The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday July 3rd, 2022

richwmn

Good Sunday Morning Dailyites!

@grapau27Thank you again for posting my morning "church".. The other day I asked DH where he wanted to cruise to, and he said he wanted to cruise around England.  I said I wanted to go to England to meet Graham and Pauline.  AND Father David.  And then he added Guadalupe, and I can do that without flying anywhere.

@Cruzin TerriI have not been to Hawaii either, nor has it even been on my list of places I wanted  to go.  Guess I'm just weird.  I did enjoy everyone's pictures that were posted yesterday.

My mirror is in a pink bathroom, the color of the room still makes me look blonde, so i had no idea that my hair had gone white, til I saw a recent picture.  i went into the bathroom, saw the blonde hair, and said, it must have been the camera.

This morning I am making quiche, watching Formula 1 and "vegging" out.  I am still tired even though I went to bed at 10 and slept til 7.  I am so tired, I thought that the meal of the day said Fried Egg, and I thought, finally a meal I can fix.

2.house-cat-mirror-see-ferocious-tiger-nov5.jpg

autumn_scarecrow_and_cats_aceo_by_natamon.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I once helped my mom build a scarecrow for our backyard garden; it was fun.  I'll compliment my mirror when it starts complimenting me - lately it's showing an aging face with a strange amount of wrinkles around her eyes.  I'm sure I look younger than that image.  Sometimes you have to stand up for what you believe in, even if it looks like you're being disobedient.

All quiet here on the "frozen tundra", the house is still sleeping.  Interesting thoughts from a 7 year old:  "Grandma, pigs and cows give us pork and beef, right?"  "Yes."  "And pigs and cows are friends, right?"  "Yes" "Well then, howcome in This Little Piggy Went to Market, the third piggy ate his friend?"    I reached for the wine.

Today we're going separate ways for a few hours - the boys are going to a museum while the girls are getting pedicures.  It's a chance for our DDIL to take a break from mothering and have an opportunity to just relax for an hour or so.  I think we might find an outdoor patio and enjoy an iced coffee after our treatments.

DH's sister is coming over later this afternoon to visit the family, and has told us not to make dinner, as she's going to order something.  I'm thinking it's either going to be Popeye's chicken or pizza, both family favourites, especially the littles.  Whatever it is, I'm sure it will include lots of fun and laughter around the table on the deck this evening.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra for the people of Ukraine who have more strength than most.  We'll raise the glasses tonight to celebrate all on the happy list.  Be safe, wear masks when needed, get your boosters and stay well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry 

• Like 36

Good morning, all! I enjoy the birds too much to put up a scarecrow, although it would give them a perch they might like. My mirror keeps telling me I’m getting fat. I’m not complimenting it until it gets some manners! A day for learning about the reasons for civil disobedience is interesting. Chicken fried rice from the remains of our butter chicken company dinner was already tonight’s game plan, so that’s easy. We haven’t been to today’s port, so all pictures are much appreciated!

We are back on the mainland. DH has an MRI on Tuesday, so taking the ferry back on Saturday made the most sense. This is a year where the Canadian and American holidays are Friday and Monday of the same weekend, so the ferry traffic is complete chaos. Years where the holidays are one weekend after another are much less chaotic.

It is now under 3 months until we are on the Zaandam for the first leg of our 220 day journey around the world. There still seems to be a lot of planning to do. 
Happy Sunday, everyone, and hoping your turn on a BHB comes soon!

• Like 31

Good morning from Seattle. It was early to bed after a light appetizer in Marriott’s Airport restaurant. Awaiting Concierge room to open for breakfast then back to airport to pick up our rental car. It will be a leisurely drive down the coast as the beach house is not ready until 5 PM.

I look in the mirror and say who the hell is that!  Then a prayer of thanks that my image is still reflecting back.

I love fried rice and that is probably why the guy in the mirror looks different.

Rich thanks for the Fleet Report and may all you continue to enjoy your Canada Day and Fourth of July weekend holidays!

• Like 31

1 hour ago, Cat in my lap said:

Thanks for fleet report  and daily!  Best wishes to all!

We are about packed for our flight tomorrow!  

Best wishes for tomorrow.

Hope you have an amazing cruise on Zaandam.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Happy Sunday. Our day started with the hot water heater giving up the ghost.  It was installed in 2008 when the previous one had popped after not being drained properly for the winter.   Of course it is a holiday weekend and our last plumber has moved to Alaska.  I will call our builder for a recommendation.  I will probably go down to DS cabin and get the kettles she uses for heating water in her rough cabin.  

