The furthest road trip I am taking today is a trip to a friends for a lunch together. 😉 No flip flops in our house - I abhor them.  But, I do have one stack of Birks and am happily wearing them now that the good weather is here.

Love the Aristotle quote and the meal suggestion for today is always a good one.  Went to Manzanillo many, many years ago (decades) when I was much younger and single and explored a lot of Mexico.  Loved it!

Glad everyone is safe from the storms.  A huge one rolled through my home town where my sister lives.  They are ok but their neighbour’s pergola is now in their front yard!  It was pretty destructive - a pic from the paper on a downed tree.

31734FDF-1313-41D0-9673-1C9836E94A8B.jpeg.8bd9f5f88f7a65776f1bc0e5ecc11183.jpeg

We are fated for the stormy weather here for the next couple of days.  Lots of rain & t-storms.  No serious warnings yet thankfully although they are saying to watch the Bay of Fundy area. (What else is new? 😂)  I guess that means I either clean, sort more clothes or cruise plan.  Gee, I wonder which it will be?  😝 

My climbing hydrangea is teasing me holding off on blooming.

9ADFAA3A-1A07-4E74-8D20-F4062EEDA857.thumb.jpeg.3b4359c27120a7d8d50dd3b4bd777107.jpeg

And my clematis is teasing me too.  The first few blooms just popped out.

976192EF-6379-41D9-BC34-DF86C5FA6F05.thumb.jpeg.9b5ef537f7c78cc8adbc96d3e5e62194.jpeg

FE623860-3CEA-497C-B6C7-E5103AE42DD3.thumb.jpeg.3115f583fbe0a203086801947f826d36.jpeg

those little sticks you see are the old branches.  I don’t dare remove them as this huge clematis follows them each year to climb despite the other supports.  

Thanks to everyone yesterday for all the fantastic water fall pictures. 👍

@marshhawkreading about your phone issues - that happens here too.  I don’t know how these crooks steal our numbers to make it look like we are calling but they do.  Is it possible to just change YOUR phone number so that  you will no longer get the calls or the blame?

One planter in honour of DH - he always bought a pile of hibiscus and I grumbled under my breath.  But I bought one for one of his favourite planters for him.

2A7E0236-5853-4473-B901-B33B6FCDFA94.thumb.jpeg.318283e9bfb210e416f749fee097583e.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good Friday everyone.

0E3AE853-F35D-4287-A61C-5354DF8D4E91.jpeg.598812a92b99c5c122515cf5ebd86ebe.jpeg

Stay safe and please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 41
  • Thanks 3

Makers Mark Redhead cocktail:

Ingredients
1 1/4 parts Maker's Mark® Bourbon
Soda Water
1 splash Cranberry Juice
Garnish Lime Wedges

Instructions
Fill rocks glass with ice. Add Makers Mark® Bourbon, fill with soda water and add a splash of cranberry juice. Garnish with a lime wedge.

Screen Shot 2022-06-17 at 7.15.09 AM.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 6

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

I love vegetables and eat  them almost every day. No road trip for me until next week. I only wear flip flops to the beach and pool. 

Good quote from Aristotle. The meal sounds delicious. 

Wishing Jack, @Heartgrove, a safe drive home.

@marshhawk, Ann, that happened to the sellers who we bought the condo from in April. Actually it only happened to the wife's phone. I don't remember what she did and she is on a cruise right now or I would ask. I would at least mention it to your local police and see if they have any suggestions. Maybe there's a department for phone hacking now.

@1ANGELCAT I am so sorry for all of the medical issues. It seems like someone needs to get their act together and straighten this mess out. Meanwhile they haven't helped ease your pain and that is what I am really sorry about. 

It is 79 and overcast right now, but the sun should be coming out soon. 

I had a wonderful and blessed afternoon with my bonus family yesterday. For today I will rest some, go to the pool and then to the social this evening. 

Have a fabulous Friday everyone. 😀

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

Good afternoon from Burano!  No pictures of Burano yet but we did visit another church on our way to the Fondamenta Nuova.  Santa Maria Assunta Ai Gesuiti, officially dedicated to the Assumption of Mary, was built between 1715 - 1729. The Jesuits were responsible for the pastoral service. 