Have a great weekend everyone and thanks for the Daily Reports.   Prayers for all needed them and for the people of Ukraine. 🙏

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

Ok, this morning's chuckle:   On the Navigator app it lists the ports of Hellesylt and Molde.  On the itinerary page on the HAL website it says Geiranger and Ulvik.  Not sure who to believe.

• Like 12
  • Haha 14

Good morning from sunny, but windy Gander.  We finally made it here (with bags) at 4:15 a.m.  Pat and DD are still asleep, it’s almost noon here.  Thanks for the Daily news.  Today we’re going to take it easy, tomorrow I think we’re going to Twillingate for whale or iceberg hunting, and then a proper Newfoundland lobster supper.  I’m looking forward to that!  

I have to recommend AirTags during this risky time for luggage.  I was able to track our bags as they moved around with us.  Montreal airport definitely was short staffed.  There were cheers when pilots or cabin crew arrived for flights, and it took over an hour for them to find people to load the luggage onto the plane.  We were supposed to leave at 8, but kept getting delayed until 11:30.  We finally took off at 12:45.  

Pat has to shut up about my forgetting my glasses when we left!  When we went to take our evening meds, he discovered he had brought an empty bottle of one of his BP drugs!  We will have to see if he can get a refill here.  

Thinking of you all today,  Happy Fourth of July  tomorrow, in case I’m not around.  

• Like 29

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Sunday Daily, Rich.  I'll pass on the scarecrow, don't like the mirror but disobedience sounds appropriate for the July 4 season.  I love the Sparks quote but have not been to Miyako.  Fried Rice sounds nice but probably not good for my blood sugar.  My alternative is Caesar Salad, Roasted Goose, and Strawberry Ice Cream as served on Queen Mary 2, July 2, 2022.

dishes02.jpg

Roy

That meal looks really good..... I love goose but usually only at Christmas.

Susan

• Like 21

Good morning all!

It's a drizzly morning here, but we do need a little rain so that's good.  I won't have to water today.

I won't be building a scarecrow, try to avoid mirrors when I can, and am always obedient (🤣)

I love fried rice!  But as others have said, it isn't good for my blood sugar.  So we don't have it often. I try to add lots of protein (eggs and bacon or other meat or shrimp) and veggies so there isn't as much rice.  It reminds me of my Mother, who made it when I was growing up.

Maybe it would make a good dinner tomorrow but today we're going to DS and DDIL's for dinner.  It's a belated Father's Day bbq.  We'll also see the progress on the renovations of the house they bought (remember all the trials and tribulations about that!)  They're still hoping to be able to move in late September, but there's a lot left to do.  

The wine and drink also sound good.  Have never been to Asia.

Yesterday something happened that I'm still worrying about.  I was in the garage after gardening, and a small squirrel ran into the garage --- and was never seen again ---  any advice???  I stayed out there for a few hours hoping to see it leave again, and looking for it, but no luck.  In all the years we've lived here, this has never happened.  😕

• Like 27

Good morning everyone. Sam is feeling well so we can take him off the prayer list, and thank you all for your wishes for his recovery.

Today we will spend a quiet day around the pool with nothing special planned.

Our youngest grandson is traveling in Israel with his camp and so far having a great time. 
Have a Happy 4th everyone as we celebrate America and the freedoms we take for granted.

Stay safe,

Carol

• Like 28

Good Morning All,

Our bed never felt as comfortable as it did last night. After 3 different beds, and only 1 being comfortable, I slept like a log last night. The cabin we had at Grand Canyon had a duel, and it had no support and was floppy. I feared falling out much of the night. 

Thursday we drove the lovely road (89) to Cameron, and ended up in their dining room 3 times. It was a highlight. The jewelry display was out of this world, as was the Gallery. Having pre-decided I was not buying anymore jewelry (my 2 squash blossoms rarely “come out from the safe to play), I gave into temptation and got a sugilite set of earrings. And My DH fell for a “sculpture” of Apache dancers, which they were able to package up for travel. 😁
676060F9-8E73-45FF-9562-3A497F20BBE4.thumb.jpeg.56cc31e6ef93bc890d10bd5a855d42d8.jpeg

F52A7E43-01B1-4261-8B0E-DA03051913FC.thumb.jpeg.c21bd3543c6ba2a04e68046353b76ca5.jpeg

CAC5ECA7-10CF-43D7-BAAC-AAE4F034D0E6.thumb.jpeg.a751d06ea8aa3c52bca3ef9f3ecd5fb6.jpeg
Friday we poked around the canyon, and got into Kolb Studio ( which I believe was closed previously for Covid).

So today it laundry and clean up for us!

Have a great day everyone!

9B123B77-0E8C-4886-9A61-D29DC3D56C81.jpeg

106DE295-4EF7-4774-82C5-3B55A8F3C2A0.jpeg

C88CDCF2-3BFB-4B24-A70F-10CFD101D8D3.jpeg

21D1AA5F-892B-453D-A945-DDBD2D5C6F48.jpeg

• Like 33
  • Thanks 6

Good morning from a dreary, rainy Durango. It is lovely. The dogs were not thrilled with the rain when we went out and I will have to take them out again shortly. Bandit plowed on and did his business, but Monty turned and headed for home and refused to leave the porch. I need to buy him a little raincoat. Anyway, it is supposed to stop shortly and then resume this afternoon so I will seize the moment when it comes.

Evidently our drone show went well last night. Certainly much safer than fireworks.

Back to sorting and clearing this morning.... not to mention doing some laundry. Think I will use the afternoon to just settle in and read. It is that kind of day.

Susan

• Like 28

I made it to the store and back before it got hot, but not before there were lines at the checkout.  I guess others had the same idea I did.  I'll get the watermelon cut up and in the refrigerator, then spend the rest of the day relaxing with book.

@ger_77  Gerry, sounds like everone is having a great time.

@ottahand7  Sorry about the waterheater.  It seems like the go out on weekends, especially holiday weekends.

@dfish  IIRC, when we had an itinerary change this spring and the website and Navigator disagreed, the wbsite was correct.

@Vict0riann  Ann, I glad you, Pat and the bags all made it to Gander safely, even if it was at 0 dark 30..  Hope Pat can get his prescription refilled.

@Cruising-along  You might want to check under the hood and under the car.  Squirrels will make a nest in the engine, and they can gnaw on the wires.  I hope this is not the case.  He might have a nest someplace else in the garage.

@mamaofami  Carol, that is good news that Sam is feeling well.

@TiogaCruiser  Thank you for your great pictures.  The Grand Canyon never ceases to amaze.

Lenda

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Ok, this morning's chuckle:   On the Navigator app it lists the ports of Hellesylt and Molde.  On the itinerary page on the HAL website it says Geiranger and Ulvik.  Not sure who to believe.

Gotta love a mystery cruise....😉

• Like 16
  • Haha 12

56 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I have to recommend AirTags during this risky time for luggage.

For my last trip, I started using one in my checked bag. I'm becoming quite anxious about the August-September trip, because it involves a transit of Amsterdam Schiphol in both directions, but more about delay or cancellation of flights than specifically about baggage -- on the outbound, I have three days on shore before embarkation, and on the return, since I'll be at home, it's less critical. I find myself checking the booking almost every day.

But, because of baggage concerns, I've started carrying an international-size carry-on bag aboard instead of only a small cabin bag. I chose a non-wheeled one so that it can ride on a larger rollerbag when needed, but non-wheeled carry-ons are becoming hard to find and it was a discontinued model. The new version has wheels.

• Like 27

18 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

You might want to check under the hood and under the car.  Squirrels will make a nest in the engine, and they can gnaw on the wires.  I hope this is not the case.  He might have a nest someplace else in the garage.

You're right, it happened to my Dad (and his car was parked outside). 😞  Will definitely check that. 

He (she) looked more lost/bewildered/confused when it ran into the garage, but I don't know.  

@Vict0riannwe have also used Air Tags (gift from DS) and love them.

@dfishThe Navigator is notorious for having wrong info, we learned that on our last cruise! 

• Like 22

@Cruising-alongI wish you luck with the squirrel. Lucky you saw it enter. Some years ago when we were living in the townhouse we did not know about the chipmunk until we smelled it. Found it buried in an open box - a shallow box that he could have easily escaped but he was probably scared and just hid until it was too late. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

But, because of baggage concerns, I've started carrying an international-size carry-on bag aboard instead of only a small cabin bag. I chose a non-wheeled one so that it can ride on a larger rollerbag when needed, but non-wheeled carry-ons are becoming hard to find and it was a discontinued model. The new version has wheels.

I still use a wheeled carry-on....but everyone else in our family have switched to travel-size backpacks....

travel backpack.jpg

• Like 21