D23B05D8-D69A-494D-825D-F8625F83D276.thumb.jpeg.1c978494a167ab3e3ddf9c5fa0d127c3.jpeg

The central altar is magnificent. 
6E1C5E10-5E77-4683-8E26-9C0DAE8E2A28.thumb.jpeg.0ec1769d2a529fba1589853d50fd4dcc.jpeg

On one side is this spectacular marble shaped into drapery. 
C5F6AA47-2769-4197-8794-EAB1F0F27324.thumb.jpeg.fc603707ed81a5c037dceffedefb2e49.jpeg

And a Tintoretto on one side. 082768D8-00CE-4EF8-8981-3F2C00A2542E.thumb.jpeg.4fb143a628c60ce85557056475639a30.jpeg

884177B7-CF58-4DD0-B224-F8B013C983DF.thumb.jpeg.84893e51e88c80bef78f2715f4864e9f.jpeg

He was quite prolific. 

A snack before lunch.  Sardines in saor. 
8BA17869-23AD-49E8-9FFB-B5C54E49CAB1.thumb.jpeg.0bf10a55e9ef5d45c218181e72bd8dae.jpeg

And pulpo 

6B3AA290-F8DB-4CF4-88A4-F55D3D823E61.thumb.jpeg.2fa24a7e59e782d53dffddb78f836378.jpeg

We are hoping to have lunch at Gatto Nero.  

B4859B8A-353B-4D52-9833-A27B976BDFD9.jpeg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 7

Good morning, everyone.

It is a beautiful morning here in northeast Ohio.  Temps are supposed to moderate today and through the weekend.  Yesterday's rain never materialized, but we started to get cooler breezes in the afternoon.  My lawn guys were here and I kept bugging them to drink water yesterday morning.  Not much planned here today outside of doing my laps around the block and the pool.  Maybe I'll pull out the suitcase and think about clothes for my cruise.  Is it too early?

Fish and chips are one of my all time favorites.  Once I had to start watching carbs I changed it to fish and broccoli, but still enjoy it when I can get it.  There was a place in town that had the best fish and chips.  Sadly, they did not survive the pandemic.  The Spruce Eats give us step by step picture instructions on how to make this wonderful dish.  https://www.thespruceeats.com/best-fish-and-chips-recipe-434856

880236684_fishandchips1.thumb.jpg.b8ea8f0c097a546acffe17e615699ab0.jpg

Oh, my gosh.  I can hear the crunch.  @grapau27 Graham will have to weigh in here on whether this recipe is authentic or not.   But, it looks good to me!   https://www.daringgourmet.com/fish-and-chips/

1747437251_fishandchips2.jpg.852c2700b89451500b912cbd6f40a378.jpg

Alton Brown uses a different type of seasoning in his batter.  I think it would be good!  He also includes cornstarch for dredging.  I've seen them do that on America's Test Kitchen as well.  It helps get that super crunchy crust that makes this so good.  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/chips-and-fish-recipe-1906657

358263628_Fishandchips3.jpeg.8332f069cfe0fb04e98951d4a1b97806.jpeg

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine, the victims of gun violence, and our Daily family members who are struggling with challenges.  Cheers for all who are celebrating.  Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 10

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Another morning of blinding sunlight, as the sun comes up over the trees. Heading to the gym, then need to start weeding out in the kitchen. I did not far yesterday. An impromptu gathering with my neighbors intervened.  Of the six of us, only one other person besides me has not had COVID. I keep wondering if I have had it, but been asymptomatic. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy. Morning Dailyites! @StLouisCruisersspecial prayers for Buddy - that his surgery is successful and his recovery is quick and complete. Sandi, hoping that you & DH are doing ok and getting some good food and rest. 

I have tried telling this to Bindi, but she just ignores me…

E6A7C35C-16FB-449D-B634-AE2FE636F99F.jpeg.a78ea17c7bf598754c2b045451b0daad.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Barossa Valley Estate 2018 G-S-M (Barossa Valley)

I am a huge fan of G-S-M blends. My favorite is bottled by Hahn, but I am always willing to try new ones to compare. All in the interest of science, of course. This one has very good - excellent ratings and is widely available. Priced to become a House blend, if you like it. Online prices start at $9.99.

Winemaker Notes

Its name is an exquisite mouthful – and so is this wine. It may be hard to pronounce, but it’s easy to love. Grenache Shiraz Mourvèdre is a beautiful combination of these three majestic grape varieties perfected in a true Barossa Valley style featuring vibrant red berry fruits, fragrant spices, and delicate floral aromas on a smooth, silky texture.

Pairs perfectly with steak, charcuterie, duck, turkey and mushroom. Made to be enjoyed upon release yet will reward further cellaring.

WE90  Wine Enthusiast
This cherry-hued blend is fresh and modern. Despite some jammy characters, the strawberry and pomegranate fruits are bright and appealing, underpinned by floral and more meaty, savory spice tones. The juicy, silky fruit continues on the medium-weight palate, held in place by talc-like tannins. Chill down slightly and drink with barbecue fare on a warm day. Best Buy
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 3

Good Friday morning to all the Dailyites.

Thank you Rich and Roy for the lists.

I like the collection of days.  I make sure we eat our veggies every day.  I wish we would take more road trips and we do have one planned for next month when we go up to Williamsburg to visit some friends for a few days.  Flip-flops.  Not really a fan. Can’t stand the part between the toes.  It hurts.  However I have one pair that I use only when I go for a pedicure.

i love fish and chips.  However, I will go to a restaurant to have it.  Too much work right now.  

Like the quote.

i have not been to the destination.  

The weather here is very HOT.  I may try to get to the pool today.  I haven’t been there yet.  Just have not had the energy to do so.

Prayers for all on the cares list and for those with Covid. And cheers for those celebrating and cruising.  Stay safe.

God Bless.

Terri

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

I live in flip flops. All I wear. Get them from Lebanon. They have a fabric between the toes and doesn’t hurt. 

Debbie, I’m 5 months from my cruise and I’m already thinking about packing. 

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 22
  • Haha 5

Good Morning All!  Thanks for the suggestions about the phone.  Maybe there is a web site out there with guide lines on how to drive a telemarketer crazy, and my number is listed.  We did think about changing the phone number, but DH's mom cant remember where we live, it would put her over the edge not to know the number.  And if it is someone we know, that's just lost it, then they would know the new number.  We actually got a call after midnight last night.  We didn't answer.  And because so many of these callers are little old people like us, I doubt if they are on the dark web looking for revenge.

After our Florida trip and the price of gas rising, I cant justify another road trip.  I used to just get in the car and drive, and now I plan all trips to get from point A to point B so that all I places I need to go are in a straight line, and then home again.

Screen%20Shot%202016-07-27%20at%204.48.30%20PM.png

Not a big fan of flip slops, even though I have a ton of them.  The best ones are the bamboo ones I get from dollar tree.

193c976368cd63f6c818187f4f004c21.jpg

Not sure about eating any fresh veggies today.  It's go to a meeting, eating a burger day. I guess sautéed onions are a veggie??

531e10ca76f63090bf1f365597e65f8a.jpg

I love the quote, it is so true, and I love the meal of the day.  Does anyone else remember Arthur Treacher's Fish and Chips?  When I was working in NJ, that was our go to place every Friday for lunch.    Have a great day!

• Like 22
  • Haha 4

Good morning! It will be another sunny and stay in the pool day which we did most of yesterday. Daughter and little one head back today and Miss Lana Jayne will stay with Pop Pop and Nana until Wednesday. Daughter has to get back to her nurse duties.

Graham the fish and chips are huge! 
I tried flip flops one time and ended up seeing a podiatrist who stated flip flops are great for his medical practice! Now I wear my SAS sandals and they are fantastic. 
We visited today’s port of call last October on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Will check later but right now I’m busy being a grandfather. It’s taken me 40 minutes to get this far in my post!😁

Thanks for the Daily, list and shares! Enjoy the day.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5